P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I have quite a range, actually.
    You may not suspect it from my online persona, but I sang Eternal Flame to my friend for his 50th bday.

Memphis, boyce89976 and flatulentmatt like this.
  2. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

Man... people at our church connect with the song on another level and listening while reading the lyrics gets me choked up every time. In short, I feel the opposite way you feel about it. haha

3. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

The Reverend Warhawk or Jetstream 390 sound right up your alley, or maybe even the Double Agent. Bass contour knob on those could help if you want more control over your pickups. I don't know everyone/their setups in here as well yet as it seems others of you do so not sure if this suggestion is worthwhile based on what you've tried in the past. Any P90 would probably get you there, but I just love reverend dearly so never waste an opportunity to throw them out there.

MoonshineMan likes this.
  4. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

:agree

5. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

I think that you should maybe try Les Paul with P90s first to see if it does what you need,. I'm all about P90s, but P90s are can still be quite hot and have some low end too..

kdm1218 and MoonshineMan like this.
  6. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Hot with some low end.... how I likes my mixes and how I likes my women

7. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Love that model. I've been working on an update to my /13 preset the last few days. Added the Dr. Z amp in stereo so I'm calling it the "boutique" preset. Tracked this the other day with it; one track for lead, one for rhythm, no double tracking or post processing, direct into Logic with Helix's USB. Need to record some more demos for a full video. This is the full Helix version but I'll put out a Stomp version with the amps/cabs and maybe a drive or reverb.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro8456r64ogj3mk/2019-09-09 See a Victory.m4a?dl=0

Yep, it's a rat, so it's easy to make it sound bad i.e. too much gain. But used as a lead boost set to lower gain, the rat is excellent. Personally I would not spend $250+ when you can get a used rat for under $50, especially when, as a bunch of people have said on the last few pages, the nuances of different drives don't come through in FOH anyway.

You could easily just go Stomp > wet SA pedals > mono/stereo DI > FOH (or put the wet effects in stomp's loop) without sacrificing any flexibility. Definitely add a 2 button aux footswitch or DMC micro for the Stomp, and maybe the tuner up front.

Running the Stomp before your wet effects (or putting them in the Stomp's loop after the amp/cab) kind of makes it unnecessary to have a bunch of expensive overdrives since you can just toggle the amp drive up and down with a footswitch and then use a klon/rat/rangemaster/ts/etc model to boost the amp(s) for leads.

It also lets you get a nice stereo image from your wet effects in your ears without being constrained by the "pedals into clean amp" analog paradigm.

Planetshakers. Great plexi tones. I've done a bunch of their stuff on my channel, always fun to step away from the the dotted 8th AC30 monotony.

same...

8. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Our worship leader has tried convincing me and my wife a few times on how deep the lyrics are, and we still don’t buy into their explanation at least. Our congregation has some pretty rowdy people that get into a number of other songs we do, but that one is not one of them.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  9. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

You just couldn't resist commenting that when I left clear opening for it :D I have two brothers so I should know better than that to watch my words :)

littleNUKE393 and MoonshineMan like this.
  10. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Looking forward to listening to this later and hearing more! I've never quite been able to dial in the Dr. Z to my liking.

11. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

I got lost - what song do people love and hate (at least that is currently being discussed lol)?

kingrazor likes this.
  12. travis_38

Deep? I dunno... never went to Bible school. Moving? Definitely.

04andrew22 likes this.
  13. travis_38

We are talking about this incredibly shallow and dull song:

14. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Lol. So pithy.

15. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Deep, moving either works for what I was referring to.

Pump the breaks there dude, if you like it that’s fine, I said there was nothing wrong with that, me and most of my church don’t seem to care for it. My opinion, not trying to sway you one way or another.

I can’t speak for the congregation’s opinion on the lyrics, but I think the reason they don’t get into it is because the setup for the climax of the song takes so long, that by the time of finally gets there, they’ve lost the connection. That’s how I see it anyway.

16. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

We've never done So Will I as an actual worship song. We did it once as a "special" song with everyone seated. I liked it in that context. We did the acoustic version.

17. travis_38

It just triggered me that your critique of a song that has been really powerful for me was so matter-of-fact and then I took the "deep" thing personally which was probably not your intent. My bad.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  18. dmutter

dmutter Member

It is a powerful song. I have only found a spot for it in a set once though. It is incredibly wordy, which is great as a listener but not as easy for singing along to. For me that limits it's use in most settings I find myself leading, though it is absolutely beautiful.

flatulentmatt, kdm1218 and 04andrew22 like this.
  19. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Yeah, all my drive pedals are shaking in their boots. I'll probably use my MIDI controller instead of an external footswitch for extra control of the Stomp. I haven't set up the loop yet, but that was the next item on the agenda to try messing with after i had a grasp on the basic controls.

-Empire and kdm1218 like this.
  20. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

So my steal of the week:

Got my hands on a Rockboard Quad 4.2 the other day (well, I don't have it yet, it's in another part of the country and I'll be picking it up when I visit there in November). Guy put it on TradeMe (our local version of Ebay) on a $1 reserve auction. I popped in 5 minutes before the auction finished and put a bid on, not expecting to win.

$50 (US). Seriously. Apparently when my dad picked it up (my folks live in the area, so it made sense) the guy was a bit salty at what a good deal I got. Usually $1 reserve auctions skyrocket in the last hour or so as they have quite high visibility, but just goes to show selling music gear at the moment is a bit of a crapshoot.

I'm really stoked actually, because I've been looking for one of these for a good price for a while. It's a bit smaller and lighter than my PT-PRO, and will allow for a much more ergonomic and tidy layout because of the lack of the stupid massive slat gaps on Pedaltrains.

Pax, kdm1218 and 04andrew22 like this.