P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I'll be interested to hear how you think the BigSky compares to the Mercury7. I have both but have never compared them side to side; currently I find I need that preset functionality and the boost/cut that comes with it. I also think the BigSky is easier to tweak. But I love both.

04andrew22 likes this.
  2. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I’ve personally liked all the sounds out of the M7 better than comparable sounds out of the big sky, especially with bigger verbs. With you on tweakability though... the strymon interface is meh but at least there is one. I have no idea what my m7 settings even are anymore.

flatulentmatt and ThinPaperWings like this.
  3. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I got rid of my Bigsky because I only used sounds similar to what I could get from the Mercury7. However I have a MC6 to add the versatility of presets

4. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Ha. I feel that. I do feel I am getting a better grip on switching between reasonable (Ultraplate, no mod) and outrageous (Cathedra, mod + shift) settings that work for me when jamming/practicing, but I've already forgotten all the secondary control functions I was trying to memorize :confused:.

I happen to love the Strymon interface(s) myself. Horses for courses :D.

5. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I remember what the presets are for sure cuz I only have 4. But who even knows where the knobs are set within those presets? The little blinking led maybe?

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  6. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I despise the Meris interface. Unfortunately, the Mercury7 is the best reverb I've played or heard, anywhere, amp/pedal/rack etc. I love the tones, but that interface is:bkw:barf:bitch

boyce89976 and ThinPaperWings like this.
  7. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

I know, I know :cry: It's so tough. The M7 is such a freaking cool sounding pedal and I especially love the tweakability of the pitch settings with the mix and hi/low freq knobs. We'll see, I might end up coming back to it.

Definitely will report back! The main thing I hear people gushing over the M7 about is its crazy wide stereo field that makes it just sound absolutely massive even when compared to other stereo reverbs like the BigSky. Gonna be honest, I am far from experienced when it comes to stereo FX since up until I got my HX stomp a few months ago I exclusively played on a mono rig, but when practicing at home with headphones I did not hear any real perceptible difference in "hugeness" between Cathedra on the M7 and Spatium on the Specular Tempus. I haven't done too much recording yet with the stomp either so haven't been able to really take advantage of the stereo aspect since I sum to mono when playing live (tight on inputs on our stage box).

I'm going to experiment with some different settings making the BigSky my main verb instead Spatium on the ST. Might switch things up and start using the ST more for delays if I really like the strymon. We'll see. I'm also randomly GAS'ing for a DD20 right now, just really miss that modulation setting and haven't been able to dial in the delays on my stomp to match just yet. My try to do so on the ST and use the stomp exlusively for my DI/amp solution. I'm all over the place :facepalm Probably means a board update will be coming soon!

dmutter and ThinPaperWings like this.
  8. cjm254

cjm254 Member

Oh the Lonestar. I use that amp model all the time.

MoonshineMan and kdm1218 like this.
  9. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Yeah, any MIDI device would help managing the Mercury7. It has quite a range of sounds despite having just 2 algorithms, but that's part of what makes it so difficult to master.

Yes, the M7's stereo field is colossal. More movement than the BigSky IMO (though the BigSky can sound huge in stereo especially with delays before it.) I bought the M7 to replace my BlueSky, which I liked fine but thought was a bit plain. I wanted a stereo reverb to pair with the Boss DC-2w for studio recording. Turns out the M7 is doing a lot more with its stereo field than the DC-2w, which ends up being much less dramatic in comparison. Also turns out stereo reverbs (or other effects) don't all handle the stereo aspect the same way, despite 'stereo' I/O:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...efore-processing-can-someone-explain.2083598/

https://www.mrblackpedals.com/blogs...urrounding-so-many-so-called-stereo-processes

10. dmutter

dmutter Member

It's a pretty cool pedal. I tried it out for 15 min at a store. I would love to hear it with my gear. Very easy to use and dial in, great form factor. Most sounds seemed good, but hard to tell for sure without using it in context with the rest of my stuff. It seemed the tape delay was quite bright (I have this feeling about the HX Stomp tape too). I am used to the Nemesis Tape where you can adjust the tone of the repeats.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  11. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Our set this week is all Jesus Culture and Bryan & Katie Torwalt, so it won’t necessarily sound Kunde-esque.

And this is me not caring about that at all.
    :hide

12. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Exactly why I adored mine, could never wrap my head completely around the Timeline -- too many parameters to tweak for my liking and I'm even starting to feel that way about the delays in my HX stomp. Something about the modulation setting on the DD20 just sounds so right to me and so easy to dial in! Also why the Dispatch Master will be a mainstay on my board.

Are you referring to the newer DD-200? It's a lot more reasonably sized than the older 20 which I'm talking about.

13. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Just make sure he doesn't reset it to factory settings so you can share all those presets with us!

14. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Definitely go Roland. They are - as far as I'm concerned - the only game in town for e-drums.

We use a TD-17KV, that's the newest lower-mid-range kit from them. Purportedly it uses the sounds from the TD-50 engine, so it has much better quality samples than the previous Roland kits in that price range had, and some of the included pads are nicer. (The snare in particular is very large. Like, actual acoustic snare drum sized.) We've had it for... six months, ish?... now and are happy with it. I really like the dynamics on the cymbals, in particular - you can ride the crash cymbal tastefully and not just get a series of similar sounding CRASSSSSH'es in a row.

At home I play a souped-up TD-11 that I gradually replaced the pads on with much nicer pads, one at a time. The module/sounds on the 11 are only okay... I don't hate them, and it doesn't do that terrible machine-gun thing on snare rolls that really old modules did, where all the snare triggers were the exact same noise so every snare roll sounded like you were under heavy artillery fire. It has some dynamics and such. But I got tired of the TD-11 module fairly quickly and now I mostly use that kit to trigger Superior Drummer 3 on my computer, and not for its own sounds.

Anyway it's a deep rabbit hole you can go down - if I could boil down six years' experience with this, my takeaways would be:

1. Get a Roland.

2. The module is more important than the pads. With some Reverb/eBay/Facebook Marketplace diligence it's easy to catch a great deal on used pads and upgrade them piecemeal over time, but you're stuck with the module that you buy.

3. Mesh pads are night-and-day better than the dark gray rubber ones, don't get anything that comes with those unless your endgame is to upgrade them in the near future anyway.

4. Newer is better; Roland is always improving the modules. The 17 at my church sounds better than my 11, and the 11 was an indescribable improvement over the 6. Some people are even saying the 17 is better than the 25, so it's not a 'higher numbers equals better' thing exactly, just a question of release year.

5. In my experience the e-kit route is way cheaper than getting a pro quality acoustic kit. My last church decided to go back to acoustic for a while and we spent almost the full sticker price of a Roland kit on just the cymbals. (Zildjian K's, I believe.) Then after less than a year we had to retire it anyway because no matter how tastefully our (professional level, experienced, outrageously talented) drummer played, it was still too loud for everyone. o_O

E-drums are imperfect and occasionally frustrating, but anyone who thinks they're the more expensive option is comparing them to my $500 Pearl Export kit from college or something, not a super legit acoustic kit with good cymbals and hardware. And the last time I played at a church big enough to accommodate an acoustic kit without everybody wincing in pain was seven years ago at a 400+ person church, and people still complained there too. It's complicated.

Pax, dmutter, littleNUKE393 and 4 others like this.
  15. Kylote

Kylote Member

Thanks! Lots of very helpful stuff I will take back to the team. It sounds like if we can swing it, maybe going with the cheapest TD-50 set and then upgrading drums/hardware we don’t like down the line might be the best option... our current kit is all those gray hard rubber pads and we definitely have the machine gun snare going on.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  16. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

I just find this all odd. We have a small (but well dampened room) and a full kit with LV cymbals, with very few complaints.

I will say that we’ve had no complaints at all since I just bumped the mains volume up enough that the kit isn’t punching out.

IMO “volume” complaints are really mixing/eq complaints. People just don’t listen well enough to know that it isn’t too loud, just too harsh, or too bassy, or that the drums aren’t too loud in a cosmic sense, but that they’re burying the vocals.

anyways, that’s my two cents, but I also realized that my friend who set up our drum kit and pa system is pretty exceptional even in the pro sound world. So that helps.

17. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

I updated my pedalboard recently and used it last Sunday morning. As timing would have it, we didn't have an acoustic player so the new compressor came in handy for strumming some cowboy chords on my electric. I also replaced a Tumnus Deluxe with the J Rockett Melody. I've heard an EQ in front of a Keeley BD-2 will produce a reasonable facsimile of the Dumble sound. I'm not sure about that but it sounded good for power chords and chunky rhythm.

[​IMG]

18. Kylote

Kylote Member

I mean we had tons of complaints in a larger, more dampened room with plexiglass shields... I have zero expectation that they’d be cool with them in a smaller, more reflective room. I’d rather not sink thousands of dollars into something I am pretty sure the majority of the congregation is going to complain about when they already enjoy the electronic drums and our drummers don’t mind playing them.

They currently prefer 20 year old electronic drums over acoustic ones, I can only imagine what they’ll think of modern electronic drums.

lemonman and MattLeFevers like this.
  19. dreamingaxe

dreamingaxe Member

Pedalboard updated!

The OD3 is perfect for the gain stage I am looking for.. I did ask a few posts back on what a good dual overdrive would be for this specific purpose but I couldnt find what I liked in terms of tone.. I did try a few.. In the end, I really like the Tim better than everything else..

Theres a noticeable mid hump so I just run it a little brighter than usual to better interact with the Timmy.. The Klone at the end also gives a nice EQ if I run them all together..

The OD3 will be for solos/lead lines... I usually just run the Timmy and Klon if I need to boost my cleans.. and the OD3 will give me the crunch I need.. I am satisfied with this set up for now..

I wish I can find a reasonably priced Tim so I can run the Timmy into the Tim.. LOL..

But anyway, I think the OD3 will stay on my board a little longer.. I'm lazy to re arrange pedals and to wire them all up, now that I have it as clean as I can wire it, I wouldnt like to change anything after spending hours on this one.. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Playing our Middle School/High School service tomorrow night.
    [​IMG]
    Key of 'D' FTW! :roll:rotflmao

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019