P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton Member

I bought my G&L S-500 at a pawn shop in Grapevine, Texas, in the late 80s. It had flatwound jazz strings on it, and the bridge was jacked up off the body about an inch. Totally unplayable, and that's probably why it was tagged for such a low price. I took it home for $150, and it's been my favorite guitar for nearly 30 years. Pawn shops used to really be cool. Flea markets, too. You just never knew what you'd find.

metro6audio and kdm1218 like this.
  2. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I had my eye on an Ascari GT90 for a while but it sold before I could come up with the funds. And then my wife said "why don't you just save a little more and buy an SG?" so that's what Im doing. The Ascari was super cool though... like a PRS had a baby with a Gibson at a pretty low price.

kevindsingleton likes this.
  3. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Heads up, for those who were interested in those big knobs from radio shack, they have a buy one get one 50% off sale for today only online. I picked up 4 more, got some plans for them all :D

dmutter, kevindsingleton and kdm1218 like this.
  4. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Link?

dmutter likes this.
  5. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

6. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Im writing my sermon and some of my old band's music came on. man I was such a better and more interesting guitar player when I was playing stuff other than just P&W.

shawn w, xcc, Spec and 7 others like this.
  7. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Just got a chance to listen to this - I think this sounds good. I know you guys are in NZ but the accents made me think of that dumb video where the US worship leader makes everyone use fake Aussie accents to get the "hillsong feel."

I have trouble (sometimes) pitching things for female voices, although our main worship leader/vocalist has a good range and can get through just about anything pretty well. This doesn't seem egregiously out of range to me. I'm a tenor so if I get it wrong I'd rather be singing up than down, although I've had vocal problems and haven't led at all in a while.

we have some recent recordings, but the drums are not in the mix at all, as we went to a small kit in a small room and no amplification is necessary. We might be getting a digital board, which would (possibly?) allow us to do some multi-tracked live recording so we could mic the kit and not blow everyone out. So the moral of the story is that you'll have to wait until we get the newer stuff sorted out to hear my wrong notes :)

kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  8. blowery

blowery Member

It is fugly! o_O But I would question it's build quality being better than Yamaha.

It seems pretty killer. Since getting my 335 I really like the 24.75 scale. It's not much of an issue for me to play both but I have been enjoying that scale.
    I may have to dig a little deeper on finding one of those. That Yamaha and the Adkins tele will pretty much be the same price.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  9. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Man.... I could really get going on this.

But I really shouldn’t.

Spec, Steely Glen, Memphis and 3 others like this.
  10. boyce89976

I was a WAY better lead player in college (before I quit playing for 20 years), even though I didn't know crap about music, just what I picked up from VanHalen, RATT, Bon Jovi, The Pixies, etc... but I'm a much better guitar player now... probably because I actually use my brain when I play now instead of being in a chemical fog. :nuts

shawn w, Nick-O, metro6audio and 4 others like this.
  11. papersun

papersun Member

til radioshack still exists

12. redmonda

redmonda Member

Those are MBritt patches. Most of the MBritt patches are low-key in terms of effects, those are some of the ones where he went a little more effect heavy.

Frankly, I wasn't super impressed with the MBritt patches. They were super bright, tried using them once live and didn't care for them.

Edit: Added a few of the MBritt descriptions (from his included PDF):

Mod Chicken – (IR: Vox Blend 3) Weird name, I know. Thanks to limited character space, it
    actually stands for modern chicken picking tone. I was going for a bit of a Brad Paisley type Dr.
    Z tone. It’s really hard to capture how he can have a clean and dirty tone sitting at the same
    table, but I tried.

Say Delay – (IR: Vox Blend 3) I was goofing around with stacking delays and the sweep echo
    and landed on this rhythmic sound that suddenly sounded like I was playing a Hall & Oates
    song. Rather than say it isn’t so, I just used the name to remind me what rhythm I should play
    with it.

Wanged – (IR: Vox Blend 3) I’ve always loved that 80’s over processed compressed sound with
    tons of gack so I thought I’d pay homage to the Chungers of Wang. You can play around with
    the delay times to fit whatever song you want to play and it sounds good for everything from
    spacious chord attacks to swells.

Rhythmystic – (IR: Vox Blend 3) I love the base amp tones I got from combining the Matchless
    and /13 and then I just went a little nutty with the delays and filter. I’m always looking for tones
    that become part of a song and this one just made me want to keep playing for a long time.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    yeatzee likes this.
  13. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton Member

I should get me a wife that knows what an SG is! ;)

Memphis and btjguitarman like this.
  14. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton Member

+1, just for "big knobs" in the P&W thread! :)

metro6audio, Memphis and dmutter like this.
  15. boyce89976

That's a little surprising. Michael was working on those when we profiled my Two Rock Classic Reverb Sig. We talked about the Helix and his goal was to match the Helix patches to his Kemper profiles, and his Kemper profiles are some of the best out there.

dickjonesify likes this.
  16. redmonda

redmonda Member

Yeah, I was surprised as well. People rave about his Kemper profiles, but the response to the Helix presets has been pretty lukewarm. There are some folks over on the Helix thread that used to be Kemper users and all lamented that they were a step back.

teleguy234234 and boyce89976 like this.
  17. Kylote

Kylote Member

How does a Jazzmaster compare to a strat or tele sound wise? I get the notion that it is almost a completely different beast... I think some folks complain it is really thin in comparison?

He_Ma likes this.
  18. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Hahahahahaha

Of course! Yep Redmonda is correct, MBritt Patches. User 3 on Helix Edit is the only one not filled with my patches so I used it to create the one for the video. I don't use any of his patches, I didn't like any of them really.

Yep! Also agreed, I don't use them and wouldn't recommend them. The IR's are ok, but out of phase with everything else (stock cabs and every other IR I've tried) and super low level.

Yeah i bought off of his reputation. Was disappointed, I didn't really think any of them were very good. I should revisit them just to make sure, but I haven't had any desire to use any part of them for anything. I do use his IR's that come with, mainly because it's the only patches I've ever purchased and I hate feeling like something I bought was a waste.

redmonda likes this.
  19. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Depends on the jazzmaster. If it has real JM pickups and the "regular" 1meg pots they are super bright and jangly, beyond any tele/strat I've played. Most I know with them play with the tone knob on like 6-7 permanently, never on full.

Kylote likes this.
  20. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

I agree with this. I did like some of the IR’s it came with but honestly I never use any of the presets. Nothing against the guy or his kemper stuff, but yeah personally didn’t care much for the helix presets.

redmonda likes this.