P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. TexasGuitar

TexasGuitar Member

haha! nope.

So our church is really awesome in being pro worship, especially music. They've invested in legit gear instrument wise, A few Yamaha Motifs, Legit Mapex shell pack drum kit, all K cymbals, computer for tracks, in ear system, etc. but we lag in the FOH system. That's our next step though, its just kind of slowed down since we just purchased some land to build new. Hopefully that house will have a tuned, legit line array system, that's the plan!

Gonash, kdm1218 and dickjonesify like this.
  2. REDFIVE

REDFIVE Supporting Member

Well, I sold off the Ventris today, and am funding some other pedal purchase. Christmas GAS, I suppose...

Gonash and dickjonesify like this.
  3. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Whoa. That was quick haha

kdm1218, leblee and REDFIVE like this.
  4. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

That’s the first thing I would invest in at this point. A proper tuning can make a huge difference and should cover crossover settings if they are adjustable.

5. REDFIVE

REDFIVE Supporting Member

I liked it alot, but I liked having the screens better. I have a bunch of reverbs already, and felt like I needed a Midi pedal to get the full use out of presets that would be made once the editor got to be more popular. I didn't want to have to go through and rebuild all my BigSky Presets .. because IM LAZY.

kdm1218 and cjm254 like this.
  6. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Thanks you guys. From the last time I posted us doing Hallelujah What a Savior both of you suggested a much wetter mix with more obvious delay so I tried that this time. Any tips on that front?

Also, as I'm listening to the songs I'm thinking that I might not really have much room to thin my tone in this particular mix, I was/am sort of forced to play bigger full chords and use darker tones because his tone doesn't take up any space sonically and he tends to default to single or double note stuff. Just thinking out loud but I think my playing / tone kind of lays a foundation where his tone/playing could be perceived as fitting (and in turn makes mine seem darker than it maybe is), but if you remove my stuff it would seem really out of place and very thin/small sounding. Flip the situation nothing would really change in the recordings, other than my stuff being a little dark and lower register heavy depending on the song. If I were to play with a brighter more focused sound with less big chords maybe the whole track(s) would sound pretty thin with both of us going and not have the same punch it has/had? Does that make sense and seem like a fair assessment? Obviously I'd rather play leads all the time (who wouldn't) but I'm always aware that there isn't that foundation behind me holding it together while I'm doing whatever I'm doing.

How would I bridge that conversation about fattening up his tone a bit and maybe meeting eachother more in the middle so that I'm not relegated to big dark chords all the time while he noodles more? I know he doesn't obsess with tone like we do but what I'm hoping doesn't happen is he hears the recordings and thinks he should go even brighter to punch out more.

kdm1218, Gonash, TexasGuitar and 2 others like this.
  7. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I play a cheap Squier Jazz every week, lol. Though mine is the "vintage modified" one, not the typical affinity series.

I ran D-G-C-F tuning for a bit when I was in-between 5 string basses. I only use the G string like once a month, but having it here means I don't have to relearn any patterns.

metro6audio likes this.
  8. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I'm getting by ok with just two, a precision and a jazz. Wouldn't mind having a nice stingray but they're pretty expensive. What I really want though is a Dingwall.

9. TexasGuitar

TexasGuitar Member

Do you only play the G string once a month because you're scheduled once a month? I don't get it :confused

10. TexasGuitar

TexasGuitar Member

Yes that's true, and that is what we are looking into now.

boyce89976 likes this.
  11. boyce89976

How do you guys split up parts? One approach would be to talk about the parts and the tones needed (based on who is lead and who is rhythm for the song), and when you have lead then have that discussion that he needs to fatten up his tone for that song. I think his tone would actually be fine for lead stuff if he had some delay and reverb to help give it a sense of space. If you can add some top end sizzle to yours without losing the ballsyness, I think yours would be ideal. I’ll have to go back and listen again for delay and reverb mix. It didn’t stand out as too wet or too dry when I listened the first time.

12. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I play every week. We just rarely do songs where the bass player plays anything on that string.

TexasGuitar likes this.
  13. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

Helix Users:

Did any of you guys upload your dual amp patches to the google drive group? Hoping to spend some time messing around with that tonight as I might finally have a free night!

John K. likes this.
  14. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

I remember that sounded great but I wasn’t listening specifically for that. I’ll listen again.

Possibly true. But also, I noticed the bass guitar is not very prominent in the mix. I wonder if you’d feel the same if the bass were rockin a little more.

It probably feels like people are piling on you about your tone. It’s just because you asked haha. Your tones are great and there’s nothing wrong with it. They’re a little darker and/or thicker than normal pdub tones but you’re not using typical pdub guitars, either. You have two Strat guys saying your Gibson hollowbody sounds dark :rotflmao if I were you, I’d just ignore us haha.

Totally depends on his personality. If he doesn’t worry about his tone much, he may not mind the suggestions at all. Or you could move his mic when no one is looking :banana

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. Nick-O

Nick-O Member

I have to play through a Bose "L1" system Friday, I think that is what it is called. One tall Bose speaker, with a pair of small 4 track Bose mixers, then a separate Mackie 12 track mixer for voice and drums. o_O The Helix sounds a little odd thru this, and I am wondering if the Bose has a "global setting" at input that is fighting with the Helix. Have any of you experience with the Bose L1 system? I will run it again Friday, so I can adjust as needed then before the service.

16. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Oof.
    Bose plays all kinds of nasty tricks on audio that electric guitar would want no part of.

I have not used the L1, though.

Nick-O and boyce89976 like this.
  17. boyce89976

Good point! And good advice! haha

Gonash, kdm1218 and dickjonesify like this.
  18. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

:beer

kdm1218 likes this.
  19. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Our FOH speakers are Bose, not sure what exactly but they are two separate long skinny things mounted on a wall, and something about laser (seriously) in how the spreads work. I am not a fan. The only good place on the spread is about 5-6 rows deep, right in the center. They're much better than when we first got it set up, cause now there is also a sub and two yamaha speakers sitting front and center right at the base of the stage. Apparently the Bose stuff was what our sound company came up with as the best solution with old plaster walls that made wiring rather adventurous. :dunno

Nick-O likes this.
  20. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

Friggin love stingrays man. My number one bass player who unfortunately is still back in MA plays a double bucker stingray and that thing sounds incredible. Those have been my holy grail bass since I saw Mike Herrera start playing them