P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Kylote

Kylote Member

Well, our bassist (probably the most knowledgeable sound person we have) took some time yesterday at rehearsal to make another scene on our X32 where he basically turned the house up and adjusted all the gains appropriately (strongest signal possible from each source without clipping at the loudest). Now, we'll see if our usual sound guy will use that scene and just adjust individual volume sliders from there, knowing gain and house levels are good.

We were running the house at 1/3 (or -20) previously, with all individual channels maxed and most gain levels probably into clipping.

2. REDFIVE

REDFIVE Supporting Member

WOW! must. resist.

EDIT : Where did you see that Earhart deal for DAG? I looked on their site but didn't see it. Maybe it's sold and gone.

boyce89976 likes this.
  3. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

You're too kind, thanks man! Fixed my signature :aok

boyce89976 and dmutter like this.
  4. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

It was actually good that he woke up, because it was like 6:30pm and He fall asleep 5 pm. He probably would have continued to night sleep phase and woken up like 3 am. Usually he sleeps naps more on the daytime, but yesterday those were interrupted. If it wouldn't have been the case I would have tried it next day. I played way louder than I thought I'm going to play though, because real amps always sound much better when little louder and little louder.

MoonshineMan, kdm1218 and boyce89976 like this.
  5. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Stereo in and outs, price point, lack of menu's/flexibility. Also, I think it sounds great in demos and want to get some $$ out of my KPA/Remote before it gets any more devalued.

I succumbed to the KPA bugaboo almost every time I played, and would spend too much time browsing profiles, building performances, etc. Plus I'm not that great at it. The KPA always sounded good, and who knows, maybe someday I'll come back to it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Kemper come out with a stereo pedalboard box at some point in the next few years, kind of like they came out with the Stage.

I figured I could give the Iridium a try and see how I liked it, and see if it got me more actual time playing and less time messing around. I also like the idea of having stereo delays/reverbs hitting the front of "amps" and felt like the stereo loop in the KPA was a little too clean and clinical.

6. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, it was on their site. Looks like it's already gone... I didn't think it would last long. Bummer! Hoping someone here grabbed it!

REDFIVE likes this.
  7. boyce89976

I'm sure you will, but someone needs to instruct that guy to use that scene, and don't touch the gain unless there is a clipping issue due to a different player, gear change, etc... You may need to show him what it means to clip the inputs. ;)

Kylote and kdm1218 like this.
  8. Daniel Jaquith

Daniel Jaquith Supporting Member

Benson Monarch and a Tyler JT-14 in stereo with cabinets in iso boxes backstage.

{Pure Tonal Bliss}

9. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

Benson Monarch and the best AC30 I've ever had the chance to play (it's an early 90s model). Love the tones I get out of that rig!

10. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Yep, communication 101. WL tells sound tech “this was set this way to improve the sound quality and it’s the baseline we need to use.” End of issue (or should be) right there.

MoonshineMan, Kylote and boyce89976 like this.
  11. boyce89976

I feel like I've joined a club you hear whispers about, but no one is sure how to get in or if it really exists! Kinda like the Skulls at Yale... we secretly hold ALL THE POWER FOR TONEZ! Mwuhahahahahahaha!
    :JAM :dude :rockin

12. TomBombadil

TomBombadil Member

Took this to it's first practice yesterday. HX Stomp was the new addition and I really liked it. Love the amp tones.

Not sure about the limited edition gray, but hey.

Kylote, JokeSmuggler, dmutter and 5 others like this.
  13. Chance

Chance Member

Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla is the best! It is by far my favorite vanilla ice cream, and I have tried so many different brands from ones more expensive to cheaper ones.

JokeSmuggler and kdm1218 like this.
  14. Chance

Chance Member

If I use something besides my Kemper it is generally my Mesa TA-30 or my AC30

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  15. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Living in Oregon, my standard for ice cream is Tillamook.

16. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

amen brother. Chocolate peanut butter all day.

kdm1218 and kingrazor like this.
  17. Daniel Jaquith

Daniel Jaquith Supporting Member

First rule of Benson club, Tell as many people about Benson amps as possible. Chis need to pay his bills!

On that note, have you tried the Benson Preamp pedal yet? Its amazing.

boyce89976 and JokeSmuggler like this.
  18. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

Truth.

I have the preamp on my board. It's really cool - by far the most open feeling/sounding pedal I've ever used! That said, I'm really close to my name coming up on the KOT list, and I think that might take its place. I really like what I've heard of it in Helix, and with a 4-jack mod, I can have one channel programmed for normal use, and one for slightly more compressed/high gain lead/solo lines.

boyce89976 likes this.
  19. Mr Tickle

Mr Tickle Member

Anyone have any experience with a Martin OME?

I've been a Taylor guy for a while and am looking into making the switch over to Martin... I've been uninspired acoustically as of late and think a switch like this might just jolt me out of a rut (or at least i'll tell myself that..)

20. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I'm very drawn to it as well, for every single reason @dmutter listed. I've used an Amplifire 3 for the last few years so I know the AFB sounds are great, but it looks goofy and cheap, and (less shallowly) I really, really just want simplicity. The longer I do the modeling thing, the more I want to never have to plug anything into a computer to adjust it, I want the knobs on the front to correspond 100% to what is happening on the amp at all times, I want no invisible hidden anything to confuse me.

Right now I have a couple Vox presets and one Marshall on the Amplifire and already am somehow in over my head - the dirty Vox preset sounds awesome until I lower the gain (I assume it was pre- and post-EQ'ed specifically to sound good at high gain), the clean Vox preset sounds great until I raise the gain, and right now the Marshall one just sounds bad all the time. I'm certain that last one is user error, there are probably some deep EQ settings on it that are ill-suited to my particular rig, but I have zero time to sit down and troubleshoot that so I just don't use the Marshall at all.

Ever since my kiddo was born, if I get to play maybe one hour of guitar outside of Sunday services, it's a pretty great week. I cannot be diving through menus during that time. I have the Amplifire sounding great right now, but it feels a bit like walking across a river on stepping-stones... I have these specific sounds carved out that are good but I can't touch anything or place my foot outside of the designated safe areas or I'm drowning.

Kinda just hoping the Strymon makes trying out different amps fun again because it'd be pretty hard to mess it up.

I'm very intrigued by the stereo idea, but wouldn't be able to implement it live so I should probably not start messing around with it. A close read of the manual indicates that the "sum to mono" switch on the Iridium is affecting the input, so I guess in that mode I'd just be hitting one amp with twice as much delay and reverb (?). :dunno

viden and JokeSmuggler like this.