P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. papersun

papersun Member

always surprised how much hair is on the “here’s my dry/clean signal”

dickjonesify, Gibs210 and boyce89976 like this.
  2. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

Here’s a great little video about clean tones...I always enjoy rewatching when this topic comes up. Loud cleans will also still have speaker distortion, and if nothing else, cleans without a compressor are just not fun on the ears. You can play dead clean...but would you want to...???

dickjonesify and boyce89976 like this.
  3. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, great video. I’m not saying clean tones aren’t useful, just that slightly dirty cleans are way more interesting. Seems Tim agrees.

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  4. boyce89976

Great board!

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  5. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

When the song calls for it, like in the videos I posted. I do use a compressor on my cleans though.

Can’t believe that 1450 people paid to be tortured by our “shyte” clean tones in Atlanta last night. Packed house in Nashville tonight getting ready for 1.5 hours of pain!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    crambone and JokeSmuggler like this.
  6. boyce89976

And you didn't call me? Weird... :facepalm lol

JokeSmuggler and Gibs210 like this.
  7. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Maybe I’m missing something but when did anyone say your band sounds like shyte clean? :huh I think we’re taking people’s opinions on tone a little too personal

kdm1218, dickjonesify and shawnshack like this.
  8. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Ive never heard anyone tell a worship band they sounded like shyte for anything.
    I’ve had a few rough nights that my friends kinda laughed at, for one reason or another.
    I told this one kid that he needed to adjust a few things with his tone and playing. He had zero treble and his bends were all coming up well short of what was needed. I wasn’t like “you sound like sh¡t, dude”. I just kinda mentioned it, geezer to young’n. His dad told me later that I had basically punched him in his soul balls.
    We have kinda of a weird history with them, that was pretty much capped off with an event where they both played terribly and my wife was like “never again”.
    Nice people, a little socially awkward, and while they have chops, we just don’t play music well together.
    All this to say, people can certainly get too worked up over their toanz.

Playpunk and JokeSmuggler like this.
  9. 59refin

59refin Member

Hey Travis. Thanks a bunch, that worked. I guess I was just looking for a more difficult answer than that. I just set the tap division to dotted and didn't touch the other parameters (adjusted the repeats and level a bit though.) Can't wait to try it out in the service tomorrow.

10. boyce89976

For the record, I never said anyone sounded like shite. I just stated my opinion that completely clean electric guitars sound like shite. For context I was referring to live tones in our genre (although that wasn’t explicitly stated, I thought that was understood since we’re on the P&W forum).

I just don’t like it unless there’s a little hair. That little bit of hair adds harmonics which add character and make it way more interesting to me. It’s what you get with any tube amp that’s cranked up to its sweet spot. Some people like their clean tones... just not my cup of tea. Wasn’t said to start an argument, but sometimes you can’t stop that from happening. :dunno

Not sure why I’m quoting your post, haha. Just wanted to set the record straight.

dickjonesify and Gibs210 like this.
  11. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Totally. Crystal cleans can be nice in isolation but in a band i'm not into it for the style of stuff I like to play. It often comes across plinky to me. I personally shoot for some hair on individually picked notes as my reference point.

To that point, how about we share our clean tones? I just recorded this real quick with my weekend's rig. LPjr w/ bridge P90 up full into Matchless Spitfire. Start playing relatively lightly, go up to normal playing, than a bit more. Then finger picking vs hard strums.

I prefer it this way for a number of reasons, including I like the ability to use the raw amp tone on it's own for parts without feeling like I need an OD to get it where I'm happy in a band situation. I also like how effects bloom into the front and how it gets a little out of control. YMMV.

Also note I'm clearly not a "use a darker tone live" guy either. This tone cuts

12. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Some more dope completely clean tones:

I don’t know where strangers on the internet live, I definitely don’t have their numbers, and I posted the full tour here and on FB... people have been hitting me up all tour and almost every show I’ve added people to the guest list.

The Worship Guitarist likes this.
  13. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I think “crystal cleans” can sound really cool, in the right settings. I never truly have them, because tubes aren’t technically “crystal clean” at ANY setting, due to the asymmetrical voltage swing, but what we hear as “clean” sounds good to me.
    I’ve lead and played many times plugged into the Low input of my 2204, which has a fantastic clean sound. It’s really spanky and immediate, and hits all the right frequencies. It’s got that “amp in your face” sound that comes from wattage, iron and lots of paper. Dickey Betts has a great sound, and he’s “the clean one”.
    It all depends how you do it. If you’re mic’d or running through the board, then other forces come into play, and I can’t speak to that.

ThinPaperWings and Gibs210 like this.
  14. boyce89976

:horse
    Why am I starting to feel like the guy in Princess Bride.... Inconceivable.

Hey man, don’t beat yourself up about it. I was putting down mulch anyway. I’m sure in a town like Nashville your doing two or three more sold out shows... how about tomorrow night? :wave

Kluch and Gibs210 like this.
  15. Steely Glen

Steely Glen Supporting Member

Bill, your comment made me laugh out loud. Have you seen this commercial? Too funny!

crambone and boyce89976 like this.
  16. boyce89976

Hahaha! Those commercials are too funny.

17. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

Ouch! Now that really hurts. And here I thought we were building a digital friendship together. :console

cjm254, littleNUKE393, xcc and 4 others like this.
  18. dmutter

dmutter Member

This has all been very silly. I have a 2 and 4 yr old who give me enough pointless arguments, I don't need to come on here to get more.

Clean guitars can sound cool. Guitars with some gain/hair can also sound cool. There is no point in arguing this. Guitar is just plain cool and has so many ways of sounding cool, hence why we all spend so much time on it.
    There are some really skilled players on here who are a huge blessing to many who have varying opinions...maybe we can just agree that there are different point of views.

19. Beydski

Beydski Member

Hear hear!

Can we go back to bashing acoustic guitars? :D

Actually, speaking of clean guitars, has anyone listened to the new Cory Wong record? Some great funk/R&B guitar on it. Doesn’t have anything to do with P&W but I’m really enjoying it.

20. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Happy mother’s day everyone :D

kdm1218, JokeSmuggler, Kluch and 2 others like this.