• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Taylor T5

I’m trying to strike a balance between my role as electric lead & rhythm guitarist and incorporating more acoustic into some songs. Our WL also plays acoustic. I’d be playing through an Iridium. Can this guitar cover that much ground for those of you that are familiar with it?
Which iridium model do you usually use? I would try an acoustic IR (choose flavor of your choice from 3 Sigma is my recommendation) with probably the round model, and just play your electric as if it were an acoustic and see where that gets you before buying a totally different instrument for that purpose.

Reactions: Pax

tobereleased

Taylor T5

I’m trying to strike a balance between my role as electric lead & rhythm guitarist and incorporating more acoustic into some songs. Our WL also plays acoustic. I’d be playing through an Iridium. Can this guitar cover that much ground for those of you that are familiar with it?
One of the other guitarists at my church uses one through an iridium and an HX-fx.

It’s a nice guitar, it plays well and sounds good, but there is a hybrid tax - you’ll get better acoustic sounds from a dedicated acoustic and you’ll get better electric sounds out of a dedicated electric. From my observations, I think it does a better job of acoustic sounds than electric though (which kinda makes sense given the brand).

Personally, I think you’re better off with an acoustic and an electric unless you need to switch between them mid song, or you are really trying to minimise how much gear you carry around. And in practice, if a song “needed” me to switch between acoustic and electric sounds part way through, my compromise would be to use a decent clean electric sound for the “acoustic” parts.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
one of my bass players has one and occasionally leads with it. My experience hearing it is that it does what is does....ok. Not great and not awful, just meh. But that could very well be user error too.
Yeah, this is what I‘m concerned about. It will be ok, but noticeably sub-par on both sounds.

Which iridium model do you usually use? I would try an acoustic IR (choose flavor of your choice from 3 Sigma is my recommendation) with probably the round model, and just play your electric as if it were an acoustic and see where that gets you before buying a totally different instrument for that purpose.
I‘ll definitely give this a go. I started with chime, then went to round, now I’m back with chime. Playing a tele.

One of the other guitarists at my church uses one through an iridium and an HX-fx.

It’s a nice guitar, it plays well and sounds good, but there is a hybrid tax - you’ll get better acoustic sounds from a dedicated acoustic and you’ll get better electric sounds out of a dedicated electric. From my observations, I think it does a better job of acoustic sounds than electric though (which kinda makes sense given the brand).

Personally, I think you’re better off with an acoustic and an electric unless you need to switch between them mid song, or you are really trying to minimise how much gear you carry around. And in practice, if a song “needed” me to switch between acoustic and electric sounds part way through, my compromise would be to use a decent clean electric sound for the “acoustic” parts.
Yep. I have a nice Larrivee that I love, but I also love having a one trip load-in and out each Sunday. Maybe that’s a little lazy of me, but the older I get the more I hate hauling and setting up gear. I probably wouldn’t be switching in mid-song.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I‘ll definitely give this a go. I started with chime, then went to round, now I’m back with chime. Playing a tele.
Yeah try neck or middle with it. If you like that sound then you can save it as your favorite switch for an easy swap for certain songs. A note on the 3 Sigmas, they come with a folder labeled acoustic and one labeled electric, and recommend using the electric for the “faking it” stuff (my terms, not theirs ha).

Reactions: Pax

littleNUKE393

Yeah, this is what I‘m concerned about. It will be ok, but noticeably sub-par on both sounds.

Yep. I have a nice Larrivee that I love, but I also love having a one trip load-in and out each Sunday. Maybe that’s a little lazy of me, but the older I get the more I hate hauling and setting up gear. I probably wouldn’t be switching in mid-song.
Having owned a T5z before, it wasn't a bad guitar, I sold it last year tho.
It definitely did the half acoustic thing better than the half electric thing.
The T5z comes wired with electric strings(normal T5 has acoustic strings, and body size wise I'd say normal T5 is more 335 and T5z is more Les Paul in dimensions)
The problem I had with it was it didn't do either thing amazing. The acoustic bridge became a problem if I played hard on it, but it never had enough body to give me a good acoustic tone.
I will say when the noise was tamed on a loud stage it did make a great rhythm guitar. Kind of thin line tele like with the stacked pick ups.
With all that said I don't miss it, and prefer my assortment of dedicated electrics and acoustics more.
As the old saying goes, jack of all trades, but master of none.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
One of my kids asked me yesterday if we were EVER going to sing CHRISTMAS music this year at Church.

Thanks to the pedantic dudes in this thread I had the perfect answer.

"NO."

He looked so disappointed.

Then I told him that we will sing Advent songs.
:beer The correct answer

Now don’t mess it up by playing Christmas songs in December and calling them Advent songs.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
A question for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Has anyone compared the modulations in the Helix / HX Stomp / etc to the GFI Synesthesia?

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Know what’s super fun? Finding out Friday evening after you upgrade to Big Sur without backing up that OBS doesn’t work on it, and then having to figure out how to downgrade....

Church yesterday was interesting. Reinstalling Catalina riiiiggggghhhhhtttttt now

jmckeown88

Fun board!

Tell me about this wet section...what's the h9 for? How are you using the 2 Neunabers together?

And what's the e2?
The E2 (E-Squared) is a clone pedal built by a player at our church - its a Super Hard On that he renamed.... Eternal Er..... ahhhh well, church thread and all..

I use all four stereo loops, H9, TimeFactor, Expanse, Wet

So the H9 is kind of a catch all: modulation, pitch, other stuffs. (It's the newest to my board and I need to build more presets.

The Expanse is controlled Via a Disaster Area NNB. I have two chorus presets (I really like it's chorus), and some verb options (it also allows me to double up modulation effects, one on the h9, one on the expanse)

The WET is set to a shimmer mode and it is my BIG verb (I get smaller verbs from the Expanse) for whatever reason, the expanse just doesn't sound as good as my older stereo wet, so I've kept both.

I'm really digging the RJM PBC, but still learning. Editing presets on the computer is super easy. I have every preset setup with a second press to engage my clean boost (the E2/SHO) which is super slick. Pretty incredible what that switcher can do!

losrogers

In the past week I sold enough gear to fund Helix Floor. I prefer new with warranty, etc. Looking at Sweetwater space grey edition.
But... a sale would be handy this time of year. Does anyone recommend any sales or shops that would honor a Line6 discount?

Trending Topics