• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

xdisciplex

No
A board full of boutiques, any sound clip$$$?
i just completed it recently. Theres some high gain amp clips on my ig under the name ghost_thief but no clips with this board yet.
I built this board to use with a DR Z prescription es for when i play p&w stuff, i mostly play metal music and dont need a board like this for that stuff but i wanted to dump my old board that i used in church and start over again, so this board is everything i wanted my old one to be. i might dump the pog and get a earthquaker spatial delivery.

Jeric

Stoked! I scored an insane deal on a Reverend Double Agent iii in natural flame. I've really been GAS'ing for a reverend for awhile now.

Will post some detailed pics once it gets here! :D

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
@-Empire: how is the mix at your services? 2 electrics and 2 acoustics can be really tough to mix well.
^very interested in this one too.
Acoustics aren't in the mix unless it's an acoustic-driven song. Usually there aren't any acoustics on stage, that was an unusual weekend. The mix is very bass and drums heavy. It's mixed like a regular venue, just not quite as loud, but it's still quite loud but everything is very clear. If it's a more "rock" song then guitars are a lot more present. If it's a Hillsong Y&F type song, the tracks, bass, kick, and keys are a lot more present. At the bottom of my post I posted a link to the video recording of that service, I'll repost it here: http://www.centralonline.tv/media/subpage/?sid=54&mid=172&vs=full

The first song is mixed very "rock," so you can hear basically everything I'm playing. It's straight from the board so it's not mastered, and the live service obviously is a lot more intense, but you get the idea.

Enusire

^thanks for your answer. Looking forward to listen to your music.

Did I read this really right:

Acoustics aren't in the mix unless it's an acoustic-driven song.
I´m not only a musician at our church, I also mix other bands. I would never had thought about that - to leave instruments out of the mix - for me personally that doesn´t feel like a serious option.

rhoydotp

Acoustics aren't in the mix unless it's an acoustic-driven song.
That's great! Although I find the acoustic, mixed well & low, can really tighten up the whole sound. But I'm not a fan of having the acoustic guitar on the mix for every song just because. I love our previous WL, she would intentionally ask specific instruments not to play a whole song if she doesn't feel like it fits the context of the song. It was tough at first, but once you get it, it's great.

Enusire

At this point I´ll quote and correct myself.

I´m not only a musician at our church, I also mix other bands. I would never had thought about that - to leave instruments out of the mix - for me personally that doesn´t feel like a serious option.
I love when one instrument pauses for a certain song/song-part just because the Mix benefits from the absence of the instrument. It is so important to hear what you are playing - what the band is playing - and if someone decides that a song is even better/stronger if he doesn´t play anything - that shows that he cares about the Bandmix and not necessarily about jumping out of the Mix all the time.

The idea of muting an acoustic guitar player in a song was at first irritating for me, because I thought that the band and the acoustic guitar player himself should be able to decide if he plays or plays not. But I thought further about that and came up with another thought..

What if the Mix would be less muddy and overall better if the acoustic guitar really would be muted but nevertheless the leader/singer would play his guitar just to hear himself on the monitors to be more confident...?

Open for your thoughts about that... :munch

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
That's great! Although I find the acoustic, mixed well & low, can really tighten up the whole sound. But I'm not a fan of having the acoustic guitar on the mix for every song just because. I love our previous WL, she would intentionally ask specific instruments not to play a whole song if she doesn't feel like it fits the context of the song. It was tough at first, but once you get it, it's great.
At this point I´ll quote and correct myself.

I love when one instrument pauses for a certain song/song-part just because the Mix benefits from the absence of the instrument. It is so important to hear what you are playing - what the band is playing - and if someone decides that a song is even better/stronger if he doesn´t play anything - that shows that he cares about the Bandmix and not necessarily about jumping out of the Mix all the time.

The idea of muting an acoustic guitar player in a song was at first irritating for me, because I thought that the band and the acoustic guitar player himself should be able to decide if he plays or plays not. But I thought further about that and came up with another thought..

What if the Mix would be less muddy and overall better if the acoustic guitar really would be muted but nevertheless the leader/singer would play his guitar just to hear himself on the monitors to be more confident...?
Open for your thoughts about that... :munch
@Enusire You nailed it. Many people are more comfortable with a guitar in their hands. A lot of capo-G-shape-4-chord worship leaders are singers/leaders first, and guitar players second, and hammering those G shape 8th notes through the whole set just helps them.

With that said, as Thelonious Monk said, "What you don't play can be more important than what you do." If everyone is just hammering away on their instrument, unaware of the *parts* their instrument should be playing, the whole mix is going to be one undynamic muddy midrange mess, regardless of how good FOH is. This is part of why I am the #1 chord chart/lead sheet critic, because they teach people to just play chords instead of actually bothering to train their ear and learn the *parts* for their instrument. Play with your ears, not your eyes.

The model we have is to create an excellent experience for everyone who comes through the doors. That means everyone shares the same vision, including the pastor. There's no curmudgeonly pastors walking up to the sound guy saying it's too loud. If you don't come prepared, you don't play. We have earplugs available for anyone who wants them. We're all on the same train, and you're either on it or you're not. That means contracting musicians, having full time TD, FOH, and lighting guys, contracted monitor engineer, etc. The service is very heavily produced. Everyone is either a professional at what they do, or performs at a professional level. For example, our old FOH guy left a few years ago to be the monitor engineer for Jesus Culture, and several of our musicians play in shows on the Strip (Blue Man Group, Human Nature, etc).

This is our model and I love it, but it's not the only way to do church and that's great. My old church was volunteer based, choir and everything. The racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity was fantastic. Learning really complex gospel tunes every week and performing with other musicians from different backgrounds was great. Several years ago I met some guys from Central and long story short last year they ended up asking me to come play guitar for them and I just couldn't turn it down.

So, with all of that said, if there is no acoustic in a song, the acoustic is either not in the mix or wayyyy backed off.

papersun

There's plenty of churches out there filled with old people who sing How Great Thou Art every week to a solo piano.
exactly.

edit: i think the tone of my original post came off a bit meaner than i meant it. i tried to convey was that it sounds like you guys commit a lot of time and energy into creating a consistently excellent experience for the congregation, and so if the acoustic bizarrely isn't there for a song or two people probably aren't going to complain.

Trending Topics