P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I won’t even start one what I think about Florida Georgia line :horse:horse:horse:horse:horse

But........

Chris is the Johnny cash of this generation, and the John Mayer for you Mayer guys, of country music/folk music....... plus he plays a jazz master, who plays a JM in country?!?!?!? :aok

2. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

PSA: interns are cool to have once trained on day to day stuff like computer systems. But until then, I miss TGP during random down moments! Instead I am two days behind on actual work with every spare moment teaching/explaining, and skimming the thread at warp speed from home at lunch.

I’m really not intending to be complaining. He’s a good kid. Just is what it is for the first week or so.

boyce89976 likes this.
  3. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Dude! Thanks!

Any tips for the parts I’m struggling with? Mainly that quick little 5-6-7-1-7-6-5-4-5-1-3-5-1-3-4-5-1-3 just before the legato bends at the end (starting at about 23seconds in the clip I just posted).

There are a couple of low E string descending slides I still need to work in too, but I think I need to get comfortable at a little higher tempo than the stock 110 before I can work those in.

4. blowery

blowery Member

I played that part up higher on the neck. I don't know if thats correct or not lol, but it sounded the same...or as close to same as I can sound to Lincoln Brewster.
    Maybe it would be easier and less reach on those parts from there. I'll have to try it out again at home.

Lincoln makes it look so easy and it's not...lol

In this video is the position that I play it in for that part.

metro6audio and boyce89976 like this.
  5. Memphis

Memphis Member

Nice clean playing in that, but it seemed to me the timing was a bit off in places...

Looked like a good first Lincoln tune to have a go at tho! I’m guessing the bridge pup for the octaves was to stop it getting too muddy.

blowery likes this.
  6. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

i like Stapleton as well, and stumbled across him a long time ago with his band ‘The Jomspon Brothers’. It was also around the same time I found rival sons.

I went a couple months hearing people clamor about Chris Stapleton and when I finally heard a tune, I thought it was a new Jomspon Bros album. I don’t do radio, and just stream pandora, Spotify or iTunes. Good stuff, for sure. I can get behind THAT type of country. The rest? Not so much.

Rig related, I’m still doing some souo searching but I’m gonna find out what pedals I don’t want to ditch, and sell everything else and put it towards a Helix. I sat down with the Tele, and really don’t want to let it go, though if one goes, that’ll be the one. A good friend has already laid claim, for a very fair price, if I decide to go that route.
    Hoping I can match my amp using the helix, in which case it’ll go. Surplus funds may go towards a 5e3 build I’ve mildly started, or go back towards recording again.

More to come! It’ll be a busy month at work, then the church launch next month, so hopefully things will settle and I can get back to woodshedding and rediscover some passion for those sing stringed slabs again.

-Empire, kdm1218 and gibs5000 like this.
  7. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

Thanks! I listened on headphones in my office and it sounds an awful lot like what I’m getting. I think a big part of this is me getting used to “quality” amp models.

I should be able to get a second this evening to A/B this with my sound. Thanks so much.

Also, I setup with our sound guy to meet early on Saturday and plug into the board at the console so I can hear what actually is coming through the house.

boyce89976 likes this.
  8. boyce89976

Man, he's clean. Yeah, that looks harder playing it up there in those shapes, so I won't be doing that! Also, one of the cool things in that solo is when Lincoln hits the 7 then the 1 on top of it to get that dissonance. I'm not sure you could do that playing the shapes in the video?

blowery likes this.
  9. boyce89976

Yeah, just remember that isolated it will sound very different than when the full band is there.

kdm1218 and JonCor2577 like this.
  10. Matticus

Matticus Member

Here's what I hear a little differently in two sections. It's not at speed (or, for that matter, "in tempo") so you can hear what I'm doing. I try to repeat it a few times.

boyce89976 and redmonda like this.
  11. NickAudette

NickAudette Member

Curious as to the guys choosing to go buy a helix. You know the Fractal AX8 is cheaper? Or do you guys prefer the simpler UI and included expression pedal? Just curious :)

blowery likes this.
  12. boyce89976

So, you might be right on the first part your playing. I'm hearing the extra low note that I'm playing in that run though... probably easier without it.

The 2nd part you're playing is not right, though. I didn't execute it cleanly enough in the clip above, but if you watch the video I posted at a little slower speed, I'm confident that part is note for note what he's playing except maybe the very end. The end of that run (the 3-4-5-1-3 triplet feel that ends that section) I think you're right there.

*** This is not directed at you, or anyone specifically, just something I know to be true***
    Ears are funny. If you're brain thinks it hears something your ears will definitely here it. I've heard things in songs that no one is playing. We talk about it all the time as a worship team, and practice listening exercises (charting songs or parts from listening only, not playing) so that people will listen more closely to the parts they need to play.

Together, we probably have it right. haha

This one is a journey for sure. Nothing I've posted on it should be considered right, or finished. Heck, I just started figuring it out on New Years Day (convinced I didn't have the skills prior to that - and, knowing I still don't)... It's a stretch piece for me, to help with my lead playing, and I'm only scratching the surface so far. There's a ton of nuance in there... like the slide at the beginning... LB slides up, then down into the first B octaves. There's also a mini slide or something between the first neck pickup section and the 2nd one (between the two sections you played). I can't work that in at the moment at full speed... not even close!

My goal is to play it note for note, nuance for nuance by the end of the year. So keep the tips coming!

Gonash, kdm1218 and redmonda like this.
  13. redmonda

redmonda Member

It started out more expensive...

I liked the workflow, UI, expression pedal and support that I've seen from Line 6. Can't really go wrong with with either.

I also liked that Helix was easier to try out (via guitar center).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    blowery and kdm1218 like this.
  14. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Supporting Member

Too many things in Australia trying to kill me. I don't want to have to watch out for drop bears every time I walk under a tree.

It is a lot warmer than Dunedin though... where are you based?

This Sunday's list (I'm worship leading / electric):

Center My Life - Austin Stone Worship

He Is The Light - Bryan & Katie Torwalt
    So Will I (100 Billion X) - Hillsong United (bridge tag)
    Yes & Amen - Housefires
    King Of My Heart - Sarah McMillan / Bethel

Gonash, kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  15. -Empire

-Empire Member

Just remember that when run direct, Helix generates a mic’d tone as if your amp were in in another room, mic’d up, and you were monitoring that feed through the same speakers you’re using with Helix. Totally different paradigm and will sound totally different than if you disabled the cab modeling and ran Helix into a power amp and guitar cab in the room with you (like when you play your amp in the room with you).

About a year after switching to Helix I picked up an AX8 so that I’d have an informed opinion about it. I ran both units through the same IRs and concluded that the differences in amp tones were negligible.

Reasons why I stuck with Helix:

Better UI, more DSP, more flexible routing, all-in-one form factor (incl. expression pedal), capacitive footswitches, built-in 2-in-1 expression pedal, bigger community, better support, 10 stomp mode, snapshots, four fx loops, built-in 8x8 USB interface, pedal edit mode, mic pre, the ability to run multiple instruments at once, and updates driven by ideascale.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Nick-O, playsarobin, redmonda and 2 others like this.
  16. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

My Matchless patch sounds almost identical to this. Maybe a little less "sizzle" but it's very very similar. I'm really thinking i need to adjust my ears. Thanks for posting this.

@-Empire I will have to check on that 4K suggestion too. I didn't have time to fire up the editor to look at it. (This is for a Plexi/strat setup)

boyce89976 likes this.
  17. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

It came!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Works great, actually more flexible and maneuverable than the cables I’ve been using too. Tangle resistant as well. Hit up redco for those who were wanting to build one, it was a bit pricey but definitely worth it!

cjm254, dmutter, Gonash and 3 others like this.
  18. metro6audio

metro6audio Supporting Member

Did you end up ordering through Redco? How much was it, all said and done? How much lead did they leave between the TRS and TS 1/4" at the board end (how far can your IEM unit be from your pedalboard input)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. :D

cjm254 likes this.
  19. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

You’ll have to email redco and get in touch with a person as they don’t offer this type of cable in their builder window. You can specify all the lengths and fans. I had them a leave 3’ fan on the board end, which you could probably order the TRS cable longer than the instrument cable if need be. I had them make the IEM plug a foot shorter than the instrument cable on the guitar end, which is about 15” from the fan, reality it could’ve been around 12” to 10” and it would’ve been about perfect, but I didn’t want to mess anyone else up who might use the cable (strats, teles, les Pauls, etc). Total was $100, but it’s also a 20’ cable, which I know some of you guys are happy with much shorter than that

metro6audio, kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  20. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Working on the Christmas recordings, same as always just dry tracks mixed with the L/R out's from the desk. No eq or anything.

This one is kind of cool, I used the Leslie effect in the Helix the whole song.

edit 2: This one's a little more interesting than Hark the Herald Angels sing. Ending part of the song I do a cool little high up thing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018