1. The target date for the upgrade is **TOMORROW** Tuesday, August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. papersun

papersun Member

til radioshack still exists

2. redmonda

redmonda Member

Those are MBritt patches. Most of the MBritt patches are low-key in terms of effects, those are some of the ones where he went a little more effect heavy.

Frankly, I wasn't super impressed with the MBritt patches. They were super bright, tried using them once live and didn't care for them.

Edit: Added a few of the MBritt descriptions (from his included PDF):

Mod Chicken – (IR: Vox Blend 3) Weird name, I know. Thanks to limited character space, it
    actually stands for modern chicken picking tone. I was going for a bit of a Brad Paisley type Dr.
    Z tone. It’s really hard to capture how he can have a clean and dirty tone sitting at the same
    table, but I tried.

Say Delay – (IR: Vox Blend 3) I was goofing around with stacking delays and the sweep echo
    and landed on this rhythmic sound that suddenly sounded like I was playing a Hall & Oates
    song. Rather than say it isn’t so, I just used the name to remind me what rhythm I should play
    with it.

Wanged – (IR: Vox Blend 3) I’ve always loved that 80’s over processed compressed sound with
    tons of gack so I thought I’d pay homage to the Chungers of Wang. You can play around with
    the delay times to fit whatever song you want to play and it sounds good for everything from
    spacious chord attacks to swells.

Rhythmystic – (IR: Vox Blend 3) I love the base amp tones I got from combining the Matchless
    and /13 and then I just went a little nutty with the delays and filter. I’m always looking for tones
    that become part of a song and this one just made me want to keep playing for a long time.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    yeatzee likes this.
  3. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton Member

I should get me a wife that knows what an SG is! ;)

Memphis and btjguitarman like this.
  4. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton Member

+1, just for "big knobs" in the P&W thread! :)

metro6audio, Memphis and dmutter like this.
  5. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

That's a little surprising. Michael was working on those when we profiled my Two Rock Classic Reverb Sig. We talked about the Helix and his goal was to match the Helix patches to his Kemper profiles, and his Kemper profiles are some of the best out there.

dickjonesify likes this.
  6. redmonda

redmonda Member

Yeah, I was surprised as well. People rave about his Kemper profiles, but the response to the Helix presets has been pretty lukewarm. There are some folks over on the Helix thread that used to be Kemper users and all lamented that they were a step back.

teleguy234234 and boyce89976 like this.
  7. Kylote

Kylote Member

How does a Jazzmaster compare to a strat or tele sound wise? I get the notion that it is almost a completely different beast... I think some folks complain it is really thin in comparison?

He_Ma likes this.
  8. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Hahahahahaha

Of course! Yep Redmonda is correct, MBritt Patches. User 3 on Helix Edit is the only one not filled with my patches so I used it to create the one for the video. I don't use any of his patches, I didn't like any of them really.

Yep! Also agreed, I don't use them and wouldn't recommend them. The IR's are ok, but out of phase with everything else (stock cabs and every other IR I've tried) and super low level.

Yeah i bought off of his reputation. Was disappointed, I didn't really think any of them were very good. I should revisit them just to make sure, but I haven't had any desire to use any part of them for anything. I do use his IR's that come with, mainly because it's the only patches I've ever purchased and I hate feeling like something I bought was a waste.

redmonda likes this.
  9. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Depends on the jazzmaster. If it has real JM pickups and the "regular" 1meg pots they are super bright and jangly, beyond any tele/strat I've played. Most I know with them play with the tone knob on like 6-7 permanently, never on full.

Kylote likes this.
  10. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

I agree with this. I did like some of the IR’s it came with but honestly I never use any of the presets. Nothing against the guy or his kemper stuff, but yeah personally didn’t care much for the helix presets.

redmonda likes this.
  11. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

That's typically our rule too. In this case though, I think he felt just to dive in (it was extremely spur of the moment) and to be fair, I think it was the 'right' thing; and with our usual personnel we would have nailed it. Just a few different peeps on board. I turned around and was calling numbers to the keys and bass, who followed pretty damn well, but the drummer didn't quite have the 'feel' of the song. Then the WL forgot the words in the verse so I had to cover that and was no longer able to communicate numbers at the same time. Just one of those messy moments! But also fun.
    Yes; but I'm not going to. If I plugged anything into that Exp input, it'll be a tap for the trem. The small box Strymons really need a MIDI in. Hence why I'm looking at the Specular Tempus. I like simple onstage, so it's nice being able to control everything from my MS-3 with a single switch press. Also, I kind of suck at dialing in verbs.
    That's what I have (mine's an "E" serial, so from between 84 & 87) and it's an incredible guitar. Plays and sounds better than my US Strat, which I'm likely to sell. I reckon mine though spent half its life in its case, as the frets were like new. I honestly couldn't believe the condition / quality of the neck when I got it.
    Thanks man. We do have similar accents; though Aussies are more twangy. But that's kind of needed for technically correct pronunciation when singing. Kiwis have to be careful with their vowel vocalisation when singing as our accents don't naturally lend to good technique.
    It's definitely high, just on the little slides up in the chorus (on "Earth") and also the last note in the bridge (over the C#m); she has a powerful voice but kept having to switch to head voice and just lost all her oomph and control.

blowery and kdm1218 like this.
  12. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

The first time my wife saw me I was playing a red SG so there’s some nostalgia there.

13. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

In cases like yours I’m sure the midi would be nice. But I don’t think they’ll ever do V2 or anything with it. They’d lose something being top jack, and lose sales to ones who get the big boxes cause they want/need midi control versus those who don’t and can use the smaller boxes. And adding that extra ability I’d imagine would also drive up small box costs further to update it as well, and then they lose some of that price separation from the big boxes.

Gibs210 likes this.
  14. dmutter

dmutter Member

Gibs210 likes this.
  15. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Here’s one shot from “Your Spirit and My Soul” release party (by Tall Pines Cathedral).
    I’m the giant on the left, married to the girl second from the right.
    I’m not really that tall; we were in a semi circle, and the camera angle makes it funny.
    So if you were gonna fire a small smooth stone at my melon from a sling, don’t.
    I’m 6’-0”.

[​IMG]

Yep. Those are antlers along the bottom of the stage.
    I don’t know why.
    One of the girls from Montana brought a whol bag of them.

God I love Montana.

Spec, kevindsingleton, cjm254 and 7 others like this.
  16. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Hahahahaha. You really do look ginormous.

boyce89976, MoonshineMan and kdm1218 like this.
  17. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I bought 4 pairs :D for sure using 4 to 6 of them, got an extra set since it was only a dollar more, and in case of future purchases. There’s a certain SA filter in the future, so I might have use for them on there.

dmutter likes this.
  18. Zack.LW

Zack.LW Member

Jazzmasters can be super bright. Gotta really ride that tone knob with them. I had avri 65 pickups in mine and they sounded great with the tone at 5-7ish. Any higher was brittle and any lower was mud.

Teles are twangy and more mid focused.

Strats are generally mid scooped, quacky, chimey.

I've had all three and prefer the tele. I'm on a strat kick right now. I think they're more versatile and really useful for where the p&w genre is right now with it being pop synth driven and dancey.

This. Never above 7ish.

Kylote and kdm1218 like this.
  19. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

And she still married you? :rimshot

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

20. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

yeah i don't know what she was thinking.