P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I really like the Magpie side, in fact I'm using it as the main drive for most if not all of the songs we're doing this week.

I mostly bought the Odessa as a two channel independent drive, because I really like a BB type sound and I like the more rocking sound of the Rook with switch down. You could probably set it up to sound great stacked, but that's not what I'm using it for. Both sounds I have set pretty scoopy, and don't really have the occasion to use the Rook in that fashion for this gig yet.

The much maligned Blackbird drive channel is as "meh" as many have said before, but I could see it being good for a midrange heavy syrupy lead boost with the gain low. I may try that for stacking for lead sounds sometime.

flatulentmatt likes this.
  2. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Heh, if our church changed something every time someone left it would be chaos. Things would be changing constantly. Our Pastors learned years ago that you can't please everybody.

3. The Worship Guitarist

The Worship Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

4. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

5. The Worship Guitarist

So I’m kind of stuck in my decision for a new amp. I love the Kemper and would love to buy the powered version. However there are so many amp heads I could buy that are actually real amps and cost hundreds of dollars cheaper. I’ve been looking at the Morgan AC20, Jackson Ampworks Scarlett 30, Matchless heads, Bad Cat heads, etc. Anyone have any suggestions on a great EL84 style head that just beats the Kemper in tone?

REDFIVE likes this.
  6. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Yes cheaper for one head, but not cheaper when you talk about having profiles for all of those amps...

7. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

I am not a fan of the history of Morgan amps, but man the LRS AC20 profiles are amazing. So I’d probably get one of those if I could use a real amp

The Worship Guitarist likes this.
  8. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

I love everything I've played by Bad cat and Matchless so I'd pick one of those IF you need/are allowed to have stage volume and don't use IEMs or have good monitoring on stage. This is also assuming that you don't need the versatility that Kemper brings to the table.

Personally I feel that Kemper/Helix are getting it like 99% there and I prefer options and easy load in so I use my helix at church with just stage wedge. I did play side by side recently my Black Cat vs Helix Matchless c30 profile (circuits really close to each other) that was going through Genelec 8030 pair. They sounded so so close that I bet that no one could tell the difference.

9. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Totally depends on your application! I think others have mentioned, do you need flexibility or can you use the real thing? If you’re like me, you’re happy with one or two amps (I’m not a “tweaker”). I use one or two profiles, most often just one so my kemper is going in favor of an Ox amp top box and my Matchless. Sort of best of both worlds!

10. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I read that list of amps, and see ac30, ac30, ac30, and ac30. I don’t think there’s gonna be a huge tonal difference between any of those amps to make one superior to the others.

11. The Worship Guitarist

Well they’re all going to have different tonal character. Matchless is definitely its own thing, bad cats are just mean sounding. I think I just might go with a Kemper and buy a Matchless after that. Having both would help a ton.

12. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

They’ll all look different I’ll give you that.

I used to think mesas sounded so much better than Marshall’s, and that the recto was a whole different animal from the mark series, after watching a lot of videos lately comparing high gain amps, I’m realizing that the overall difference tonal differences that audible is actually fairly minor, there was some differences, but not as drastic as I thought it’d be. There’s probably a much bigger difference in the feel when playing than what’s heard.

Anymore, I think the differences in amps is nothing worth making a huge deal out of. Especially on amps that are all based off the same circuit.

kingrazor, ThinPaperWings and kdm1218 like this.
  13. The Worship Guitarist

I agree with you! Like you said, it’s more of a feel thing for me.

Gibs210 likes this.
  14. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

Bad cat Black Cat is really close to Matchless c-30 and older models are basically identical. They even have Matchless branded components. Hot Cat By them is probably one that is cabable of "mean" due to huge gain range on second channel.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  15. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I have been playing electric guitar in worship for a long time now and have dabbled in modeling. I have tried a Helix, but have no experience with the Kemper. For my needs and temperament, it doesn’t get any easier than using a real tube amp.

For places that I play were they need a silent stage, I’ve found using a Suhr Reactive Load and a Suhr Ace works well. I also used a Two Notes Cab in the past with IR’s. Both are great and will get u better tone in my opinion than I got with the Helix or any modeler that I’ve tried. I have yet to try the Suhr Reactive Load IR, but I’m sure it sounds great. While the modelers are very good about getting the “sound”, I find they lack the “feel” you get with tubes. I don’t mean to crap on anyone’s setup as there are much better players than I getting amazing tones with modelers, but for my needs it doesn’t work......yet ;)

16. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

Little bit of a change thanks to @PianoMan being rad. The dvp4 that came off might be going up on the market to help fund a Neuro hub next, and that SA tap if it gets me anything... hello more mod.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    04andrew22, Kluch, dmutter and 5 others like this.
  17. mandomatt

mandomatt Member

What is that?

The Worship Guitarist likes this.
  18. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I got to just MD and not have to worry about singing any songs today. That was fun.

MattLeFevers and PianoMan like this.
  19. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

Worship lead and electric last night. Set:

Coming Alive - Grace Vineyard Worship

Here As In Heaven - Elevation Worship
    All Hail King Jesus - Jeremy Riddle
    Reckless Love - Bethel / Cory Asbury
    Good Grace - Hillsong United

mandomatt and kdm1218 like this.
  20. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Just re purchased an empress reverb, which I’ve missed ever since I sold it. That mod mode, and ghost mode...... getting the board back together!