P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

Well then...what cab? Closed or open? What speakers? What strings? What picks? What did you eat for breakfast!? Tell me everything!

papersun and dmutter like this.
  2. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Stock 2x12 (open back, mismathed speakers), JJ's tubes, D'addario EXL's, Gravity Picks, probably a protein shake... Suhr Tele with stock pickups or Voodoo TE59's... :D

Seriously though, no secrets, you should be able to get there with pretty much any Tele, and the EF86 channel on an AC30. The only think that might take some work would be the speakers in the Matchless cab (a G12H and a G12M).

dmutter likes this.
  3. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

I have an ef86 option on my Morgan AC20, but never got it to sound that sweet. It has more of a dark tone to it. I’ll play around with it and see what happens

4. boyce89976

Weren't you saying your whole rig is too bright now? Have you tried the EF86 recently?

The Matchless tone controls are a bit different than an AC30... on the EF86 channel there's a 6-position tone switch that rolls off bass as you turn it counter clockwise. I run it in position 4 (2 clicks off the flat EQ setting of position 6). So maybe roll the bass back a bit on your amp?

5. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

You are correct. Maybe I can get it sounding a little brighter this time around. Does yours have clean headroom? I remember the EF86 channel having none. Almost immediate saturation.

6. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Thou shalt not lust after thy innanet buddy's toan.

I have some clean tones uploading from the LRS AC20 Pack that are just gorgeous. So good. If you can stand to listen to my noodling, that Morgan might turn into a KPA Toaster....

aaaaand here they are. I really think this is the best clean toan I've gotten from my KPA.

7. boyce89976

I find the key to the EF86 channel is to use the power amp in conjunction with the preamp to get edge of break up. The EF86 breaks up pretty fast, so I run it at 8:30-9 o'clock where it's just starting to break up, and run the power amp at about 1 o'clock so it's breaking up a bit too. It won't have a ton of headroom, but that's where the amp really wakes up.

8. boyce89976

Wow, those do sound really good. Normally, I don't like pristine cleans (unless the piece calls for it) but these sound really good.

I bought that pack last week but haven't had a chance to play with it.

If you like AC style amps, get his Matchbox pack too. I was one of his testers for that pack and it's great.

Playpunk and jtwguitar like this.
  9. jtwguitar

jtwguitar Member

This isn’t exactly on topic but any recommendations for bass preamps for running direct in church P&W environment? We are using a sansamp box right now and not super happy with the tones we are getting from our bassists... I would describe it as muddy and boomy.

10. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

They probably just need to learn to EQ it properly. I use a Sansamp VT Bass and get decent results with that. Alternatively you can simplify things with something like a REDDI or a Noble preamp, but those are pretty expensive.

A good bass can sound just fine going into a regular active DI, but you lose any ability to add drive.

jtwguitar likes this.
  11. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

My friend at a different church uses the LR Baggs Venue to run his bass direct and it sounds great.

jtwguitar likes this.
  12. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Nothing wrong with a Sansamp. Just need to get the settings on the amp and bass right.

jtwguitar likes this.
  13. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Here ya go. This clip switches between the original and my take about 15 times. Keep in mind the two were tracked with different dry takes, guitars, pickups, amps, cabs, speakers, mics, mic placements, mic preamps, delays, and reverbs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1lehrf50rzw2b6/2019-08-05 TJ Match C-30 EF86 HM2.m4a?dl=0

This is a lot brighter than something I would use live at high volumes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    He_Ma likes this.
  14. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Is it true that a) it can send BPM to pedals (in my case DD5 and DMMTT) and b) that it’s now capable of 9 loops??

15. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

That’s great! What gear we talking here?

16. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

tele > Helix > USB into Logic. No post processing or anything, not even a mic preamp plugin. Helix preset is 4 blocks: (1) DC30 channel 2 (EF86 channel) > (2) 212 H30 cab (R121 ribbon mic) + 212 G25 cab (57 mic) > (3) tiny bit of delay > (4) tiny bit of room reverb.

Not even any high/low cuts on the cab block. So the dry amp tone is 2 blocks, which obviously would only take up two of the HX Stomp's 6 blocks, if you were more inclined that direction.

HX Stomp crushes on bass.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    jtwguitar and papersun like this.
  17. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

Mesa Boogie Subway DI, absolutely fantastic piece of gear for a bass player

thebeebs and jtwguitar like this.
  18. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

It's funny that we are discussing service times. My church is adding a third service starting next month. We have a large college contingent so we'll run 3 services from September until May and back-down to 2 for the summer when the kids go home.

Right now we are 0930 + 1100 with a call time of 0800.
    The new service times are going to be 0900 + 1030 + 1200 and I am guessing the call time will simply be 30 minutes earlier at 0730 but I haven't heard for sure.

I don't have a problem getting up / getting to practice 30 minutes earlier because I am generally up around 0700 anyway on the weekends (2 young kids that do not yet know the joy of sleeping-in) so I'm good there. At my old church we had Thursday night practices as well as a quick "run-through" at 0830 (before Sunday school at 0915) and that got to be a bear. No click or tracks (which in and of itself isn't a big deal but it meant that nothing was as easy to start/stop), people shuffling music around on their music stands, lots of idle chatter between songs. We literally stretched-out what should've been a 30-minute rehearsal to dang-near 2 hours sometimes. I much prefer the way we do it now where each person learns their shiz and comes together on Sunday mornings to get tight.

HurricaneJesus likes this.
  19. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

I usually don’t love totally clean tones but these just sounded fantastic to me.

I have that pack, and I need to work up some performances with it. I honestly haven’t spent much time with it yet.

boyce89976 likes this.
  20. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

When I started we were doing 9am and 11am Sundays, 7:25 call time, I think. Thursday rehearsal.
    Then we cut the Thursday rehearsal and went to 6:30 call time on Sundays. With three kids (one an infant) it can be a struggle but I decided right away I wasn’t going to let that keep me from serving.
    You’re right, there’s that added sense of urgency to come in having your crap together Sunday morning that wasn’t always there with the Thursday night rehearsal. I think I still prefer the Thursday night, though, because it gave everyone a chance to identify and address any stuff we might need to work on before Sunday.

crambone and kdm1218 like this.