P&W Players: what’s your delay/Reverb of choice?

Which company are you using for delay/Reverb?

• Strymon (duh)

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • GFI

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Line 6

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Source Audio

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Boss

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • Empress

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other (reply)

Votes: 24 22.6%

• Total voters

tobereleased

In context o f this thread, what is the rationale behind having both a delay and reverb. From a listener perspective, or playing alongside another electric, the combination seems to make the guitar disappear into an ambient soup where dynamics are lost.

I wouldn’t have ever bought a reverb if it hadn’t come bundled with trem, tbh. I do love the reverbs in the flint, but I doubt I’d ever look at a stand alone reverb.

In terms of combining reverb and delay and “disappearing” I think that’s less an effects choice issue than an arrangement issue. I’ve had the good fortune (?) of playing in relatively sparse musical teams where I can eat up a lot of frequency space with my guitar, which lets me slather on delay and reverb while still being the dominant instrument in the mix.

The bigger the music team, the more likely electric guitar will be inaudible (in my experience). Regardless of effects chosen.

cloudnine

Just out of curiosity...does that seem practical for Bethel too? I mean, how many guys do you think they have trying to join the team each year? And they have a standard that includes a sound and the ability to play to a click and record every week.

I know my pal just got back from Hillsong College and the standard there is play every part from every record, 4 records deep by memory. Phew. But if you have 100 electric guitar players I guess you can ask that...

Really interesting info. Not trying to be uppity, but that's nothing. For a musician with that level of exposure in a pro setting to memorize guitar parts for what, maybe 50 songs? C'mon, practice! Again, not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but pushing ourselves makes us better and I think we ought to hold ourselves to higher standards than an existing tradition.

HaloMaster

Silver Supporting Member
I run a Eventide Timefactor for delays and use a Neunaber Wet, and Boss RV-6 for reverb. They work well. I have heard a Strymon Big Sky and it sounds incredible. Best sounding reverb I've ever heard. I'm not a huge reverb guy, so I can't bring myself to cough up the coin for one!

Eli Wesley

I use a Strymon Flint for big low mix, short decay always on reverbs and a long ambient swell reverb. The Big Sky (duh) does most of the heavy lifting for reverb and I occasionally use the Specular Tempus. The Empress Echosystem does the heavy lifting for delays but there are a few songs where I use the Specular Tempus and I have a Walrus Audio D1 that I use on the fly. I don’t like the Timeline, and I haven’t encountered much Strymon anything I don’t like.

Eli Wesley

This

Attachments

• FBC4B382-92EF-4CE5-9900-A705DF21B47E.jpeg
    FBC4B382-92EF-4CE5-9900-A705DF21B47E.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 11

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Bethel/Strymon, et al have permanently ruined reverb for me, as the standard Bethel/Elevation recordings are unlistenable. Re delay, a Source Audio Nemesis and/or Retro-Sonic Analog Delay or possibly the new Nano Deluxe Memory Man are enough.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom