P&W Players: what’s your delay/Reverb of choice?

Which company are you using for delay/Reverb?

• Strymon (duh)

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • GFI

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Line 6

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Source Audio

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Boss

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • Empress

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other (reply)

Votes: 24 22.6%

• Total voters

kstrat62

I'm using a DD-500, Line 6 echo park and an EH Canyon for delays. Reverb is TC HOF and I set the canyon for ambience stuff.

TimH

Unfortunately, they do, but they are joined by worship leaders who enforce the "play it and sound like the record" directive. Once the WL's pick up on the brand names....

Coming from a worship leader’s perspective (‘‘tis my job):

I ask our players to stick pretty close to the record...but not for the reasons I think you’re insinuating here. We have over 50 players and our bands are different every week. Across those 50 players we have some really talented musicians but we also have some less talented. Even so, we have a pretty high standard to maintain and we only practice for about 3 hours for each Sunday and play five songs. Sometimes the keys changes etc etc.

So, the only way I’ve found to set them up for a win is to give them a model. We use Rehearsal Mix via MultiTracks to do that. We ask them to study parts so they know what they’re playing in advance and the other players know as well. They can rely on each other and help each other along when things aren’t going well. It also helps our sound guys to know what they’re listening for when mixing. We tend to think the pros who spent hours pouring over those parts and mixes are really talented, more talented than anyone at my church including myself, so we leverage their smarts to get where we’re going smarter and faster.

We don’t do it to be cool or showy. Actually, it helps us focus on something other than music from time to time...like worshipping Jesus and our discipleship process.

I guess maybe that stifles some people’s creative process...in which case we frequently say “there are much better places to play music than our church” and let them find their way to those places. Fortunately I don’t have too many people who feel stifled...in fact I don’t have any on my teams that I’m aware of.

Just a bit of perspective to share. Not asking anyone to agree or change their mind :)

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Coming from a worship leader’s perspective (‘‘tis my job):

I ask our players to stick pretty close to the record...but not for the reasons I think you’re insinuating here. We have over 50 players and our bands are different every week. Across those 50 players we have some really talented musicians but we also have some less talented. Even so, we have a pretty high standard to maintain and we only practice for about 3 hours for each Sunday and play five songs. Sometimes the keys changes etc etc.

So, the only way I’ve found to set them up for a win is to give them a model. We use Rehearsal Mix via MultiTracks to do that. We ask them to study parts so they know what they’re playing in advance and the other players know as well. They can rely on each other and help each other along when things aren’t going well. It also helps our sound guys to know what they’re listening for when mixing. We tend to think the pros who spent hours pouring over those parts and mixes are really talented, more talented than anyone at my church including myself, so we leverage their smarts to get where we’re going smarter and faster.

We don’t do it to be cool or showy. Actually, it helps us focus on something other than music from time to time...like worshipping Jesus and our discipleship process.

I guess maybe that stifles some people’s creative process...in which case we frequently say “there are much better places to play music than our church” and let them find their way to those places. Fortunately I don’t have too many people who feel stifled...in fact I don’t have any on my teams that I’m aware of.

Just a bit of perspective to share. Not asking anyone to agree or change their mind :)

Thanks for the courteous reply. No insinuations intended. In a large church environment with multiple players/bands of varying levels, and certain pastoral expectations, your approach is practical. It probably includes other considerations including IEM's, click tracks, recorded tracks, no amps, and so on.

There is nevertheless a corroborated and confirmed story that people looking to play at Bethel have to submit pictures of their pedalboards along with performance tracks as part of the audition process. That's more what I was referring to.

TimH

Thanks for the courteous reply. No insinuations intended. In a large church environment with multiple players/bands of varying levels, and certain pastoral expectations, your approach is practical. It probably includes other considerations including IEM's, click tracks, recorded tracks, no amps, and so on.

There is nevertheless a corroborated and confirmed story that people looking to play at Bethel have to submit pictures of their pedalboards along with performance tracks as part of the audition process. That's more what I was referring to.

Just out of curiosity...does that seem practical for Bethel too? I mean, how many guys do you think they have trying to join the team each year? And they have a standard that includes a sound and the ability to play to a click and record every week.

I know my pal just got back from Hillsong College and the standard there is play every part from every record, 4 records deep by memory. Phew. But if you have 100 electric guitar players I guess you can ask that...

Gibs210

Current pole results have me thinking that strymon isn’t the “duh” response the OP had thought. Sorry, had to rub it in some :D

see sig below.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Helix Floor now, before selling pedals it was SA Nemesis/Ventris.
Are you seriously denying the guys like Pope, Hislop, Hendroff and Kunde don’t drive the P&W instagram gear market?
Fixed that ;)

Just out of curiosity...does that seem practical for Bethel too? I mean, how many guys do you think they have trying to join the team each year? And they have a standard that includes a sound and the ability to play to a click and record every week.

I know my pal just got back from Hillsong College and the standard there is play every part from every record, 4 records deep by memory. Phew. But if you have 100 electric guitar players I guess you can ask that...
Curious on the Hillsong, is that just the main audible parts or also the ones that are buried with 4 other guitar parts under the pad-y synth-y stuff? (I like Hillsong just fine.

Also re: the whole submit a picture of your board at bethel, when you are a part of a group who puts out music that gets played in churches all over, then you are gonna need gear to sound ballpark if you want to play for them. The Stryfecta and PBC and all that may not be required, but if your board is tuner-Rat-Carbon Copy you may be able to play their parts perfect but that’s not gonna fit in with the sound they want. If that’s an issue, again there are other places you can go and contribute with what you have.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I can't do it with only one delay. I use one always on for ambience and one for special effects. I just rebuilt the board with a TC Delay for ambience, Dr. Scientist reverb, and a EHX DMB for special effects. I chose the TC and Dr. because they are absolutely dead silent. The Source Audio had just the tiniest hint of hiss. The H9 was also good, so I could use that for either special effects or Ambience as well.

It’s a shame this happens. I wanted to try out for a local big church but they asked me what gear I had. I found this odd as I personally think it didn’t matter. But unfortunately it sometimes does.

dreamingaxe

I think Im the only one left using a

Boss DD20
Boss RV-6

Everybody seemed to have moved on to Strymons and other high end gear..

i onced showed up with all boss pedals that Ive done as my 'fly rig', Boss TU-3, BD-2, OD-3, DD7, RV6 and I got weird looks.. :)

tuckman-lp100

I think Im the only one left using a

Boss DD20
Boss RV-6

Everybody seemed to have moved on to Strymons and other high end gear..

i onced showed up with all boss pedals that Ive done as my 'fly rig', Boss TU-3, BD-2, OD-3, DD7, RV6 and I got weird looks.. :)
Nope! I've been using a DD-20 for about a year now, after coming back to a board from a HD500 and trying a few different delays, and it's the best, easiest, and most cost efficient delay out there for me. Since we don't use a lot of clicks and backing tracks, as well as only playing 4-5 songs a week, it's perfect for me without MIDI.
The only difference is i use a digitech digiverb, i've had it from my first board i built 5-6 years ago. I think....

smellytele

Silver Supporting Member
Volante and Ventris for me. Just now realizing they both start with the letter "V" Probably a coincidence... or is it?

dreamingaxe

Nope! I've been using a DD-20 for about a year now, after coming back to a board from a HD500 and trying a few different delays, and it's the best, easiest, and most cost efficient delay out there for me. Since we don't use a lot of clicks and backing tracks, as well as only playing 4-5 songs a week, it's perfect for me without MIDI.
The only difference is i use a digitech digiverb, i've had it from my first board i built 5-6 years ago. I think....

we’re basically the same. I went from DD3,5,6,7,20 and then DD500. Which was too much for my needs so i went down to DD20 again.

im intrigued with the DD200 but its just too much money to spend when I have a perfectly working gear. And I dont want to re-wire my board too!

we also do 5-6 songs per service. We have click and backing tracks, i never really see the need to spend more on high end gear.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom