P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. REDFIVE

REDFIVE Supporting Member

So, Strymon Volante details and some demos have been released. I'm interested, but any thoughts on how it would play out for PW boards?

I don't have all the features sorted, but it seems like it has the one favorite button. I'm disappointed it doesn't have some level of LCD screen and multiple editable presets. I do not have an El Cap (Been looking at one), but is the Volante a big upgrade for our uses over an El Cap? Could this be considered basically an El Cap V2.

Discuss. or tell me what I'm missing? lol

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  2. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Did anyone read the comments on the most recent Helix update? They posted something to the haters of the older tuner and if they complained about it before the update. Pretty funny:

3. Romanowe

Romanowe Supporting Member

[QUOTE="He_Ma, post: 27813067, member: 161031"

Im still living hospital life at other city though so all guitars will have to wait probably to the end of year. One can dream though! Now it seems that we will get our baby home in few months.[/QUOTE]

GREAT NEWS!!!!

4. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

It has 8 onboard presets, and you can have one of them tied to the Fave switch at a time (hold Favorite and press one of the 8 buttons to change the preset that's tied to the footswitch). It also has full midi if you wanted to hook up a simple midi controller like a DMC micro or something. It is kind of a bummer that you can't page up/down like you can on a Timeline.

If you haven't yet, watch the video tour. There are some really cool features under the hood (panning of heads is one of my favorites). I think we will definitely see them pop up on P/W boards a lot.

Gonash, boyce89976 and REDFIVE like this.
  5. cjm254

cjm254 Member

Yep. Looks interesting and could work well on my board and with the way we play. but, do i have to bend over and press a button to access a preset that isn't the fav? or add a midi controller and learn about midi (which is a foreign language to me...)?

6. REDFIVE

Thanks for fleshing out more of the details for me. I did listen to snippets of the video tour, but since I was at work missed a lot of the details it seems. Are those presets editable?? And any thoughts to it replacing a timeline?

7. travis_38

Yup! Each of those presets can be anything you want.

I think for me I'd want to hang on to the Timeline for the utility of the presets/banking but I could see this being a fun wildcard pedal people put on their boards for unique textural stuff.

boyce89976 likes this.
  8. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

The strymon 3 button switch is supposed to expand its capabilities, sounded like it adds preset scrolling among other things (guessing it will simply looper functions as well).

9. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I think it'd be pretty amazing for P&W when paired with a Selah Quartz, Disaster Area Microclock, and/or an external midi controller. Lots of very P&W tones in the demos, and cascading delays is a pretty standard part of our mojo. The spring also sounds really good to me for adding space and the feedback heads allows you to get some pretty Afterneath esq tones.

Playpunk, JokeSmuggler and REDFIVE like this.
  10. -Empire

-Empire Member

I never use the global eq because different amps and cabs need different eq tweaks to sound their best.

The duesenberg trem blows away Bigsby (and the JM trem IMO) in every way.

Congrats. I replaced all my expensive pedals (BigSky included) after getting a Helix 2 years ago. The algorithms on Helix were so good that it wasn’t worth it to keep them around.

However, have you considered using the Stomp to replace some of the dry pedals on your board instead? You can run the Stomp straight into your wet effects, then run straight out of your last reverb pedal into a DI to FOH. This lets you do things like crank up the drive on an amp model using a footswitch, so it can replace any “transparent” overdrives you may have, as well as give you a lot more flexibility and diversity in your dry tones, without having to spend $250 a pop on new overdrives to get new sounds. If you struggle with overdrive GAS this will help eliminate that.

If I were still into pedals that is definitely how I would set mine up.

The Stomp does send a fixed PC message when you switch presets, but there is no command center like on the full Helix units where you can send a bunch of PC+CC messages simultaneously with a footswitch, snapshot, or preset.[/QUOTE]

roxtc, kdm1218 and crambone like this.
  11. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

I'm still hoping for a Timeline 2 this week... with dual engines for every algorithm.

12. REDFIVE

I wish.

boyce89976 likes this.
  13. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I think the El Cap is more based on echoplex type delays whereas the Volante is based on an Echorec. So they won't sound the same, but the Volante might have more flexibility.

14. boyce89976

Okay, quick review:

I got the Ceriatone Centura last Saturday, and put it on the board immediately, and took it off almost as fast. Tried it in a bunch of different positions in my signal chain... 1st, last, in the middle... and at a bunch of different gain levels... none, a LOT, everywhere in between... and just couldn't get a handle on it. Was pretty disappointed, actually... even thought about just relisting it on Reverb and trying to break even.

I've had a few "Klon" type pedals (Klon KTR, both Archers, SickAs, etc...) and never really got along with any of them for long, but those were all "Klones" and this, by all accounts and reviews, is the closest thing to the real thing... so let's call it a "Clone". ;)

My expectations were high, and weren't getting met.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the original Klons, and felt pretty knowledgeable about them (I even know that Bill still makes a few every year for a friend of his that suffers from some kind of ailment and can't work... that's pretty cool). You'll see them pop up every now and then on the sale sites.

Seemed like people were using them every way you could think of. Long story short, I read everything I could find this week. A pattern emerged... put it always on, no gain, tone to taste (about noon is neutral in/out) and volume to taste... the old "clean boost setting". But this was the first time I'd seen any consistency about where to put it... last in your chain (or at least after your other drives). I thought I'd tried that combination last Saturday, but I must have missed it because once I hooked it back up and set it up as described the benefit was obvious.

I'm going to use some metaphors because I don't know any other way to describe the effect it has. With the Centura on, everything sounds better. If you've ever played a real tube amp, you know there is a point on the volume knob where the sound "fills out"... that's the sweet spot... below that point it's a little thin... this pedal is like instantly hitting the sweet spot of your amp, even with zero volume boost. The way I'm using it, it's tonally neutral so other drives going into it just sound like themselves plus that little bit of sweet spot mojo... it's hard to explain, but it's fuller and warmer without being darker, and softer/spongier without losing punch and definition. It adds a chewiness to the notes without losing the attack. This is the first time I've thought that I could actually just run only this pedal as a clean boost with some wet effects and call it a day. In fact, I may get another one to put on a small "go board" with a comp, tuner, delay and reverb.

Anyway, here's the updated board pics with a couple close ups of the settings. It's a bit of a tight fit (it's roughly the same size as the BigSky), but it's 100% inside the outer edges of the board.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ThinPaperWings, Pax, shawn w and 9 others like this.
  15. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Yea I wish nemesis did that....... oh yea it does :banana

16. boyce89976

Yeah, so does my Timefactor. The problem I had with the Nemesis was that it didn't like line level signals (like from the effects loop of my Matchless which I use when I have to run mono and want to run an amp) and would clip. The Timefactor has an external switch to choose line or guitar level, and the Strymons just have the headroom built into the input section.

kdm1218 and cjm254 like this.
  17. travis_38

I know exactly what you mean. With a Klon hitting your amp the bottom end opens up and everything just has more OOMPH. I *love* the sound of a Morning Glory with everything noonish and a Klon afterwards set flat but with a pretty big volume boost... Sounds stellar into pretty much every Kemper profile and every real amp I've ever tried it with.

If you ever want something in a smaller box I have been super happy with both the SickAs and Tumnus Deluxe. The TD is on my board cause its the perfect size for my board.

Gonash, Steely Glen and boyce89976 like this.
  18. cjm254

cjm254 Member

It was my understanding that the 3 button switch just gave you 3 favorite buttons, not scrolling through all 8 presets, but it is ambiguous. I am really digging the sounds in this pedal. Seriously considering it...

This would be hard for me to resist...

boyce89976 likes this.
  19. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

@boyce89976 did you make your own patch cables for your controller/loop strip?

20. boyce89976

My soldering is getting better, but no... I would never have the patience to do custom length cables unless it was my main job. XTS here in Nashville did all of my wiring.

I'm considering replacing all the pancakes with the newer flat square plugs. I figure I'd gain enough real estate to add at least one more normal sized pedal. :nuts

Gonash and crambone like this.