P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. als_lespaul

als_lespaul Member

Random question for y'all since I'm considering some changes...Kemper Floor or Line 6 Helix? I'm getting tired of lugging so much gear to church every Sunday!

2. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

I maybe change tomorrow my double cut to reliced Fender Custom shop strat if we both like each others guitars.. Stay tuned :D

boyce89976 likes this.
  3. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Our guitar players leave all their gear at the church. One of them doesn't even bring a guitar! He just brings his IEMs.

4. als_lespaul

als_lespaul Member

Awesome! Yeah, my amps are in an iso cab that I built and they stay at the church. My pedalboard is different story though. Unfortunately, leaving it at the church is not an option at this point.

kingrazor and boyce89976 like this.
  5. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Got this sweet new hat today. Long story short... I ordered a different one but didn't like how tall the "forehead" was on it, so I sent it back in exchange for this one. They emailed the tracking number, with a note that said they put a surprise in the box... another, slightly different, hat for FREE! And they paid return shipping!
    [​IMG]
    www.artofhomage.com

These guys ROCK! :dude

6. boyce89976

Wait, your amps stay at church, so all you have to bring is a guitar, bag of cables and pedalboard, and you want to switch to an all-in-one? I'm not being snarky... seriously want to know... do you have a medical condition that makes load-in/out difficult?

shawn w likes this.
  7. als_lespaul

als_lespaul Member

Haha...no medical condition, but I am seriously tired of hauling the Pedal Train Pro and hard case around. I think the Line 6 or the Kemper might be a bit more convenient for my needs, so that's why I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on those units.

dmutter and boyce89976 like this.
  8. Flip362

Flip362 Member

Wait, there are people who take more than a pedalboard/bag and a guitar to church?!

9. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

I think either unit would do you well. I personally think any time trade off is worth the usability of the helix but opinions vary. You’ll sound good either way. If your amp lives at church what about just downsizing to like hx effects?

kdm1218 likes this.
  10. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Well hot dang, guess I need to go buy these!

boyce89976 likes this.
  11. boyce89976

Friend of mine made this strap for my Novo! He and I were chatting after church Sunday, and I was telling him I was having trouble finding a nice black strap for my Novo.

He said, "why don't you let me make one for you?"

Me, "Ummm, YES PLEASE!"

Going to pick it up tonight! He's a true leather craftsman... makes everything by hand... you can check out his stuff here: https://www.facebook.com/beardedwildleatherco/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

There are people here who use both units. @yeatzee currently has and uses both (toaster Kemper only I think) and could probably answer any question you have about either.

I went to HX Stomp and a couple pedals back in December and won’t go back to bigger and heavier, ever! The Helix UI is simple and easy to get the hang of, coming from someone who had never used a modeler before. @yeatzee also just put out a great patch, and @-Empire also has great patches. Both those guys also have some solid YouTube videos on Helix stuff. It’s all in one and super flexible in how you want to use it.

crambone likes this.
  13. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Both will easily get the job done, as long as you're comfortable monitoring the signal from a mic on a cab in another room through whatever speakers or headphones you're using. Much different sound than a live guitar cab in the room with you and many people mistakenly blame the modeler for this difference.

I switched from Kemper to Helix about 3 years ago and have stuck with it since then. Using Helix on the road for my main gig and at church when I'm home. Not missing anything from the analog or Kemper worlds, and I really prefer the modeling paradigm where I can dial in my own sounds and the knobs respond like the real amps vs. having to purchase profile packs of different amps, scrolling through hundreds of profiles that someone else dialed in, hoping to find what I'm looking for.

$850 for an used LT is tough to beat... sell an amp and a few pedals and pick one up, along with some good studio monitors. It's an USB audio interface too so just plug it into your computer and your computer's audio is automatically routed to the outputs, plus you can use the editor that way too. It's a good headphone amp as well - I regularly use my Sennheiser HD600 cans at home to practice. Overall it makes practicing, dialing in tones, and recording all super easy. I have a lot of P&W-style Helix content on my YouTube channel if you're interested.

Watching the demo videos of the Kemper Stage gave me flashbacks of trying to navigate that horrible UI.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  14. JonCor2577

JonCor2577 Member

If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Helix. (Which I did) The user interface is good and the effects possibilities are endless. I know the Kemper has onboard effects that have gotten a lot better recently but the Helix is still the better stand alone unit for most folks.

kdm1218 likes this.
  15. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

I bought a helix for our church and programmed it and now nobody brings anything but a guitar to church with them. It has been great so far.

16. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

Do you appreciate user friendly UI, and a really intuitive PC/Mac editor? Then I'd go with Helix

Are you chasing never ending supplies of 95% accurate representations of real amps (and willing to shell out some cash for them)? Then go Kemper Stage.

kdm1218 and jtwguitar like this.
  17. jtwguitar

jtwguitar Member

How do you feel that the stomp takes drives and reverb/delay in front vs a real amp?

dmutter and boyce89976 like this.
  18. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Honest answer, I am probably not the best person to ask. I say that cause I haven’t used a tube amp since sometime in spring 2017, and I suspect I’d cringe now at my tone I had then because I’ve learned to dial in better and play much better. But, I think it takes pedals just fine. I don’t have such a sensitive ear as some of these other guys do to debate intricacies of that stuff.

(Edit) not knocking those that hear significant differences. I just don’t and neither do our audiences, especially in a mix.

I’ve set mine up where I had delay and reverb in the loop so I could have those in front but also use Stomp drives. The main thing I found there was I had to turn down the return dB level to keep from getting clipping from the delay repeats. And then I’ve set it up where I used a couple drive pedals before it and used the Stomp wet effects, and I like that just fine too. I have it now where I have my comp pedal first (to save a block), then Minotaur (HX Klone), then a loop that has my Black Secret (Rat), tremolo, and a VP, then delay before my amp/cab and reverb after it. I’ve found I prefer that cause I still get the dirty repeats on the delay but they don’t get quite so muddy with the reverb at the end of the chain. It’s a versatile little unit!

Paging @flatulentmatt because IIRC he has ability to either run direct or into amps at his church using the Stomp.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    jtwguitar likes this.
  19. boyce89976

That is the right question.

jtwguitar and littleNUKE393 like this.
  20. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

No experience with the HX Stomp here, but still a Helix Rack owner and a Kemper rack.
    I don't personally like how the Helix takes drives in the front end, I thought it did fine with Mod, Verb, delay etc in a loop(can't recall if I ever tried delay in front)
    But really imo if you buy a helix and start mixing in pedals you are getting away from the point of helix.
    Kemper does better with a pedalboard in front of it. But you do have to be careful with high output tube pedals(Kingsley Page, Harlot and Jester in my case) if you push the volume too much they can clip the inputs on the Kemper.

I am curious since the stomp was designed to interact more with a pedalboard than a full helix does it take pedals better than a Helix floor, LT or Rack?

jtwguitar likes this.