P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. dmutter

dmutter Member

To me the best part of a mid-week rehearsal is not the music, it is the more relaxed atmosphere to connect with fellow team members. The relationship building is the best, there typically isnt the same opportunity to connect on Sunday's in my experiences.

2. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

1) I believe it can send BPM to at least most pedals (I'd research what you have to be sure). In the past I used my PBC 10 to send tempo to an ext. tempo modded Strymon Brigadier and it worked well enough. I will note that the PBCs handling of tempo is pretty basic, and not incredibly flexible if you need to change things on the fly without a computer. That's why I'm switching to using a Selah Quartz on my upcoming board.
    2) It was actually updated so that you could have up to 11 individually controlled mono loops! The stereo loops (there are three of them, plus a stereo insert loop) can now be split into two mono loops apiece. Genius idea IMO. I'll be using that to get a little extra control on my new pedalboard as well.

3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Absolutely. Thursdays we would break off and have small group prayer and chat, then get to rehearsing. Plenty of time to stop and address any needed improvements. Just not as much time for that Sunday mornings (even with the too-early call time).

dmutter and kdm1218 like this.
  4. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

What gauge strings you play?

5. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

Floating for me (ok, it's a Suhr JM not a strat but same bridge)!

kdm1218 likes this.
  6. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Hot dang! Man that’s incredible they were able to expand it to 11 loops. Absolutely nuts!!

So say I have 3 delays and each with only do its particular subdivision. In terms of tempo, if I split the RJM’s outs and fed each delay (assuming the NO/NC was correct for each pedal) then it should in theory work okay? How hard is it to change BPM for a particular song in a preset?

7. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

Changing tempo for a song is simple through the editor. Doing so on the fly through the setup menu requires a little too much menu diving for my tastes, but it's easy enough. The tricky bit is in how it handles sub-divisions. It can do one subdivision for all MIDI pedals, and another for all (up to 2) pedals connected to a function jack. If you want more division beyond that, then you need to set up the pedal to do its own subdivisions.

In the end, while it is perfectly usable for basic applications, I was needing to change tempo enough on the fly that I decided to make the switch to using the Selah Quartz for tempo duties on the new board. It's much more adept at handling tempo changes on the fly, plus it can do different subdivisions for every pedal. In addition, since I got a V3, I can use it to forward MIDI data from the PBC through two of its TRS jacks (which will be handy when I eventually pick up the Jackson Audio Bloom V2).

8. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I'd agree with the others that it might just take some more dialing in. Sansamp is a classic piece of gear that professionals way better than me absolutely rely on, so this is one of the cases where I'm not sure 'replace it with a boutique such-and-such' is the answer. (I've recently taken to avoiding the P&W Bassist group on Facebook specifically because any time someone asks for a recommendation, the suggestions quickly go down a weird rabbit hole of insisting you need some handmade $1000 preamp or your bass will never sound good.)

I also use the VT Bass DI and have for four years now. I like it enough that I convinced my last church to buy one, so that the bass players other than me could use it too.

I'm not sure how much the VT differs from the regular Sansamp - two of the controls are different, including the Character knob that I use a lot on the VT - but typically I keep the treble cranked up pretty far and the Drive knob at at least 10 o'clock, which helps it have some grit and personality instead of being muddy and boomy.

If all else fails, I have heard good things about running a bass through an HX Stomp or something. It seems like overkill to me to get something that expensive and powerful just to use as a bass DI but if somebody already had one I'd definitely be curious to try it. Atomic just (finally) added a bass amp to the Amplifire - an Ampeg model - so an Ampli-Firebox would also not be out of the question if you wanted to do the modeling thing. I can't vouch for that one yet, I downloaded it to my Amplifire but haven't plugged my bass into it for a test run yet.

In my experience, running a DI or Sansamp is way more the norm for a live bass than mic'ing a bass cab, so as much as I love guitar amp modeling it's not the first place my mind would go for a bass, but... it does probably sound good.

9. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I personally run the drive at about 1 o clock, but I run the blend at about noon, to bring some of the clean low end back in. I have the bass cut a little, the treble about noon, and the mids boosted a bit (about 1 o clock)

MattLeFevers and dmutter like this.
  10. jtwguitar

jtwguitar Member

Thanks for the quick responses. We have the sansamp BDDI pedal DI, not the VTI. Will spend some more time with it in the coming Sundays working with our bassists. It looks like there are some people who definitely prefer the VTI over the BDDI, but agree is sounds like we should be able to get some usable tones out of the BDDI....

MattLeFevers likes this.
  11. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

When I first started going to my church they still used a bass amp running an XLR output on-stage but now he uses the Sansamp Bass Driver DI straight to the snake via XLR.

Only 2 of us guitarists (there are 6 total in rotation now) go direct and both of us use Helix Floor models. The other guitarists still mic their amps backstage. When myself and the other Helix user play the only thing not going direct are the drums so that's nice.

12. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

10's, but string gauge doesn't matter tonally (SRV used 13's and Billy Gibbons uses 8's and both sound phat).

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  13. Zack.LW

Zack.LW Member

TFW your name has been up on the KOT list for months and you haven’t received an email and all emails to mike are ignored

boyce89976 likes this.
  14. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

I ordered a Beano Boost on 4/24 and just got it yesterday.

Zack.LW and JokeSmuggler like this.
  15. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Significant differences in sound with the bass amp versus the sansamp? Just wondering cause we also have a bass amp with XLR out but space wise it might be nice to have it off the stage. I know one bass player wouldn’t care at all, and the other is using a Digitech RP something for effects that he used solo before this bass amp was in the picture. It belongs to someone who doesn’t play in the rotation anymore due to life stuff but has just left it there for the others to continue using it.

16. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

Guys! Any ideas for a studio desk on the cheap? I’ve seen a few ikea builds on the interwebz but thought I’d check here first. I have a spare bedroom I’m going to be making into a more complete studio room. Nothing fancy but just want a nice clean desk to rest my laptop on. Planning to get monitor stands for my krk’s. Suggestions are appreciated

17. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Personally I thought our active Radial DI sounded way better than the old 100 watt Crate 1x15 we had on stage ever did.

kdm1218 likes this.
  18. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I'll be honest, I cannot notice a difference in sound at all. Maybe that would be a better question for our bass players because they may the only ones who can notice any subtle changes. FWIW the church bought the Sansamp and also a volume pedal, tuner and Big Muff on a pedalboard so it's the church's. We put the bass amp (which was a really, REALLY nice Ampeg) in storage. I know this because I brought it to the storage unit :). The joys of owning a pickup truck!

MattLeFevers and kdm1218 like this.
  19. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I don’t even know what the bass amp is. It may be an Ampeg but that could 100% be my imagination/bias cause that’s really the only bass amp company I think of immediately. I figure like you @crambone i wouldn’t notice a difference, but certainly would be a question in the end for the bass guys. It sure would be easier for when we occasionally travel a team though... that alone could be worth the little investment even if the big one stays on the stage.

MoonshineMan and crambone like this.
  20. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

There's a lot of overlap from guitar amp brands. Fender, Orange, Blackstar, Peavey, Vox, and Roland all do. Then you've got more "bass-specific" brands like Ampeg, Ashdown, Hartke, and Gallien-Krueger.

kdm1218 likes this.