P&W dudes - How many gain stages u got?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kluch, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Lpmusicservices

Lpmusicservices Member

I've got 5+... guitar volume (no vol pedal here) > Radial boost/buffer > fulldrive (boost) > sparkle drive > supatrem (has a clean boost). Having any combinations of these yield different colors, saturation, and compression characteristics. I've yet to experience a tone that can't get in the ballpark with these combinations.

2. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

So a dirt pedal is now a "gain stage"?

3. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Oh yeah... well I was playing through an Orange that had 4 gain stages. I am not sure how many my Morgan has... 2 I think.

4. V

V Gold Supporting Member

Yeah...that's what I was thinking. A pedal is not typically a gain stage. A gain stage is basically one or two active devices arranged in usually class A or class AB arrangement for audio applications using transistors or tubes or usually in a negative feedback inverting or non-inverting arrangement for op amps.

For example, a Big Muff alone is 4 gain stages.

Not that I play P&W but I typically have 25 gain stages on my board in the analog pedals and I am not sure what is inside the strymon ones. We know they have at least a buffer each (yes, a buffer is also a gain stage. It has a gain of 1). There's surely more than just that in there.

JCM800 preamp is 3-4 depending on what input plus a phase inverter which would technically also be a pair of gain stages. Then of course the class AB power amp...

5. Bayoutigers8

Bayoutigers8 Member

Emerson Em Drive as clean boost , Walrus audio Voyager, and a fulltone OCD. I dont try to cop anyones style mine is simply rock n roll lol. And yes i play on a stage and at a home church. Tone and effects are subjective. Havent had a chance to use the OCD (in a live setting) yet, but the Em in front of the Voyager is great.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member

I understand that a pedal isn't a technical gain stage, but my only OD pedal is a HBOD so for me that truly is a first gain stage. Then I boost after that.

7. papersun

papersun Member

nevertheless, I think we all understood what the threadstarter meant.

8. Guitarman19853

Guitarman19853 Supporting Member

Current Board's Gain Stages

1. Fulltone '69 Fuzz
    2. Home made transparent light overdrive based on a insect
    3. Full Drive 2
    4. (Technically) Full Drive 2 Boost Channel
    5. Catalinbread DLS
    6. Paul C Timmy.

And yes, I use them all! :)

[​IMG]

9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

LOL

[​IMG]

10. ryancadams

ryancadams Member

Fulltone FD 2 (nonmosfet) - T1M Pearl - Timmy

11. whitestrat13

whitestrat13 Member

Currently:
    1. Fulltone ocd
    2. Fulltone Fulldrive

Soon to be:
    1. Pedal Monsters Klone Jr
    2. Walrus Audio Mayflower
    3. JHS Morning Glory

12. slap_back05

slap_back05 Member

That's about 5...

13. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I have two pedal board set ups that I use.

One features Wampler Paisley, the other I use the Sarno Earth Drive.

If I need a boost, I will use my Diamond Tremolo.

But.. I am attempting to find my own sound, and not necessarily copy a " Hillsong - Jesus Culture, etc tone."

I have been attempting to play songs with more dynamics... if I stack my ODs once a great while, cool. It can offer a nice tonal character, thats unique to each guitar that I am using. But I have to watch myself, not to become too obsessive with too many overdrives:drown

I am in a musical season of "less is more" and trying to play to serve the song.

14. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

As far as gain contributors- I run a SGD that I rarely use in P&W, and then a Model G into HBOD into SYOD. I basically use these sounds:

-HBOD alone: The HBOD is basically always on, and at very low gain- on the bridge pickup it has slight dirt, none in the middle or neck position on my SG with vaguely medium output pickups. With my Suhr Classic T Custom it does not distort as all, and only contributes the EQ and sag to the tone- no overdrive.

-Model G into HBOD: Great for medium gain rhythm work or cleanish lead tones with my SG. Does not sound aggressive. Think the intro to Sing To The Lord or From The Inside Out by Hillsong- overdriven but cleanish and not aggressive sounding. On my Suhr, this stack tends to be smooth leadwork on the neck of the T, and the bridge has a great rhythm medium to low gain tone.

-HBOD into SYOD- My primary lead tone. Singing, can get aggressive on the bridge pup, neck is balanced, middle is rock. Cuts through the mix for leads that I want to pop. Medium gain, but much more aggressive EQ and more in your face. On a rhythm chord it is closer to distortion than smooth overdrive. I often use this stack and roll my volume knobs for different textures, and to keep my guitar where I want it between leads on bridges/chorus/verse etc. This is my main "GAIN" tone on either guitar. Obviously, fatter and more singingly melodic on the SG, a little less aggressive gain wise but brighter and more soaring / floating on the Suhr T.

-Model G into HBOD into SYOD: If I need a true distortion on a lead on the SG, this is my preferred stack. More commonly, I use it with my Suhr T's lower output pups to get it into the same gain range as the HBOD/SYOD with my SG. Its medium to high gain, but more like a dimed JTM or JMP or Bassman than it is a JCM or Mesa sound. Its still very vintage sounding, and not nearly as compressed as you'd think with three fairly low compression ODs, partly because they are all run at very low, to low-middle gain. The total amount of gain from these three is about the same as a Fulldrive with the gain most of the way up. Still much below any of the true high gain sounds the SGD or my Budda amp gain channel can rip if necessary.

-Very rarely I use the SGD on its own, or into the HBOD depending on the sound I want. I tend to use it when I really want an 80s sound, even though its voiced a bit more modern and less compressed than most of the 80s tones you typically think of. I definitely use it in the High Gain category when I do use it. Lately I've been trying out a second SYOD (v3 this time!) with the gain maxed, and the mids knob to taste depending on the part, for a high gain sound. I am still experimenting with if this is sound I prefer to the SGD or not... maybe a few more gigs to figure it out!

I also have a SBEQ that is always on at unity volume, a v1 PGC compressor that is extremely subtle and I run it below 9oclock additionally, and a one off colored BPB that is set for my solo boost volume jump. Obviously there are other stacks that I don't really use often (Model G or SYOD on their own, or MG into SYOD without HBOD) and those are textures that I've used a lot in the studio, but they just aren't the core of how I really use my rig these days since I tend to keep the HBOD always on for lead work. Sometimes I'll use the SYOD by itself for a bright snappy rhythm passage that I really want out front, sometimes I'll use just the Model G on the neck pup of the Suhr T for a sort of edge of breakup on a Tweed Bassman tone. But those are pretty rare instances.

Alternatively, I played an Americana gig last week and I ran the Bearfoot SYODv3 at medium gain, into the Bearfoot Honey Bair at lowish gain, into a Bearfoot SBEQ always on, and a Carbon Copy always on for a little space. I used the SYODv3 by itself for crunchy rhythm gain, Honey Bair for cleanish leads, SYOD into Honey Bair for dirty leads, and no gain pedals for clean rhythms. It was a fun setup with 4 different gain sounds than my normal rig, definitely optimized more towards lead and rhythm work off the same rig/guitar, vs my normal setup which is for 90% lead work.

15. jason41224

jason41224 Member

Morning Glory
    MG + Bogner Blue w/o boost
    MG + Bogner Blue w/boost
    MG+ Fnord Fuzz

on top of that, a SHO clone at the end of the chain for solos

16. venivici

venivici Member

Superbolt
    Morning Glory
    King of Tone
    (EP Booster)

I like the way they sound. I happen to play P&W.

17. mayer95

mayer95 Member

Right now I run with a Double Barrel, Bluesbreaker, and Mayflower. Hoping to get rid of the DB for a Moonshine or Sick As.

I also have to rely almost solely on my pedals for my OD tones. Can't crank my amp too much. I play for around 100 people each week and our room is way too small for a HRD....

18. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

Prince of Tone (dist mode) -> Tim -> A slightly dirty TA-15 on the TB channel. Can also kick over to the TA-15's Tweed channel where it's a bit dirtier. I guess that gives me 3 selectors, which means I have 8 permutations to choose from.

19. wesc

wesc Member

I have three ODs, but really just use two as gain "stages". First is a SHO clone with some extra controls and a different transistor which is just an extremely transparent light od. Second is a Timmy. Third is a Maxon OD Pro. I really just use either the Timmy or SHO as a clean boost for when I use lower output pu's which isn't too often. Whichever one isn't acting as a clean boost is my slight breakup sound. OD Pro is for leads and big rhythms. I mostly play Hillsong, Bethel, Worship Central type music as well as some original music which is a bit more Killers/Coldplay/St. Lucia sounding. I've had much more complex rigs with 5 or 6 ODs and it just was too much to think about and I always thought the drives I have now we "my" sound. The other guitar player I play with usually uses a Marshall or fender, so out sounds compliment well. My amp is either an AC 15 with one 57 at a 45 degree angle on the edge of the speaker or an eleven rack modeling a Matchless and royer 121 setup (which honestly sounds better surprisingly).

20. tgartke

tgartke Member

EP booster > Kot > Timmy.

I use the Ep as a dirty boost, i use the kot for two different od levels, then the timmy as either a clean boost, more distortion saturation, or whatever I require.