P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Cool man! Worship Matters is required reading for anyone on the worship team here since Travis got here. It's a good book. Sounds like it might be a great situation. Good luck!

2. dmutter

dmutter Member

That was what was laying around? Woah

papersun, kdm1218, Gonash and 2 others like this.
  3. boyce89976

I need to build a small board too. Here's what I have laying around:
    Timefactor
    JHS modded MicroPOG
    JHS Panther
    Timmy
    Keeley Red Dirt
    DelMar
    RC Boost
    Walrus Luminary
    Ego Comp
    EB MVP
    TU-3
    Prestige Boost
    Mini Bomb Boost
    Voodoo 4x4
    Voodoo Digital

I think all I'd need is a reverb. ;)

dmutter and Gonash like this.
  4. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

yeah. It probably should have all just been sold instead but I was looking at the shelf where I keep all my extra pedals and kept thinking how sweet of a pedalboard I could build with the leftovers.

dmutter and boyce89976 like this.
  5. williamh

Go for it! I really enjoy the process of building a new board.

boyce89976 likes this.
  6. Playpunk

Playpunk Supporting Member

So I just leveled, dressed, and polished the frets on my G & L, and couldn’t figure out why some frets still looked dirty on the sides.

Then I figured out that it was lacquer from the fretboard finish. Scraped that off and now that guitar is smoking! Fret level and polish helps too.

dickjonesify, Pax, kdm1218 and 4 others like this.
  7. boyce89976

I've been on CLOUD NINE since about 3pm today. I was blessed to have a one hour lesson with one of my modern guitar heroes this afternoon... still pinching myself. It was awesome - definitely lived up to expectations - and I can't wait for the next one. I have about 3 weeks to learn the jazz standard "All the Things You Are"... chords and melody at the same time. Uh-huh... That's going to be a HUGE stretch for me.

8. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

I'm making good progress on my guitar project. I'm thinking of trying to build a Lincoln Brewster type Plexi patch to use with it in the Firebox. I've been doing some research tonight on his tone. Interesting stuff...Plexi with bass at 0, mids and treble at Max and some liberal use of para EQ's. Should be fun.

I'm happy with the end result. The biggest issue is I'm going to have to cut another pickguard. This one turned out a little rough. Oh well!
    I did try my hand at some aging on this one. It was a fun learning process. One thing I tried was aging the pickguard. I scratched the pickguard with steel wool and then used brown shoe polish to add color. Cool idea from the interwebs.
    [​IMG]

dickjonesify, cjm254, ducmike and 5 others like this.
  9. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Someone well known ? Either way, sounds like you had fun and have some work to do. Awesome !

Gonash and boyce89976 like this.
  10. Gonash

Gonash Member

Been watching "Nashville" last few weeks and am totally on a country roll. There is S.O M.A.N.Y great licks to steal from country music it's a guitarists dream.
    No wonder I love "Born and Raised" from JM the most, it really comes close to that vibe.
    I declare this year for me a "country year" where I learn country as my main focus. (please don't judge haha).

Happy for you @boyce89976 ! I had a guitar lesson with my guitar hero and it was so frustrating, he pretty much was like " I don't know, I just do it". Can't blame him for being a natural I guess...

11. williamh

This is exactly how I felt after I started watching Nashville. That and it made me want a Gretsch.

12. Nick-O

Nick-O Member

Great tune. I heard Ed Bickert do a version of that and about never got over it. Most envious of your situation..and skills! :)

boyce89976 likes this.
  13. Gonash

Gonash Member

Haha 100% right!

boyce89976 likes this.
  14. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

Chord/melody work is fun and definitely challenging. I learned a couple way back when. You’ve got me thinking about what a great challenge it would be for me to jump back into some more. You might want to check out the Mel Bay publication Barry Galbraith Guitar Solos-Thirteen Standards.

boyce89976 likes this.
  15. cjm254

cjm254 Member

Yeah - bring it in. I have never had a problem with anyone saying anything negative. Everyone just asks if you are going to sing. And, @-Empire, even with two guitars in a mono bag, who cares? No reason to feel like a DB at all. Gotta protect the gear.

16. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I'm all for protecting gear, but I have never had a problem with solid-body electric guitars in the truck for lunch after service, even in TX heat. I would never leave for longer than an hour though. I would never leave hollow EG or an acoustic though. Except my acoustic, it's a Rainsong.

I played a NYE gig at a party, left my PB and amp in the car while I checked into the hotel and had dinner, probably about an hour, but took the guitar in with me. Our bass player did the same, and both of our tuners were acting wonky at first, but started functioning once they warmed up. 2 different brands too. It was 19 here in N TX.

@kdm1218 I would at least call Taylor and tell them about it, and of course be honest about leaving in the car. Not saying the heat didn't do it, but a couple others posted about twisted necks on their 3xx series, Taylor might be a known problem or a bad batch of wood or something. Never hurts to ask.

kdm1218 and gibs5000 like this.
  17. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Same, haha. My wife and I did two country songs on our most recent album, and afterwards she announced that we need to do a full-on country album next. It’s not a genre I’m terribly familiar with, so I think I’m going to have a lot of remedial catch-up learning to do this year.

Besides the show Nashville and a couple real life artists I really like (Kacey Musgraves is terrific) most of my exposure to country has been kind of second-hand via folk bands like Mumford & Sons or indie artists like Bright Eyes or The Decemberists that acquired a twang later on.

I have to be the only person who owns both a banjo and a mandolin who couldn’t name more than five actual country artists.

See, and Nashville made me want a Tele. I’ve always thought they looked cool but seeing them on that show week after week really started the ball rolling on the long process of me actually obtaining one.

I didn’t find out until later that they’re very common in worship music, haha.

18. boyce89976

Especially when I struggle with fingerpicking already! Haha.

So he busts out All the Things You Are, and plays through it once straight, then says, "it's fun in a Bossanova style too" and plays it again in that style (he's sight reading the chart... he's not known for jazz. OH, AND HE TRANSPOSED TO B-flat ON THE FLY).

I think Ima do it straight! ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also going to pick up The Real Book.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    JokeSmuggler and Pax like this.
  19. boyce89976

Thanks Nick! I'm just a hack that has stumbled into a cool situation!

Nick-O likes this.
  20. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Y'all just now hip to Nashville ? Deacon , Gunner , Will , Scarlett, Juliet , Avery ?

Been on it from the start. Acting ? meh.... Gear and tunes ? :aok

Gonash and eternally found like this.