• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

kingrazor

We've never done So Will I as an actual worship song. We did it once as a "special" song with everyone seated. I liked it in that context. We did the acoustic version.

travis_38

Silver Supporting Member
Deep, moving either works for what I was referring to.

Pump the breaks there dude, if you like it that’s fine, I said there was nothing wrong with that, me and most of my church don’t seem to care for it. My opinion, not trying to sway you one way or another.

I can’t speak for the congregation’s opinion on the lyrics, but I think the reason they don’t get into it is because the setup for the climax of the song takes so long, that by the time of finally gets there, they’ve lost the connection. That’s how I see it anyway.
It just triggered me that your critique of a song that has been really powerful for me was so matter-of-fact and then I took the "deep" thing personally which was probably not your intent. My bad.

dmutter

It is a powerful song. I have only found a spot for it in a set once though. It is incredibly wordy, which is great as a listener but not as easy for singing along to. For me that limits it's use in most settings I find myself leading, though it is absolutely beautiful.

You could easily just go Stomp > wet SA pedals > mono/stereo DI > FOH (or put the wet effects in stomp's loop) without sacrificing any flexibility. Definitely add a 2 button aux footswitch or DMC micro for the Stomp, and maybe the tuner up front.

Running the Stomp before your wet effects (or putting them in the Stomp's loop after the amp/cab) kind of makes it unnecessary to have a bunch of expensive overdrives since you can just toggle the amp drive up and down with a footswitch and then use a klon/rat/rangemaster/ts/etc model to boost the amp(s) for leads.

It also lets you get a nice stereo image from your wet effects in your ears without being constrained by the "pedals into clean amp" analog paradigm.
Yeah, all my drive pedals are shaking in their boots. I'll probably use my MIDI controller instead of an external footswitch for extra control of the Stomp. I haven't set up the loop yet, but that was the next item on the agenda to try messing with after i had a grasp on the basic controls.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
So my steal of the week:

Got my hands on a Rockboard Quad 4.2 the other day (well, I don't have it yet, it's in another part of the country and I'll be picking it up when I visit there in November). Guy put it on TradeMe (our local version of Ebay) on a $1 reserve auction. I popped in 5 minutes before the auction finished and put a bid on, not expecting to win.

$50 (US). Seriously. Apparently when my dad picked it up (my folks live in the area, so it made sense) the guy was a bit salty at what a good deal I got. Usually $1 reserve auctions skyrocket in the last hour or so as they have quite high visibility, but just goes to show selling music gear at the moment is a bit of a crapshoot.

I'm really stoked actually, because I've been looking for one of these for a good price for a while. It's a bit smaller and lighter than my PT-PRO, and will allow for a much more ergonomic and tidy layout because of the lack of the stupid massive slat gaps on Pedaltrains.

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member
So my steal of the week:

Got my hands on a Rockboard Quad 4.2 the other day (well, I don't have it yet, it's in another part of the country and I'll be picking it up when I visit there in November). Guy put it on TradeMe (our local version of Ebay) on a $1 reserve auction. I popped in 5 minutes before the auction finished and put a bid on, not expecting to win.

$50 (US). Seriously. Apparently when my dad picked it up (my folks live in the area, so it made sense) the guy was a bit salty at what a good deal I got. Usually $1 reserve auctions skyrocket in the last hour or so as they have quite high visibility, but just goes to show selling music gear at the moment is a bit of a crapshoot.

I'm really stoked actually, because I've been looking for one of these for a good price for a while. It's a bit smaller and lighter than my PT-PRO, and will allow for a much more ergonomic and tidy layout because of the lack of the stupid massive slat gaps on Pedaltrains.
Wow, awesome deal!

mandomatt

you can just toggle the amp drive up and down with a footswitch and then use a klon/rat/rangemaster/ts/etc model to boost the amp(s) for leads.
I think a feature people are overlooking on the Helix family (especially the stomp) for this. It #1 lets you use badass amp drive which IMO is often better or at least as good as a drive #2 allows you several ways for clean boosts providing exact real time level control with a few switches on the LT or floor (adjusting cab levels, amp level, overall dB and other ways). These tricks seem much easier live with digital than analogue gear and are super super practical. Also Alex you talk about these in your videos and it’s very helpful. People are sleeping on amp drive and pure volume boosts.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
If you bought a pedal off Reverb and it arrived in original box and padded inside, but just wrapped in brown paper outside, would you ding on feedback? It works, or at least LED lights up, but my little is having a refuse all naps day so I most likely won’t be plugging it in to test for sure tonight.

Reactions: Pax

MoonshineMan

If you bought a pedal off Reverb and it arrived in original box and padded inside, but just wrapped in brown paper outside, would you ding on feedback? It works, or at least LED lights up, but my little is having a refuse all naps day so I most likely won’t be plugging it in to test for sure tonight.
I wouldn’t care if they put a stamp on the pedal itself, if it works as advertised.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
Nah. I have no issues people shipping pedals like that, as long as it's well packed inside the box.

dmutter

Coresounds/Pads

For those that use pads ( @MattLeFevers I am looking at you) what do you like to use/what corespunds bundle do you find sits well in a band mix? I often play without keys but have 2 guitars bass and drums. I think i may invest in some good pad tracks.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
...will allow for a much more ergonomic and tidy layout because of the lack of the stupid massive slat gaps on Pedaltrains.
Hate the PT gaps!

I think a feature people are overlooking on the Helix family (especially the stomp) for this. It #1 lets you use badass amp drive which IMO is often better or at least as good as a drive #2 allows you several ways for clean boosts providing exact real time level control with a few switches on the LT or floor (adjusting cab levels, amp level, overall dB and other ways). These tricks seem much easier live with digital than analogue gear and are super super practical. Also Alex you talk about these in your videos and it’s very helpful. People are sleeping on amp drive and pure volume boosts.
I toggle amp drive all the time on HSX. Did it for yesterday’s service. Alex already had it set up in a patch I purchased. Great feature.

Not ideal. I wouldn’t ship it that way, but as long as it works and no damage on outside of pedal I’d be fine with it.

Coresounds/Pads

For those that use pads ( @MattLeFevers I am looking at you) what do you like to use/what corespunds bundle do you find sits well in a band mix? I often play without keys but have 2 guitars bass and drums. I think i may invest in some good pad tracks.
Downloaded mine for free. I couldn’t tell you if they’re the “best”, but the congregation and my WL like them. They’re Soundboard. You can pay to upgrade to the Studio set if you desire.

Last edited:

MattLeFevers

Coresounds/Pads

I bought the Standard Bundle. There are others available and I’ve toyed with them but there doesn’t seem to be anything I need that the standard bundle doesn’t cover.

I have our whole church catalog saved as individual songs in their Pads Live app, it helps a lot to match the different pads to the vibe of each song. I have my go-tos by now: there’s a pad called Organ Drone that sounds great on more acoustic stuff like Rend Collective, Matt Maher, or “No Longer Slaves”, and then for really shiny upbeat songs like “Your Love Awakens Me” I use the Sparkle one, whatever it’s called. Anything really ambient and contemplative gets either Guitar Sky or Ambient Rhodes. I end up using all of them pretty often except for this one really synthy choral one called Angel Anthem that’s a bit too extra for most applications.

I also bought a minor key pack a while ago but only for extremely special use cases. Most minor key church songs are more ... minor-7... sounding, where a major pad still sounds appropriate over it. The actual minor pads are only for incredibly moody stuff like “O Come O Come Emmanuel”, that really never lightens up.

If you download their Pads Live app you can demo all of them in D, if you want to play around with it. Even though I have a bunch of the pads I’ll take advantage of that feature and will swap in a new pad I don’t own if we do a song in D.

powermatt99

If packed well and the pedal arrives with no damage, no issues. I'll ship pedals this way if there is enough room for proper padding inside the box. I'm not a tree hugger but I can't see creating extra waste if I don't have to.

mandomatt

Hate the PT gaps!
I toggle amp drive all the time on HSX. Did it for yesterday’s service. Alex already had it set up in a patch I purchased. Great feature.
Yeah it's a major advantage of Helix. On my Vibrolux Reverb I have to turn to ???loud??? to get it to breakup. With Helix, tap. Done. I mean, contrast that button click with building an isolation booth and micing it and blah blah blah....... passssssssssssssssssssss.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
If packed well and the pedal arrives with no damage, no issues. I'll ship pedals this way if there is enough room for proper padding inside the box. I'm not a tree hugger but I can't see creating extra waste if I don't have to.
I’m not sure I’d call it packed well. It had some random tissue paper under/around the pedal and one of those cheesy fake hawaiian leis over the top of the knobs. But it’s working so whatever. I guess I just don’t believe in packing things that way even for a used sale cause I don’t trust the shippers. And I sure wouldn’t be happy if I bought it from a retailer and it didn’t at least come in a padded envelope.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
It is one of my favorites but it is a little more complex than a standard PDUB song.
I’ll be honest, I just flat out don’t like the song, its boring to play, there’s not a whole lot of dynamic range for either instruments or vocals, at times, the lyrics just seem to be blurted out without much thought in the writing and what they’re trying to say. I won’t push any further as I’m sure im encroaching on the line.

If you guys like it, I can’t say your wrong cuz your not, I just feel there’s not a lot to the song to justify its length. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some stairway, but this song is NOT stairway!
Man... people at our church connect with the song on another level and listening while reading the lyrics gets me choked up every time. In short, I feel the opposite way you feel about it. haha
We are talking about this incredibly shallow and dull song:

IMO, Probably lyrically one of the best songs ever written (at least in CCM).

“In the vapor of your breath the planets formed” I mean, c’mon, are you kidding me?!?!!

I also love that it’s more old school Hillsong.

Go to 16:35... this was from our Camp Share service about 2 weeks after camp. Brad doesn't hold anything back on this song.

Last edited:

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member
IMO, Probably lyrically one of the best songs ever written (at least in CCM).

“In the vapor of your breath the planets formed” I mean, c’mon, are you kidding me?!?!!

I also love that it’s more old school Hillsong.

Go to 16:35... this was from our Camp Share service about 2 weeks after camp. Brad doesn't hold anything back on this song.
Wow! Doesn't get any better than that-- you guys sounded phenomenal. Super powerful at the end with the baptisms too, sheesh! I was just trying to check the thread real quick before bed, not spend a half hour happy-crying man, c'mon! :rotflmao

Trending Topics