P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. John K.

John K. Member

I feel you. I just type "p" and it immediately fills to pedalplaygound now because I've done so many layout changes!

2. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

And just like that, my pedal sold. Woo!

crambone, kdm1218 and thebeebs like this.
  3. WillLane

WillLane Member

They are great, for sure. I have two XLR's run in a snake alongside a power cable for my board, so having the magic of balanced line noise cancellation is extremely important. Plus, our stage is extremely noisey EMI/RF-wise. Lifting the ground on an SGI will show you how much noise is actually entering the cable, and likewise how much noise is getting cancelled. The SGI's are invaluable for professional guitar setup solutions.

The amp model is bypassed when using physical amps, which I do 95% of the time. I originally made the patches using the Stomp's amp sims to save my hearing, and to save the sanity of the other people working in the Church building.

I think I assigned the amp to the footswitch for the picture for the a e s t h e t i c.

kdm1218 likes this.
  4. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

Ordered the Iridium, Collider, and Wampler Terraform. Selling the HX Stomp, Nemesis and some other items to cover cost. So looking forward to turning knobs.

No complaints regarding anything I'm selling. HXS is a fantastic piece of gear and I'm staying in the family with the Collider/Nemesis swap. Would happily play them anytime. Just want to move away from menus and will need the reverbs the Collider provides after I sell the HXS.

5. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I'm looking at getting the TC Electronic teleport system for the same reason.

kdm1218 likes this.
  6. dmutter

dmutter Member

NPD!
    Wife has been away for 6 days so I will have to wait to play it til tomorrow probably. Looks fun though!

7. littleNUKE393

littleNUKE393 Member

04andrew22 likes this.
  8. Pax

Congrats! Look forward to your comments and observations.

9. cra1987

cra1987 Member

So how long til everyone sells off their Iridiums? I’m half kidding.

Nick-O, Kluch, cjm254 and 3 others like this.
  10. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Too many buttons for this guy, I’d get lost.

dmutter likes this.
  11. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

We designed it to be far simpler than nemesis and ventris. What you see on the pedal is pretty much all there is to adjust in the desktop/mobile app. It’s pretty simple to run. The hardest thing if your a nemesis user, is getting used to moving the toggle switch back and forth when adjusting one side of the pedal and going to the other.

crambone, Pax, dmutter and 1 other person like this.
  12. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Does it even matter for Strymon? You can order one from a dealer for retail plus shipping and tax and have warranty, or wait 6 months and buy one on Reverb for $15-20 off, still pay tax and probably some shipping too.

dmutter likes this.
  13. John K.

John K. Member

I bought mine from Alto Music, so while they can't discount Strymons directly, I got 10% of it towards the next purchase, so I got $40 off the next order and got 10% credit from that for the next order, and then so on and so forth and yes I fell into the marketing scheme.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  14. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

So nice when that happens......
    Been absent. Didn't know you got Helix. Cool !

kdm1218 likes this.
  15. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

this. In the pro audio world, we balance everything. I wouldn't dream of using a microphone without a balanced cable, and indeed if you do have cable with a broken wire, it won't pass phantom power even if it still passes audio. It's very unfortunate that the guitar world didn't embrace balanced lines. In my rig, I run balanced out of a wireless into a balanced multiFX unit.
    Currently unbalanced out to the amp with a fairly short cable, but I plan long term to get a Radial balanced-unbalanced box mounted in my combo, so I can go balanced back to the amp and a 1 foot cable to the amp.

16. dmutter

dmutter Member

First round with the Collider before work this morning... It was fun. It's a good sign when you get lost in creating music. Don't have it all sorted or dialed in, just enjoyed exploring and making music.
    I can already tell I'm returning that El Cap my local shop loaned me to shoot out against the Collider. The El Cap is a one trick pony (a beautiful prize winning pony for sure) and for less money the Collider gets me great tape sounds AND way more options.
    I even quickly approximated the Mod reverb from the RV5 I have on loan. It's not perfectly the same, but darn close!
    So yeah, I had fun with it and wrote some little progressions but will need some time to settle in on the perfect blend of it's Delay and Verb for live use.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    cra1987, 04andrew22, kdm1218 and 2 others like this.
  17. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Really? I run reggler guitar cords (15 & 25’) and everything sounds fun.
    I run a 15’ cord to my preamp for acoustic and then XLR it back to the board.

What would improve with balanced cables?

18. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

19. Pax

I'm sure there is the "shinny-new-thing" syndrome for some, maybe a lot, of folks, but for me I tend to hold onto something and really try to make it work before flipping. Has GAS gotten the better of me sometimes? Sure. I don't think you're allowed to be a TGP member if it hasn't.

As for the Iridium, never owned a piece of Strymon gear before. Always too expensive. This one seems to address everything I dislike about similar products tho. Mainly, a straightforward, intuitive UI that can be quickly adjusted.

We'll see.

kdm1218 likes this.
  20. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Played Nashville Municipal Auditorium the other day with Lizzo, Jon Bellion, Louis Tomlinson, etc. No live amps in the building all day for any of the artists. Usually when we play these festivals and radio shows some of the smaller artists are still using real amps but that show was the first time there were none. Last “photo” is a clip of “Broken” from our set.

Walked Broadway the night before. Lots of Helix units out there, many more than when we headlined the Cannery Ballroom in May.

thanks, I tracked this video with just the HX Stomp and my matchless preset

I use the MPK249 at home. I love it. On the road I use the Roland A800 Pro which I don’t like as much.

It’s more about staying in your lane sonically, but the phrase has unfortunately become very cliché.

+1 for the ego mini. Used it on my mini board:

[​IMG]

yep, especially from the audience/FOH perspective. It has good artwork though, so that’s probably worth the extra couple hundred bucks :p

It’s proving to be really popular for pedal people who want to run direct and don’t like menus. Great mic’d amp tones with no tweaking or screens. I’m an HX guy but anything that helps volunteer or contract church players understand they don’t need stereo $3000 amps to get good mic’d tones is a good thing in my book. Put it before delay and reverb and be free of the “pedals into cleanish amp” paradigm, use amp drive and eliminate a bunch of expensive overdrives from the board.

Pope leaves Bethel and they’re already off the rails!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:55 AM