P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Only ever liked the RC but not enough to own one. A lot of people swear by the EP but I much preferred my JHS Prestige.

Almost literally hated the BB and AC hahaha. For my rig anyway. YMMV

boyce89976 likes this.
  2. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Wifi was out for a few days, but here goes.....

Music stands=lol..... Not even a blip on my radar, as an “issue”. I use them for my slide and coffee pot & cup. I’m not reaching back and pouring a fresh one from a pot sitting on my amp. Ain’t nobody got time for that. You guys already know how our church rolls, so....you know....;)

Deadbeat drummers.... DO NOT BRING A SH!TTY DRUMMER ON THE STAGE. If you’re left no choice but to invite him, kill him when he gets to the parking lot, hide the body and play dumb. Make up a story and stick to it like glue. There are zero things in the known parts of the galaxy that eff up a set like bad drums. Ask me how I know. Somewhat related.... destroy all djembes.

Stereo mix.... N/A :)

Multiple singers: We have at most 4 active vocal mics: 1 for the WL, 2 for proper bgv girls, and another one for me, as i can phase in and out of the harmony mood. I avoid singing when i can, but I can’t always stop it. Usually, there’s 3, though, with just one girl singing harmonies. If we had 3+ girls singing harmonies, they’d better know what they’re doing, and I think everything would be better served to treat them as a choir, and give them one mic to sing around. FWIW, i think it’s visually beautiful, and it allows them to kinda manage their own levels, as we have wedges and they’d just have to share. But that only works with girls that have either sung together before or know how to do it, usually having some choir experience. You can make a MASSIVE and very organic sound with 3 singers into one mic.

Xotic pedals... I’ve never had one, but am still considering the compressor for a separate lap steel/2nd guitar pedalboard that I can either use for steel or my wife can use when she busts out the Heritage. I’m not experienced enough with compressors or picky enough about toanz to really sweat minutia. If it’s a compressor that compresses, it’ll work for me. Every demo I listened to of the EP (which was the only one I was ever really considering) kinda sounded too warm, and I’m not into warm. I prefer a managed incisive tone that I can control with the pick or Tone control. But that’s what works for us and our sound. I don’t use any TS-type boost either. I just don’t like those crazy mids. The FD2 in CompCut gives me the boost I like. There’s a little mid bump, but the sizzle is what I like about it. I had Scott at BMF make me a miniature clone, and he dialed out a tiny bit of mids to open it up a little more.

Anyway, we’re in Yokohama, it’s 6am, and I’m ready for another pot of coffee. I’m listening to LotR on audiobook. Maybe I’ll smoke a pipe, too.... :D

3. mattpker

mattpker Member

Maybe it's cause your trying them at GC and not with your home pedalboard, amp, guitar? When I use the SP or EP I notice an immediate improvement in tone. With the SP I have it set to low compression. The EP I use at the lowest boost level (I think that's 3db) and use it to either fatten up notes when I am finger picking or use it after the drive for a lead solo. The EP adds so much "fatness/thickness" to the tone, I have no idea what @btjguitarman means when he says it sounds plasticky. I have all the internal dip switches set to default.

Idk, maybe guitar / signal chain / amp makes a difference?

Spec likes this.
  4. Romanowe

Romanowe Supporting Member

If subscription to this thread was mandatory for P&W team members we would be better for it.

Great stuff as always.

littleNUKE393 and boyce89976 like this.
  5. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Makes me feel better about being “mean” to my terrible drummers when i tell them they need to “know how the song goes” and “practice.”

But if you feel the need to go further remember the magic words: “I want my lawyer!”

Don’t say anything else.

6. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I actually brought my amp and guitar to GC to try out the EP and SP because there really isn’t anything they carry that sounds all that close to my amp. The EP added like this really hi fi crispness to my sound that I didn’t find at all pleasant. It’s tough to explain but it wasn’t something I was happy with.

7. cjm254

cjm254 Member

I owned an AC for about 5 hours once...

dickjonesify likes this.
  8. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I know that I, for one, have learned that there are many ways to skin this cat.

9. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I've managed to sell off everything I had listed. Next thing will be to determine whether I prefer my RV-500 or my Neunaber and sell off the one I like less. Sometime soon I'll buy my first Nemesis.

10. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

I just put a bunch of pedals in the emporium. All pedals I wish I could keep, but they deserve better homes (and more use) than I can give them right now. :(

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  11. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

I loved the BB preamp and have thought about picking up another a bunch of times. Timmy > BB Preamp > Fulltone Fat Boost was my drive section for years. Sounded heavenly with teles and strats.

yeatzee likes this.
  12. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

You can come play at mine!

13. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

The BB Preamp is not a Bluesbreaker. So don't let that put you off Bluesbreakers, which are fantastic pedals - Snouse Blackbox, JHS Morning Glory, Analogman KOT / POT, Mooer Blues Crab are all in that vein and are great in their own ways.

14. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Dude, that would be awesome! You're not too far away either. Same goes for you... if you're down here over a weekend, let me know and I'll get you on the plan!

15. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I thought it was based off a bluesbreaker? I’ve had a MG and a buddy had a POT... I returned the MG within a week after a couple live settings and at home, and neither of us were impressed by the POT to be honest despite legend status with those.

16. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

:rimshot

17. dmutter

dmutter Member

Glad I can provide some perspective. I think mine is fairly balanced as I play in my local church, have been on staff at churches, play out for events/retreats/conferences, and my wife and I worship lead. That is to say I am well aware of what most parties experience as they prepare for worship (still lots of learning and growing to do though!)

When my wife and I are leading for retreats/conferences/worship nights we typically pick a couple of extra songs to help give us flexibility respond in the moment. Being able to be flexible is good. But we only pick a couple extra, not lile 5-10 like myself and others I'm sure have experienced. As leaders it takes some effort to think it through and plan, but it's not that hard.

Mathematically speaking you can break down a weekend retreat, for example, quite easily:
    -4 sessions X 5 songs each = 20 spaces on the set list

-2-3 songs will get done 3 times each (6-9 spaces filled)

-3-5 songs will get done 2 times (6-10 more spaces filled)

That means at minimum 5 songs will take 12 spots, but in all likelihood we are taliking 15/16 spots, leaving a need for only 4-5 more songs.

As you can see (and probably already know) 10 songs will usually be fine, but we would typically plan 12 to have some flexibility. If Saturday night goes nuts and we have to have a worship party we have a couple extras but can also pull from other songs used that weekend.

I can confidently plan 12 great songs and set my team up for a win without wasting their time and still leaving us space to adapt over the weekend. We may toss around more song ideas but we flesh it out at home and make a decision before sending out the list of songs. It is very seldom that I need to make any changes after this point. If I do I minimize the impact on my team as best as possible, and they are skilled enough they can roll with iteven if I wasnt so organized.

I realize my experience may be different than others, but this is how I plan and execute the majority of the sets/events I am part of. Not everybody else will plan the same way I do, and thats ok. I just like when they at least try to be considerate of the workload they share.

18. dmutter

dmutter Member

I smell a home-and-home!

kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  19. Romanowe

Romanowe Supporting Member