P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

I just found in the hard drive the WL gave me with the recordings video of us playing both Sunday and Christmas. I've never seen myself play in video before :anon

2. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Supporting Member

Uh... I guess US? Though a lot of country music I'd say is based from US stuff. I get that there's talented musicians, I just find the genre as a whole (and I'm generalising here) to just be dripping with cheese. Those lap steel swells and the singing voices are enough to give me nightmares. To me a lot of it is quite... same-y. And that's in a P&W thread!

It is a fine line, but I do often very much enjoy stuff that is more of a folk / soft rock / alt country persuasion. For example, the aforementioned Mayer, America, Ryan Adams, Terry Reid, etc. But country country? Not really for me.

Gonash, btjguitarman and Pax like this.
  3. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Supporting Member

So last weekend I ended up playing bass (surprise!) on the day due to a couple of unforeseen circumstances. I was a little disappointed as I had my Breedlove all tuned up and ready to go in DADGAD as it was an acoustic set, but I still had fun!

This Is Amazing Grace - Jeremy Riddle / Bethel

He Is Yahweh - Vineyard / Bethel
    Highest Praise - Amanda Cook / Bethel
    No Longer Slaves - Jonathan David & Melissa Helser / Bethel
    Extravagant - Amanda Cook / Bethel

Gonash and kdm1218 like this.
  4. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Catchup after a full day orienting/training a new intern at work, followed by Wednesday services! (no live set though)
    Thank you, good to know! I’ll give it a try.

I use a Strymon Flint, in stereo, and a favorite switch to toggle between my “typical” reverb (70s algo on Flint, moderate mix/decay) and a huge one for swells (80s algo with high mix and long decay). And it has the added benefit of tremolo which I use occasionally without wasting space for a dedicated pedal.

Meanwhile in West TX we have had some record lows. Mix moisture and lots of wind and even positive teens is rather unpleasant when you’re used to 40s-50s for highs this time of year!

flatulentmatt likes this.
  5. Gonash

Gonash Member

Yeah, I feel similar about most of country stuff, but there is so much of it it's easy to find a few gems.
    Mayer for life haha!
    Also, love your setlist! I'd play it. Come to Australia maybe? :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    flatulentmatt and kdm1218 like this.
  6. dmutter

dmutter Member

Sweet! It looks like accessing that second footswitch on the ventris would be a pain though behind the volume pedal which is taller than the ventris footswitch. Is that gonna end up being a problem?

7. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Midi :aok

coltonius and dmutter like this.
  8. dmutter

dmutter Member

Ah...my head is so not in that world which explains why I missed that.

coltonius likes this.
  9. dmutter

dmutter Member

Good old Canadian winter...feels like 1°F this morning and that's the high for the next few days. Supposed to drop today down to feeling like -26°F tonight. Dang.

Gonash likes this.
  10. dmutter

dmutter Member

I always tell my friend that if went Helix I'd probably be all in like this. Seems strange to me to have all those amazing amp models at your feet but bypass them to play just 1 real amp.

Memphis, -Empire and kdm1218 like this.
  11. Steely Glen

Steely Glen Supporting Member

My wife is an avid country fan and I love her so I (try to) tolerate the genre. I've told her about a thousand times that the problem with Music Row country music is this: too much Florida-Georgia Line, not enough Oklahoma Borderline.

Too many frontmen (and women) who don't really play instruments, don't really write songs, etc. There are legions of Nashville studio musicians who can play the phone book and songwriters who can draw up catchy tunes or tell great stories. But so often these are not the people known to the public as "country music." It's a marionette act.

To be fair, that's not 100% of the genre, but it's a solid percentage. Oh, and if I hear another country song with a rap section in it I'm gonna....

12. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I like my amps, I play out enough in venues with poor sound support (mostly poor monitor situations) that having a real amp on stage is a bonus. However, I have been thinking about a Torpedo Studio for silent home recording and church applications. I want something that drops into my existing setup, not an entire rig overhaul. While not in vogue at the moment compared to the Helix or Kemper, does anyone have experience with this product?

13. Gonash

Gonash Member

I
    I love this song! Vince is a killer player too.

boyce89976 and Steely Glen like this.
  14. dmutter

dmutter Member

Lots of great options these days. The Strymon Big Sky seems to be the reigning king currently. It's far too much pedal for me though. I love the Neunaber Wet (the hall and plate algos are fantastic as well). Last year I switched back to the Boss RV6. I realized that there are some amazing players (James Duke, Daniel Carson, etc) still playing their RV5s and they sound amazing and have no trouble getting gigs. I went with the RV6 because I like to use the expression control to give me on-the-fly control of my mix (essentially allowing me to change my reverb without needing a pedal with presets). The RV6 sounds great and has a good buffer in it which i find is often helpful at the end of my chain. It may not be the absolute best but it sounds great and packs good value.

kdm1218 likes this.
  15. dmutter

dmutter Member

I find the same thing. If I went to a Helix or Kemper I'd probably end up needing to buy my own FRFR monitor to take along.
    One day I hope to get the Ampli-Firebox as a direct solution and dial in a preset close to my amp for home playing and those gigs that are actually set up well with monitoring. That way i can keep enjoying my amp but have the other option as well. May be something to consider, depending on your amp (if the Firebox has something comparable).

kdm1218 and Gonash like this.
  16. -Empire

-Empire Member

If I still had amps that is the route I would go. In fact for at least a year before going digital I used a Palmer PGA-04, back before there were reactive load boxes and IR loaders for stage use.

But like I said above, with modelers these days it’s easy to run the signal to a power amp and guitar cabinet. You don’t have to go direct with a modeled cab and mic.

Steely Glen likes this.
  17. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

@boyce89976 a question for you.

Are you using any para eq’s for your matchless kemper preset? High/low cuts?

I’m getting this firebox close but there are some painful frequencies I can’t seem to dial out. I’ve tried a high cut at ~5500-6000hz and some paras in the 3k range but it’s not quite there.

I have the ability for high/low cuts and 3 bands of para eq to mess with. (Also, bass, mid, treble, presence)

I can’t remember, have you posted a “base amp tone” file from SoundCloud?

Lots of questions there...I got on a roll! Haha.

boyce89976 likes this.
  18. -Empire

-Empire Member

When I think painful I think 4k

dickjonesify and JonCor2577 like this.
  19. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

I was using some slight boosts at certain frequencies but I’ve stoppd using EQ completely. The only base amp tone I’ve posted is that short clip of the intro to Your Love Never Fails. It’s guitar straight in with a little boost in front of the Amp. I’ll repost it this morning.

JonCor2577 likes this.
  20. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

Thanks guys. I think this is user error and not a dig on the firebox. I’m used to my sound with the Joyo which was very mid heavy and I’m trying to recalibrate my ears too.