P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

^dude that's a huge venue to play at. Very cool!

It's been about a year since the last time I was in Nashville. I hit-up Broadway on a Monday night and while there were tons of bands playing I didn't see anyone going direct. However, I only went to about 3-4 places.

2. Kluch

Kluch Member

I was there for work just a few weeks back. During our walk down Broadway we only went to two bars and the band in the first one was using a couple of pedals and a good ol' toob amp. Guess things have changed substantially in the last few weeks ;)

Nick-O likes this.
  3. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

PC&D here. Love playing that song. The lead guitar near the end really adds to it (if you blend in and don't overpower everything else).

Pax likes this.
  4. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

I agree with you! Heck even James Duke teased about some Helix patches. On one hand- sure you can play whatever you like, but don’t look down on others just because they play digital. Kind of the tone I always saw from him.

kdm1218 likes this.
  5. Nick-O

Nick-O Member

Will you run the delay / reverb in front of the Iridium?

6. dmutter

dmutter Member

I think that's the plan. That way my delay and verb settings can remain the same for when I play into the Iridium or into my Matchless.

Nick-O likes this.
  7. Spec

Spec Member

I mostly play at small churches with semi-pro sound systems and volunteer sound techs. Typically they get grief from everybody. From the "it's too loud" old lady types to the "I can't hear my husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/etc." play. They don't need any more people complaining. Do what you can to make their life easier.

I learned long ago just to worry about hearing myself and have the other musicians hear what they need from me. I know how to mix and have helped techs with levels and gain staging. But as far as "fighting" for a place in the mix, not my job. I find it a bit disappointing really when someone on stage is complaining about FOH. Makes me wonder why they are there.

8. Nick-O

Nick-O Member

10-4. I liked how simple the Iridium is, which is saying something for Strymon. It took me 6 months to really get my head around the Mobius years back. I have no real complaint on the Helix, other than it is overkill to have all that and use the same 2 rigs for nearly 3 years. The Iridium should be a game changer cause anything Strymon is engineered to the 9's.

dmutter, Pax and MattLeFevers like this.
  9. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Unless it makes you lose all interest in buying and selling pedals “just to see” if you like the newest whatever better than what you have ;)

For the near future I am settled on my Park 75 patch. May change my mind with my Tele but for the Strat it’s the best and most versatile tone I think I’ve ever had.

Nick-O likes this.
  10. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Ok I’m curious for your thoughts. After practice last night for a team that includes keys, synth, flute, strings along with drums and bass, I was thinking about I wonder whether more gain or more clean base tone in general works better to help sit in my zone in the mix versus a less dense mix (just base tone, not gain staging and such). Our teams vary week to week and I do change base tone with amp models depending on the group and of course the song and what I’m playing in general. This is also one area where I find IEMs not at all helpful. Thoughts or experiences on more or less base tone gain for a dense mix?

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  11. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

When my players play really clean it doesn't cut through well. In a dense mix I feel like at least a little bit of dirt helps.

kdm1218 likes this.
  12. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

a bit of dirt solo sounds pretty clean in a mix IMO. Too much dirt just sounds like a hive of bees unless the guitar is really loud in the mix. IMO.

kdm1218 and dmutter like this.
  13. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

Sorry I missed the show.

14. boyce89976

Last time I was at Municipal was for Van Halen in the late 90’s! Haha. It’s an awful place acoustically.

15. dmutter

dmutter Member

Possible they have made any improvements to it in the past 20 yrs?

My fav is when rock bands play at venues that house orchestras. Often times those rooms sound real nice!

boyce89976 likes this.
  16. boyce89976

Highly doubtful. It’s not a venue that gets used for music much anymore, with the Ryman, Ascend Amphitheater, Bridgestone Arena as the other options... mostly WWE and monster trucks now.

Kluch likes this.
  17. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Listen to your heart, K. ;)
    I'd have to hear it in context. If everyone is playing all the time?? Shoot, man.... Grab a 2203 and dime it. Hopefully there are ebbs and flows, dynamically, and just go with what sounds good. In my head, I hear it and think that if you're clean, you need to be fairly compressed and louder than you'd think. If you're dirty, I'd think that you don't want to overpower the band.
    "Play louder, but play less." :)
    That's a big band with lots going on.
    Feel it out at practice. If you need to, set up a few options and try them.
    For me, I've never played with strings/synth/keys (except upright piano and B3/Leslie), but when I'm getting buried in the mix, I come out with either the Beano Boost or CompCut. But we don't have a sound guy, and the amp(s) aren't mic'd.

shawn w, JokeSmuggler and kdm1218 like this.
  18. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Member

This is pretty much where I live. I think you can use whatever gain structure you want as long as you can find your spot. Usually means paring down to single notes and dyads more often, and higher up the neck generally. Nothing is off limits but it’s a lot easier to find your space that way. I go from clean to mean depending on the song, no reason you can’t use even fuzz if it suits the feel. I’m often surprised at how ugly the stem track tones are for a lot of the orchestral stuff we do. Seems like everybody in the 90s-00s used a dimed DS-1 lol.

19. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

We should invite David Hislop to join this chat. It'd be interesting, at least.

shawn w and kdm1218 like this.
  20. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Who's he?

lemonman, kdm1218 and btjguitarman like this.