P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abandoned, Feb 12, 2015.

1. papersun

papersun Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pax, kdm1218 and btjguitarman like this.
  2. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

This version of the song has been killing me lately. Soo good. I guess this guy is the lead singer of the “Oh Hellos”. Anyways such a great arrangement, thought I’d share.

boyce89976, Romanowe and btjguitarman like this.
  3. Kluch

Kluch Member

Completely agree. The worship team is an extension of the church, so basically everyone should be treated as family, on or off the stage. Which means freedom to make mistakes, both on and off the stage. One of my favorite WLs I served under in Nashville, who became a good friend of mine, would continually demonstrate this in his humility. There were times where he would make a mistake on stage, point it out to the congregation and we would all laugh it off! I loved that.

crambone, cjm254, Pax and 2 others like this.
  4. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

I'm playing an entire 2 day Christmas gig next week with just the strat, I thought about squeezing in another guitar but it just seemed to fit most of the set perfectly. The one song I didn't love it on, which mirrors my previous experience with it, is the one classic p&w song (OG Hillsong). Only one in the set and that's the one I just don't love the strat sound for. For the bluesy stuff it's perfection but p&w I always feel it lacks something on the singles and the bridge humbucker is a bit too aggressive to be used the whole time. At church I'm on whatever position is bridge and middle the most because the humbucker gives it extra output but it's softer than just the humbucker.

Also since swapping to 9s the guitar is my easiest one to play and I'm loving it (I have weak fingers apparently).

For me you are 100% right, it is crazy versatile BUT it really takes a certain type of setup for me to love it. The amp has to be a certain amp and it needs to be set a certain way otherwise the balance between humbucker and singles is off in a way that can be very annoying. I seem to struggle with the opposite of what most think, my humbucker is almost always quieter than the single coils when I've got some gain going and that's basically a problem exclusive to digital amps. Switch to real amps and they have the headroom for the humbucker to get louder and if they have too much headroom it's way louder. So it's very setup specific for me personally. I have fallen back in love with my Suhr, it was on the chopping block but it is the perfect guitar for gigs like I'm doing now.

As for strat bridge single coil, I've never spent any meaningful time with a SSS strat, but when I have used them I never liked the bridge pickup. My jazzmaster on the other hand, it's super bright and brash but I love the bridge pickup on that. Tone never on 10 though lol.

thebeebs and kdm1218 like this.
  5. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Such a great episode! Also, not to throw shade at those with whole collections but one guitar is perfectly reasonable also. While I enjoy both of mine, I could and would also sell either if I had to for some sort of crazy life circumstance.

This is probably true. I just know the one time I played one (through a /13 combo) the humbucker was overwhelming loud.

IF I knew how to solder or knew someone local who did, I might try Fralin’s base plate just to see the difference (and would 100% set up some sort of recorded A/B playing the same part with the same patch pre and post mod and alternate between the two playing back to see which I preferred). But I don’t, and I like my bridge fine as it is without spending time and money to buy an iron and learn, especially if I put it on there and then didn’t care for it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    thebeebs and Kylote like this.
  6. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Supporting Member

there’s something really freeing about having one guitar... I did a big sell-off a few years ago down to one acoustic and one electric and loved it.... really the only reason I have the SG is it’s hard to transport a guitar via bicycle/motorcycle and driving blows.

Kylote and kdm1218 like this.
  7. kdm1218

I also honestly just don’t care enough about “nailing the tone” of the record to have different ones for different songs/sets. I figure if someone like Jeffrey Kunde owns Strats, Teles, Gretschs, and an SG and plays all of those one at a time in a set, regardless of what he may have used on a record it’s perfectly ok for me :)

He also posted an SG shot recently with a caption about tracking for the next JC album, so :dude

8. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

MoonshineMan's on his way now:

[​IMG]

crambone, hobbystuff, cjm254 and 11 others like this.
  9. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

When I finally came to the realization that single coils were my favorite sound, I was looking at Nashville teles -- I always thought they were cool because I'm a huge Cody Bonnette/As Cities Burn fan. Ultimately up with a Reverend Six Gun and I'm still absolutely in love with it. Dont find the lack of humbucker in the bridge limiting at all, although I think Reverend's single coils are a little beefier than standard strat pups. It's perfect for pdub.

Semi-unrelated, but I think I'm going to gift myself a guitar for Christmas! Been looking for either a semi-hollow or something with P90s as I have the Six Gun to cover single coils and an Epi LP for humbuckers. So far the Duesenberg Starplayer TV is the front runner as I'm loving the sound and thoughtful features built in. Also considering a Duo Jet w/dynasonics and the Rivolta Mondata (with the ultimate plan to swap the mini HBs for P90s). Anybody have any other recommendations I should be looking into for ~$2k or under? More than happy to buy used!

dmutter likes this.
  10. btjguitarman

SG Classic all day!

04andrew22 likes this.
  11. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I still think you should buy my smart switch. quiet switches, lets you have control of the amp, and it receives midi commands if you want to set presets. But since it'd be down the midi stream from the MC6, you wouldn't be slavishly attacched to the presets on the mc6

12. btjguitarman

But all my money is going bye bye into the amp

13. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

I failed to mention I actually do already have an SG, as well, that one of my friends gifted me -- although routed for HBs. Going to be my next project guitar after I finish working on my LP.

btjguitarman likes this.
  14. btjguitarman

You can always have more SGs

15. 04andrew22

04andrew22 Member

I'm sure I'll eventually own more than 1 since those are a guitar I've always been enamored with. But at this point in my collection not ready to start buying doubles just yet!

16. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

Oh, Firebird all day, yes! I'll even give you an Explorer b/c it's old school.

Allow me to amend my post to "as long as it's not 80s pointy."

MoonshineMan and btjguitarman like this.
  17. btjguitarman

Like Ibanez shredders with the flat necks

Pax likes this.
  18. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I play a Strat shaped 70s Ibanez, does that count?

19. kdm1218

You get partial credit

Pax likes this.
  20. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

This is me, keeping my mouth shut.

(In case anyone was wondering what that looked like....;))