• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Kylote

A second JBL will probably be the beat bang for your buck.
Yea, I need to find where I'd put it. Don't want to block the window but there isn't enough space on the desk for 2 speakers and a laptop.

I also realized that maybe I had the JBL set incorrectly, so perhaps it will sound better now. I had the input sensitivity set to -10dBu because I thought it may help protect the speaker and cut 10dB's from the signal but from what I reading, I should be using the +4dBu setting :dunno I see input and -10dB I thought it was just basically a pad but seems like slightly more complicated than that.

Last edited:

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
Random question, but does anyone make a decently priced powered stereo cab/speaker? Obviously the audio spread wouldn't be great, but I am thinking one cabinet, 2 speakers and each speaker can be fed its own signal. I am space and money conscious, so 2 separate FRFR's gets expensive and takes up way more space that I'd want. I doubt anyone does this cheaply. I know the typical FRFR is a large speaker and then a horn, which is probably not conducive to what I am looking for... any ideas?

I'd just basically like to have one enclosure that allowed me to run stereo but be relatively FRFR.
My main thoughts are that I don't have a lot of space and that I'm not completely content with how it sounds through my JBL LSR305. I essentially always practice with headphones because practicing through the JBL isn't terribly inspiring. Here is a pic that pretty much shows my music space...

Just to the right is my closet/the wall (that is what the acoustic case is leaning against). I store some stuff in my closet, but it is on an external wall so is insulated but not climate controlled (which is why I try to keep guitars and amps out of the closet, so it is mostly things like cables and mic stands). We're a family of 5 in a 3 bedroom place, so I get a corner of the bedroom. Our living room/common living space is pretty much occupied by toys.
Is this just for home practice or live use? For home practice I would get either a second LSR305 or preferably a better pair of monitors. You can snag a used pair of Yamaha HS7s for $500ish. Also that monitor placement is not ideal. At the very least the monitors need to be pointing at your ears and not perpendicular to the wall. You've got a couple hundred bucks in that behringer interface and fender amp, which will get you a much bigger desk on craigslist or offerup, which will allow you to improve the monitor placement.

For live use I would not bother monitoring stereo with a speaker. Just set the Helix's main volume knob to control your 1/4" outputs, send stereo to FOH with the XLR outputs, and plug the left 1/4" output into a monitor. Helix sums to mono automatically per output. This gives you independent control of your monitor level without affecting what you're sending to FOH.

JokeSmuggler

Silver Supporting Member
Went over to the Novo Guitars showroom today and met Devon! Great guy, and great showroom. I'm not sure Dennis was there... if he was he was hiding. ;)

Got to play a Serus T and Serus S through their Benson Monarch (WOW!), and both sounded like the best versions of each F-style configuration they are based on.

I also got to go back into the manufacturing area. Novo builds all of their bodies and necks from raw wood... I watched for about 15 mins and every guy at every station was really attentive to the details. I watched the neck guy hand sand an area about 2 inches long on the headstock for probably 10 mins. Very meticulous. I'm already thinking about my next Novo!

Pics next time! If you're on the fence for a Novo, don't be... Their tools are state of the art, their team cares about the details, and the manufacturing area was as clean as an F1 garage (in other words, spotless).
I meant to ask, what did you think about that Monarch?

kingrazor

Yea, I need to find where I'd put it. Don't want to block the window but there isn't enough space on the desk for 2 speakers and a laptop.

I also realized that maybe I had the JBL set incorrectly, so perhaps it will sound better now. I had the input sensitivity set to -10dBu because I thought it may help protect the speaker and cut 10dB's from the signal but from what I reading, I should be using the +4dBu setting :dunno I see input and -10dB I thought it was just basically a pad but seems like slightly more complicated than that.
The -10 is consumer line level, +4 is professional line level. Basically comes down to what device is feeding it. If the monitor is any good, you shouldn't hear any difference between the two settings except more level.

Kylote

The -10 is consumer line level, +4 is professional line level. Basically comes down to what device is feeding it. If the monitor is any good, you shouldn't hear any difference between the two settings except more level.
I'll see how +4 sounds, but -10 was kinda meh, at least with the presets I use on the Helix. Might also be because I am using it as a mono and not having a second one. My Sony MDR-7506's sound immense, LSR305 is a pretty big letdown in comparison sound-wise.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I meant to ask, what did you think about that Monarch?
I didn't really get to open it up, but with the volume at about 8:30 and the tone at noon, it sounded great. There wasn't a MV on the amp, so I couldn't really push it into breakup. Spent some time on both voicings (Brit and American). The biggest difference in the voicings to my ear is the Brit voicing dropped a lot of bass compared to the American voicing. I was geeking out over the guitars, so I didn't really pay much attention to the amp... I'm not even sure what speaker is in it. haha

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I'll see how +4 sounds, but -10 was kinda meh, at least with the presets I use on the Helix. Might also be because I am using it as a mono and not having a second one. My Sony MDR-7506's sound immense, LSR305 is a pretty big letdown in comparison sound-wise.
The Sony's are headphones, right? Tough to compare stereo headphones to a mono near-field monitor.

kingrazor

Honestly a good set of monitors should sound pretty "meh" since they're supposed to be flat and not "excite" the sound at all. Most headphones will hype the sound up in some way.

Flip362

how's that C4 in real life?
I reeeaaaallllly like it. It could have replaced the Lunar Phaser (for how little I use modulation) if I reaaallly needed another pedal instead of that on the board. Tracks really well. I can route the synth tones straight to my delay/reverb instead of going through the preamp/cab if I want. It does a LOT of things. Just not polyphonic synth stuff, but I can program chords and the key so it is always in key. So it actually makes life easier instead of harder. Why play chords when you only need to play 1 note?!

The filters are awesome. (No surprises there). The distortions are cool. The pedal does a lot. I’m playing electric next Wednesday, Sunday, then following Wednesday. So it’ll see 3 full different services back to back. I’ll know how it all sits in our church mix better after that. So far in practice and playing, it is awesome.

Last edited:

Kylote

The Sony's are headphones, right? Tough to compare stereo headphones to a mono near-field monitor.
Fair enough, but this is even without stereo effects. Amp + Cab, compressor and maybe an OD. Sounds fantastic in the headphones and relatively weak in the monitor.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Fair enough, but this is even without stereo effects. Amp + Cab, compressor and maybe an OD. Sounds fantastic in the headphones and relatively weak in the monitor.
It's more about the relative percieved volume and the response curve differences between the headphones (likely tuned for more bass impact) and the monitors (which are likely designed to be more flat, but also won't reach down to the sub-bass levels your cans will). The fact that you're only using one monitor contributes to both of these effects.

littleNUKE393

I didn't really get to open it up, but with the volume at about 8:30 and the tone at noon, it sounded great. There wasn't a MV on the amp, so I couldn't really push it into breakup. Spent some time on both voicings (Brit and American). The biggest difference in the voicings to my ear is the Brit voicing dropped a lot of bass compared to the American voicing. I was geeking out over the guitars, so I didn't really pay much attention to the amp... I'm not even sure what speaker is in it. haha
Really want to play one of those if I can find one. After playing the TJ Benson pack interested me a ton.

So will Novo guitars be our new Suhrs

MoonshineMan

I remember finding that video about 6yrs ago. Wow. Soooooo good! The guy that posted it, mentoneman, always had a bunch of great vids posted. Killer tone.

shawn
I’ve known Chris for many years, led worship with him a lot. Played with Marc a few times also. Both are absolute sweethearts.
They recorded our church album.
Playing guitar in front of Marc Ford was a little intimidating, to say the least.

kingrazor

Are you comparing the headphone out of the helix vs the line out? I'm wondering if there's a difference there.

Kylote

Are you comparing the headphone out of the helix vs the line out? I'm wondering if there's a difference there.
Yea, headphones are directly from the headphone out on the Helix. The JBL is the left 1/4" out on the Helix set to line level.

Trending Topics