P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

The Volante has been my main delay for about 4 months. It's amazing, if you don't like dirty delay this is not the pedal for you tho. The video that pedal show did on the Volante has been my experience thus far. I don't have a midi controller atm so I'm only using two settings. Probably the last pedal I'd take off my board, anything Kingsley are the only other things with that luxury on my board, which certainly says something.
    If you can try one I'd recommend it, as it really isn't for everyone.

2. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

Same, down to the wallet. Mod squad wallet, almost 12 years old I think? It’s beginning to show its age. Love their products.

One service down, one to go. Was scheduled for electric, but got moved to sound (me and the drummer are the only band members capable of sliding, so I was the clear choice) so that’s been fun. First time running shy baffles, and it’s made a massive impact on our vocal mics. So much less bleed. Also allowed me to really goose the overheads a bit, and bring some drum clarity into the mix. School gymnasium so it’s a losing battle, at a point, but this was solid steps in the right direction.

3. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Welp.... bye bye electricity.

I swear the power goes out in this neighborhood when it gets cloudy.

boyce89976, Kluch and MoonshineMan like this.
  4. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

We had the power go out once, right after practice (which is 5-10min before church starts), but luckily it’s a small building, and Ryan Delmore lived just across the way. I had him bring all his acoustics over and we did worship acoustically, with some candles. (Saturday night service)
    Lights came back on, right when we finished. I could say more....
    Amazing experience. :)

5. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

It's a good tube screamer, very smooth.

Helix's wet effects' mix controls are true wet/dry mixes. So after 50% it starts lowering your dry signal, useful for running 100% wet in parallel, for example. For church stuff the usable range for me is between 20-33%, higher for the volume swell thing. Increasing the predelay to around 100ms and Cutting out all the lows, like strymon's reverbs, helps you get the washy thing without muddying up your overall sound too much. This is why most of the reverb models have high and low cut parameters built in.

On my most recent preset/video I'm using the ganymede, but that one has a lot of low end and no low cut parameter, so I ran it 100% wet in parallel and ran a high/low cut eq block after it to remove all the low end. My usual Reverb +/- footswitch toggles the decay time, but instead of also toggling the mix parameter up and down, it just toggles the B path level parameter on the merge block up and down, which controls how much of the wet B path signal is mixed into the dry A path.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    viden, Chance, dmutter and 1 other person like this.
  6. papersun

papersun Member

she’s not famous outside of our house :p her high school orchestra won it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Power returned at 9:20 for a 10am service. Fastest rehearsal ever.

8. mandomatt

mandomatt Member

Still
    Counts

dmutter, Playpunk and kdm1218 like this.
  9. Kylote

Kylote Member

Played during all 3 services today (although just 1 song during our traditional services). Fun part is all our services are in different locations (small chapel for our 8:30 traditional, social hall for 9:45 contemporary, sanctuary for 11 traditional) so I could be seen wandering the church with an acoustic and some cables.

It was Youth Sunday and my daughter sang. It all went quite well. Although during our service I thought they muted my mic in the house (youth sing quiet so I still needed to sing so the band knew where we were) or I would have sang farther from the mic. But sound guy at least balanced me well so I didn’t overpower the youth singing. My intent was to only sing to keep everyone in sync but just have the youth heard vocally.

boyce89976 likes this.
  10. cjm254

cjm254 Member

Whenever I think, "I wonder if HX can... ___________?" I should really just think:

"I wonder how Alex... _____________?"

Thanks for all the knowledge you share @-Empire.

11. hobbystuff

hobbystuff Supporting Member

Ooph…. Pre-service rehearsal was rough, worst I've ever been through.. didn't even make it through all the songs. However, the actual service (or what we jokingly called the live rehearsal) went fantastic.

That aside, I have a question for you folks that have some knowledge or experience with sound. Our church bought a Behringer X32 5 years ago and it has performed well. However, two years ago we had issues using the digital snake - the S16 stage box had some components die, it was repaired under warranty but we decided not to use it anymore. So we went back to the wired snake.

Now, within the last month on the X32 we have had a bank of inputs (1-8) die, and one of our outputs (feeding a monitor) has also died. Anyone experience these kinds of issues? The dilemma is as follows: (1) rent an X32 and send ours in for repair, (2) ditch the old X32 and just buy a new one ($2400), or (3) go with something else.

Thoughts, comments, advice?

boyce89976 likes this.
  12. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Ugh. Don’t know. But sound problems suck when you’re in a church that can’t just “throw money at it”, if that makes sense.
    We’re in the process of piecing together a new system out of old stuff.
    Difficult.

13. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

dickjonesify likes this.
  14. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Decent speakers in a good spot for the room is probably the biggest thing we’ve done. Qsc k12’s aren’t too spendy, and that’s what we have.

The x32 is nice, but not necessary, honestly. If it’s $2500 over 5 years, it’s like renting one for 10 bucks a week.

MoonshineMan likes this.
  15. Daniel Jaquith

Daniel Jaquith Supporting Member

Anyone using a Chorus pedal to thicken up their sound?

Thinking about adding a CE-2W to add a little depth to my ambient stuff.

16. Phopper

Phopper Member

The dirtyness of this pedal is the only thing making me want to keep my timeline on the board. Sometimes the delays sound like they are clipping which I don't like at all. Even with the rec knob all the way down, any amount of OD in the signal will distort the delays in a way I don't particularly like. But the stereo spread and the over all layout, SOS and character is really outstanding and I can't make myself pick one.

17. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I have a Mooer Ensemble King that I like to use on ambient stuff, some cleans, etc. I think it’s supposed to be CE2 based.

18. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

Yep, but I run a relatively subtle vibrato pretty often. @dickjonesify is mixing together a recording from last week and I used it a decent amount there so I'll share it when he's done.

In other news NGD for me.

[​IMG]

Never spent any meaningful time with a gretsch besides the electromatic series and this popped up locally so I opted to give it a try. Already have a few people that want to buy it if I don't like it haha.

19. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

:drool Oh Gretsch Falcon, it doesn't get much better than that(if you like Gretschs that is)

MoonshineMan, boyce89976 and yeatzee like this.
  20. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

I hadn't mentioned it in my prior post, but I do also have an HXFX on the same board. I'd say 85 % of my delay needs are covered by the Volante. There are just some songs where it just wouldn't work so cleaner delays are available with the HX.(i do secretly want to try the Empress Echosystem.... I could fit an Echosystem, Reverb and some key mod pedals in the same real-estate of the HX. First world problems)