P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I've been following the main thread. I've seen all the 'conventional' demos pop (Sweetwater, Mike Hermans, Source Audio) and the tones sound nice, but I'd like to see ambient stuff done. Also, the last time I checked (2 days ago), the manual was not available - users in the main thread were actually helping with copy editing. Once some time has passed I want answers on whether you can run 2 delays or 2 reverbs at the same time, and whether any 'single' delay algorithm can be multi-tap. Not that I can't ask now, I'd just like to see what people think after it's been out a while and more of the guitar-playing community has experienced it.

We are seeing the market really mature; I'm tempted to divide the whole history of pedals into ages like comic book historians have done with, eh, comic books. Is this the Modern Age? In any case, we are seeing a push toward combo pedals and convenience that is new. Keeley had the workstations a while ago, but now he's got all the 'all you need' combo pedals like the DDR. And Strymon has the Flint, which is another 'combo', but I think we may see more small footprint modeling, 'combo' (this is all you need) pedals. I think you could even put the HX stomp in that category.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    kdm1218 and dmutter like this.
  2. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

I'm actually very interested in this purely for delay, and I may very well do the same thing come Black Friday. I've honestly not been super impressed with the Specular Tempus, and this looks like it would address pretty much all my concerns.

3. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

What's been disappointing you about the Tempus? (Honest question...I don't own one, but have been intrigued by it for a while. Stereo seems really nice on it.)

4. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

you can set it to 2 delays at once or two reverbs. Or you can flip the order by making the delay reverb and reverb delay. If your running stereo, you can have a left and right delay channel, where the right can be set to same rate as left or a number of subdivisions below that. No custom panning of the right channel, so you can’t have multi tap sounds in a mono signal.

kdm1218, ThinPaperWings and Chance like this.
  5. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

So if it's set up to stereo delays as you describe above, using 2 delays requires that one be right and one be left? And then also, no reverb in that scenario?

Since it has stereo I/O, how do delays handle stereo when you are running delay > reverb?

6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Nice, ending the set with a rocking jam!

Pax likes this.
  7. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

Haha, was already working on typing up a review. Here you go:

So I know a while back I said I would give my thoughts on the Specular Tempus once I had a chance to put it through its paces. I think I've played with it enough to do that now. Disclaimer is that I've only played extensively with the delays. I glanced through the reverbs, but not enough to give an opinion.

The good: It sounds great! The engines sound like you would expect. But while the tone is the most important thing, that's pretty much all they had going for them IMO.

The bad:
    - The editor sucks. Hard. It's disorganized, parameter names don't explain themselves very well, poorly handled UI, and its buggy as all get out. Constant preset upload/download errors. It's just frustrating and time-consuming to use.
    - Engines don't always have a lot of tonal variety on their own. There isn't always a tone knob, and when they're there, they're often pretty limited. The Tempus really requires you to use specific engines for specific purposes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what I was hoping for.
    - The dual delay stuff really left a lot to be desired for me. It's set up by default so that one of the delays is mixed higher than the other, but there's no way to change that. Unfortunately that alone makes it much more limited for my uses.

Given all that, the Collider seems like it might meet my needs better.
    - Simple editor (I downloaded it, and I'm impressed at how simple and powerful it is).
    - More standardized controls across the delay engines
    - Full dual delay capability
    - Reverse delay! (I don't use it a lot, but I love it, and the lack of it was one of my biggest gripes about moving to the Specular Tempus).

I'm going to wait for more people to get their hands on it, but I think it's probably going to be a better solution for me in the end. I already checked, and it should fit on my board just fine. I just might have to re-run some cables. Not a big deal.

kdm1218, dmutter and ThinPaperWings like this.
  8. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Thanks man, great review.

That's too bad about the Tempus editor and interface/OS. A lot of that stuff would drive me nuts too.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    PianoMan likes this.
  9. dmutter

dmutter Member

A bad UI for menu diving or preset storage or editing is a major buzz kill. I remember trying to manage my Timefactor with the original H9 software (not sure, but I'm guessing it's been updated since it's original release) and man did it suck. I hated it.

What is most appealing to me about the Collider is that most of everything is right on the pedal. That makes it easier on me to ignore the 'what ifs' and possibilities of that are available with many pedal software's, but inevitably wear me out.

kdm1218, PianoMan and ThinPaperWings like this.
  10. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Good set. Wish I could play “Build My Life” all the time.

I’ve played my SG’s (a Special and a Jr) a few times. I think they’re exempt from the “pointy guitars” thing, although I’ve only brought the Jr once because when I listened to the stream it was straight RAWK. That guitar doesn’t care how much dotted eighth you pile on, the RAWK is coming through.
    I’ve joked a lot with the W/L about bringing a Flying V but I’d probably wouldn’t go through with it because I don’t wanna be a distraction. I mean, more distracting than my guitar faces and awkward stage moves :)

Sometime you just gotta throw caution to the wind. Do it!

caledoneus likes this.
  11. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

If I hadn’t ditched all pedals I would likely be interested. I still prefer the increased flexibility of a full Helix, but a solid delay+reverb with the Stomp would be a pretty solid small combo.

12. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Nope, single delay in stereo gets you 2 taps, dual delay gets you 2 independent delays, each with their own taps (reverse is an exception I’ll explain later, if I remember correctly from nemesis, oil can might not have a second accessible tap, but analog, digital, and tape do). Holding the control input button on the back while adjusting the time knob gives you the variation on the second tap (dotted 8 swing 8, full 8 and 1:1).

Reverse delay on collider is from nemesis, and it’s awesome. Control 2 introduces up to 4 additional taps for some very atmospheric sounds. Couple that with either a second delay engine or reverb and it can get pretty crazy. Really glad the guys decided to include reverse on collider. I mentioned it before, but I’m considering replacing my nemesis with this to act as a dual delay, and occasional extra reverb to back up the ventris. There’s stuff I’ll miss from nemesis but this should be fun!

PianoMan, dmutter and ThinPaperWings like this.
  13. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

So you can potentially have 4 delays taps at the same time or 10 (!) with reverse, using dual delays?

Normally I would not persist with such detailed questions, but since you are part time tech support ;)...

kdm1218, PianoMan and dmutter like this.
  14. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

What do you call it when you can’t stop thinking about amps?

kevindsingleton likes this.
  15. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

Eventually, I call it NAD. :D

16. Kylote

Kylote Member

I think it is pre-relapse if that isn't too many prefixes for one word

MattLeFevers and kdm1218 like this.
  17. Davis Dodds

Davis Dodds Supporting Member

Totally derailing, but...

Who in here plays a TV-Jones- or otherwise Filtertron-equipped Gretsch Penguin? I've been a sucker for the Penguin as a more manageably sized guitar with the Falcon aesthetics, and a buddy of mine has a similar to Penguin-spec Duo Jet that I've gotten along well with. I think a Penguin might be in the cards...who loves or hates theirs?

boyce89976 and thebeebs like this.
  18. mandomatt

mandomatt Member

Are we supposed to h8 them? What inside joke did I miss?

MoonshineMan likes this.
  19. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

I've got an ac10, it's fantastic just used it a couple weeks ago live. Broken in it sounds really good imo, and punches way way above its weight class.

dmutter likes this.
  20. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

I would disagree with a couple of points there:

- The editor: I've been programming it for the last 3 weekends in a row now using solely the editor, and never experienced a single bug or upload / download error. Generally I find the controls well-laid out as well. Where I think it's not well-designed is the non-FX Parameter parts, i.e. preset selection, read / write, etc. Overall, not a great editor, but I don't find it as bad as you. But that's down to taste.
    - The tonal variety: I don't really get this critique - every single reverb (I think with the exception of 1) has a warmth (tone) control, AND a high and low cut parameter. I would say that's plenty of tone shaping. The delays don't have as much control, but I would suggest it's not the best idea to try make a tape delay sound like digital. And instead of high and low cut on the delays, you get full modulation control on every delay engine! Pretty good trade-off, I reckon. There's also the fact that out of the box the reverbs just SOUND GOOD. I had to tweak so much on the Stomp to get decent reverb sounds. With the Tempus, I can just load up an engine and it sounds phenomenal straight away. So I guess I don't feel the need to tweak as much!
    - Dual engines: probably where the Collider really wins out tbh. I misread the manual, and had assumed for example on the Digital + combined engine you could combine the digital delay with any reverb, but it's more simplistic than that. But I also already use a Rubberneck and delays from the Stomp, so this is less of a problem for me.

I have to say though, I am seriously considering the Collider. It's dual processor capability looks amazing. But for me the Specular Tempus sounds SO GOOD, and for me every demo I've heard of the Nemtris have just left me a bit cold really. And at the end of the day, for me it's about tone. But food for thought for sure.

ThinPaperWings likes this.