P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Hope you get well soon and get back to playing just fine.
    With these units, tweaking is a given since they are compact & full of sounds.
    As I understand, most people are replacing their amp with these or even the entire rig.
    Even in some Line 6 video, they said it's supposed to be an amp+cab. I guess they gave away too much in this variant. :phones

2. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

As in gave up too much for the Stomp? I don’t think that’s the case at all. I think in fact they are targeting especially a Pdub market that’s obsessed with its Strymons and big boards but needs a silent stage solution and this allows integration right at the end of those traditional setups. The HXFX is the reverse, someone who still plays an amp but maybe doesn’t want to lug a big pedalboard with all these different effects.

The Stomp can be an all in one when you’re willing to see what do you actually need to play the parts, whether this style of music or something else, but I don’t believe the goal was ever to be as all in one and flexible as the full floor- why would they undercut their own product that way? They didn’t give anything away, just a different product to meet different needs.

3. rockapede

rockapede Member

This. I'm really using the Stomp outside of its probable intended purpose. The Stomp works well as an all-in-one for me because 1) I appreciate the small overall package and 2) I'm someone who suffers from option paralysis. Give me too much and I'll spend all my time tweaking, not playing, when all I really need is dirt, amp, delay, reverb, and the ability to sub in a "one off" effect like pitch or vibrato every so often. It won't work well for everyone in this fashion and, cost wise, for most it honestly makes more sense to go LT. The Stomp isn't the Floor and isn't supposed to be.

4. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I think it can suffice for very simple needs, like mine where 4 pedals are enough.
    But most folks use a much diverse setup & I can't see it replacing those boards with Big Sky & Timelines..
    I can understand how the Stomp is based on a 'plugin node' based design. In data storage & other sectors, most new technology has become plugin to add kind of & capabilities are very objective which makes sense how Line 6 has a DSP allocation list that you shared earlier. Someday, your pedalboard will be on the 'Cloud', sharing & optimising resources. Eww.

5. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Yep, I get it. I have a similar setup & you don't really need much for clean jazz/fusion tones. But I was doing some reading & people are saying some options are greyed out because the processor is already occupied. I guess it may be for very intensive 'ping pong' delay or other luxury effects. But from what folks are vouching for, it seems quite capable.

6. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

I started out with an HX Effects, then sold it and upgraded to the LT (decided I wanted the amps and all to go with the effects, and figure if I just want the effects, the LT can still pull that off. Might get a Stomp eventually to have as a backup/flyrig/travel rig, but really enjoying the LT. great piece of gear.

Vaibhav Joshi, yeatzee and kdm1218 like this.
  7. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Yep, don’t think they are trying to. I have seen boards where they have 3-4 drives and a Pog and a Julia and Timeline/BigSky and a Stomp at the end. If someone wants stereo amps it’s definitely a more affordable way to do that for sure. But otherwise I think the original intent was those who are interested mainly in the amp/cab sim quality of Helix and whether they prefer a small form factor like myself and @rockapede or at the end of a big board, that fits the bill for both those types.

Yes, the gray out happens when there isn’t DSP available for a given effect. In my experience it has only happened with dual amps, or could happen if you were trying to run several stereo effects after an amp block, or even 6 effects all in stereo. But for most reasonable things with 6 blocks, there’s plenty available.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  8. Kylote

Kylote Member

That is sort of why I got into the preset purchasing game... now I don't tweak, someone else does the tweaking, I benefit from their knowledge and I can spend more time playing and less time preset building. I absolutely know the workflow on the Helix and can easily build anything I want from scratch, but I am bad at EQ'ing and making those fine adjustments pedal parameters.

When I build patches, most of the parameters get left at their defaults other than obvious things like changing delay time or feedback.

kdm1218, rockapede and PianoMan like this.
  9. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

I don't really understand the issue you're having. Compressors reduce dynamics.

Try the kinky comp up front at 40% mix and 40% sens, level at unity or just above. Leave the other settings at their defaults. That's my go-to comp sound on Helix / HX Stomp. Allows the picking dynamics and volume knob to work properly, but adds a good amount of sustain. The ross circuit that the SP Comp is based on also has a nice low-mid bump which is nice for single coils.

Drive pedals: very well. I use a klon as a lead boost into the front of my Stomp rig (see below). Tons of people in the church world are using their analog drive pedals into the Stomp with excellent results.

Reverb: into clean amps it's fine, if the amp is breaking up really at all, not so well. However IMO using the Stomp as just a clean amp pedal platform is a huge waste of its capability. At the very least you can run your wet effects after it or in its loop after the amp and cab blocks, sort of like they were in the amp's fx loop or added in post, enabling you to do things like use a footswitch to toggle the amp drive up and down, and give you additional flexibility with auxiliary effects placement.

This also means you no longer need a bunch of overdrives. Cranking a real amp is often impractical so a lot of overdrives try to recreate the sound of a cranked amp. In the digital world there's no such limitation so I don't really see the point of artificially limiting yourself to the "pedals into clean amp" paradigm. I really love going from a cleanish vox, plexi, DC30, tweed, etc, instantly to a roaring cranked amp sound with one footswitch press. And it weighs nothing and costs nothing (in terms of $$ and DSP).

In this rig that I use for local stuff and church stuff, the Stomp handles amp, cab, EQ, delay, reverb, and any auxilary sounds I need like chorus or trem. In this video I show how I generally set up my presets for an "all in one" Stomp rig, using footswitch 1 as an amp drive toggle. All of my other Stomp videos are also "all in one," using no other pedals: 1 2 3.

This rig is on a pt-nano+, weighs under 10lbs, can cover any type of tone, and excluding the GLX-D wireless, cost less than $1000. Running stereo direct out of the Stomp's 1/4" balanced outputs with two TRS to XLR cables.

[​IMG]

Does this happen on a blank preset? Are your input and output levels set to instrument level in the global settings? Does it change if you switch between analog and DSP bypass?

Make sure the levels of your sends and returns are set to instrument level in the global settings. You're definitely not clipping the AD/DA converters on the Stomp, so it's possible that the output level on your sends is quite high, which may clip the pres or converters on your wet effects. If they're still clipping even with the sends set to instrument level, try turning down the channel volume(s) on the amp block(s) to the point that your preset does not change volume with the amp block on or off. The channel volume parameter is just an output level control for the amp block and does not affect the amp modeling.

Thanks, glad you like them.

Dang I should have played this song for my video demo. Might have to track something and put it up on the website....

Great, if you're comfortable monitoring the signal from a mic on a cab in another room monitored through headphones. Helix's headphone amp is pretty powerful, designed to power high impedance studio headphones. So if you plug in cheap consumer-grade headphones it's possible that you'll overdrive them and they'll sound terrible. I often use Sennheiser HD600 cans late at night with the Helix with great results.

They are not even close. The sound from Helix is incredible (when dialed in properly).

Helix and HX Stomp *are* high end units, on par with Kemper and the AxeFX III. As I've mentioned in the past I switched from Kemper to Helix about 3 years ago and am using it professionally. This year I also picked up the III to compare it to Helix and have since flipped the Fractal unit.

Thanks again for coming to the show, glad you liked it. Remember that even though it was a smaller club, you were hearing our units at high volume through a nice PA, as well as the mic preamps on our board, and our presets are designed for that type of environment. If you played our presets through the headphone output or cheap computer speakers they would sound rather underwhelming and probably quite dark. The lesson here is: how you monitor matters! How do you plan to monitor your friend's Stomp?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  10. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Great, if I can get the sound of my amp, recorded, I can comfortably play with it. But this expectation needs to be set right. In a lot of videos, folks compare it to their traditional setup & feel disappointed. Also, these units require some tweaking as I understand.
    I'm glad it sounds nothing like the POD. I tried everything with the POD but I couldn't get it to sound right.

Looking at the HX Stomp price, I thought it may be different from the likes of Kemper and such. But the full feature Helix is also priced close, so it makes sense. Besides that, all the discussion in this thread has been very helpful.
    It's also a good point that how you monitor matters since that is essentially your speaker in this scenario.

Thanks. I checked your channel on 'dmutter's' recommendation. Very cool!

-Empire likes this.
  11. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I know we’ve talked about it in the past, but does anyone have a humbucker sized p90 they like? Kinda thinking about putting some in my sg...

boyce89976 likes this.
  12. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

I picked up a set from the fretwire.com's website for a build I put together a while back. They look really good, sound good and were like 35 bucks...

13. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Great. This should be the talk of the Jazz town. :)

kdm1218 likes this.
  14. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  15. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

That price is the right answer. Looking into those...

kdm1218 likes this.
  16. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

How’d you find the output on those? The reviews I just read said they were pretty low output, like lower than a p90 and about strat level. That’s not gonna do it for me.

17. roxtc

roxtc Member

Sorry should have just mentioned I would flip the plate and also flipped the pots so I had volume first, then tone, then the switch. My tone usually is set pretty dark around 4 or so, if I need to jump out I kick on a Klon/TS type drive.

kdm1218 likes this.
  18. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

Well, I mostly play humbucker equiped guitars, so they are definitely lower output than I'm used to, but they are about what I expected when i bought them (output wise). Bout the same as the couple of single coil guitars that I've got.

Here is a video I recorded with that guitar to give you an idea....

19. Kylote

Kylote Member

I think @dickjonesify uses a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat. For awhile I had one in the neck of my SG but never really bonded with it. To be fair, I've still never really bonded with a neck pickup (so not necessarily the Phat Cat's fault)... I'm a bridge man.

20. dmutter

dmutter Member

That would be fun!

I would have to figure that out. I have a decent pair of AKG headphones that are good to start for home, and if I went back to modelling for live use I would get an FRFR for the times I dont have access to in ears.