P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

No joke, I was thinking, this is what a Matchless probably sounds like. What would be the best way to mic this? Church uses homemade isolation box(plywood with fur lining?) and drapes a Sennheiser e609 over the center. They keep telling me all their getting is treble, but I’ve never used that mic. I always use a 57 at an angle, but there’s no room in the box.

I think it would sit well in the mix. Alone in my garage, that’s almost unbearable...

dmutter likes this.
  3. dmutter

dmutter Member

Well it is a bit different because you are really getting the mic'd up sound of your amp. It's more like the sound of your rig coming through a monitor.
    One advantage though to the Headrush being a bit bass heavy though is that I found it helped me feel more like I was playing an amp in the room. Not completely, it is still an FRFR, but it gave a bit of that feeling.
    All in all it sounded great and I quite enjoyed cranking up and jamming out. It's not quite as glorious as standing in front of my Matchless, but still quite fun. I could easily gig/jam with that setup.

Vaibhav Joshi and MoonshineMan like this.
  4. dmutter

dmutter Member

Good tones should be able to be had with the e609, but really a SM57 or e906 are more preferable to me. I am no expert at micing, I know a couple of things but really I rely on people better than me to guide me. I had a friend who is a professional sound man put a 57 on my amp and have me play. He moved it around until he found what he tells me is the sweet spot and thats what I use now.

ThinPaperWings and flatulentmatt like this.
  5. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

The e609 is very similar in response to the SM57 just not as smooth... so you can use the same mic position to get similar results. When I mic my Matchless, I place the mic 1/2 way between the center of the speaker and the edge of the cone, then I angle it 45* towards the edge of the cone.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    dmutter, kdm1218 and JokeSmuggler like this.
  6. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

The 609 has a pretty big peak at 5KHz. The 906 is a lot flatter in response (depending on the switch setting). I've been looking into getting a ribbon mic since we have the same problem at my church. Amp sounds nice and full in the room, but piercingly bright through the mic.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  7. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

I would try and get a mic stand and mess with placement. The further you go from the cone, the darker it should get. The real red flag to me is that you don't really like the sound of the amp in the same room as you. Is it possible the amp needs repair? Have you ever heard anyone else's gear sound good with it?

8. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

The center is where all the treble is...

You can probably get a good sound even without angling if that's impossible, just have them:
    1) turn off the channel's EQ
    2) Listen to the channel while playing and move the mic around on the speaker

Distance, angle, and location will change the sound a lot, you just have to find a good spot for it to live.

ThinPaperWings and boyce89976 like this.
  9. Kylote

Kylote Member

I'm fairly confident the Headrush FRFR 108 could blow my eyebrows off. Could definitely keep up with a loud drummer. Just running the Helix at noon on the volume knob and the Headrush at 5 (out of 11) it was probably my upper limit on volume without damaging something. Now turning either the Helix to unity (max) I would have to back the 108 down to 2 or 3. I think it would probably be on par with at least a 15w tube amp (in terms 15w at its loudest being comparable to Helix + Headrush 108 at full)... may be a 30w tuber.

dmutter likes this.
  10. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

Now that you mention it, a Les Paul Special with P90s might do the trick. Gibson models from the late 90s early 2000s can usually be had for about $800 in the Milwaukee/Chicago market. If you can find them with real P90s and not P100s even better.

For realz tho, if you have some guitar buddies or other guys or gals on your church WT, get together and play through each others gear. You might like the idea of a Tele and AC30 more than the actual sound of a Tele and AC30.

11. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Oh there you are TGP

12. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I re-organized today to take the fx loop out of my Stomp chain. Black Secret may also be replaced by tremolo or octave if the set needed those. I put a modulation block in (currently chorus) on all my base presets and tweaked everything to have a dirty repeat plus a digital delay after the amp and added a second reverb after being inspired by @yeatzee ‘s awesome AC30 patch.

Unfortunately after a Windows update my Reaper is not recognizing HX Stomp in its ASIO list. Everything else on the computer still works through it, so it must be a Reaper bug with the Windows update. Hopefully it gets addressed soon so I don’t end up having to track through the Stomp and then through my Focusrite Scarlett just to get it in there. @MoonshineMan is probably having the same problem ;)

13. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

I was shocked at how loud my 108s are. Had the volume knob on my Helix disabled and had a hard time getting the FRFR 108 volume low enough for bedroom levels. Around 1 it wants to drop to nothing. Ended up turning it to 2 and enabling the master volume knob so I could turn down to noon.

dmutter and Kylote like this.
  14. Kylote

Kylote Member

Go to the Line 6 website and download the Helix (or Stomp) Windows driver. I think it is 1.91 or something. My LT wasn’t showing up as a device in Reaper until I reinstalled the driver. In my case, Windows updated like a week ago and decided it knew what driver was needed for the Helix to work and turns out Windows was wrong.

dmutter and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  15. kdm1218

I will try that later, thanks!

Kylote likes this.
  16. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

In more than one job, I've refrained from updating once everything starts working together. Our lab storage appliances have their interfaces as Java based. The version of Java that works smoothly stays.
    Even our customers who have their entire environment running on the storage are very skeptical to update once they find it has started working without any performance issues. Maybe you can think of downgrading the Windows back to he previously working version. This is not that uncommon & frankly, I don't think Windows updates are much useful for personal uses, they are mostly security related bug fixes etc.
    Edit: I think someone suggested reinstalling the driver; hope it works.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  17. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Cool, I wanted to understand that portion of the comparison.
    But as you said, it sounds good still & many guys are using it for playing at home as well.

dmutter likes this.
  18. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Too bright too at home is probably going to be just perfect in a mix at the gig. Todays P$W is full of compressor warm pianos, warm pads and synths, warm full drum sounds and lots of BVs and reverbs washing everywhere. A bright guitar tone is going to cut through well and leave some precious space for all those warm keyboard-y bits.

19. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

EXACTLY (and why I suggested living with it for a little while before making any more changes :D)!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  20. kdm1218

Not possible, Microsoft is pushing the update in waves to all consumers. The best you can do is to tell it remind me in 7 days, and do that 5 total times before it installs itself anyways.

Hopefully the driver fixes it but if not it’s definitely an issue with the DAW and the new version, because everything else is running through the Stomp as the interface like it’s supposed to.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.