P&W advice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sjamesbrown, Feb 9, 2012.

1. sjamesbrown

sjamesbrown Member

heres my rig

72 vintage american tele->boss cs3->boss bd2->ts9->lpb1 boost->ernie ball vp (tuner out)->strymon timeline->dd7->rv5->Vox ac15c1

any advice for my rig? pedals? amps for stereo to compliment my vox ac15c1?

2. telepunk

telepunk Member

Unless there is just something you want, you got the bases covered for pretty much anything!

You might like a Tremolo pedal instead of having to rely on the tremolo in your amp. Maybe a POG, but the Timeline does the ICE thing. One more flavor of dirt maybe? Maybe a Rat, or I love my Blackstone OD with my tele and that exact amp. I also liked the Kalamazoo a lot with that setup.

3. sjamesbrown

sjamesbrown Member

im thinking of a tremolo. will be getting a bypass strip from my friend! so im thinking of getting the Tuna Melt. My timeline hasnt come yet (2 more days) is the trem option good enough to replace a tremolo pedal?

4. telepunk

telepunk Member

No it's not really. Not if you want true tremolo sound. The Timeline trem is cool, but it's only applying tremolo on the repeats, so it's much more subdued than a true tremolo.

5. sjamesbrown

sjamesbrown Member

oh okay so its really only good for ambient stuff?
    what are your recommendations? is tap really necessary for tremolo?
    also do you know what amp could compliment my ac15c1 to give it a really full sound?

6. hktk

hktk Member

I would have said your pretty set. The only thing I would recomend is if your running your tuner in the vp tuner out, you might want to get the buffer mod done.

7. telepunk

telepunk Member

The Timeline is great all around - not just for ambient stuff.

If you want a good tap tremolo with multiple wave forms I would recommend (as would others) the Cusack Tap A Whirl. I got mine used for $175. I have seen people selling them used for much more, but if you're patient you can get a good deal.

I have not played these, but the Diamond Trem and the Empress Trem are favorites around here as well, and both feature tap tempo and multiple waves.

Tap tempo is HUGELY useful for me, but it depends on how you use tremolo. If you only use it for the standard, slow, throbbing, sine-wave sound then there are cheaper smaller options (Like the Swamp Thang, TR-2, etc.), but if you want versatility I would pick one of the three listed above. I really, really like the features, function, and sound of the Tap A Whirl.

If you are thinking about a second amp in stereo you might want to consider something with EL34 tubes. I don’t know what your price range is…but, you could try a Blackstar 20 for something in the same price range as your other amp. Or, I have seen guys run something completely different opposite of a Vox like a Fender Deluxe, which can be had for $400 - $500 used.

8. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

if you want a simple trem, don't get the tuna-melt, get the Garagetone Tremolo... only $60ish new, and sounds better than alot of other tremolo's with the same features

9. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Or the Line 6 Tonecore Tap Tremolo if you have a way to power it.

10. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I personally would replace the BD-2 with a heavier drive. But thats my personal preference.

A DDRI would be a good stereo compliment to the AC15. Or something Marshall-esque. I am running an AC30 and a JTM45 right now.

11. JRBain

JRBain Member

This. I love my phaser, and I think some kind of modulation can be very useful to differentiate you from any other guitars that might be playing, but if you're happy, that should tell you something.

12. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Empress Effects Tremolo, for sure.

13. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

I would also say tremolo, preference to Empress.

As a general rule, you can always upgrade to more boutique options, but only change if you need a different sound, not just because a pedal's great. There are too many great pedals out there to play that game.

14. JTL

JTL Member

:mmm please don't think the Almighty requires you to have boo-teek gear. Lenny LeBlanc's guitar player uses a pre-historic POD and Boss pedals and has better tone than all of us combined.

15. SteveO

SteveO Member

God gets His effects with His fingers. :D

16. sjamesbrown

sjamesbrown Member

It's kinda hard to do a tremolo effect with your fingers though.. I think God would agree :)

17. mike_engel

mike_engel Member

I love the fulltone supa-trem...hard/soft switch, switch to double or half speed, and big knobs to move mix/speed controls with your toes. I got mine $90 used...the tap a whirl looks cool...I would love both but trem is my favorite effect!

18. SteveO

SteveO Member

Yeah, but the joke was just too good to pass up!

19. sjamesbrown

sjamesbrown Member

20. Once Far Off

Once Far Off Member

I would maybe look into another drive to go with the BD-2? An SD-1 or a TS?