P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Desperad0

My nearly 3 month break from playing electric guitar finally ends this weekend! Apparently it had to be an acoustic Summer, and for the most part I enjoyed switching things up. Good thing the next month is jammed full of lead electric playing though.
This weekend I play at a church that prefers a silent stage so I will be using my HX Stomp for my amp, delay, and reverb while using my Double Barrel for overdrive and Tone Press for comp. It is my maiden voyage with just the Stomp, so it feels weird bit I am sure it will be great.
I'm interested to hear how that goes with the Stomp. I've been starting to lean towards utilizing mine that way (comp + drives into stomp, then use stomp for amps + wet fx).

What church are you at in Ontario?

dmutter

I'm interested to hear how that goes with the Stomp. I've been starting to lean towards utilizing mine that way (comp + drives into stomp, then use stomp for amps + wet fx).

What church are you at in Ontario?
I owned the Stomp once before and sold it about 6 months back. At that point I was using the comp and drives in the stomp with my own delay/verb. I am much happier with it this way. I don't love the comps in the stomp. They probably arent bad, but I find it easier to get a setting I like on my comp. I will report back for sure.

I live in Cambridge, home church is Plattsville EMC. This weekend I am serving up in Stouffville. My wife and I lead a travel team of sorts, so we find ourselves around Ontario some. Where are you in Hamilton?

Kluch

So this Sunday will be the first Sunday in a couple of years that I'll be playing for a worship service. I'll be on electric but also leading some songs vocally (always an interesting combo). One of the songs we're doing is 'Praise Him Forever' by Tomlin. Had never heard it before I saw it scheduled.
Anyone playing this one? Seems like a fun, upbeat, high energy type of song.

04andrew22

Supporting Member
My nearly 3 month break from playing electric guitar finally ends this weekend! Apparently it had to be an acoustic Summer, and for the most part I enjoyed switching things up. Good thing the next month is jammed full of lead electric playing though.
This weekend I play at a church that prefers a silent stage so I will be using my HX Stomp for my amp, delay, and reverb while using my Double Barrel for overdrive and Tone Press for comp. It is my maiden voyage with just the Stomp, so it feels weird bit I am sure it will be great.
You're going to love it! Let us know how it goes.

This reminds me I meant to mention that I used stomp mode instead of snapshot mode this weekend. I know I'm probably late to the game but after some research learned about "stompshots" which are a revelation to me, especially since I wanted access to the tuner from FS3 and have migrated my reverb to external pedals (and also didn't need 3 totally different snapshots like I have in weeks past). So FS1 toggled between a light and heavy delay, FS2 toggled my FX loop w/Specular Tempus & Dispatch Master on/off for dry tone if I needed it, and FS3 to tap/tuner. Worked out really well, and such a small thing but was nice being able to see the tempo indicator light flashing on FS3 especially since I had my Tempus sending tempo to the stomp. Want to dig in more to figure out more uses -- would love to hear if and how any of you are using this FS layout!

This reminds me I meant to mention that I used stomp mode instead of snapshot mode this weekend. I know I'm probably late to the game but after some research learned about "stompshots" which are a revelation to me, especially since I wanted access to the tuner from FS3 and have migrated my reverb to external pedals (and also didn't need 3 totally different snapshots like I have in weeks past). So FS1 toggled between a light and heavy delay, FS2 toggled my FX loop w/Specular Tempus & Dispatch Master on/off for dry tone if I needed it, and FS3 to tap/tuner. Worked out really well, and such a small thing but was nice being able to see the tempo indicator light flashing on FS3 especially since I had my Tempus sending tempo to the stomp. Want to dig in more to figure out more uses -- would love to hear if and how any of you are using this FS layout!
Being new to the Hx Stomp, I haven't come across stompshots. Please enlighten me.

Desperad0

I owned the Stomp once before and sold it about 6 months back. At that point I was using the comp and drives in the stomp with my own delay/verb. I am much happier with it this way. I don't love the comps in the stomp. They probably arent bad, but I find it easier to get a setting I like on my comp. I will report back for sure.

I live in Cambridge, home church is Plattsville EMC. This weekend I am serving up in Stouffville. My wife and I lead a travel team of sorts, so we find ourselves around Ontario some. Where are you in Hamilton?
That's cool!

I'm at a church called Kingsview Community Church. I've been attending there about 3 years now. Moderately sized church, around 350 weekly attendees and growing. It's got a solid community, pastoral staff is great and leading a really strong vision.

Last edited:
One of the songs we're doing is 'Praise Him Forever' by Tomlin. Had never heard it before I saw it scheduled.
My wife and I love that song. I charted it out and added it to Planning Center for future use but we haven't actually debuted it yet.

Very fun, happy, accessible song that still has some lyrical depth. It's like an update of the "All Creatures" hymn (and/or Psalm 148) but made catchy.

I have a bit that I do where I sing the words to "Awesome Is The Lord Most High" over that one, because they sound really similar to each other, but I am only mocking it affectionately. We're big Tomlin fans in our household.

mandomatt

So this Sunday will be the first Sunday in a couple of years that I'll be playing for a worship service. I'll be on electric but also leading some songs vocally (always an interesting combo). One of the songs we're doing is 'Praise Him Forever' by Tomlin. Had never heard it before I saw it scheduled.
Good luck man! I am back playing for 1 now year after a decade away... enjoy the feels as they happen!

04andrew22

Supporting Member
Being new to the Hx Stomp, I haven't come across stompshots. Please enlighten me.
So I am still figuring out the limitations of this setup so people can correct me where I'm off, but basically in stomp mode, the basic use case might be to assign 1 effect to a FS to toggle the bypass to turn it on and off, just like you would a normal stompbox. Maybe one for clean/dirty, or one for delay on/off, etc. However, using "stompshots" you have the ability to take the functionality even further and assign those FS to toggle between min/max values for any number of parameters for the FX in your signal chain.

So, say you want to toggle between a basic rhythm sound and a swell sound. I can assign the delay and reverb mix and feedback/decay to be controlled by FS1. Then for my delay mix and reverb mix I can set minimum values for each of ~20% for my rhythm sound, and max values of ~50% for my swell sound; for my delay feedback and reverb decay I can set a min values for each of ~30% for my rhythm sound and max values of ~75% for my swell sound. You have the ability to customize the min/max values for each effect individually -- I just grouped the mins and maxes for my delay and reverb here for simplicity's sake. When I tap FS1 it will toggle between the min and max values I set up for each parameter. One limitation though, I believe, is that you can only assign a parameter to a single FS.

It's useful for people who want semi-snapshot functionality but still need access to the tap/tuner button on FS3. Or in use cases like mine where I'm really only using the stomp for delay and amp/IR modeling, and don't really change amp settings at all in a live environment, so simply assigning delay mix/feedback and maybe subdivision to FS is all I really need.

That all being said, I do think there needs to be functionality added to access tuner with a long press of a FS in snapshot mode, and tap indicator light to flash on one of your snapshot FS would be nice, too. But using stompshots is a good enough workaround for me in the meantime. Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense or if there's anything I can clarify further! Like I said, I'm still kinda figuring it out too so more seasoned Stomp users can chime in if I'm misinforming at all.

kdm1218

Supporting Member
I do this as well. Really great cause it lets me stack some delays/verbs that I could never do with just a single traditional pedal.

I am doing a similar type idea. FS1 triggers a second delay and increases feedback of my “standard” one, for swells. FS2 increases my reverb decay and mix for a wetter lead and also works good for the swells. FS3 the flashing tap cause I also prefer that visual feedback. Then my DMC Micro has FS4 as amp gain and FS5 as output level for a clean boost, and I get LEDs indicating on/off for both of those with that controller versus just the plain aux switch. It’s a powerful, powerful setup that way

He already described it pretty good by the time I got around to responding, but I’ll add it’s not an “official” term you’d see in a manual. Basically using one switch to control any number of parameters and/or bypass effects, but still in Stomp mode instead of the Snapshot mode. The main benefits are the tap light indicator, and access to 5 total FS if you have an aux switch instead of just the 3 on the unit.

In snapshot mode you can still use an aux switch for an FS4&5 function, but it can’t be assigned to the same effect that a snapshot is assigned to control something with.

We're big Tomlin fans in our household.
I just came across a late 90s Passion video yesterday on YouTube while looking up an old song, and Tomlin totally has that college WL vibe. That and the 90s style clothes in the crowd shots made me smile.

dmutter

That's cool!

I'm at a church called Kingsview Community Church. I've been attending there about 3 years now. Moderately sized church, around 350 weekly attendees and growing. It's got a solid community, pastoral staff is great and leading a really strong vision.
Cool man! Maybe one day we will cross paths.

04andrew22

Supporting Member
I do this as well. Really great cause it lets me stack some delays/verbs that I could never do with just a single traditional pedal.

I am doing a similar type idea. FS1 triggers a second delay and increases feedback of my “standard” one, for swells. FS2 increases my reverb decay and mix for a wetter lead and also works good for the swells. FS3 the flashing tap cause I also prefer that visual feedback. Then my DMC Micro has FS4 as amp gain and FS5 as output level for a clean boost, and I get LEDs indicating on/off for both of those with that controller versus just the plain aux switch. It’s a powerful, powerful setup that way
Love it, sounds like a really smart setup!

Kluch

My wife and I love that song. I charted it out and added it to Planning Center for future use but we haven't actually debuted it yet.

Very fun, happy, accessible song that still has some lyrical depth. It's like an update of the "All Creatures" hymn (and/or Psalm 148) but made catchy.

I have a bit that I do where I sing the words to "Awesome Is The Lord Most High" over that one, because they sound really similar to each other, but I am only mocking it affectionately. We're big Tomlin fans in our household.
Now that you mention it, it definitely has an "Awesome is the Lord Most High" vibe.

crambone

That's cool!

Your avatar owns!

So unless I can find it cheaper, I’m looking to add a loaded HSS pickguard. Obviously I play worship but also indie/alt rock. The guitar is a cheap Affinity Strat so I’m not looking to spend much. What Seymour Duncan pickups should I be looking at? Stratosphere has a loaded American Performer pickguard for $179...are those any good?

Romanowe

Supporting Member
The bridge pickup is fantastic... mid push, and loose feeling. The neck pickup is great, but just a tad dark for my tastes. I got some different magnets from Throbak (that's the pickups in it) that should brighten it up.

Are Throbak's in the Rivolta?
Still sounds great, looking forward to more clips with the new setup! Are you continuing to run your drives at the same level as your clean tone?

boyce89976

Silver Supporting Member
Still sounds great, looking forward to more clips with the new setup! Are you continuing to run your drives at the same level as your clean tone?
Thanks dude! Yeah, I am. First gain stage is slightly below unity and the 2nd might get back to unity. The 3rd is a pretty healthy boost. Ever since doing that, the stream mix has improved considerably. I guess I was the problem, hahaha!

ebenezer

Silver Supporting Member
So I’m in for a Sunday and 4 practices with this guy. It’s an amazing sounding amp. I know I’m bucking every Pdub trend as it’s not a Helix or some AC30 variant, but I’m really digging it. I’m surprised that I prefer the “Brown” channel (bright Brownface Deluxe channel), as opposed to the “British” channel (JMP 50 voiced channel). I’m finding that if I pick the amount of most amount of gain I want in the amp, then just adjust my guitar volume to the song and dynamics, it works really well. Anyways what’s all this talk worth without pics!

dmutter

He already described it pretty good by the time I got around to responding, but I’ll add it’s not an “official” term you’d see in a manual. Basically using one switch to control any number of parameters and/or bypass effects, but still in Stomp mode instead of the Snapshot mode. The main benefits are the tap light indicator, and access to 5 total FS if you have an aux switch instead of just the 3 on the unit.

In snapshot mode you can still use an aux switch for an FS4&5 function, but it can’t be assigned to the same effect that a snapshot is assigned to control something with.

I just came across a late 90s Passion video yesterday on YouTube while looking up an old song, and Tomlin totally has that college WL vibe. That and the 90s style clothes in the crowd shots made me smile.
So are you exclusively using the DMC Micro now and no 2-button Aux?

kdm1218

Supporting Member
Thanks dude! Yeah, I am. First gain stage is slightly below unity and the 2nd might get back to unity. The 3rd is a pretty healthy boost. Ever since doing that, the stream mix has improved considerably. I guess I was the problem, hahaha!
This is so interesting to me that this works well. Refresh me as to why the guy y’all brought in said he does it this way/why it works? I think when you first shared about it I was one who said it wouldn’t work with most of our sound techs, and I’d still maintain that for my crew. But it would be interesting to play both ways in a mix with a sound tech who was very good and experienced and hear their feedback.

So are you exclusively using the DMC Micro now and no 2-button Aux?
Correct. Right long press switches me between preset scrolling and the FS4/5 functions. I’ll probably stick either my black secret or jhs trem in that open space cause why not.