P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Yep! They moved down here from PA about 2 years ago. It's a nice little shop... showroom in front, manufacturing in back. I predict they will have to expand soon, they're busy just keeping up with current orders.

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  2. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

I'm going to answer using gear terms ;) I'm sure you can interpret the metaphor.

For me, it all starts at home. There, in my own space when I'm ...practicing... I can get as in to my guitar as I want. I can go crazy technical, obscure, and weird, or keep it simple, play some scales, etc. That prepares me well for playing my guitar in various other environments.

When I'm present with other musicians, there's a fair bit of freedom there as well. I'm not plugged into an amp, so I don't necessarily impact much on what others are playing so I can still have a fair bit of fun with my instrument but as a whole bunch of other musos might be jamming as well, I don't have quite the same freedom as playing by myself. If 10 other musicians might be jamming a song in G, it would probably be a little bit harder for me to bust out some licks in C#, though not impossible!

When I'm up on stage though, I'm playing for others. That means I want them to have a good time. I bust out the hits, Sweet Home Alabama, Wonderwall, Uptown Funk, etc. I might not be stretching the limits of my playing doing this, but that's okay; I still have a blast!

There.

3. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Thunder Road guitars up in Seattle has a robin ranger in stock that they posted on IG this afternoon. It’s kinda pointy and cool looking even with that atrocity of a headstock.

dickjonesify, dmutter and playsarobin like this.
  4. shawn w

shawn w Member

I remember finding that video about 6yrs ago. Wow. Soooooo good! The guy that posted it, mentoneman, always had a bunch of great vids posted. Killer tone.

shawn

MoonshineMan likes this.
  5. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

Seriously, STOP!! ;) :D

boyce89976 and Memphis like this.
  6. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

That’s the headstock I had! Fortunately, and unfortunately, photobucket actually has some old pics I’m glad are there. Sucks that they’ve watermarked all my images, but is what it is. Here is that old Robin Machete I had years ago! Hence the TGP handle, and actually the handle I use on all forums.

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  7. Kylote

Kylote Member

Random question, but does anyone make a decently priced powered stereo cab/speaker? Obviously the audio spread wouldn't be great, but I am thinking one cabinet, 2 speakers and each speaker can be fed its own signal. I am space and money conscious, so 2 separate FRFR's gets expensive and takes up way more space that I'd want. I doubt anyone does this cheaply. I know the typical FRFR is a large speaker and then a horn, which is probably not conducive to what I am looking for... any ideas?

I'd just basically like to have one enclosure that allowed me to run stereo but be relatively FRFR.

dmutter likes this.
  8. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

I’m a little confused by how you worded this. Are you wanting a stereo guitar cab, or a stereo FRFR speaker setup? Very different things.

9. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Is it bad that I want to lay-down on that rug and have some pictures taken? lol

btjguitarman, Mr Tickle and dmutter like this.
  10. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I don't have a Facebook. Got a Twitter, just no FB lol...

Sean413, littleNUKE393 and boyce89976 like this.
  11. Kylote

Kylote Member

Essentially what the Mission Engineering Gemini 2 is but without the $1500-2000 price tag. FRFR, but stereo in the same enclosure. To run the Helix in stereo without having to carry and store 2 separate cabinets. I'm aware the stereo would be less impressive considering the speakers would be right next to each other. Just wondering what is out there but I got my LT for $900 and definitely don't want to be spending more than that just for a speaker solution.

12. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

I don't know of one other than the mission one, and its super expensive. You could always get a pair of the headrush FRFR cabs to run in stereo.... they don't cost too much

That is actually my plan (when I can afford them)

dmutter and Kylote like this.
  13. Kylote

Kylote Member

My main thoughts are that I don't have a lot of space and that I'm not completely content with how it sounds through my JBL LSR305. I essentially always practice with headphones because practicing through the JBL isn't terribly inspiring. Here is a pic that pretty much shows my music space...

[​IMG]

Just to the right is my closet/the wall (that is what the acoustic case is leaning against). I store some stuff in my closet, but it is on an external wall so is insulated but not climate controlled (which is why I try to keep guitars and amps out of the closet, so it is mostly things like cables and mic stands). We're a family of 5 in a 3 bedroom place, so I get a corner of the bedroom. Our living room/common living space is pretty much occupied by toys.

Memphis likes this.
  14. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

A second JBL will probably be the beat bang for your buck.

littleNUKE393 and Kylote like this.
  15. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/classic-studio-monitors-subwoofers/8030c-studio-monitor

I use pair of these with Helix and I've had good results of tones comparing at church and home if I setup them with little louder than I normally would. I don't know how flat range it is, but it works for me.

I also play Helix with phones when needed and I can get really nice tones that never work at church. I have patch that is one of my favourites with headphones, but doesn't work with Genelecs or at church.

Kylote likes this.
  16. Kylote

Kylote Member

Yea, I need to find where I'd put it. Don't want to block the window but there isn't enough space on the desk for 2 speakers and a laptop.

I also realized that maybe I had the JBL set incorrectly, so perhaps it will sound better now. I had the input sensitivity set to -10dBu because I thought it may help protect the speaker and cut 10dB's from the signal but from what I reading, I should be using the +4dBu setting :dunno I see input and -10dB I thought it was just basically a pad but seems like slightly more complicated than that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Is this just for home practice or live use? For home practice I would get either a second LSR305 or preferably a better pair of monitors. You can snag a used pair of Yamaha HS7s for $500ish. Also that monitor placement is not ideal. At the very least the monitors need to be pointing at your ears and not perpendicular to the wall. You've got a couple hundred bucks in that behringer interface and fender amp, which will get you a much bigger desk on craigslist or offerup, which will allow you to improve the monitor placement.

For live use I would not bother monitoring stereo with a speaker. Just set the Helix's main volume knob to control your 1/4" outputs, send stereo to FOH with the XLR outputs, and plug the left 1/4" output into a monitor. Helix sums to mono automatically per output. This gives you independent control of your monitor level without affecting what you're sending to FOH.

18. Flip362

Flip362 Member

I’m officially out of space... I can’t Tetris anymore, but i’m Really happy with my tone and versatility! Maybe if I switched to shorter profile cables I could fit another pedal or 2 minis...

19. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

I meant to ask, what did you think about that Monarch?

boyce89976 and littleNUKE393 like this.
  20. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Yeah, looks pretty ugly to me to be honest, but I like the colors.

ThinPaperWings and kdm1218 like this.