P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

The BB Preamp is not a Bluesbreaker. So don't let that put you off Bluesbreakers, which are fantastic pedals - Snouse Blackbox, JHS Morning Glory, Analogman KOT / POT, Mooer Blues Crab are all in that vein and are great in their own ways.

2. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Dude, that would be awesome! You're not too far away either. Same goes for you... if you're down here over a weekend, let me know and I'll get you on the plan!

3. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

I thought it was based off a bluesbreaker? I’ve had a MG and a buddy had a POT... I returned the MG within a week after a couple live settings and at home, and neither of us were impressed by the POT to be honest despite legend status with those.

4. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

:rimshot

5. dmutter

dmutter Member

Glad I can provide some perspective. I think mine is fairly balanced as I play in my local church, have been on staff at churches, play out for events/retreats/conferences, and my wife and I worship lead. That is to say I am well aware of what most parties experience as they prepare for worship (still lots of learning and growing to do though!)

When my wife and I are leading for retreats/conferences/worship nights we typically pick a couple of extra songs to help give us flexibility respond in the moment. Being able to be flexible is good. But we only pick a couple extra, not lile 5-10 like myself and others I'm sure have experienced. As leaders it takes some effort to think it through and plan, but it's not that hard.

Mathematically speaking you can break down a weekend retreat, for example, quite easily:
    -4 sessions X 5 songs each = 20 spaces on the set list

-2-3 songs will get done 3 times each (6-9 spaces filled)

-3-5 songs will get done 2 times (6-10 more spaces filled)

That means at minimum 5 songs will take 12 spots, but in all likelihood we are taliking 15/16 spots, leaving a need for only 4-5 more songs.

As you can see (and probably already know) 10 songs will usually be fine, but we would typically plan 12 to have some flexibility. If Saturday night goes nuts and we have to have a worship party we have a couple extras but can also pull from other songs used that weekend.

I can confidently plan 12 great songs and set my team up for a win without wasting their time and still leaving us space to adapt over the weekend. We may toss around more song ideas but we flesh it out at home and make a decision before sending out the list of songs. It is very seldom that I need to make any changes after this point. If I do I minimize the impact on my team as best as possible, and they are skilled enough they can roll with iteven if I wasnt so organized.

I realize my experience may be different than others, but this is how I plan and execute the majority of the sets/events I am part of. Not everybody else will plan the same way I do, and thats ok. I just like when they at least try to be considerate of the workload they share.

6. dmutter

dmutter Member

I smell a home-and-home!

kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  7. Romanowe

Romanowe Supporting Member

8. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

It apparently stands for Big British. It's somewhat of a blend between a TS and a Marshall Amp In A Box (note - even though the Bluesbreaker was initially a Marshall pedal and named after a Marshall amp, it's not a Marshall Amp in a box pedal; it's its own animal). The BB is probably a little closer to an OCD with a bit more mids.

I personally love Bluesbreaker-style pedals, but different strokes for different folks! I personally don't really like Tubescreamers (shock, horror).

kingrazor likes this.
  9. btjguitarman

I don’t either. Big fat meh on those. I don’t know what i like besides what I like I guess?

flatulentmatt likes this.
  10. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I like Tubescreamers, but only as a boost into another overdrive or into a cooking amp. I don't like them as a standalone OD.

I didn't love the MG in my rig, but I think it sounds great in one of our player's rigs.

11. boyce89976

I think we are going to be doing 6-8 songs each night for 4 nights.

I'm not too worried about learning the songs I don't know. The biggest challenge is keeping them all straight, remembering the intro's to the less familiar ones, haha. I once learned 47 80's rock songs in two weeks, but that was brutal and something I never want to do again.

littleNUKE393, dmutter and jmckeown88 like this.
  12. btjguitarman

I appreciate the concept of a tube screamer as a boost into something else but there’s something about the compression that makes everything feel soft to me. That being said, other TS style pedals work better for me.

And I’m with you on the MG. Other people make it sound great. It was wicked thin and trebly in my hands.

13. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Haha... I don't get it

14. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

I believe a steak cook off is still in order.

We need to make a me in Nashville or you in Lexington meet up happen.

I’d even invite @dickjonesify if he’d just build me a carved top already

15. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

dmutter and dickjonesify like this.
  16. boyce89976

I'm so in! I think things will slow down a bit in August. I'll come to you first. Let's make it happen!

jmckeown88 likes this.
  17. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

jmckeown88 and boyce89976 like this.
  18. boyce89976

How do you get on the roster for something like that?

19. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

thebeebs likes this.