P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

EXACTLY! The MG into the Klon is SO GOOD! I need to do some PBC programming, and potentially need cables about 2" longer, but I want to put the Klon in the insert between loops 4 & 5 so it's always on (it's in loop 4 right now). This weekend, I'll be using it always on via an IA switch for loop 4.

8bitlooper likes this.
  2. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

@boyce89976 how do you feel about that Ola? I haven’t really decided on a chorus since letting the Moog go. I would love to have something with more control than just rate and depth. Honestly I would like to have everything that was on the Moog in something that isn’t 9x12 lol but can’t find that anywhere. My radar has pretty much been narrowed to Julia and Warped Vinyl...

boyce89976 likes this.
  3. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

How much of a boost is it giving at that setting? Like going back and forth with the clean tone, is it pushing the amps a bit into just a touch of breakup or is it basically neutral and just an eq thing?

4. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Did you have any issues with its buffer and your digital delays/verbs? That's a common complaint I hear.

5. boyce89976

I had to look up the Moog you're talking about. It has a little more control than the Ola, but the Ola has more control than most.

Out of the three that I have (Ola, Warped Vinyl HiFi, and the TC Electronic SCF) the Ola is currently getting the nod due to features and where I have it in my signal chain (stereo). It sounds good, has some cool features (like the envelope function on the vibrato that slows the speed of the vibrato as the signal dies... really nice for a "Leslie" type effect). The chorus is nice and lush, but not over-powering... almost too subtle... I'd actually like a little more. Two presets is nice (face settings + favorite)

The SCF sounds the best. It's also on the subtle end of the spectrum, but has Chorus, Vribrato and Flange. It's all analog (I think), and is basically flat from 20hz-20khz (it was designed for studio use) so it's very sweet sounding. But... it flips the phase on one output... so I can only use it if FOH is true stereo or use it in mono. It was also never designed to work with a looper, so I had to have XTS mod it so the inputs/outputs didn't pop when turning the loop on/off. Only one "preset" at a time.

The Warped Vinyl HiFi is mono only, but is the most feature-rich of the three. It's a little darker than the other two, but can be more subtle or more aggressive... huge range of depth and rate. It's the only one of the three with different waveforms like your Moog. Three presets available via a toggle switch on the face of the pedal, 128 presets available via midi. Overall, probably my favorite for mono chorus/vibrato.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    JokeSmuggler likes this.
  6. boyce89976

It's a very slight volume increase at those settings... somewhere between where my Morning Glory and 808 are volume wise, so maybe 1dB... it's not really pushing the amp/profile much at all.

yeatzee likes this.
  7. boyce89976

Haven't noticed any issues. But where I have it, the PBC has a buffer before it and after it (PBC has defeatable buffers at its input, between loops 6&7, and at the main outputs). I've always left those on. I could turn those off and check tonight.

8. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Glad you’ve got it sounding good! But I could not handle an OD the size of a Big Sky, personally. Seems like so much wasted space that could have fit two pedals ;)

boyce89976 likes this.
  9. boyce89976

Yeah, I thought about that Saturday when I wasn't happy with it...

...looks at Klon and says "not only are you underwhelming... why are you so FRIGGIN' BIG??!?!!"

That spot is only set up for one pedal (originally the DMM), so size doesn't really matter unless I ran a second loop, and power, up there. It's become kind of an unofficial musical chairs "audition" spot since it's right between drives and modulation.

kdm1218 likes this.
  10. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Agreed.

boyce89976 likes this.
  11. kdm1218

I also mean in general, not just your board. I've never seen a guts shot, but why so big when so many great drives fit in a standard sized enclosure? First world gear problems for sure!

boyce89976 likes this.
  12. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

Actually on the Moog I used the waveforms the least. The only ones I really used were triangle and sine, the others to me are too overt for general use. So I should clarify, I loved having a positive/negative feedback but would be mostly ok without (a little sad). I consider as essential the delay time, the lfo rate, lfo amount (depth), and mix, as long as the output is unity. Most choruses have a fixed delay time or not enough control over mix, since 100% wet is vibrato.

Thanks for your input!!! I haven’t heard of the TC one so I will look that up.

boyce89976 likes this.
  13. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

We may well have the largest band ever tomorrow night. Two WL’s on acoustics, 2 EG’s, piano, B3/Leslie, bass and drums.
    We’re gonna rock—around—the clock—tonight!
    Staring to feel like I should bring a lap steel, too....;)

14. boyce89976

Here's a gut shot... and I'm with you... not sure why it has to be so big... it's bigger than I thought it would be. It is a distinctive pedal visually, so that alone probably justifies the larger enclosure. I've seen some real Klons and this is the Centura uses the exact same enclosure, so I shouldn't have been surprised by the size, haha.

Here's a real one:
    [​IMG]

Here's a Centura (not mine):
    [​IMG]

Only differences appear to be the ribbon cable, and the pots on the original are attached directly to the board, where the Centura's are wired. Toggle switch on the original is quite a bit larger too. But there is a ton of space available inside the housing. o_O

kdm1218 likes this.
  15. kdm1218

I like it. I think we’ve had 11 at the most, all crammed in on a stage roughly the size of my living room. It’s cozy, but it sure is fun.

MoonshineMan likes this.
  16. cjm254

cjm254 Member

The large-sized band is a lot of fun. We regularly have 11. There are times when I am just feeling it - hands in the air singing... then I remember, wait, i have to play at this part.

17. Gonash

Gonash Member

How would you compare it to the golden archer, B? I have it and use it pretty much like you do yours, makes everything a bit thicker and better.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    boyce89976 likes this.
  18. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

I have a through hole Klone PCB for a 1590a (mini pedal) enclosure so saying there’s wasted space is an understatement.

kdm1218 and crambone like this.
  19. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Best part is, we always just get the chords and decide on the songs when we get there to practice before church. Haha. They’ll float a few chord sheets around, set up the monitor mix and run through the songs once. Most of us are just like “gimme the key” and we’re good. Nobody uses any synced pedals or whatever, there aren’t any “parts”. The drummer just follows the WL and follows the dynamics. The rest of us just follow that.
    Last week my wife played a song that she only wrote like 3hrs before church started.
    It’s a heap of fun.

playsarobin, cjm254 and kdm1218 like this.
  20. boyce89976

I had the silver one most recently, but I think they’re both very similar. There’s some mojo with this Centura that’s hard to put a finger on though.

Gonash likes this.