P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

hahahaha, hadn't even noticed. I had actually just swapped out the knobs on it for black ones before I mounted it and had them in the full off position to try and line them up properly(same with the DRV actually). Hadn't readjusted them before I took the picture. I'm definitely digging the new pedals though.

boyce89976 and dmutter like this.
  2. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

@kdm1218 has it correct. Pulling the glitz reverb through stomp patch using FS2. Toggling high/low mix. Nemesis is on the end of chain to give more preset options and to stack delays with FS3. Honesty, thinking of putting additional reverb pedal at end of chain to give more ambient reverb options. Got to be careful though. All that delay and reverb in the wrong places leaves this little boy’s tone lost in the wilderness. We’ll see.

dmutter and 04andrew22 like this.
  3. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I’ve currently settled on analog comp, klone, and rat (interchangeable spot with a couple other minis) into VP into Stomp patches that use two delays and two verbs. One delay before and one after the amp, both reverbs after so it doesn’t get muddy. Then an amp+cab block and a final whatever I feel like throwing in there mod effect. I’m liking it a lot this way. If we have a decent recording to share from this upcoming Sunday I’ll try to post a little clip, although most of the set that is planned is all going to be rhythm playing for me.

4. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

You have this on a metro 24, correct?

5. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I think it would depend on who’s gonna play, what songs you’re gonna do, and how you want to structure it.
    I like to have some really simple songs (2 chord songs are perfect for this stuff) so that if “it starts happening”, we can just hang out right there with very little prompting across the stage. With 2 hours to play with, there aren’t any time constraints for each song. We don’t even necessarily have a firm set list.
    I won’t lie: a little jam band experience goes a long way, here.
    We might get together for a few hours on Wed or Thu to pick songs, figure out the stage and run through them for Friday night.

I think the most important things would be picking simple songs that everyone knows and using musicians that can follow the leader without needing a song arrangement.

This being said, we don’t use click or IEM’s, no talkback mic, no silent stage. We’re pretty straight forward, with amps on stage and wedge monitors with one mono mix. For the first one, we don’t even have a soundguy.

lemonman, 04andrew22 and kdm1218 like this.
  6. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

The 66,666 post was about helix.

Just sayin’.

flatulentmatt, Kluch, cjm254 and 10 others like this.
  7. dmutter

dmutter Member

Metro 20. I know cause I have the same board and I am always wondering how she squeezes so much onto hers!

kdm1218 and Pax like this.
  8. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Technically it was about a YouTube channel that features the Helix, but nice try :banana

9. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Yeah.
    Helix.
    It’s de deb’l.
    But “technically” to your heart’s content.

Kluch, cjm254, PianoMan and 3 others like this.
  10. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

People wearing shoes on their hands. Hamburgers eating people.

11. kdm1218

Haha, yep. EBS golds, time spent on pedalplayground, and generally good organizational and visual/spatial skills ;) @dmutter you have a pretty tight Metro 20 layout as well though. Small boards with a clean layout are one of my favorite guitar things.

littleNUKE393, roxtc and dmutter like this.
  12. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

This is awesome, and these kind of nights are my absolute favorite both to play for and worship at. As a musician, I feel the free-flowing nature of nights like this allow for really cool opportunities to improvise and express worship through playing in ways that a normal timed/cue'd/click track'd service has a tendency to inhibit. Having musicians you can trust to be prepared and follow whatever flow the spirit is moving in is obviously important. But when you have that crew who are all in sync together, it can be such a beautiful thing. And as a worshipper, it's so beneficial to have a change in "environment" in the same way, to be able to have more space and time away from distractions and time constrictions of a normal Sunday service and more easily focus/meditate on the words you're singing.

Needless to say I'm a BIG fan of nights like this and hope it goes well for you guys!

MoonshineMan likes this.
  13. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Played Alt 98.7's festival this past weekend in Long Beach with Shaed, K.Flay, The Interrupters, Grouplove, Cold War Kids, Phantogram, The Head and the Heart, Walk the Moon, Of Monsters and Men, and us.

[​IMG]

Not huge but festivals are always hot, sweaty, and fun, and it's cool to see fans who came to the headliners show up for the festivals too. It's kind of funny, when we play these smaller festivals, these relatively smaller bands mostly use tube amps and pedals, but at the bigger festivals with bigger bands, there's a much higher percentage of digital units.

Not as many Helix units as Fractal/Kemper, but Helix is under 4 years old and I guess it's taking awhile to change Line 6's poor reputation from the PODs. However it's apparently becoming really popular in the Nashville/country world. Blake Shelton's band and Dan & Shay's band were using them at CMAFest...

[​IMG]

Have a couple weeks off now so this weekend I'm flying up to Portland to play at Willamette and doing their camp during the week. One of the guys there is one of my Helix converts so instead of bringing my own rig I'll just load up the song presets I've been building for the week onto his unit. Digital definitely makes traveling easier.

I've also released a few things since that Kemper tone match clip...

For this one I tracked both guitars, my buddy tracked bass, (both Helix of course) and another guy tracked drums. Some great Zeppelin-style riffs and vintage amp tones in this tune.

Finally got around to updating my AC30 preset which I've been wanting to do for awhile. This one has an AC30 on one side and an AC15 on the other. I really like these tones.

This one has an AC30 on one side and one of the new tweed models on the other. The new amps and pedals in 2.8 are very good.

Yeah, 2.8 was a full rewrite of the architecture so that all products in the Helix family run on what is called "Helix Core." Apparently this will allow them to code new features once and have them apply to all the units, rather than having to write separate code for each individual unit.

So as a result of this overhaul there were a few minor but annoying bugs in the initial 2.8 release, and 2.81 addresses many of those. There are still some other minor ones but those will be addressed in 2.82.

Yep, any controller (midi, footswitches, snapshots) can control any parameter. Really useful on the Stomp where DSP is limited. Toggling the level parameter on the output block for a clean boost, toggling the mix up and down from 0 to whatever on a tremolo block to sum a dual cab block to mono, etc.

For me the most useful thing about the IR number being a parameter is that using pedal edit mode, you can audition different IRs by incrementing through all the IR slots with your feet, while playing.

2048 is just longer and the additional length only contains reflections. For me it's not worth it. This thread has a ton of useful info if you're interested in getting into the details.

This won't blow up your headphones, but you will likely just get sound in one ear unless your last pedal has a headphone output, which is unlikely. Assuming your last pedal is a standard reverb pedal, you'll be better off running the output of your last pedal straight into an interface (or through a DI first), and using the headphone output on your interface. Then when you play live just run straight out of your last pedal into a DI to FOH. Personally I'd mount the DI directly on my board so it's ready to go.

Bass and I are considering downsizing from the floor units to Stomps on pt-nanos for when we fly, and we'll mount the little Radial SB-2 DIs on the boards.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Chance, viden, He_Ma and 7 others like this.
  14. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Neat! You'll be pretty close to me then.

crambone likes this.
  15. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Good stuff man. Those patches sound really great -- awesome job! I stumbled across your channel when I was initially researching the Helix/Stomp and you almost had me convinced to go full Helix instead of building up my pedalboard again. I have no doubt that I would be completely happy with my sounds going that route, but ultimately, I decided I enjoyed the pedal hunt a little too much. Pairing my own drive section and one more additional experimental/"special sauce" type pedal with the Stomp's wet FX and amp/IR has been the perfect balance of convenience and fun for me!

-Empire and kdm1218 like this.
  16. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I hope you like waiting.

17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

18. cjm254

cjm254 Member

I have some IRs that I got with the MBritt preset pack. I use those a lot.

[​IMG]

We don't really have the capability to run stereo where I play, so I sum to Mono. The signal chain is Philosopher's Tone > Double Barrel > VP > Stomp > FOH
    The Julia, Alter Ego, and Blue sky are in the Loop of the Stomp. The Tuner is out of the VP. Two button for flexibility, and DMC Micro for switching.

I'd fight you if you weren't MomStrong... That's a no win situation..., so yes, just like soccer, but with knives on your feet. :cool:

Like everyone in Michigan, I also lived in Chicago for two years after college...

I just downloaded some of Alex's patches. The Colony House patch is about to be my new base tone. Man is it HUGE. I started playing it earlier and both of my boys slowly drifted in to my office, and asked about the preset... and expressed their love for it. But they both love Colony House.

I sometimes play a patch that is just Stomp contained - no external pedal (except VP). Lately I have been using the dual amp setup, so I depend on the Double Barrel for the drive section. And when I need swells and more ambience I use the loop.I find it to be very versatile. I find it sounds better going to FOH than the amp in the iso box used by the other EG. At least, it always fits the sound of the song we're playing. I still love amps, but this way I get to choose the amp I play in each song.

-Empire, papersun, NHBluesMan and 4 others like this.
  19. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Very nice setup. Funnily enough, I was browsing Alex's site, too, after his comment above and grabbed the Bethel preset to experiment with a dual-amp setup. The Colony House patch was probably the only one I didn't listen to clips of and man it does sound sweet. He also has a /13 preset up there that I realized uses the very same IR I'm using with my setup -- got it to go with the Worship Tutorials Matchless patch, but to my ears the /13 just sounded better than the Matchless so I feel somewhat validated now :)

cjm254 and dmutter like this.
  20. kdm1218

I actually know basic rules of hockey from a Brett Hull Hockey ‘97, or something like that, computer game I bought for like $2 in middle school. Probably can’t define the ins and outs of different penalties, and I never could quite figure out icing when it would get called in the game. But I had some dynasty level teams with the Penguins on that game, with Lemieux and Jagr and probably not a single name my brother and I ever pronounced right back then.

And I also went to an Avs game once when I was visiting a friend in Denver. So basically I’m pretty knowledgeable for an average female.

dmutter likes this.