P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

Thanks guys. I think this is user error and not a dig on the firebox. I’m used to my sound with the Joyo which was very mid heavy and I’m trying to recalibrate my ears too.

2. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

Another P&W friend is picking up a Helix full floor off of local CL for $850 and it includes a Helix bag which he's likely going to sell to me (putting the price below 800). That's 4 converts (including me) in the last 6 months, 3 of which got their/our full floor for less than $950 :eek:

3. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Is there any reason why your soundcloud clips are always unavailable on your profile? I go back all the time thinking I want to hear x again and every time they aren't there anymore :dunno

boyce89976 likes this.
  4. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

If you want, send me a clip with some big chords and I’ll run it through Logic’s spectrum analyzer to see if anything sticks out.

I have them set to private. You can just PM me if you want a link to anything.

kdm1218 and yeatzee like this.
  5. Nick-O

Nick-O Member

3 inches of snow in Coastal SC yesterday afternoon, which is now solid ice on the roadways....watching/driving with folks who have never seen more than perhaps one or two dustings of snow in their life is an experience and a half.

6. blowery

blowery Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I have always been impressed with Matchless and it's on the top for a reason.

I kind of got that about the Dr. Z M12...just kind of meh.
    The bella sounds great, but it's pretty pricey as well. I will have to be looking for deals on one of those

VHT is intriguing, but a lot of people have also stated it's OK, not great so feels kind of like something I wouldn't be really excited with.

The Gries 5 always gets good reviews, I forgot about them.

I have been around a few Matchless and always have loved the sound of them. I had a Badcat 15 and it was REALLY loud. I didn't really bond with the gain channel though so maybe the SC mini would be more along the line of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the details!
    Contemplating the head/cab route but was hoping for a combo due to grab and go. The matchless and mini are at the top of the list but there are some other interesting options for sure.

As for the Helix, I won't be using it exclusively for pedalboard. There are definitely times when I'm just going to go amp and a pedal or 2 at most. I have a Quilter Mini 101 that would work alright for powering the Helix if need be.

A lot of it depends on how they handle the guitars at the new church. At our old church, the guitar was pretty nonexistent when we went to direct. So far the new church seems really good about instruments and being heard/mixed correctly and just letting people use amps/mic or direct.

Another option that gets a lot of praise is the Pro Jr, but without a master volume I think I might not be happy with it.

Won't always be using a Helix as the pedalboard as sometimes I'll be just running the amp and maybe delay pedal for simplicity. I have a Quilter mini that works pretty good for powering the Helix if I want to go that route...it's just not as great sounding on it's own as compared to a Matchless/Suhr/etc...

Your clips sound fantastic with it which kind of led me to dig a bit more into it. They seem to be priced pretty decent for sure.

Pax, kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  7. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

I love the Bella but it’s quite a bit more power than the rest of your list. It does have the 22w mode that I don’t use as much, but it also doesn’t do the edge of breakup thing until you hit like 7 or 8 on the volume so it’s loud by then. It’s much more Fender than Vox, but it’s everything I wish Fender was and more. You can find them used in the $1300-1500 range

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    blowery and boyce89976 like this.
  8. boyce89976

Hmmm... spell check catches everything but "rberyghing" o_O

9. btjguitarman

Mother of God. Fixed.

kdm1218, metro6audio and boyce89976 like this.
  10. boyce89976

Here you go, Jon:

11. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I use an M12 as a base sound for pedals, and I can see others not loving it alone. However a NOS EF86 and a pair of Ampex EL-84s I stole from a Hammond really brought the amp to life. I run a Hotcake into it for that edge of breakup sound, and it acts like an extension of the amp. As just a standalone tone monster, it is not. That is why I have a Hayseed 30.

12. boyce89976

Couldn't agree more. One of our female worship leader's is an a-maz-ing songwriter (so good, that she's a McPherson guitars artist: http://mcphersonguitars.com/artists/daisy-mallory/ ). But the stuff she's writing isn't Florida-Georgia Line type stuff, so she's not getting the attention she deserves. Her husband, a great friend and one of our staff WL's, plays one of her acoustics every Sunday. Side benefit, is that I've gotten to play all of her guitars. ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  13. blowery

blowery Member

100% agree...Bro-country is terrible...and the country rap is terrible.
    I'm a pretty open minded person when it comes to music and pretty much listen to a HUGE range of music...but this "pre-programmed pop supermainstream junk" is bad. By mainstream, I mean the stuff they are just pushing products to sell.

kdm1218 likes this.
  14. btjguitarman

Yeah basically if it’s on the CMAs it’s awful and unbearable to me. Old singer songwriter country western stuff I’m down with but the pop/bro country needs to die a quick and merciless death.

Gonash, kdm1218, gibs5000 and 2 others like this.
  15. John K.

John K. Member

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0955308/
    Mixed reviews, but I liked it.
    Nice!
    One thing from the lesson DVD was that Lincoln switches from the bridge pickup in the octave part to the neck pickup for the rest of the solo so it has that squishy Strat neck sound. Idk how well that transition would work from a bridge humbucker though.
    Sounded killer anyways!

:bkw:dunno

Gonash, kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  16. btjguitarman

John K. likes this.
  17. Steely Glen

Steely Glen Supporting Member

The country-rap hybrid should go by the name that it just begs to be called: c-rap. Crap.

I too consider myself pretty open-minded when it comes to music, but man, that stuff is awful.

Give me Chris Stapleton, Jason Isbell, and Sturgill Simpson any day.

18. boyce89976

Yeah, I mentioned that bridge to neck thing. It's not working as well going from the humbucker to the neck though, because the output is so different.

Here's an attempt at full speed from last night, also switching to the neck after the octaves. It's a little messy so be kind (I think it's take #49... haha, and I think my fingers were bleeding), but I think you'll hear what I'm talking about re: output difference. I'm going to raise my neck and middle a little and see if that helps.

19. John K.

John K. Member

Ah I see where you wrote that now haha. I just jumped quickly to watch the video!

boyce89976 likes this.
  20. boyce89976

The output level, I think is okay, but it's not hitting the drives nearly as hard as his does.