P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Cheap and reliable... you're not describing a VP Jr. Hahaha!

+1 for the Dunlop. Built like a tank and only $119.

dmutter and kdm1218 like this.
  2. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Or put in prymaxe’s latest 25% coupon and you’re around $90. No strings to deal with.

Anthony Gring, dmutter and boyce89976 like this.
  3. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

I knew their had to be a reason Rhett Shull was in love with his Novo. I knew they were good didn't realize they were this good tho!

boyce89976 likes this.
  4. Kylote

Kylote Member

I don’t know where these mythical neighborhoods are that are early in a delivery drivers’ route, but everywhere I’ve lived has always been at the end of their routes.

As far as VP Jr... I used one for 10 years and only had to change the string once. It was incredibly annoying to do but otherwise was very reliable for me. Used up until I bought the Helix. I had the passive one but then ended up adding a buffer... which I eventually didn’t really need since I ended up putting it between a buffered Mythical Overdrive (klone) and a buffered DD-500 (believe buffer is switchable but needed to be on for trails).

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  5. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Sounds like a good NGD! 3/64’s at the 21st fret is as low as I can go, but that’s with stiffer strings (NYXL 11-49’s).

With all the time I’ve spent on my latest parts guitar, I’m pretty sure a Novo would be cheaper than a partscaster, If i value my time at all (spoiler alert, I do!)

boyce89976 likes this.
  6. boyce89976

Got through rehearsal, run through and the top of the first service. I’ve never used P90’s... WOW! They are pretty hot. The neck pickup is a tad dark, and there’s more midrange than I’m used to (in my ears) on both pickups. It definitely has a vintage vibe to the tone. FOH EQ is flat though, and it sounds great out front. Plays like a dream and just feels like I’ve had it for years.

Stream guy seems like he’s on top of it this morning too.

7. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

I played with Lambertone Crema’s this morning...... so we are new pickup buddies today!

Looking forward to your stream. Our drummer was playing different songs than the rest of us today. I have to fix our drummer situation but it is beyond my pay grade.

kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  8. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Glad you guys hit me up, thanks for coming!

Just landed in NYC, playing Good Morning America tomorrow, full band, 4 Helix units!

I wanted a small but powerful no-compromises rig to use at home since my Helix units are always on the road with me or in storage in LA between tours and fly dates, so last week I finished building this rig when I had a couple days off at home.

The Wampler is an excellent Ross-based comp with a ton of flexibility, and the MXR is a klone. Got em both for under $200 on reverb.

Building this rig definitely reminded me why I switched to Helix in the first place. I really don’t like wiring up my board, trying to figure out how to fit everything on there, making sure all the footswitches are out of the way of the knobs, etc.

Using just the Stomp and GLXD on a nano was pretty limiting, but with the comp and Klon freeing up a couple blocks, and using the GLXD as a tuner (freeing up footswitch 3 for a stomp or snapshot instead of tap/tuner) I definitely could get by with just this for any gig.

It’s sort of limited if you want to stack a bunch of wet effects for the ambient thing, but I rarely have to do that since keys or tracks are better suited for that type of thing anyway, but it can still get pretty huge with a couple delays (like the Space Echo model) and using a footswitch to toggle the Glitz reverb mix up and down. Obviously you could just run an external delay and/or reverb in the loop if you wanted to have a lot more options.

For now this rig is staying home for local stuff and church stuff since I’m still using full Helix on the road, but our bass player and I are considering switching to Stomps to cut back on the number of Pelicans we have to check when we fly (which is like every week at this point). I’ll use this rig live for the first time at Central Church in Vegas the last weekend in July, which is the first weekend I will have been home since April!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Chance, playsarobin, crambone and 6 others like this.
  9. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

My Fano has 4/64" at last fret as factory setting. I haven't tried going lower because it's still doable and my other guitars have pro setup by a guy who really prefers low action. I have kept it like 3 years like cause I dreamed about learning slide (which I have been a bit in recent months) and wanted to have one guitar with "higher action".

At least Fanos have specsheet where they have their ideal setup heigths for pickups and strings. In my GF6 the bridge P90 is really close to the strings and without being it that way when I got it, I would never had moved it so close to the strings.. If you have that same spec sheet in your Novo I'd start with that. My Fano has Fralin P90s and neck pickup is adviced at 5/64" and bridge pickup 4/64".

boyce89976 likes this.
  10. boyce89976

Awesome! I don’t have the spec sheet unfortunately, but I’m going down to their shop tomorrow afternoon just to have them check everything out and to get the spec sheet/build sheet. I’m pretty close to your spec sheet for pickup height.

Also want to see if they have a set of replacement tuners I can buy. I’ve worked these until they’re usable but they’re still not great. If they do, I’m going to soak these for a few days I’m solvent and clean them up really good and repack them with new grease... probably hang onto them as spares.

11. AlexGallant

AlexGallant Member

First proper pedalboard, all because of being in a P&W band that usually plays at fundraisers and other concert events. It's not the cleanest rig, but it works really well for me! Fuzz face is on the floor because it only has use in one song at the moment and I usually don't bother bringing it around if we don't play it.
    [​IMG]

12. kdm1218

Welcome!

AlexGallant likes this.
  13. Kluch

Kluch Member

I have used the same 25k EB vp jr for the past 8 years without fail (which is the one I'd recommend to you since you'd be using a buffer before it, that's how I run mine). That said I would probably buy one of these instead...

https://reverb.com/item/4390294-moyo-mini-volume-pedal

14. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

Pretty good morning, some minor hiccups but that's any Sunday.

Lion and the Lamb
    God is Able
    Shout to the Lord/What a Beautiful Name
    Yours(glory and praise
    Great is thy faithfulness

Played the Les Paul with one of TJs new 62 Prince-tone profiles. Absolutely fantastic and some of the best tone I have ever had.
    Believe I have a minor wiring issue with my input jack on my LP
    Random humming that is solved by tapping/wiggling the cable so assuming wire is touching on occasion.
    Also wireless died halfway through the second service. Glad I keep a 1/4 in cable next to my board for emergencies

15. boyce89976

I'm on the right side. This is the first service from this morning.

We did Lion and the Lamb much better in the 2nd service, but I completely FORGOT WHAT WE WERE PLAYING FOR THE 3RD SONG in the 2nd service... I mean a COMPLETE BLANK. Haha! I figured it out 1 beat before I start the song... that was SCARY! Haha!

So you get the 1st service, haha. The 3rd song was "To Be Like You" which was added late last night, none of us knew until we got there this morning.

Lion and the Lamb
    Man of Sorrows
    To Be Like You

- Message -

How Deep the Father's Love (Communion) - This is just acoustic, lead vocal and me playing pads.

I think these Throbak's are a little on the dark side, but I'm not sure since I've never had a P90 guitar. My closest experience would be the neck pickup in the Duesy I had, but It's not really a P90. I'm going to ask Novo about them tomorrow, and see if maybe they have a recommendation to get a little less output from the neck, and a little more scooped midrange. Other than that, I thought the Novo did great. It must have sounded great out front, b/c I got several compliments after both services... a couple of those were student players, and one guy that plays, but not at church.

16. kdm1218

Really nice Bill!

boyce89976 likes this.
  17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Third Sunday in a row playing, pretty tired. Today was the first day since school let out for summer that we had to tear-down (we meet at a high school so when no kids are there we can leave stuff up). The last 8 weeks made me lazy and forget how to load the truck!

I am not scheduled for any future dates, and I am on vacation and out of town for work 2 weekends in August so it may end-up being a long break.

boyce89976 likes this.
  18. mandomatt

mandomatt Member

Same bro... we usually do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off which is a decent balance.

Big picture question...

Personally, how does your "worship experience" change when you are playing vs. not playing (i.e. present in the congregation)?

littleNUKE393 likes this.
  19. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Sweet dude, really enjoyed everyone getting into it. Love the energy from the other electric and bass player (sick reverend bass!) too. We need to see some pictures of the guitar in the sun! As for the p90's how's the middle position? It should be really bright and jangly in the middle, a good bridge p90 imo will have some growl and nice amount of mids. Neck p90 I only have one guitar with one and it's a hollow body so idk how much it'll translate to a solid body but mine's definitely not super dark it's got a nice clarity to it. Might just need some lower output ones or just setup the rig a bit different to compliment the guitars unique voice vs your other stuff.

As for me I played for the first time in a month, got asked by the group after 2nd to join in for Sunday night service. We did 9 songs, several I've never played before and we only ran through a couple before service. It was a fantastic test for my Helix patch as a do it all straight pedal board setup with no snapshots and I came away wanting to tweak nothing... Which for me is crazy. Really happy with it, even after using the Kemper for so long. Tons of fun, sound guy mixed everything real low so that's still a thing but it was nice to get up there and worship with my friends. REALLY enjoyed the ambient verb I've got setup especially, super lush and perfect with the JM's jangly nature.

I also got invited to do some tracking for some really neat indie style worship songs a buddy is writing and I again just brought the Helix and ran it without a complaint. So nice to just show up and plug in 2 xlrs and you're golden, great tone ready to track. Love technology!

Edit: unrelated note, @Steely Glen what didn't you like about that stunning R6?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    boyce89976 likes this.
  20. dmutter

dmutter Member

Great question that would be a good discussion in a different setting. Unfortunately most of our answers would break forum rules and we have been warned a bunch lately. Let's not push our luck.
    Maybe it would be a good question at a get together with your worship team to get some discussion going?