P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
We are working on some rebranding as a church (I hate that term), but one of the good things we are developing is what I call an “on-ramp” for joining the team. Clearly there needs to some level of profiency, but all of us started somewhere, and part of a good team is helping bring others up to in their gifts. Attitudes and heart alignment are clearly more important than ability, but there needs to be a way to encourage growth.

For a while I have been dealing with the desire to go somewhere and learn under others, most of the people who were role models for me have moved on to other places. However, I recently have felt I need to step up more and help create the culture. It has been interesting.

Dshaw77

We generally play with two EG’s on Sunday, most of our worship leaders would rather have 2 EG’s than 1 EG and 1 acoustic, I think that’s rather abnormal, but I luvvvv it.

We also started doing a volunTOUR once a month, for people that wanna help, but don’t know all the places that they could help, or if they just want a tour of the church lol

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
Man. Worship was powerful this morning.

Excellent band, which is such a huge blessing to be able to say when I’m not even playing. I was Audio 2.
Right there with you. Filled in for our other lead guitarist today last minute after he had some heart issues and had to go to the ER (apparently that's what happens when you try to run a triathlon in 95 degree heat...). Pretty much all our best people together, so just the playing part was tons of fun, but a lot more was going on besides that.

Side note: today was a lead in to a huge free outreach event our church is doing next weekend in conjunction with a bunch of other local churches at our local stadium. Hollyn, Phil Wickham, and Lecrae are all there, and my pastor will be preaching. Can't wait for it! Looks like our sound guy and I are going to be sitting backstage learning mixing from the guy being brought in to mix in-ears for all the artists.

boyce89976

Silver Supporting Member
Playing a Lifeway Men's event (called "The Main Event") this coming weekend. Setlist below... Lifeway specifically asked for "no new songs", so we're doing a couple of Travis' songs and some "standards".

Do you guys have any good guitar versions for "Here I Am to Worship", "10,000 Reasons", and "How Great is Our God"?

Last edited:

Gibs210

Here’s last week. Not a great mix, but it was a board mix, I’m pretty prominent in the hook of lion and the lamb, but I get quiet the rest of the time it seems. I could’ve swore I was looking up and out more than I did. I’m just a shoegazer at heart I guess. Would’ve moved around more, but there was that darn open tub in the floor 5’ behind me. I hate spotlights.

Flip362

Here’s last week. Not a great mix, but it was a board mix, I’m pretty prominent in the hook of lion and the lamb, but I get quiet the rest of the time it seems. I could’ve swore I was looking up and out more than I did. I’m just a shoegazer at heart I guess. Would’ve moved around more, but there was that darn open tub in the floor 5’ behind me. I hate spotlights.

I played that song for the first time ever on Saturday night in Spanish! I hope to play it in English one day, it is a lot of fun! I wonder if I can find the post for the Spanish service... it’s strange to hear it on the radio in English and then find yourself singing the right words, which happen to also be the wrong words!

JonCor2577

I appreciate the observations... judging from this thread, I felt like a prominent acoustic was the minority (which is mostly what we are) :D

My contribution for the week... drummer was there today but no electric guitar. Verses sound good on this. I feel like he got off a little bit by the second chorus (and he was still playing pretty heavy when the bridge drops down), but is at least an improvement over some of the stuff in the past.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a035p9omztp13oc/Remember.mp3?dl=0

Also broke a string during this song :confused:
Breaking a string is the worst!

You are right though, I'd say this is an improvement over some other stuff you've shared with the drummer. Do you know if your WL was able to have a good chat with him?

On that note (chatting with WL), I got the 12 song setlist for a High School Worship Night in a few weeks. It's thrown me for a loop.

Living Hope, we normally do in D. It's in A.
I am who you say I am, we normally do in G or B. It's in E. :confused:

Why? Oh why?

redmonda

Playing a Lifeway Men's event (called "The Main Event") this coming weekend. Setlist below... Lifeway specifically asked for "no new songs", so we're doing a couple of Travis' songs and some "standards".

Do you guys have any good guitar versions for "Here I Am to Worship", "10,000 Reasons", and "How Great is Our God"?
Jesus Culture for 10,000 Reasons?

Always thought it was an interesting EG take on the song, but pretty low key still.

If you are looking for acoustic, my favorite is Rend Collective. We've done it a few times and it works well.

He_Ma

Our sunday set went amazing! Got multiple compliments about how powerful worship was right after church and few texts few hours after the church. Week before and trying to get band together was the hardest part.. One bass player, three guitarists (that also can do bass and sing) and one singer couldn't come. And at that point we had me on guitar or bass depending if we get more people, drums and my wife leading from keys. The sound guy was confirmed on saturday and to that point it was unclear if there's going to be sound guy and at first there was no one showing lyrics to the screen, but 5 min before the service started we got one young guy with great heart to help us out with that.. My wife has really bad morning sickness from pregnancy and we really did need second singer in case she starts throwing up and cant sing. At thursday my friend from other town told me, that he can come play bass and sing which was huge relief. We picked 5 songs for his vocal range for backup, but my wife had first morning in a month that she was feeling good. So in the end everything went great and we felt blessed to be able to pull it through even when the conditions were quite terrible.. And oh, we also had our BJJ gyms 10 year anniversary party on saturday and our old head coach came to keep 2x1,5 hour practices. At the last minutes of the second training I hurt my knee (there's old injury) and on sunday I couldn't bend my knee too much before it started to hurt..

I played my Jazzmaster strat hybrid and Helix. I went once again whole set with Empires patch with Matchless ch2 and about 50% of the time I had timmy on top of that. I have lowered the gain a bit so it's quite clean without any drives..

I also started 4 week summer vacation today and I will be days at home with our 1,5 year old girl while my wife is working. That's only if she is able.. She had already agreed to go to work this month before the pregnancy news so there might be some sick leave if she still feels as sick as past month..

We do how great is our god little more uptempo than most and we go full U2 on that song.. Its one of the few songs that we do that. We do it in G so I play around D shape at 5th fret (G chord). If you do it in B it might get too high to play D-shape stuff though..

Kylote

Breaking a string is the worst!

You are right though, I'd say this is an improvement over some other stuff you've shared with the drummer. Do you know if your WL was able to have a good chat with him?

On that note (chatting with WL), I got the 12 song setlist for a High School Worship Night in a few weeks. It's thrown me for a loop.

Living Hope, we normally do in D. It's in A.
I am who you say I am, we normally do in G or B. It's in E. :confused:

Why? Oh why?
I do know they discussed a rotation, and maybe relieving the pressure of needing to be there every week helped. I don’t think she talked to him about the overplaying issue. I tried to praise him on the play through before service on songs he did really well, matching his drum parts to the tone of the song. He actually arrived there the same time I did, which was like 10 minutes early when usually he is 15-20 minutes late so that is cool (we get there an hour before service to set up and run through all 5 songs, luckily we are the first service in the sanctuary).

My good friend’s (and our electric guitarist) daughter’s boyfriend is I think a drum major, or just a music major that plays drums, so we might be able to get him in rotation. Only issue is he usually isn’t available on Thursday nights when we can practice as far as I understand. But with another drummer and us recording, I think it could only help. Our normal drummer can hear what the other guy plays and sort of compare his to the other guy and maybe make adjustments.

On string breaking... it never happens to me on electric, but it is pretty common for me on acoustic. I probably have horrible technique, or I just get too into fast songs and strum too hard. I've gotten pretty good at quick string changes. I popped the B, so during the sermon I swapped out the B and the E (since they are packaged together in the D'Addario packs). Usually if pressed I can change all 6 in about 15 minutes tops, sometimes as quickly as 10 minutes if necessary :D I usually have to change them about once a month to avoid breaking them. After a month on the same acoustic strings I am living on borrowed time. On electric, I can use the same strings for a year... it is more about when they sound dead than worrying about them breaking.

Last edited:

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I went to a wedding in an old New England Anglican Church yesterday, and I think I’m going to write some music that fits that vibe... big, moody, sort of post rocky type sounds would rule in a liturgical high church setting

Zack.LW

Yeah none of the churches had anything about joining the team, and I had to do some searching on their sites to find out more info. I'm not shy and happy to introduce myself and talk to the WL so that's not been a problem with me but I recognize I'm probably more of the exception than the rule.
Infact I did it at the biggest church we went to, went up after service and talked to the WL introducing myself and asked how their system worked to get involved. I would think even just adding a slide to the PowerPoint rotation saying something about looking for volunteers or whatever before service begins would help a lot. Then mention once a month after service that if you're interested in getting involved don't be shy come up and talk to us or whatever :)
Not sure if this is the way it is over there but the lack of a pre-service slide or other advertising may be an intentional move. Advertising like that has a downside in that you get a lot of bedroom rockstars who say oh I could do that I guess and it turns out to be a waste of time. If someone is intentional about being on the worship team, they should have the confidence to seek out the worship leader, make a connection, and find out what the next steps are as you did. Just my take on that.

The other thing about that is that in big churches that can be an overwhelming and logistical nightmare to hold auditions and such. Lots of large churches do video auditions now and then do a group live audition to be more conscientious of everyone’s time.

We are working on some rebranding as a church (I hate that term), but one of the good things we are developing is what I call an “on-ramp” for joining the team. Clearly there needs to some level of profiency, but all of us started somewhere, and part of a good team is helping bring others up to in their gifts. Attitudes and heart alignment are clearly more important than ability, but there needs to be a way to encourage growth.

For a while I have been dealing with the desire to go somewhere and learn under others, most of the people who were role models for me have moved on to other places. However, I recently have felt I need to step up more and help create the culture. It has been interesting.
At one of my previous churches, we copied the church of the highlands infuse program which prepares people who show talent but not necessarily stage presence or confidence yet to build them up.

My last church and elevation both have schools of worship which is becoming more common. Great way to get young people involved and also a great way to have seasoned musicians at the church find fulfillment through mentoring as well.

JokeSmuggler

Silver Supporting Member
I played that song for the first time ever on Saturday night in Spanish! I hope to play it in English one day, it is a lot of fun! I wonder if I can find the post for the Spanish service... it’s strange to hear it on the radio in English and then find yourself singing the right words, which happen to also be the wrong words!
Ha! We did Exalted Over All in Romania this summer. Then when we came home, we did it one week in Romanian, and when we played it the next week in English it was really weird trying to switch back! Language is a really weird thing...

I played for the first time at my new-ish church yesterday and it went great. Here's what I used:

Revelator Tele -> Line 6 Helix: Deluxe Comp, Klon, Tube Screamer, Swirl (more below), AC30 w/IR.

I wanted to escape the typical worship cliches, so no delay, minimal reverb, no volume swells. My base tone was Tele bridge pickup with Deluxe Comp into the AC30, and I added some Swirl to make things interesting. This is what I'm calling the sound of doing an A/B split after the overdrives and blending in about 40% of B, which has chorus and flanger to give the tone a hazy dream pop sort of sound. My favorite album of the last year was Gleemer's album Anymore, which has this sound on a lot of the tracks (listen to "Come Down", particularly the cleaner parts, to get an idea what I'm talking about.) I thought it'd be cool to try this sort of sound in a worship setting where we did two hymns (Be Thou My Vision, Come Thou Fount) along with an original song and one by Sandra McCracken. It sounded great, the modulation effects were pretty subtle in the live mix, and the best part was that I didn't need to tweak a single thing on my sound when I got plugged in. Turns out the $80 or so Sony studio headphones I got for playing at home sound very similar to a stage monitor, so I was able to EQ everything at home during the week.

Playing through the Helix has been a revelation. I used to spend tons of time scrolling through worship gear photos on Instagram and forums, constantly wanting new pedals and bits of gear. I spent a crazy amount of time researching, buying, and building an elaborate pedalboard (mostly for playing at church.) I sold off all of that after I got the Helix. Not only have I been completely satisfied by how easy it is to use, transport, set up, and play live and at home, but it's effectively neutralized my desire for new gear. It does basically everything I want, and for a very reasonable price. This would be great in any setting, but since I play at church, I find it more beneficial in this context than just about anywhere else.

I've spent probably too much time thinking about how a lot of worship guitarists can be materialistic to an almost comical degree, having elaborate $10,000+ rigs for playing at church once a week. I'm not trying to start a fight, I really felt convicted about this, I guess. There's nothing wrong at all with wanting to sound good, but I think it's easy to go far beyond the point of diminishing returns in the pursuit of one more shiny toy that we hope will bring satisfaction... but never does. Is spending $10,000 on a Morgan amp, Stryfecta board loaded with boutique pedals and wired by Goodwood Audio, and guitars by Elliott and Veritas really the best use of our money? Especially when you can sound great with a Baja Tele, an AC30, and 4-6 pedals you could probably get at Guitar Center, at a fraction of the price? (Off the bat: a Digitech Polara, TC Electronic Flashback, EHX Soul Food, Barber Direct Drive, Xotic SP comp, and Boss volume pedal would probably get me 99% of the sounds I'd ever need for worship music and sound great at $800, and even cheaper used.)

Why do we as worship guitarists feel like we need the best in every category? When do we decide we've got enough gear, and start putting our surplus money to better use elsewhere? Why don't we spend more time thinking about how our gear habits reflect on how we're (often negatively, in guitar communities) seen as Christians and are actually part of our witness? Is it really okay to use money from the church budget to get ourselves shiny new gear?

I don't think the answer to these questions are going to be the same for everybody and I don't think there's a concrete metric for judging (if you're Jeffrey Kunde or whoever, who plays guitar as a full-time job and has to meet the demands of studio work and live touring, I get it, even though it can still strike me as pretty overboard.) I'm not saying everybody should sell their rig and get a Helix. I'm also not throwing shade at anybody here in particular - many, if not most of the posters on this thread seem to have pretty reasonable setups. But I do think we could only benefit from really spending some time to contemplate and pray over this stuff, which is something I've absolutely never seen even mentioned in the P&W community.

kingrazor

Not sure if this is the way it is over there but the lack of a pre-service slide or other advertising may be an intentional move. Advertising like that has a downside in that you get a lot of bedroom rockstars who say oh I could do that I guess and it turns out to be a waste of time. If someone is intentional about being on the worship team, they should have the confidence to seek out the worship leader, make a connection, and find out what the next steps are as you did. Just my take on that.

The other thing about that is that in big churches that can be an overwhelming and logistical nightmare to hold auditions and such. Lots of large churches do video auditions now and then do a group live audition to be more conscientious of everyone’s time.

At one of my previous churches, we copied the church of the highlands infuse program which prepares people who show talent but not necessarily stage presence or confidence yet to build them up.

My last church and elevation both have schools of worship which is becoming more common. Great way to get young people involved and also a great way to have seasoned musicians at the church find fulfillment through mentoring as well.
A few years ago we started doing a "team night". We're trying to do it a few times a year, though we've only done 4 in the last 4 years, and didn't do one at all in 2016. We try to get as many members of the current worship team as we can to be there and open it up to anyone who wants to try out, then we all play a song together, switching people out throughout the night. Then the WL talks to each of the people who tried out individually. So far we've only had a handful of people join through this method, and basically all of them were background vocals, but it's been a better method than just waiting for people to approach the worship leader.

yeatzee

Could be, but I doubt it. The biggest church had thousands of members, it was the biggest sanctuary I've been in. With that being said their team was rough, they had no electric guitarist, and could absolutely have used some help with a lot of things. You could still use the video method you mentioned to sift through a large number, if they were to receive a large number, but again i doubt they would (we aren't talking an Elevation church here where every guitarist is drawn to it already).
I also would agree in theory with the second bit, but in practice I don't think it's true for a lot of people. I've played with one person who plays keys since basically middle school, we've just so happened to end up at the same church every time thus far (this will be our first separation!). She is very talented, but she is shy and not outgoing with people she doesn't know. Getting involved at my last church, she had been going a few months longer than me and never went up and talked to the WL about serving (this is after 4 years of playing every sunday at our previous church together). I, not a shy guy, went up and talked to him right away and joined the team fairly quickly. I kept encouraging her but she felt very uncomfortable starting that conversation (They didn't do a call or any advertising or anything) so I introduced her to the WL one Sunday to get the ball rolling and fast forward to now she plays 3-4 Sundays a month, and is the foundation for most songs due to her skills with mainstage. Some people with the right heart and skills still need a little push or icebreaker to get that conversation going. Me, I just walk up introduce myself and start talking shop lol. I totally see your point, especially for churches like Elevation or the like (you play at an Elevation right? or something like that? You need to post some clips man) but for places not known for their rocking worship I think it'd be a good idea :)

I played for the first time at my new-ish church yesterday and it went great. Here's what I used:

Revelator Tele -> Line 6 Helix: Deluxe Comp, Klon, Tube Screamer, Swirl (more below), AC30 w/IR.

I wanted to escape the typical worship cliches, so no delay, minimal reverb, no volume swells. My base tone was Tele bridge pickup with Deluxe Comp into the AC30, and I added some Swirl to make things interesting. This is what I'm calling the sound of doing an A/B split after the overdrives and blending in about 40% of B, which has chorus and flanger to give the tone a hazy dream pop sort of sound. My favorite album of the last year was Gleemer's album Anymore, which has this sound on a lot of the tracks (listen to "Come Down", particularly the cleaner parts, to get an idea what I'm talking about.) I thought it'd be cool to try this sort of sound in a worship setting where we did two hymns (Be Thou My Vision, Come Thou Fount) along with an original song and one by Sandra McCracken. It sounded great, the modulation effects were pretty subtle in the live mix, and the best part was that I didn't need to tweak a single thing on my sound when I got plugged in. Turns out the $80 or so Sony studio headphones I got for playing at home sound very similar to a stage monitor, so I was able to EQ everything at home during the week.

Playing through the Helix has been a revelation. I used to spend tons of time scrolling through worship gear photos on Instagram and forums, constantly wanting new pedals and bits of gear. I spent a crazy amount of time researching, buying, and building an elaborate pedalboard (mostly for playing at church.) I sold off all of that after I got the Helix. Not only have I been completely satisfied by how easy it is to use, transport, set up, and play live and at home, but it's effectively neutralized my desire for new gear. It does basically everything I want, and for a very reasonable price. This would be great in any setting, but since I play at church, I find it more beneficial in this context than just about anywhere else.

I've spent probably too much time thinking about how a lot of worship guitarists can be materialistic to an almost comical degree, having elaborate $10,000+ rigs for playing at church once a week. I'm not trying to start a fight, I really felt convicted about this, I guess. There's nothing wrong at all with wanting to sound good, but I think it's easy to go far beyond the point of diminishing returns in the pursuit of one more shiny toy that we hope will bring satisfaction... but never does. Is spending $10,000 on a Morgan amp, Stryfecta board loaded with boutique pedals and wired by Goodwood Audio, and guitars by Elliott and Veritas really the best use of our money? Especially when you can sound great with a Baja Tele, an AC30, and 4-6 pedals you could probably get at Guitar Center, at a fraction of the price? (Off the bat: a Digitech Polara, TC Electronic Flashback, EHX Soul Food, Barber Direct Drive, Xotic SP comp, and Boss volume pedal would probably get me 99% of the sounds I'd ever need for worship music and sound great at $800, and even cheaper used.)

Why do we as worship guitarists feel like we need the best in every category? When do we decide we've got enough gear, and start putting our surplus money to better use elsewhere? Why don't we spend more time thinking about how our gear habits reflect on how we're (often negatively, in guitar communities) seen as Christians and are actually part of our witness? Is it really okay to use money from the church budget to get ourselves shiny new gear?

I don't think the answer to these questions are going to be the same for everybody and I don't think there's a concrete metric for judging (if you're Jeffrey Kunde or whoever, who plays guitar as a full-time job and has to meet the demands of studio work and live touring, I get it, even though it can still strike me as pretty overboard.) I'm not saying everybody should sell their rig and get a Helix. I'm also not throwing shade at anybody here in particular - many, if not most of the posters on this thread seem to have pretty reasonable setups. But I do think we could only benefit from really spending some time to contemplate and pray over this stuff, which is something I've absolutely never seen even mentioned in the P&W community.
Welcome to the Helix family, your conclusions with it mirror a large number of regular posters in this thread including me :)

It certainly killed all the amp or pedal desires I had, but it didn't kill my love for guitars ;) As for the whole second portion, it's definitely been discussed a good amount in this thread. I fully admit to being dumb and judging people in the past based off of their crazy IG rig pictures every Sunday, it's a thing for sure and I know people on the outside do it to "us" as well. Ultimately for me, the "need" argument doesn't resonate. If it's just volunteer work there's no reason worship couldn't be done with a boss katana with the footswitch and a squier tele for the majority of circumstances. I want to sound better than that rig though, I want to make the best tones I can, I want to sound good at church and elsewhere AND it's more fun with good gear ;)
I have no qualms with people having giant boards and expensive amp rigs etc, so long as they aren't financially struggling to get/maintain it. If you have to go into debt, you're overextending yourself and take a step back. If you've got the fun money available then I don't think there's a problem. I'm certainly in no place to start randomly judging strangers financial situation/decisions based off of a gear picture. Music is a hobby for most people here, as much of a hobby as cars, guns, computer games, whatever. If you look at it that way, guitar equipment is CHEAP compared to anything car related haha.

Last edited:

Zack.LW

Could be, but I doubt it. The biggest church had thousands of members, it was the biggest sanctuary I've been in. With that being said their team was rough, they had no electric guitarist, and could absolutely have used some help with a lot of things. You could still use the video method you mentioned to sift through a large number, if they were to receive a large number, but again i doubt they would (we aren't talking an Elevation church here where every guitarist is drawn to it already).
I also would agree in theory with the second bit, but in practice I don't think it's true for a lot of people. I've played with one person who plays keys since basically middle school, we've just so happened to end up at the same church every time thus far (this will be our first separation!). She is very talented, but she is shy and not outgoing with people she doesn't know. Getting involved at my last church, she had been going a few months longer than me and never went up and talked to the WL about serving (this is after 4 years of playing every sunday at our previous church together). I, not a shy guy, went up and talked to him right away and joined the team fairly quickly. I kept encouraging her but she felt very uncomfortable starting that conversation (They didn't do a call or any advertising or anything) so I introduced her to the WL one Sunday to get the ball rolling and fast forward to now she plays 3-4 Sundays a month, and is the foundation for most songs due to her skills with mainstage. Some people with the right heart and skills still need a little push or icebreaker to get that conversation going. Me, I just walk up introduce myself and start talking shop lol. I totally see your point, especially for churches like Elevation or the like (you play at an Elevation right? or something like that? You need to post some clips man) but for places not known for their rocking worship I think it'd be a good idea :)
I haven’t always been at Elevation though so it’s not all I know. The church I was at before was a startup satellite campus and before that was a brand new church plant. It’s infinitely harder to find any sort of talent in smaller churches but even in the brand new church plant we didn’t advertise like that. We actually went downtown to some concerts and picked up some people. I see what you mean about some amazing talent being shy but I don’t think a slide would have pushed her to go talk to someone. It still took a connection.

I recently decided to take a break from music for a little while since I’m currently working full time and in school for a career change so it doesn’t leave much room for practice and family time. I’m planning on jumping back in it around December/January time though and will def get some clips from the soundboard some time. I’m still doing some stuff on production for the time being every other week which has been low key and fun to be a part of. Here’s a pic of the control room from a few weeks ago:

Playpunk

I haven’t always been at Elevation though so it’s not all I know. The church I was at before was a startup satellite campus and before that was a brand new church plant. It’s infinitely harder to find any sort of talent in smaller churches but even in the brand new church plant we didn’t advertise like that. We actually went downtown to some concerts and picked up some people. I see what you mean about some amazing talent being shy but I don’t think a slide would have pushed her to go talk to someone. It still took a connection.

I recently decided to take a break from music for a little while since I’m currently working full time and in school for a career change so it doesn’t leave much room for practice and family time. I’m planning on jumping back in it around December/January time though and will def get some clips from the soundboard some time. I’m still doing some stuff on production for the time being every other week which has been low key and fun to be a part of. Here’s a pic of the control room from a few weeks ago:
My Elevation claim to fame is that I made a pedal and gave it to Jonathan Mix who runs all of their Sunday morning production in terms of stems/loops/ableton. He is a really awesome musician in his own right.

I’ve recruited, I’ve had people approach me.... it’s not easy in a small church.

kingrazor

I’ve recruited, I’ve had people approach me.... it’s not easy in a small church.
Tell me about it. We're running two campuses (less than 500 members total) with a total of 3 sound people. In the last 9 years we've added one person and lost two people.