P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Can I come play at your church? ;)

ThinPaperWings and justinbunte like this.
  2. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

If he can’t make rehearsal for sure and you have a new song at all, then he doesn’t need to be there Sunday morning either.

cjm254, crambone, lemonman and 4 others like this.
  3. boyce89976

Agree with @kdm1218... since the backup is the guy that you've had so many problems with, not only would he have to commit to rehearsal too, but also would need to take some direction on how to be consistent. That may be a whole other conversation though.

dickjonesify, kdm1218 and Kylote like this.
  4. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Not only can you come play at my church but I will make sure your guitar is cranked. Since we don’t have an amp room that DC30 would probably do the trick ;)

5. boyce89976

I would totally do that! Trick would be getting the DC30 there! Haha! I guess I could drive up... ;)

6. Romanowe

Romanowe Supporting Member

Great stuff! Agree 100% with @boyce89976 ! I'll add that as a weekend player, its easiest for me to ad lib with a song when I've fully prepared and practiced it throughout the week

justinbunte and boyce89976 like this.
  7. roxtc

roxtc Member

If it's not a musician you trust to come prepared and have the skill/experience to come play on a Sunday without a rehearsal first then you're probably better off without them if they cannot make practice. It's not a privilege that should be extended to everyone.

Our church basically has one drummer now, (technically 2, but the other is a worship leader that we don't want to burn out) but we have 4 teams so we've had a lot of weeks without a drummer and it's fine. Lately members of my team have taken turns to bang on a cajon and it's helped out and probably kind of fun for them to do something new for a week.

justinbunte and Kylote like this.
  8. boyce89976

Yeah, totally. I think there are very few people that can come into a song cold and spontaneously create something interesting and lasting... I'm certainly not one of those people. Even TJ, in talking to him about how he creates parts, it's not always the first take that makes it.

I need some time with the songs. For me I approach a new song like this:
    1. Structure/chords
    2. Important parts/hooks
    3. Important parts/hooks nuance (things like the choked note & vibrato in the Lion & the Lamb hook)
    4. Then the more nuanced stuff (some of this is done at home, some during full band rehearsal, and some can change over the course of the 2-3 weeks we do the song depending on the band makeup/players/WL/etc...):
      • What are the dynamic movements? Where should we be soft/HUGE and what's my part?
      • What's the most intense part of the song and how do I add to that intensity?
      • Where do I need to fill space, or let it breath?
      • What is the other EG doing? And is there something I can play off of?
      • Where can I play off the Keys, or double the Keys if appropriate?
      • Are there places where I need to match the rhythm of a drum riff, or accent?
    I'm simply not good enough to think through all of that and have good stuff come out of my fingers on the spot.

I will say though, sometimes things just click and magic happens. Like your brain shifts to another gear when you're under pressure to perform (like waiting until 3 days before a thesis is due to start on it). But that's rare for me. haha! It's happened once or twice that I can remember with a new-ish song... once was "Beneath the Waters" and the other was "Living Hope".

9. justinbunte

justinbunte Member

Open invitation anytime you’re in/near the Houston area :aok

boyce89976 likes this.
  10. boyce89976

I just started consulting for a little company in Stafford, so that could actually happen! :dude

justinbunte likes this.
  11. mattpker

mattpker Member

[​IMG]

Finished my HX Stomp board. Keeping the full Helix for now, we will see how this goes.

Signal Chain:

• Xotic SP Compressor

• Archer (Klon type drive)

• Pure Sky (Timmy clone, this is temporary, I have been on the waiting list for the King of Tone since March 2017, so my name should be called soon.)

• Xotic EP Booster

• HX Stomp (the VP Jr plugs into the EXP port, and is used as a volume pedal after the drives)

• Strymon El Capistan

• Strymon BigSky
    Nothing in the FX loop of the HX Stomp, I could not get the cables I have to fit, need flater/smaller cables. So I currently have it setup like a very traditional pedalboard. The idea is the HX Stomp will be my modulation swiss army knife, while using real drives, el cap for primary delays, and BigSky for all my verbs.

12. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

@mattpker is the SP Comp always-on? That's how I ran mine when I used an analog board, first in chain and always-on.

P.S. is your handle a nod to being a Pastor's Kid? That's the impression I got from it. I can normally smell my own kind, hehe.

13. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Why not just use a track?

:stir:stir:stir:stir:stir

14. Kylote

Kylote Member

[​IMG]

gibs5000, dmutter, lemonman and 10 others like this.
  15. mattpker

mattpker Member

Yes, always on. And no, my handle is a gaming thing lol.

crambone likes this.
  16. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I dunno, from what you have previously described from this drummer, it may be a lot more like “the hills are alive with the sound of music.”

(No matter how much I’ve tried, I can’t get GIFs/memes to load here from google images... would have been a cooler reference with Julie Andrews face)

Kylote likes this.
  17. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

This next post is not meant to hurt anyones feelings or cause many pages of debate.

I don't understand Xotic pedals. I've tried many RC, AC, BB, EP, SP and never digged what I heard when compared other drive/comp pedals. RC Booster is the only one I've owned and the rest I've tried at the store and I usually walked away with something else. It's not that they sound bad, but something in each of those pedals made me not to buy them. Drive pedals were also bit noisier than my mad professor drives that I bought at the time and Keeley comp worked better for me and was also less noisy.

People here and everywhere get great tones with those pedals though..

Does Someone else share my opinion or have similiar feelings about some other popular manufacturer pedals?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    kdm1218, dickjonesify and boyce89976 like this.
  18. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I’m with you. Didn’t like how the EP booster affected my tone like at all.. it felt really plasticky almost. BB I just think I don’t like Bluesbreakers at all. SP comp was too squashy for me no matter what I did (but I didn’t get inside it to mess with the dip switch because guitar center). AC and RC boosters were just kind of meh to me, not bad but not great.

dickjonesify and boyce89976 like this.
  19. boyce89976

I never had much luck with them either. Their comp always seemed to add some low end, no matter where the dip switches were set. I had a BB+ (actually still do... need to sell it) that I liked, but didn't love. It was a little noisier than my Wampler Dual-whatever, so I used the Wampler. I also have an RC boost, which can be great with a Vox flavored amp, but I don't ever use it. It's one I'll hang onto though.

20. Kylote

Kylote Member

Even those in favor of tracks seemed not happy with drum tracks with no drummer on stage :D