P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. mandomatt

mandomatt Member

Good luck man! I am back playing for 1 now year after a decade away... enjoy the feels as they happen!

Kluch and kdm1218 like this.
  2. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

So I am still figuring out the limitations of this setup so people can correct me where I'm off, but basically in stomp mode, the basic use case might be to assign 1 effect to a FS to toggle the bypass to turn it on and off, just like you would a normal stompbox. Maybe one for clean/dirty, or one for delay on/off, etc. However, using "stompshots" you have the ability to take the functionality even further and assign those FS to toggle between min/max values for any number of parameters for the FX in your signal chain.

So, say you want to toggle between a basic rhythm sound and a swell sound. I can assign the delay and reverb mix and feedback/decay to be controlled by FS1. Then for my delay mix and reverb mix I can set minimum values for each of ~20% for my rhythm sound, and max values of ~50% for my swell sound; for my delay feedback and reverb decay I can set a min values for each of ~30% for my rhythm sound and max values of ~75% for my swell sound. You have the ability to customize the min/max values for each effect individually -- I just grouped the mins and maxes for my delay and reverb here for simplicity's sake. When I tap FS1 it will toggle between the min and max values I set up for each parameter. One limitation though, I believe, is that you can only assign a parameter to a single FS.

It's useful for people who want semi-snapshot functionality but still need access to the tap/tuner button on FS3. Or in use cases like mine where I'm really only using the stomp for delay and amp/IR modeling, and don't really change amp settings at all in a live environment, so simply assigning delay mix/feedback and maybe subdivision to FS is all I really need.

That all being said, I do think there needs to be functionality added to access tuner with a long press of a FS in snapshot mode, and tap indicator light to flash on one of your snapshot FS would be nice, too. But using stompshots is a good enough workaround for me in the meantime. Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense or if there's anything I can clarify further! Like I said, I'm still kinda figuring it out too so more seasoned Stomp users can chime in if I'm misinforming at all.

StickyWicket520 likes this.
  3. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I do this as well. Really great cause it lets me stack some delays/verbs that I could never do with just a single traditional pedal.

I am doing a similar type idea. FS1 triggers a second delay and increases feedback of my “standard” one, for swells. FS2 increases my reverb decay and mix for a wetter lead and also works good for the swells. FS3 the flashing tap cause I also prefer that visual feedback. Then my DMC Micro has FS4 as amp gain and FS5 as output level for a clean boost, and I get LEDs indicating on/off for both of those with that controller versus just the plain aux switch. It’s a powerful, powerful setup that way

He already described it pretty good by the time I got around to responding, but I’ll add it’s not an “official” term you’d see in a manual. Basically using one switch to control any number of parameters and/or bypass effects, but still in Stomp mode instead of the Snapshot mode. The main benefits are the tap light indicator, and access to 5 total FS if you have an aux switch instead of just the 3 on the unit.

In snapshot mode you can still use an aux switch for an FS4&5 function, but it can’t be assigned to the same effect that a snapshot is assigned to control something with.

I just came across a late 90s Passion video yesterday on YouTube while looking up an old song, and Tomlin totally has that college WL vibe. That and the 90s style clothes in the crowd shots made me smile.

4. dmutter

dmutter Member

Cool man! Maybe one day we will cross paths.

5. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Love it, sounds like a really smart setup!

kdm1218 likes this.
  6. Kluch

Kluch Member

Now that you mention it, it definitely has an "Awesome is the Lord Most High" vibe.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  7. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Your avatar owns!

8. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

So unless I can find it cheaper, I’m looking to add a loaded HSS pickguard. Obviously I play worship but also indie/alt rock. The guitar is a cheap Affinity Strat so I’m not looking to spend much. What Seymour Duncan pickups should I be looking at? Stratosphere has a loaded American Performer pickguard for $179...are those any good?

9. Romanowe

Romanowe Supporting Member

Still sounds great, looking forward to more clips with the new setup! Are you continuing to run your drives at the same level as your clean tone?

boyce89976 likes this.
  10. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks dude! Yeah, I am. First gain stage is slightly below unity and the 2nd might get back to unity. The 3rd is a pretty healthy boost. Ever since doing that, the stream mix has improved considerably. I guess I was the problem, hahaha!

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  11. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

So I’m in for a Sunday and 4 practices with this guy. It’s an amazing sounding amp. I know I’m bucking every Pdub trend as it’s not a Helix or some AC30 variant, but I’m really digging it. I’m surprised that I prefer the “Brown” channel (bright Brownface Deluxe channel), as opposed to the “British” channel (JMP 50 voiced channel). I’m finding that if I pick the amount of most amount of gain I want in the amp, then just adjust my guitar volume to the song and dynamics, it works really well. Anyways what’s all this talk worth without pics!
    [​IMG]

12. dmutter

dmutter Member

So are you exclusively using the DMC Micro now and no 2-button Aux?

13. kdm1218

This is so interesting to me that this works well. Refresh me as to why the guy y’all brought in said he does it this way/why it works? I think when you first shared about it I was one who said it wouldn’t work with most of our sound techs, and I’d still maintain that for my crew. But it would be interesting to play both ways in a mix with a sound tech who was very good and experienced and hear their feedback.

Correct. Right long press switches me between preset scrolling and the FS4/5 functions. I’ll probably stick either my black secret or jhs trem in that open space cause why not.

cjm254, dmutter and boyce89976 like this.
  14. boyce89976

There's a couple reasons Tyler does it this way. One, is so his clean tone can punch through the mix a little better. The other is for better dynamics on his overdrive tones.

I promise you, most of our guys are no better than yours. I truly believe that doing it the way I'm doing it has made it so they don't have to think about. When I sound check I only give them my first two stages, so basically unity with the clean amp tone. My 3rd stage is the Centura set to clean boost (pretty healthy boost at that), but I only use that for leads, or really HUGE parts. If I'm only punching through on leads, or just maintaining my space when the band is at it's biggest moment, then they have no reason to touch my fader once they set my level within the mix.

kdm1218, JokeSmuggler and dmutter like this.
  15. cjm254

cjm254 Member

I have to do some reprogramming - this would work so well for me. Maybe this weekend I'll have some time to figure it out. I am finding that with my rig set the way it is, I'm not using the snapshots so much. FS4/5 and scrolling is all I need...

dmutter and kdm1218 like this.
  16. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

@kdm1218 can you please post your most recent board pic? I went back a few pages to see where you made the switch from the Aux and couldn't find it.

dmutter and kdm1218 like this.
  17. kdm1218

I don’t have a way to even try it with my current setup and patches but it would be interesting. I have base amp gain that I can roll my volume back to clean up, amp gain up switch which I mostly use for a thicker rhythm section, klone for typical lead parts, and can stack those two for something huge.

Yeah I’ll try to remember to when I get a chance. I don’t play electric again until the end of the month so it may be a little bit, unless I get a chance to get it out in between. Those are sparse these days though.

crambone likes this.
  18. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

I'm formally requesting @boyce89976 to post his again, as well, because 1) I don't think I've seen it yet(?) 2) the gear in his sig looks sick and 3) we all know sounds amazing based on the clips posted!

19. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

Sounds like my kind of amp! I'm gonna look that company up now, though I'm not sure I'll have the funds for several years to make something like that happen.

ebenezer likes this.
  20. boyce89976

Wow, thanks dude! Here you go, this is the most current pic I have! The DRV replaced the DelMar last week, but I also want to try it in place of the 808, so that may happen this weekend. We have a big worship night Sunday night.
    [​IMG]

roxtc, Chance, crambone and 7 others like this.