P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Same! Have been eyeing these for a while and couldn't pass on that deal. Going to drop them in a epi les paul I inherited from my grandpa so I can start to put some mileage on a guitar that's pretty special to me.

Definitely agree with these descriptions - I've been loving mine as a 2nd stage rhythm OD. The midrange prevents it from getting lost in the mix (don't @me @dmutter :p) and to my ears sounds smoother and less compressed than the other rat variants I've tried (standard proco rat, big box w/lm308, walrus iron horse). Is it really "worth" its hefty price tag? Going to be honest and say probably not, but it just works for me so its gonna stay on my board. :dunno

dmutter, MattLeFevers and boyce89976 like this.
  2. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Member

Some of it is based on a Rat. It blends between that and a preamp designed by 1981 and Jon from Bondi. Excellently tuned for live in my opinion. Quiet switch, nice aesthetic, roadworthy, etc.

04andrew22 and boyce89976 like this.
  3. cra1987

cra1987 Member

I will not deny it’s visual appeal. The one on the site now that’s white with a pink type logo is sweet.

4. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I'd be willing to negotiate even lower than $130, frankly. I just want to get whatever I can for it. I see offers on reverb as haggling basically. Someone offers $130, I counter $140, they offer $135 or something, I say ok. I know most of the time when I make an offer on reverb I'm not expecting them to just accept it. I consider an offer the start of a conversation, not the end of it.

5. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

As my dad always says: Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered

MoonshineMan likes this.
  6. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I'm not sure I get it?

7. cjm254

cjm254 Member

Need the click for that Tamborine 1 position in the band....

kdm1218 and HurricaneJesus like this.
  8. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Oh yeah that switch is almost TOO satisfying to step on.

boyce89976 and JokeSmuggler like this.
  9. brobar

brobar Member

I was off FB most of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so missed these Lambertone deals. I was bummed when I saw I could have grabbed a set of Blondies for 30% off (even saw they had a few sets at 50% off). But then Saturday night before going to bed I just searched for Lambertones in FB marketplace and lo and behold there was a set of Blondies for a great price. I went in with a lower offer (because it never hurts to ask) and ended up getting the set for half off of retail. Score! Going to put them in my Classic Vibe butterscotch blonde. It currently has Cavalier Huge Lion (bridge) and Cavalier Fat Lion King (neck) but they are way too hot for my taste. Love the Cavalier Nashville Lion (bridge) and Lion King (neck) in my other Classic Vibe custom. Really looking forward to seeing how these Lambertone Blondies stack up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

littleNUKE393, Kylote, Pax and 7 others like this.
  10. dmutter

dmutter Member

I know you're just poking fun, but...

Perhaps I mis-communicated the other day. I have a Matchless and play a Tele and use a TS style pedal to boost my leads...so I know how to cut through a mix and understand it's importance (my whole setup is designed to do just that).
    I was attempting to make a statement and start a conversation about the fact it seems there is an over-emphasis on cutting through the mix that is prevalent, and not much conversation about being a part of a mix/supporting the rest of the band and song. Even as a guitarist who plays mostly lead, I am getting annoyed by how 'cutting through the mix' seems to be the focal point of many of these videos I'm seeing. Mature players know how to sit back and support when needed, be attentive to the other parts of their band, and then can punch in and cut through at the right moment.
    I don't begrudge anybody for having killer tone and knowing how poke through in a mix. It was always meant as a comment on the attitude and focus, not anything else.

roxtc, cra1987 and JokeSmuggler like this.
  11. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

From everything I've read, it began as a Rat, got modified and fine tuned along the way, and then somewhere in there an internal voltage pump (?) got added and the drive, tone, and midrange voicing got adjusted. My experience A/Bing it with my own LM308 Rat is that for about half the sweep of the gain knob they sound very, very similar and then after the midway point they're very different. When you crank the drive up on a Rat it turns into a fuzz, and gets woolly and unpredictable (in a way that I really enjoy sometimes but is less useful in my usual context) whereas the DRV is tuned so that the whole way up the drive knob it maintains more clarity and is more restrained.

On the other end of things, it also can't get totally low gain, or at least couldn't in my rig. The preamp section is always active even if the Drive knob is off, so there's always some grit being added. Basically my Rat can go from virtually no gain to a glitchy wall of fuzz and chaos, and the DRV can go from light-medium to heavy-medium.

But yeah that price discrepancy is not nothing, and the relatively subtle differences between the most expensive pedal I've ever bought and one I already had laying around made it hard to justify holding on to the DRV.

100% agree on 'smoother' but I actually thought it sounded more compressed. I was impressed by the DRV in a clinical way but ultimately couldn't bond with it in practice, mostly due to it sounding compressed and midrangey and 'small' to my ears. I really wanted to like it, and I'm glad that others do.

I also have a hard time with Tube Screamers, an industry standard pedal that everyone uses, so take that for what it's worth.

12. John K.

John K. Member

Yeah, I've had a metric ton of life changes in the past year and a half, including getting married, moving, attending a new church, etc.
    Also haven't been playing on a worship team for about as long.
    Definitely shut down my GAS for that time, been mostly playing Helix at home every once in a while.

The new church I am attending has a 6 month minumum before joining the praise team, and I'm about 5 months in now. I may just get in sooner because I have an in, but we'll see. It'll definitely be an adjustment going from WLing the main service to playing guitar for the young adult service, but this is what I prefer anyways.

Didn't think this would happen, but with the release of the Strymon Iridium, Source Audio Collider, and learning that the Jackson Broken Arrow was a thing, I am going back to pedals from Helix. I'm currently in the process of building a new pedalboard around the Iridium. Already sold the Helix and backpack at (slight) profit.
    I already miss the Helix and all of its functionality, but I'm excited to have a pedalboard again. Pedals make me happy, I guess.
    Still waiting on a couple items to come in, but I'll definitely update on here when I'm building.
    Generally when an offer gets declined on Reverb (buying or selling), I just send another offer. Some people are expecting to haggle with you, but some people will just decline immediately if your first offer is lower than they're expecting. I usually just try at first, and then ease off and go closer to what they're wanting, if it's within my threshold.

Gibs210, Pax, MoonshineMan and 7 others like this.
  13. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

Awesome deal! In case anyone else is trying to get in on the action though, I did just see they're offering 20% off on all pickups for cyber monday in addition to free shipping. Which comes out pretty close to the same deal they ran for each of the flash sales.

Definitely just poking fun since I caught myself using that phraseology :) I think everyone understands what you were driving at and I think its a good thought to consider. Beyond the tastefulness factor you describe, though (which is extremely important in our setting), a big portion of how well you sit in the mix is out of your hands and into those of the FOH engineer. That is to say, there's only so much you can do, so I think that's why a lot of guitarists just focus on not getting lost or adding muddiness to the mix. My optimistic take: I think that could be moreso what these players are referring to when they talk about "cutting through the mix." My pessimistic take: after running sound and learning how to mix/EQ for the past 5+ years, I tend to question what percentage of guitarists who use that phrase (even some of these youtube guys) even truly understand the larger context of the full band mix, and feel to a degree its just become a parroted cliche.

I wonder to what degree the surrounding rig and knob settings affect this. I run my drive knob literally a slight touch above "off" and volume around 3 oclock. I feel like it does a great job of just kicking my amp to the next level of gain without compressing too much. With the Iron Horse and other rats I tried, I felt like no matter how mild I had the gain knob set, it always felt too overdriven/compressed.

I do think there's a very slight mid hump with the "klon-esque" tweaks to the circuit that may explain why you aren't a fan of that or tube screamers (which, as I'm sure you know have a much more obvious mid hump). I think if you're judging the tones you're getting solely based off playing by yourself that could be the issue. A full/totally uncompressed/flat EQ'd tone that is pleasing to the ears on its own is not always the best for filling out the appropriate frequencies in the full band mix. Unless your services are recorded and you've heard your tones in the context of the mix and still don't dig the mid-range character of those pedals. If not, this could be part of the issue you have with those pedals :dunno Either way, to each his own!

boyce89976, MattLeFevers and dmutter like this.
  14. dmutter

dmutter Member

I had the same clever idea. Collider comes in today for me, Iridium is on order (sold my HX Stomp to try this combo).

Gibs210, Pax, John K. and 2 others like this.
  15. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

Am in the process for ditching the Kemper for a big old board with an Iridium as the amp sim. I like it very much. You won't be disappointed.

16. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

Yeah that's the thing I didn't even decline their offer, I countered for somewhere in-between their offer and my original listing price. But apparently they weren't up for haggling.

17. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Congrats on getting married! Looking forward to seeing a shot of your new board when you get it all set up.

John K. likes this.
  18. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Totally, yeah. I intentionally waited to get rid of the DRV until after I'd had a chance to use it in a service (which took a while, November having been very much a 'held together with duct tape and sheer willpower' kind of month in which I mostly played acoustic or bass). I actually found those qualities even more frustrating in a live context, which was the deal breaker I think. I could hear myself fine until I kicked on the DRV and then I disappeared under everything else. I wound up mostly not even using it after rehearsal.

I have enough respect for Matt Hoopes (and for Cody Bonnette of As Cities Burn, and the other users on this thread who have one) to one hundred percent chalk it up to it not fitting my personal rig and tastes, and not to consider it a judgment on the device. Definitely a YMMV thing.

I'm doing a whole revamp as well to get the Iridium on my board, but have been quiet about posting until all the other pieces arrive in the mail. It's been a whole project; for a couple weeks now the floor in my home studio has been covered in different-sized patch cables and power splitters and velcro, and I'm on my fourth or fifth PedalPlayground mockup trying to make this all work. ;)

Nick-O, 04andrew22, losrogers and 5 others like this.
  19. John K.

John K. Member

The Iridium is amazing. I love the simplicity of it and how easy it is to dial in a good tone. I tried it at first at a local music store. Didn't love the Chime setting there, but I was playing through some cheap Fender Passport which was the only FR they had available. After getting one at home, the Chime setting is my favorite through my home monitors.
    I definitely am not. This little box is magic haha
    My board will be relatively small (23x13), with some tried and true pedals that I had always liked in the past.
    Yeah, well that happens, too.
    This is the opposite of your case, but I've had sellers decline reasonable offers immediately and then make offers unavailable right after declining mine.
    Thanks!
    And I definitely will. Pretty excited for the build. I realize that one of my favorite part of using pedals was actually putting boards together.

MattLeFevers and kdm1218 like this.
  20. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Nice! Even though your setup was still pretty quick and simple with the AA3 off to the side, there is something really nice and satisfying about literally setting your board down, plugging it in, and done.

MattLeFevers, roxtc and dmutter like this.