1. The target date for the upgrade is this Tuesday, August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

There's a couple reasons Tyler does it this way. One, is so his clean tone can punch through the mix a little better. The other is for better dynamics on his overdrive tones.

I promise you, most of our guys are no better than yours. I truly believe that doing it the way I'm doing it has made it so they don't have to think about. When I sound check I only give them my first two stages, so basically unity with the clean amp tone. My 3rd stage is the Centura set to clean boost (pretty healthy boost at that), but I only use that for leads, or really HUGE parts. If I'm only punching through on leads, or just maintaining my space when the band is at it's biggest moment, then they have no reason to touch my fader once they set my level within the mix.

2. cjm254

cjm254 Member

I have to do some reprogramming - this would work so well for me. Maybe this weekend I'll have some time to figure it out. I am finding that with my rig set the way it is, I'm not using the snapshots so much. FS4/5 and scrolling is all I need...

dmutter and kdm1218 like this.
  3. crambone

crambone Member

@kdm1218 can you please post your most recent board pic? I went back a few pages to see where you made the switch from the Aux and couldn't find it.

dmutter and kdm1218 like this.
  4. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I don’t have a way to even try it with my current setup and patches but it would be interesting. I have base amp gain that I can roll my volume back to clean up, amp gain up switch which I mostly use for a thicker rhythm section, klone for typical lead parts, and can stack those two for something huge.

Yeah I’ll try to remember to when I get a chance. I don’t play electric again until the end of the month so it may be a little bit, unless I get a chance to get it out in between. Those are sparse these days though.

crambone likes this.
  5. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Supporting Member

I'm formally requesting @boyce89976 to post his again, as well, because 1) I don't think I've seen it yet(?) 2) the gear in his sig looks sick and 3) we all know sounds amazing based on the clips posted!

6. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Member

Sounds like my kind of amp! I'm gonna look that company up now, though I'm not sure I'll have the funds for several years to make something like that happen.

ebenezer likes this.
  7. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, thanks dude! Here you go, this is the most current pic I have! The DRV replaced the DelMar last week, but I also want to try it in place of the 808, so that may happen this weekend. We have a big worship night Sunday night.
    [​IMG]

Ribby1, roxtc, Chance and 8 others like this.
  8. dmutter

dmutter Member

Does anybody have experience with the Keeley Red Dirt (or mini)? I am curious about the mini as a small format TS option. Do I need it? No. But this is TGP after all.

boyce89976 likes this.
  9. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Supporting Member

:drool

Just beautiful!

boyce89976 likes this.
  10. kdm1218

@crambone got one after all during a nap window ;)

I’ll slide the DMC Micro over to the far left and then trem will go on between it and the VP. Chain is comp-klone-chorus-trem coming-vp-stomp.

-Empire, Chance, 04andrew22 and 5 others like this.
  11. kdm1218

Also if anyone can explain to me how to just straight upload from imgur using the image tool instead of media, and do that from the app? I can only find a link that works for the image uploads if I’m on my laptop, which is basically never.

12. Kluch

Kluch Member

Not the mini, but I owned the larger version for a while (in the past).

dmutter likes this.
  13. jlane11

jlane11 Supporting Member

We did something interesting this week and played "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz. My playing is a little sloppy.. Spent too much time practicing the solo and tore up my fingertip! Ended up not being able to play what I practiced.. oops.

Here's a more typical P&W song/tone that we also played this week

And here's my most recent pedalboard. I threw the superbolt in front of everything for "Are You Gonna Go My Way." It's not a fuzz, but it does the raggedy classic rock thing pretty well. I went from pedals and an amp, to the Helix, and settled back on a pedals + HX Stomp rig. I enjoy the workflow and modularity of a pedalboard much more than Helix, so this has been a great compromise.

14. dmutter

dmutter Member

And? What ya think?

15. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

This sounds great man! Love the verb sounds in Won't Stop Now. FOH has you mixed super wide!

16. jlane11

Thanks! that BigSky... It's just so good

crambone likes this.
  17. crambone

crambone Member

My uncle used to live in Bondurant. Small world!

18. Kluch

Kluch Member

It was a good drive. Nice and refined sounding. Truth be told I've never owned an original ibanez TS so I can't tell you how they would compare, but it had a good amount of drive on tap. I ultimately sold it because I could get my WF rat reissue to sound very similar to it at low gain and the rat was a more versatile drive. They both had a mid-range thing going I liked. I used it for medium gain and it did a nice job, not sure what else to say on that note.

dmutter likes this.
  19. jlane11

Yes, it is! We’re from CA, but moved to the Midwest for my wife’s education.

crambone likes this.
  20. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I've owned the mini for about a year. It was $89 used in mint condition from CME. I was nostalgic for the early/mid-2000s when Wampler was IndyGuitarist and Keeley was talking about building his first pedal (after establishing himself as a modder.). I'd never bought a Keeley modded pedal back then and thought 'why wouldn't I want a TS-mini on hand?'

It sounds like a TS - bass cut, mid push. Mostly I've used to to push other drives, Catalinbread DLS Mk II, Roger Mayer Spitfire-X (flat mids distortion-ey fuzz) and Mongoose (Rat-ish). Red Dirt volume up, gain down, it tightens up other dirt nicely.

There's not as much volume as I expected (though there's enough). All the 'new modes' available via internal dipswitches were not terribly distinguishable from each other. I have not played with it at a gig but I'm sure it'd do just fine for any TS work.

dmutter likes this.