P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Awesome, thank you guys for the insight. So it seems like there are a two main use cases....
    1. Pair it with analog overdrives / compressors hitting the front while the wet FX is handled by the stomp for a simplified rig
    2. Pair it with some analog gear into the front but the stomp provides some overdrives / ancillary effects while using an FX loop for wet effects after the cab(s)
    I could conceivably make two different versions that cater to both parties, which should get everyone pretty close to their needed setup. It'll be tough to make something thats right for everyone but I can certainly try :aok

The AC10 is excellent, I still have mine and every time I turn it on and play through it I'm impressed. It incredibly small and weighs nothing too which is nice! I also preferred it's tone to the AC15 as well, which is significantly bigger and heavier.

Yeah there's no way I'll be able to get something that's the same quality as the modverb setup I made on the full helix, but I have already devised some smaller options that only take up 2-3 blocks that are definitely better than one stock reverb block on it's own. It seems like most people I've asked use outboard gear for the wet fx so I'm not too worried about getting it all in 6 blocks. I am working on an HX FX version though which will feature a much closer version to the full thing which I'm excited for (anyone with an HX FX PM me).

Nice! Yeah living in an apartment the digital gear is honestly a necessity. I probably play with headphones now 90% of the time, I'm very used to it now. Back before I got married and I lived at my parents house I used to crank up my amps in a closet and mic them to get my tones close to what they'd be out of FOH. It was a massive pain and had a ton of complications, I definitely don't miss trying to record with that setup! I do still own a little AC10 tube amp though, since it is fun to crank up an amp every once in a while ;)

Thanks man! And sweet, that's a good looking duo and trio :dude

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

I stand corrected. Messed my terms.

Chance and boyce89976 like this.
  3. Kylote

Kylote Member

Luckily the 108 I just got in yesterday clocks in around 20 lbs. I’ve read there is decent difference of bass response with it on the floor vs. elevated, some saying if too bassy to get it off the floor. I had the baby all day yesterday so I didn’t really get to dig into it, but she goes to grandma’s today, so hopefully I can crank it and really evaluate it.

dmutter likes this.
  4. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

To be fair, good sir, you have an excuse. You are able to speak different languages while I can barely speak English!

dickjonesify, dmutter and boyce89976 like this.
  5. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

@yeatzee I look forward to what you’ll come up with!

yeatzee likes this.
  6. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

I need help my brethren(and sistrethren?)

I can’t find my tone :(
    Running a 2001 American Tele with Special T Lollars into a Morgan AC20 Deluxe 1x12 combo. Came with a Celestion Blue but I also have a Gold I’ve tried as well.

I’ve cleaned up my pedalboard and got some quality cables. This removed the dull capacitance sound. It’s the clearest tone I’ve ever had, but it’s too BRIGHT. Mainly in the G-B-E strings. I’ve tried adjusting pickup heights, amp settings and tone knob. Everything just sounds bad. Too bright or too dark/dull.

Been trying eq, compressors and klones to no avail.

My question:
    Do I need to look at a different amp or different guitar?
    I see so many Gretsch’s, Veritas, Reverend, etc. but I have no way of trying before buying.

Just looking for help please

dmutter and boyce89976 like this.
  7. rockapede

rockapede Member

Have you used a Vox-style amp with a Tele before now? It may just not be for you. They are naturally pretty bright to my ears. I favor "cut" as a tonal quality so I'm all about the Vox; however, it can be a battle between cutting through and ice-picking. I know you've said you've tried the tone knob on the guitar and it made it too dark, but a little goes a loooong way on a Tele.

It may also be that the 1x12 open back arrangement isn't for you. Might source a different style of cab and see if that fixes it.

8. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

@josiahmac I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that guitar or amp. I assume you’re using a typical pedalboard with it? Maybe list what you have on there right now and especially if there are certain of those pedals you’re having trouble with.

Also if you could record some clips that could certainly help. Even a phone speaker and upload to soundcloud is better than nothing.

9. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

First things first, I assume you've tried the different tone switches and tube options on the amp? I used to use an AC20 Deluxe a lot, and I remember that those switches could make a huge difference in tone.

It's also worth noting that some people just naturally sound bright when they play (I'm one of them). For instance, I have another guitarist friend whose tone is incredibly dark and warm (in the best way), but if I play through his exact rig, it sounds bright and a bit thin. If this is the case for you, then you might need to try a couple things to take the edge off (I cut treble more than most people at the amp, and keep an EQ at the start of my pedalboard to cut more treble if needed).

That said, your rig appears to be pretty solid. Lollar Special T's and AC20s are not especially bright in my experience. My first thought is to try a different speaker - I'd suggest a Greenback. I haven't tried a Gold in person, but from what I read, it falls in the same realm as the Blue, and personally I find Blue's to be bright and harsh sounding. My church has 2 AC30s sitting around, one with Blues, another with Greenbacks. The one with Blues is insanely bright - to the point that I avoid using it when possible - but the one with Greenbacks is perfect - it cuts through the mix without being bright or harsh. One of the best amps I've ever used.

If that doesn't work, then I'd lean toward trying some different amps. Amps have a bigger impact on your overall tone than guitars. Though you could also try playing a humbucker guitar through it and see it that makes a difference.

10. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

The gear you have should be plenty capable of producing fantastic tone.

Can you tell us a little more about your rig?
    1. How are you monitoring your amp... are you in the room with it or monitoring through IEM's?
    2. Can you tell us what else is in your signal chain (all the pedals in order), including how long your cable is from your guitar to pedalboard and pedalboard to your amp?
    The Celestion Blue is a really bright speaker (mostly upper midrange kind of bright) and it can sound thin and bright when you're in the same room with it. But when mic'd up and monitored through IEM's sounds great! I wouldn't call the AC20 an overly bright amp in and of itself, but with a Blue, it will definitely cut through a mix.

11. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

Got a solid deal on a used PBC 6X yesterday, so that's on its way to me. It's the last thing I needed to get my new board build going, so that will be starting up after my last scheduled date to play at church in a few weeks! Can't wait!

I should also mention that the GFI Specular Tempus sounds fantastic! I haven't gotten to play with it much yet, but I was very impressed with the sounds I got from it in just a few minutes of play time. The analog delay in particular is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Can't wait to sit down and play with it some more!

12. boyce89976

@josiahmac This is a vid of a friend of mine playing his Knaggs Tele (David Allen pickups) through a Morgan AC20 captured with an iPhone, so it's not the best quality. But I set up the amp and it was set with the volume at about noon-1 o'clock, cut at 10 o'clock and master dimed. Bright switch was set to bright. This particular AC20 has an upgraded speaker (can't remember what it is at the moment).

You'll see another amp in the frame, but it's cabinet is in an iso box off stage and you can't really hear it. The Morgan is about 20 feet behind us facing the back of the stage.

13. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

^legit chicken pickin right thurrrrrrr

littleNUKE393 and boyce89976 like this.
  14. boyce89976

Yeah, dude, Tyler is a MONSTER!

crambone likes this.
  15. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

If the tone junkies packs are any indication the gold is a good bit darker sounding than the blue so that might be a better option. An off the wall idea would be to use a coily cable for your guitar. You might have cleaned up the signal too much and if you've got a buffer going it could turn everything too hifi. A lot of people use a coily cable to help with what you're describing.

Side note, I got a new light and it's so sweet, can't wait to work on the next video. Borrowing this from a guy, super interesting guitar with a staple neck pickup!
    [​IMG]

JokeSmuggler and kdm1218 like this.
  16. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

Wow, you guys are on it. Thanks for all the feedback.

No one recommended a new guitar, so that’s a bonus.

This is my first time with an AC style amp, previous were fenders.
    I love the breakup, the tight/punchy lows and mids. But @rockapede is right, it’s a fine line between bright and ice pick.

I’m taking advice here and going to try a coily lead cable, a greenback speaker and a different buffer.

To be honest, I am definitely in the HiFi realm and I got myself there. Once I started hearing it, I went cable by cable and pedal by pedal to eliminate any tone suck. Went too far I guess.

I’m hoping to tame the highs only because all my past efforts took the punchy lows and mids out as well.

The Blue sounds best to me and breaks up beautifully. The Gold is a smidge warmer, but not in the highs. It also doesn’t break up as nicely, needs to be pushed harder due to wattage.

crambone and yeatzee like this.
  17. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Was hoping to hear about it. Thanks.
    How does it compare to your amp+ pedals sound in the room?

18. dmutter

dmutter Member

Frank Brothers! They make some awesome stuff, Tom Bartlett himself told me about them. They are creative and have quite the attention to detail.

I went from Fender style amps to vox style. Definitely a difference. My tele into my Matchless is bright, if you stand with your ears in the cone of death it will pierce right through you! But it is perfectly voiced and sounds so good in a mix.

19. boyce89976

This is good info... before you do anything else, I'd live with it for a while and use it live before making any more changes. Your current setup is such a standard in the Pdub world (Tele, Vox-style amp, Blue speaker), I think you just need to spend some time to get used to the changes you've made.

MoonshineMan and dmutter like this.
  20. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

Coily cable will get you back where you were with the capacitance. Picks and strings make a huge difference in the high end too; recently I have noticed I can get a really big change from mellow to kerrang just by using a different pick. I use Dunlop Primetone for bright and Ultex Jazz III XL or D'Andrea ProPlec for fatter/warmer. Your setup is pretty standard P&W as someone said, so I agree with @boyce89976 to give it some time. Some of it might also be better in a band mix than alone, can't remember if you mentioned this or not.