1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I don't have enough buses left to use groups. Currently using them all for monitors and/or overflow areas.

flatulentmatt likes this.
  2. John K.

John K. Member

So do you typically reduce your Kemper's output for recording as opposed to when you run it live? Or do you just run it live at that level?

3. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Audacity is small, easy to use and free for quick recording on PC

boyce89976, John K. and kingrazor like this.
  4. John K.

John K. Member

I've just downloaded that. Is there a way to load Helix Native into Audacity? I see it appearing in the list of plugins after I copied Helix Native to the plugin folder for Audacity, but I can't seem to find a way to open it and edit.

boyce89976 likes this.
  5. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

No clue, I thought we were just talking about easy USB recording haha

boyce89976 likes this.
  6. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

You should be able to use it like any other plugin if you put it in the Audacity Plug-ins folder.

boyce89976 likes this.
  7. John K.

John K. Member

Yeah, I think Audacity will be easier for me to use for recording in general, especially if I just use the hardware Helix into an interface.
    I don't know if I would ever need to use Helix Native for recording, but I want to use it for editing presets or testing sounds without the hardware with me, so I want an easy VST loader for that.

boyce89976 likes this.
  8. justinbunte

justinbunte Member

Do you know if there is a way to reroute the effects from buses 13-16 to somewhere else? I finally figured out that the only way to pan channels using the M32-Q app is by linking 2 bus channels to be stereo. Make a HUGE difference being able to pan things in the app.

So since there's 16 bus channels you can theoretically have 8 stereo IEM mixes -- however, the M32 internal effects are taking up bus channels 13-16. I've looked around online but haven't read anything confirming whether that is possible or not. With as much routing capabilities as the M32 has it would seem ridiculous for that to not be included.

9. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

I control the level into the DAW with the channel fader in the DAW. I actually set the Kemper’s level the same for both (-24dB). Without adjusting it my levels peak at about -6. You may have to adjust your level out of the Helix though since you’d be running USB in. Or if you have an interface, you could adjust it there. I try to average about -18dB with peaks at -12dB.

John K. likes this.
  10. John K.

John K. Member

Can't seem to get that to work... anyone with Native able to test this?

11. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

If Audacity treats plugins like Logic you have to add it to an effects slot and open it like you are editing the plugin.

12. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

New gear day here, our main audio engineer picked up a stereo pair of Cascade Fat Head II’s! Can’t wait to give them a try!

I’ll see your stingray and raise you a modulus

13. John K.

John K. Member

Ah, dang it. Found this in the web manual:
    "Why do some VST plug-ins not work or display incorrectly?

Audacity will by default display VST effect plug-ins with a full graphical interface where the plug-in supplies this.

VST instruments (VSTi) (such as synths) and real-time VST effects (that change the audio data while it's being written) are not yet supported. These will not load even if you enable or re-enable them in the Plug-in Manager: Effects, Generators and Analyzers dialog."

boyce89976 likes this.
  14. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I played my friend's Stingray and it drove me nuts with all that sustain. I kept trying to get more of a plunky sound, but that thing was booming. It sounded amazing, but I was aiming for something a little more LoFi/standup bass-kinda vibe. My buddy told me after to roll up a microfiber cloth and tuck it under the strings by the bridge and it kinda dampens it.
    But I definitely know I have no business with one of those things.
    I could make a P or J bass work, easy.

15. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

The effects being assigned to those buses are what let you put, for example, reverb, on as many instruments as you want by as much as you want.

If you unassign the effects from those buses, which you can do, you lose that ability. So if you have like 4 singers and want reverb on all 4 of them, you'd have to insert it individually on each channel (they're stereo though so you could do it with just 2 reverbs, but then each reverb would be mono).

justinbunte and dickjonesify like this.
  16. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Boo. Well, that’s what free gets you, I suppose. I’ve never used Audacity.

John K. and boyce89976 like this.
  17. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Get Reaper! It's free to try and only $60. It's a fully featured DAW.

playsarobin, kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  18. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Been a crazy day, if any of you follow me on in IG you will know. I work in Oceanside the city in the path of the Lilac fire that is currently out of control. It started this morning and within an hour shut down the main road I take to get home and was moving west towards me really fast. We have gnarly winds right now, some news sites recorded hurricane speeds of 50-80 mph at points during the day and they are going directly west so it was pushing the fire hard towards the beach and Oceanside. All of the smoke filled the city pretty quick, had to leave work early and take a major detour and sit in traffic for a couple hours but I made it back into Murrieta where another fire had started during my commute, this time ~1-2 miles north of my apartment. Instead of waiting around to see if the winds would shift and put us at risk my parents came by and helped us pack up the valuables (guitars, Helix, dog, etc haha) and we headed to their place to stay for the night in Temecula. Those incredible aerial fire fighters were able to do an incredible coordinated strike to contain the fire and minimize the damage which could have gotten real bad considering how close it was to a ton of homes / businesses. I went onto Twitter an Murrieta PD had this posted showing mandatory evacuation zones. I live at the red X at the bottom..

[​IMG]

Pretty crazy! Don't know if I'll be able to get to work tomorrow but I'm glad this one is contained. All of that to say I'm going to be making some go bags for my wife and I to stay in our cars and we're going to plan ahead just in case it ever hits the fan and we need to get out of dodge. I'd encourage everyone else to do the same, better to be prepared than scrambling.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    MattLeFevers, Pax, kdm1218 and 6 others like this.
  19. justinbunte

justinbunte Member

Our primary reason is so that we can route our Aviom mixes through the mix buses and have access to all 32 channels using the M32-Q app. Under the old analog system we were limited to choosing certain channels (up to 16) to patch through the Aviom.

A secondary reason was so that our guys could mix the entire service, for the most part in our case, with only 6 faders. They don't just set it and forget it per se, but the guys have all said it has been very nice to be able to boost/cut things quickly.

20. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

That’s nuts, T! Stay safe.

yeatzee likes this.