P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Anthony Gring

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t know the next time I’ll play mine live either, but scheduled to track a song we are recording later in the spring. That’s likely the next time I play it other than somewhere in there for myself.

Our set this morning was awesome. Best I have played in quite a while as far as just flowing with the team and being loose and not feeling like I had to concentrate hard to stay locked in at some point.

I played the whole set with @yeatzee Brit P75 patch on Helix and did a lot of tone changing with pickup selection this morning. Tone was on point, maybe my favorite Helix tones yet!

Our set was:
Alive in You- Jesus Culture
Goodness of God- Bethel
Praise Will Be My Song- Torwalts
Way Maker- Michael W Smith version
Bless the Lord- Kim Walker version
So nice when that happens......
Been absent. Didn't know you got Helix. Cool !

They are great, for sure. I have two XLR's run in a snake alongside a power cable for my board, so having the magic of balanced line noise cancellation is extremely important. Plus, our stage is extremely noisey EMI/RF-wise. Lifting the ground on an SGI will show you how much noise is actually entering the cable, and likewise how much noise is getting cancelled. The SGI's are invaluable for professional guitar setup solutions.
this. In the pro audio world, we balance everything. I wouldn't dream of using a microphone without a balanced cable, and indeed if you do have cable with a broken wire, it won't pass phantom power even if it still passes audio. It's very unfortunate that the guitar world didn't embrace balanced lines. In my rig, I run balanced out of a wireless into a balanced multiFX unit.
Currently unbalanced out to the amp with a fairly short cable, but I plan long term to get a Radial balanced-unbalanced box mounted in my combo, so I can go balanced back to the amp and a 1 foot cable to the amp.

dmutter

Congrats! Look forward to your comments and observations.
First round with the Collider before work this morning... It was fun. It's a good sign when you get lost in creating music. Don't have it all sorted or dialed in, just enjoyed exploring and making music.
I can already tell I'm returning that El Cap my local shop loaned me to shoot out against the Collider. The El Cap is a one trick pony (a beautiful prize winning pony for sure) and for less money the Collider gets me great tape sounds AND way more options.
I even quickly approximated the Mod reverb from the RV5 I have on loan. It's not perfectly the same, but darn close!
So yeah, I had fun with it and wrote some little progressions but will need some time to settle in on the perfect blend of it's Delay and Verb for live use.

Last edited:

MoonshineMan

this. In the pro audio world, we balance everything. I wouldn't dream of using a microphone without a balanced cable, and indeed if you do have cable with a broken wire, it won't pass phantom power even if it still passes audio. It's very unfortunate that the guitar world didn't embrace balanced lines. In my rig, I run balanced out of a wireless into a balanced multiFX unit.
Currently unbalanced out to the amp with a fairly short cable, but I plan long term to get a Radial balanced-unbalanced box mounted in my combo, so I can go balanced back to the amp and a 1 foot cable to the amp.
Really? I run reggler guitar cords (15 & 25’) and everything sounds fun.
I run a 15’ cord to my preamp for acoustic and then XLR it back to the board.

What would improve with balanced cables?

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member

Pax

Silver Supporting Member
So how long til everyone sells off their Iridiums? I’m half kidding.
I'm sure there is the "shinny-new-thing" syndrome for some, maybe a lot, of folks, but for me I tend to hold onto something and really try to make it work before flipping. Has GAS gotten the better of me sometimes? Sure. I don't think you're allowed to be a TGP member if it hasn't.

As for the Iridium, never owned a piece of Strymon gear before. Always too expensive. This one seems to address everything I dislike about similar products tho. Mainly, a straightforward, intuitive UI that can be quickly adjusted.

We'll see.

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
Played Nashville Municipal Auditorium the other day with Lizzo, Jon Bellion, Louis Tomlinson, etc. No live amps in the building all day for any of the artists. Usually when we play these festivals and radio shows some of the smaller artists are still using real amps but that show was the first time there were none. Last “photo” is a clip of “Broken” from our set.

Walked Broadway the night before. Lots of Helix units out there, many more than when we headlined the Cannery Ballroom in May.

Glorious Day was written to be played through @-Empire Matchless patch. srsly.
thanks, I tracked this video with just the HX Stomp and my matchless preset

last question is on a midi keyboard. Really wanting the feature set of the Akai MPK249. The pads, faders and knobs I can use for real time playing while recording/writing (I’m an in the moment person) then allow software/VST tweaks to fine tune. Any experience with this midi controller, or recommendations against?
I use the MPK249 at home. I love it. On the road I use the Roland A800 Pro which I don’t like as much.

I've been watching a few YouTube videos lately about pedalboards. I'm kind of surprised how many guitarists are emphasizing over and over their need to cut through the mix. I kind of get it, but in some ways it also seems pretty selfish and self-serving. Like there's some cool guitar parts that I want everyone to hear of course, but shouldn't I be a little more concerned with sitting in the right spot in the mix rather than being the focal point?

This might be a bit deep for the Gear Page, but do we have a problem as guitarists? Are we creating a culture that is far too concerned with looking out for ourselves? I'm not hearing a lot of talk about serving the song or the worship leader or even fitting well with the bass player or the keyboardist or another guitar player. What do you guys think? Are we too guitar centric? I don't really expect a guitar rig rundown to spend lots of energy talking about the other instruments in the band, but it seems strange to me that the rhetoric is void of much mention of the rest of the band and the roll that the guitar plays in it. And that lack of mention or concern for the rest of the band is what is kinda making me question if we have a problem in our culture?
It’s more about staying in your lane sonically, but the phrase has unfortunately become very cliché.

Truth be told, I haven’t bonded with the Keeley and have considered doing the board without a compressor entirely. But it’s $130 or so and people keep saying good things about it, so I figured I may as well try and squeeze it in since I already own it.
+1 for the ego mini. Used it on my mini board:

what’s the deal with the 1981 DRV? I’ve been seeing it everywhere recently. It’s a Rat? Aren’t those like $70?
yep, especially from the audience/FOH perspective. It has good artwork though, so that’s probably worth the extra couple hundred bucks :p

So how long til everyone sells off their Iridiums? I’m half kidding.
It’s proving to be really popular for pedal people who want to run direct and don’t like menus. Great mic’d amp tones with no tweaking or screens. I’m an HX guy but anything that helps volunteer or contract church players understand they don’t need stereo $3000 amps to get good mic’d tones is a good thing in my book. Put it before delay and reverb and be free of the “pedals into cleanish amp” paradigm, use amp drive and eliminate a bunch of expensive overdrives from the board.

Admittedly haven’t watched the video yet, but maybe digital isn’t strictly so taboo at Bethel these days:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/kemper-vs-amps-david-from-bethel-music.2101116/

I don’t care what they or anyone else uses either. Pope especially was just very tube snobby, so nice to see someone on their touring teams giving a digital option a chance.
Pope leaves Bethel and they’re already off the rails!

Last edited:

crambone

^dude that's a huge venue to play at. Very cool!

It's been about a year since the last time I was in Nashville. I hit-up Broadway on a Monday night and while there were tons of bands playing I didn't see anyone going direct. However, I only went to about 3-4 places.

Kluch

^dude that's a huge venue to play at. Very cool!

It's been about a year since the last time I was in Nashville. I hit-up Broadway on a Monday night and while there were tons of bands playing I didn't see anyone going direct. However, I only went to about 3-4 places.
I was there for work just a few weeks back. During our walk down Broadway we only went to two bars and the band in the first one was using a couple of pedals and a good ol' toob amp. Guess things have changed substantially in the last few weeks ;)

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
A little late, but we're actually going to play Revelation Song. (Don't know what key, yet. :p)

Which version have you played mostly? Phillps, Craig and Dean; Kari Jobe; Jesus Culture, other?
PC&D here. Love playing that song. The lead guitar near the end really adds to it (if you blend in and don't overpower everything else).

Reactions: Pax

teleguy234234

Admittedly haven’t watched the video yet, but maybe digital isn’t strictly so taboo at Bethel these days:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/kemper-vs-amps-david-from-bethel-music.2101116/

I don’t care what they or anyone else uses either. Pope especially was just very tube snobby, so nice to see someone on their touring teams giving a digital option a chance.
I agree with you! Heck even James Duke teased about some Helix patches. On one hand- sure you can play whatever you like, but don’t look down on others just because they play digital. Kind of the tone I always saw from him.

Spec

a big portion of how well you sit in the mix is out of your hands and into those of the FOH engineer. That is to say, there's only so much you can do, so I think that's why a lot of guitarists just focus on not getting lost or adding muddiness to the mix. My optimistic take: I think that could be moreso what these players are referring to when they talk about "cutting through the mix." My pessimistic take: after running sound and learning how to mix/EQ for the past 5+ years, I tend to question what percentage of guitarists who use that phrase (even some of these youtube guys) even truly understand the larger context of the full band mix, and feel to a degree its just become a parroted cliche.
I mostly play at small churches with semi-pro sound systems and volunteer sound techs. Typically they get grief from everybody. From the "it's too loud" old lady types to the "I can't hear my husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/etc." play. They don't need any more people complaining. Do what you can to make their life easier.

I learned long ago just to worry about hearing myself and have the other musicians hear what they need from me. I know how to mix and have helped techs with levels and gain staging. But as far as "fighting" for a place in the mix, not my job. I find it a bit disappointing really when someone on stage is complaining about FOH. Makes me wonder why they are there.

Nick-O

Silver Supporting Member
I think that's the plan. That way my delay and verb settings can remain the same for when I play into the Iridium or into my Matchless.
10-4. I liked how simple the Iridium is, which is saying something for Strymon. It took me 6 months to really get my head around the Mobius years back. I have no real complaint on the Helix, other than it is overkill to have all that and use the same 2 rigs for nearly 3 years. The Iridium should be a game changer cause anything Strymon is engineered to the 9's.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I have no real complaint on the Helix, other than it is overkill to have all that and use the same 2 rigs for nearly 3 years.
Unless it makes you lose all interest in buying and selling pedals “just to see” if you like the newest whatever better than what you have ;)

For the near future I am settled on my Park 75 patch. May change my mind with my Tele but for the Strat it’s the best and most versatile tone I think I’ve ever had.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Ok I’m curious for your thoughts. After practice last night for a team that includes keys, synth, flute, strings along with drums and bass, I was thinking about I wonder whether more gain or more clean base tone in general works better to help sit in my zone in the mix versus a less dense mix (just base tone, not gain staging and such). Our teams vary week to week and I do change base tone with amp models depending on the group and of course the song and what I’m playing in general. This is also one area where I find IEMs not at all helpful. Thoughts or experiences on more or less base tone gain for a dense mix?

kingrazor

Ok I’m curious for your thoughts. After practice last night for a team that includes keys, synth, flute, strings along with drums and bass, I was thinking about I wonder whether more gain or more clean base tone in general works better to help sit in my zone in the mix versus a less dense mix (just base tone, not gain staging and such). Our teams vary week to week and I do change base tone with amp models depending on the group and of course the song and what I’m playing in general. This is also one area where I find IEMs not at all helpful. Thoughts or experiences on more or less base tone gain for a dense mix?
When my players play really clean it doesn't cut through well. In a dense mix I feel like at least a little bit of dirt helps.

Playpunk

a bit of dirt solo sounds pretty clean in a mix IMO. Too much dirt just sounds like a hive of bees unless the guitar is really loud in the mix. IMO.

boyce89976

Silver Supporting Member
Played Nashville Municipal Auditorium the other day with Lizzo, Jon Bellion, Louis Tomlinson, etc. No live amps in the building all day for any of the artists. Usually when we play these festivals and radio shows some of the smaller artists are still using real amps but that show was the first time there were none. Last “photo” is a clip of “Broken” from our set.

Walked Broadway the night before. Lots of Helix units out there, many more than when we headlined the Cannery Ballroom in May.

thanks, I tracked this video with just the HX Stomp and my matchless preset

I use the MPK249 at home. I love it. On the road I use the Roland A800 Pro which I don’t like as much.

It’s more about staying in your lane sonically, but the phrase has unfortunately become very cliché.

+1 for the ego mini. Used it on my mini board:

yep, especially from the audience/FOH perspective. It has good artwork though, so that’s probably worth the extra couple hundred bucks :p

It’s proving to be really popular for pedal people who want to run direct and don’t like menus. Great mic’d amp tones with no tweaking or screens. I’m an HX guy but anything that helps volunteer or contract church players understand they don’t need stereo $3000 amps to get good mic’d tones is a good thing in my book. Put it before delay and reverb and be free of the “pedals into cleanish amp” paradigm, use amp drive and eliminate a bunch of expensive overdrives from the board.

Pope leaves Bethel and they’re already off the rails!
Sorry I missed the show.

Trending Topics