P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Starbuck :spit

MoonshineMan likes this.
  2. Kylote

Kylote Member

I agree with the consensus... I love the song 100 Billion X, but didn’t work great as a congregational song for us.

One of my favorites lyrically for sure.

3. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

I’m the old guy playing the Strat and the Novo. I wish I was the young Hispanic guy... he’s a monster player and has a great accent. Haha

More like their older stuff... especially the United version with John Houston singing.

Exactly!

4. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Serious question...are we allowed to talk about the effectiveness of the individual components (given that that includes religious content) versus the whole?

I agree that is a great line, but in terms of the composition as a whole, the aggregate it doesn't come over successfully to some people. To some, the beauty of the ideas and/or the way they are expressed trumps any musical shortcomings, to others, the shortcomings trump the lyrical considerations. I think this is true of most any music with lyrics, sacred or secular.

I don't dislike the song and have no desire to bash it, I just know I won't enjoy memorizing much of it should it come to that.

Gibs210 likes this.
  5. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

This is where my mind goes when I hear old school hillsong. This and shout to the lord

6. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Wow, that backdrop!!!

This feels so hmm...boomer friendly, but I know anything Hillsong in the past five years will eventually be eligible for mockery from a post-hipster point of view if it isn't already.

7. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I agree that it's not congregational in the traditional sense of being something easy to latch onto for the goals of inclusion, participation, and lyrics that can be remembered fairly easily which are essentially teaching the gospel and bible verses to the church.

The lyrics are definitely more complex than that (or artistic some might say), and don't really pull direct verses from the Bible anywhere that I'm aware of, and instead focus on concepts and ideas.

I do think the musical composition matches the lyrics pretty well, and I don't think it would work well to have it get any more bombastic than it does, and it certainly gets plenty sparse on the low end of the dynamics in my opinion as well.

We've only done it once with the congregation as a special on a special night worship service (not a Sunday morning). It was extremely powerful, and the people in attendance were very engaged and singing despite the inaccessibility of the lyrics. Definitely not the most exciting song to just play, but that didn't really matter in the moment for us.

Definitely agree, though that people generally (myself included) either end up liking songs due to lyrics or composition and generally lean towards one or the other when forming their opinions. I generally prefer music with a more interesting musical approach, but this song is an exception for me. It certainly is much simpler on that front than even more other P&W music, but I feel that at least that matches what the lyrics are saying and that what they say is powerful enough to stand on its own in the context of whole song.

I think it would even be nice for part of it to just be read out loud as part of service.

I won't go into why I like the lyrics so much as I think that would probably be out of bounds for TGP rules, but I think there are more than a few lines that really hit home.

boyce89976 likes this.
  8. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Right? This song already felt dated when we were singing it in church in the mid to late 90s. back when they made fun of me for using a delay pedal like... at all.

kdm1218, kingrazor and ThinPaperWings like this.
  9. boyce89976

Well said and I completely agree with your assessment of the song. I prefer the United version with John Houston singing because the arrangement is a little more interesting instrumentally, while staying true to the original female version's dynamics.

Lyrically, I love the concepts in the first verse and chorus especially. Those were "WOW" moments for me when I first heard the song (while rehearsing for camp), and really hit home for me. I still can't get through the song without tearing up, especially after playing it 3 times in 4 nights at camp... each time was something special.

I'd love to continue this discussion over on the Facebook page. DM me your email if you'd like to get invited to the group.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/682084505640039/

10. Kylote

Kylote Member

I could see it working during a worship night. Sunday morning where we don't have any special lighting or anything is probably some of the reason it didn't stick for us. Our service is mainly a traditional service where we do modern music, but really everything else with our format is traditional. Seems like our congregation likes traditional services but without the hymns.

vibrostrat43 and lemonman like this.
  11. boyce89976

Ok, that's REALLY old school! hahaha

04andrew22 and btjguitarman like this.
  12. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

My old church is still singing those kinds of songs. I sang that stuff back in high school & college. That's 1996-2004.

13. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I should add that around 2007/2008 there was a woman who would frequently approach the new worship pastor and say 'Brother 'X' (name withheld), you have to do Shout to the Lord,' (she was the only one who called him 'Brother X'). And he'd say maybe, and then tell the team after she left that we were in no circumstances doing Shout to the Lord.

14. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

We did that song all the time when I first came to my church in the early 2000s. Also songs like this:

Desperad0, crambone and kdm1218 like this.
  15. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Wait, that means there was actually an electric guitar though. So that’s something. I seriously don’t think there was an electric player in the bands that would lead campus services through the student ministry at my Baptist university, and that was 2003-2006. And one iteration had a girl I eventually roomed with actually playing a grand piano instead of a keyboard. There were drums though.

Church music has come far for us to be debating about lyrics and arrangement of So Will I, versus songs like this, Trading My Sorrows, etc. Whether your church uses/likes a song or not, I think we’d all be able to agree that within the broader CCM genre there’s a lot more room for artistry than there once was.

ThinPaperWings and Playpunk like this.
  16. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

My current church is still singing some of those songs :D I usually try to have one oldie but goldie in each service, one new song and spread the rest in that maybe 25 year span.. And that 25 is only if we don't count those old hymns that we also occasionally do. Luckily Elevation has done some nice versions of hymns, so it's easy to loan those.

We have arranged some songs to something totally different. We used to play Kings of Leon Notion chords and riff (E-major based) on top of one traditional P&W song in Finland which has verses C#m-A-E-B like million other songs and. Some slow songs can be played fast and vice versa and they work really well too and get totally different vibe, but this is rare though. We also had little bit of modal interchange in old classic breathe. Re-arrangements for win with boring old songs..

17. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I play songs that are 20yrs old all the time.
    Same reason I still like Zep.

18. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

yes lord yes lord yes yes lord

kdm1218, lemonman, Pax and 3 others like this.
  19. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Forgot to share my rig from the weekend

[​IMG]

Really enjoyed it! So far the sound guy and the 3 drummers I've played with using this rig have told me they prefer the amps. How much of that is psychological, how much of that is loud amps on stage I'm not sure but interesting regardless! Also worth noting they mentioned my tone was as close to perfect as they've ever heard with the Kemper but they like how raw the amps sound.

Chance, Playpunk, crambone and 7 others like this.
  20. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

“I really like this section of Isaiah as a song, but I need a chorus. Yes Lord! Done!”