P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

moehuh

Was going through my files and realized I never put together my full playthrough of Starlight by Bethel. The song's super fun to play with awesome guitar riffage halfway through (starts at the 2:14 mark ;)). The playthrough isn't all that special but I did take out the track so that you can hear the guitar in isolation at several parts throughout the song so that you can hear the tones in and out of the mix. Decent variety of different overdrive/modulation/delay/reverb tones throughout from the Helix.

I wish more people would do this with playthroughs, really would have helped me when I was trying to figure out how to set up P&W tones and even now it's still interesting imo to hear how others do it. Guitar is my darkest and most mid-forward of the lot and I did use the varitone at a couple spots where the part isnt at the forefront for fun. Figured it's worth a share.
That's such a fantastic guitar! Solid playing too. I played the surf green version in a store a couple of years ago. Was super tempted as it was easily the best modern Gibson I've ever had in my hands. But they tried selling it for way too much. Ended up with a Japanese-made 335 from the 80s with upgraded hardware. Equal mojo, a bit more of a blues voice. Couldn't be happier with what I payed for it. But whenever I see a 345 I think back of my happy 30 minutes in that store ;-)

moehuh

Maybe I should have phrased it as everyone’s personal favorite Fender amp :)
Still difficult to say which one ;) But I'm happy with mine.

One thing to consider if you want to get a Fender amp: Most Fenders sound significantly better when played loud. It softens the top end a bit and you get more mids. Just keep in mind how loud you will be able to play and buy according to that

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
Stereo...

Ok, I think I get it now. Modelling makes this too easy and I'm finally playing somewhere that lets me run two inputs for FOH, IEMs, and the recording / live stream.

Nemesis>Immerse>Iridium makes for a nice little stereo signal chain, it sounds so full!
It’s funny the Iridium was the “stereo gateway drug” for me. I was using a tube amp on one side and the Iridium on the other side for a bit. I then moved to a tube amp on either side and I love it! Stereo increases your headroom for sure and really makes everything sound so big! Would I take this setup to a live gig? Most likely not as it’s a pain to set up, but at my church where I can leave it? I’ll never go back :)

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
1. As someone that owns a single coil guitar (am std telecaster), if you were to get a second guitar (and only one additional electric guitar), would you go P90, humbucker or filtertron? I know it depends on music style, but would you personally prefer having single coil and humbucker or single coil and filtertron at your disposal (or even filtertron and humbucker if that is what you'd prefer or P90 and humbucker, etc.).
I'd say humbuckers if you play a lot of stuff outside of p&w, but if you mostly play pdub filtertrons will be better. I love p90's but it's nice to have a guitar with humbuckers in case there's a lot of 60 cycle hum where you're at. A Duo Jet or similar would be cool.
What Tanner said. Single coils + filtertrons for P&W. Single coils + PAFs for pretty much anything else.

I remember one of the guys on The Pedal Show say they could cover next to anything with a Strat & an ES-335. I'm inclined to agree; ES style guitars can absolutely rock, but also give you great blues / jazz / country tones, etc. So what I would say is that body shape matters as well. A Les Paul is less versatile (in my opinion) than an ES. A Tele is nearly as versatile, but covers slightly different ground than a Strat.
2. While I am officially out of the amp game, I've never been a huge Fender amp fan. For those that are... what is the best Fender amp? They seem somewhat similar but all have their own things going on. Sort of like a band that is able to cover a bunch of different styles of music but still always sound like themselves.
Best is subjective really. If I had to choose 2 current production Fenders, one I'd go with is the 59 Bassman LTD. It's the amp a whole generation of amps is based on; it's a thicker and punchier sound than the glassiness of say a Deluxe Reverb. Great for giving a bit more presence in a dense mix, covers a huge amount of tonal ground, and the 4x10 cab sounds huge. It can also sound great pushed to breaking, or just straight clean. This is one of the amps I bought for our church backline and I adore it.

The other is the 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. Much more clean headroom than the Deluxe Reverb, and I much prefer the 2 speakers over the single in the DR. The Custom Channel has the Bassman tonestack, so you can get that great punchiness or go for the spanky cleans of the Vintage channel; OR you can link the channels and get the best of both worlds. It's a great sounding amp, doesn't need to be crazy loud to sound fantastic, you can make it break up without sacrificing the ability to have clean headroom if you want it, and it's reasonably portable with 2 10" speakers.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I've actually gone from liking Marshall-type amps for worship to liking Tweed and Brownface Fender type amps (and maybe a bit of some Vox thrown in there for good measure). Right now I'm running a Down Brownie (Brownface Fender-type) with a Matchless Lightning (Vox-style amp). And before that I was running my Magic (5e3 Tweed Deluxe). I really think the Tweed Deluxe is an excellent and underrated worship amp. If you turn up the amp to the most saturated distortion tones, then back off your guitar volume for clean, I swear it can Chime with the best Vox sounds out there. The clean on the Tweed Deluxe is absolutely gorgeous, and everyone knows how good they sound turned up. Anyway's just my two cents.

yeatzee

Maybe I should have phrased it as everyone’s personal favorite Fender amp :)
Don't have a ton of experience with fender amps but from what I've played the Princeton was my favorite. Preferred it to the deluxe and my old HRD. More vibe and character plus obviously way more portable. Can't wait to get mine in!

Last edited:

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I've actually gone from liking Marshall-type amps for worship to liking Tweed and Brownface Fender type amps (and maybe a bit of some Vox thrown in there for good measure). Right now I'm running a Down Brownie (Brownface Fender-type) with a Matchless Lightning (Vox-style amp). And before that I was running my Magic (5e3 Tweed Deluxe). I really think the Tweed Deluxe is an excellent and underrated worship amp. If you turn up the amp to the most saturated distortion tones, then back off your guitar volume for clean, I swear it can Chime with the best Vox sounds out there. The clean on the Tweed Deluxe is absolutely gorgeous, and everyone knows how good they sound turned up. Anyway's just my two cents.
I’ve been wanting to do a tweed Helix preset. Anyone have a particular IR you really like for a tweed model? Most of the Fender IRs I have are Deluxe Reverb speakers.

dmutter

I bought the Revelation reverb. Can't find much on it as far as real world reviews aside from some YouTube demos and there isn't much forum chatter either. It's not available anywhere in Canada so I just ordered it and will figure it out when it gets here. I was too curious to not trying. We'll see if it can match what I can get from my Immerse. If it can and the presets are easy enough to use it'll earn the reverb spot on my board.
Screenshot_20200908-185927~2.png

metro6audio

Silver Supporting Member
On the PAF/‘trons debate, the other nice thing with humbuckers is the wiring flexibility. Split/phase/etc goes a long way to adding versatility. I have my Les Paul wired with dual independent volume and tone, with single coil taps on both pickups. If I could only pick ONE guitar to cover everything, it’d be my LP. Combined with a Tele, I really have it all.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I've been thinking about trying a Filtertron in my Epiphone Dot. I only have guitars with humbuckers, currently. I DO have my eye on a J Mascis Jazzmaster by the end of the year.

My Dot has had a multitude of pickup swaps over the years, but, I've never tried a Filtertron in there. Anyone have experience with these pickups in a 335 style?
One of the Chris Cornell signature 335's has Lollartrons. Here's a video of Chris playing it live.

MoonshineMan

As for Fenders, I'm always gonna be a Marshall guy, and more specifically, a 2204 guy.
But I've loved the sound of basically all the different Fenders that I've either played or heard. As long as the speaker doesn't fart out, they make amazing sounds. Great tremolo circuits, beautiful reverbs, killer drive and grind, and famous cleans.
It really depends on what you're trying to do. There's lots of space between a tweed Champ and a blackface Twin.
I could do everything I'd ever need to do in my life with a blackface and tweed Princeton, with the right speakers.

He_Ma

One of the Chris Cornell signature 335's has Lollartrons. Here's a video of Chris playing it live.
That Chris cornell sig is cool one for sure. Those Lollartrons are bit different than modern filtertrons. Those old ones that Lollartrons are based have warmer tone than the new ones. This all according the man himself:

I have never tried Lollartrons myself, but I am pretty sure that they are as amazing as any other Lollar pickups (fanboy here :D ) even they are different than the modern filtertrons.

He_Ma

Oh and about fender amps, I can't say that I am expert, but Deluxe reverb and Princeton reverb have been my favourites (those were silverfaces if I remember right)

And to be nice companion to tele, I would get hollowbody with buckers.

Trending Topics