P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

dickjonesify

Silver Supporting Member
Double tap, but can anyone school me on why my signal from the headphone out on my HX stomp sounds nothing like my Scarlett Solo? I recently reconfigured my board and have access to the headphone out and gave it a whirl for the stereo image. HXS has great definition and is full, the Solo sounds thin and fizzy. Tried with both my in-ears and basic HD280s and I never want to plug into the Solo again.
Stereo vs. mono? That’s huge. Also, are you using the direct monitoring on the Scarlett? That’s just awful no matter how you slice it.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Stereo vs. mono? That’s huge. Also, are you using the direct monitoring on the Scarlett? That’s just awful no matter how you slice it.
@Romanowe truth, see expert reference below :cool:

S T E R E O • I'm always mono in the recordings from my church but most other places I get to play, I do so in stereo. Stereo is magical. It's not 1 + 1 = 2. It's more like 1 + 1 = 34. The amount of added headroom and perception of space in incalcullabull (Michael Scott) Therefore, you can get away with even more.

Romanowe

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah direct from the Scarlett. Stereo image is a big difference, but it was drastically different across the board. On board with buy once, cry once. Do you monitor direct from the Apollo, and is there any reason to look elsewhere for interfaces?

Last edited:

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah direct from the Scarlett. Stereo image is a big difference, but it was drastically different across the board. On board with buy once, cry once. Do you monitor direct from the Apollo, and is there any reason to look elsewhere for interfaces?
I've had my Apollo Twin for a few years now, and I don't think I've every monitored directly from it. I always monitor from the headphone out on my laptop... so my signal goes: Axe III -> Apollo Twin -> MacBook -> Channel Strip Preamp -> headphone out.

That way it's always set up to record, but I can also practice along with PCO via headphones.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
Here we go! Board (mostly) wired up! "Now witness the power of fully armed and operational battle station!"

There's a couple cables still on top / outside the board, just because I'm (still) waiting on my friend to make me a couple of interfaces / patch bays (which will allow me to easily rewire for home / practice / recording vs live). But seriously, I'm loving the sounds I'm getting from this - looking forward to it seeing some proper live action this coming weekend!

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I'm re-doing my pedalboard snake this week, going to a little tighter fitting tech flex, and dropping 1 cable.

Current configuration:
- AC Power
- Amp A
- Amp B
- FX Send
- FX Return

New configuration:
- AC Power
- Amp A
- Amp B
- 5 pin Midi

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I have 90 degree plugs on one end and straight plugs on the other. I measured the fattest cross section of the new cable bundle and 5/8" and tech flex I got will go to 3/4" so It's going to be a tight fit.

I was thinking of pulling 3 strings through with the first cable, and then staggering the plugs so each plug is moving through with cable and not 3 plugs stacked on top of each other. Plan is to pull the tech flex tight before heat shrinking as I want it as tidy as possible.

Playpunk

I'm re-doing my pedalboard snake this week, going to a little tighter fitting tech flex, and dropping 1 cable.

Current configuration:
- AC Power
- Amp A
- Amp B
- FX Send
- FX Return

New configuration:
- AC Power
- Amp A
- Amp B
- 5 pin Midi

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I have 90 degree plugs on one end and straight plugs on the other. I measured the fattest cross section of the new cable bundle and 5/8" and tech flex I got will go to 3/4" so It's going to be a tight fit.

I was thinking of pulling 3 strings through with the first cable, and then staggering the plugs so each plug is moving through with cable and not 3 plugs stacked on top of each other. Plan is to pull the tech flex tight before heat shrinking as I want it as tidy as possible.
Go with God - making cables is my least favorite DIY activity (other than doing anything my wife wants done around the house)

dickjonesify

Silver Supporting Member

Current configuration:
- AC Power
- Amp A
- Amp B
- FX Send
- FX Return

New configuration:
- AC Power
- Amp A
- Amp B
- 5 pin Midi

I’d just stagger and e-tape them and pull them all through at the same time.

dickjonesify

Silver Supporting Member
Interested in this - is this specific to the Scarlett? Is direct monitoring in general on interfaces just bad?
Yeah what don’t you like about it?
Disclaimer: I had the 1st gen Scarlett 2i2. Maybe the newer ones are better but...

The “Direct Monitor” switch just sounded terrible. For one thing, even though I was connected in stereo, it would sum to mono. Not only that but the audio quality was generally awful. If I instead opened Logic and created a stereo track and monitored from there, it was noticeably better (albeit a pain).

When I switched to the UAD Arrow, the direct monitoring difference was insane. I could never go back haha

Last edited:

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I never thought it was bad until I went direct out from my stomp with my in ears. I don’t know how I can plug into it again. It always sounded good with HD280s or MD706s. Very eye opening experience for me. Need those Biden bucks right about now...
Disclaimer: I had theScarlett 2i2. Maybe the newer ones are better but...

The “Direct Monitor” switch just sounded terrible. For one thing, even though I was connected in stereo, it would sum to mono. Not only that but the audio quality was generally terrible. If I instead opened Logic and created a stereo track and monitored from there, it was noticeably better (albeit a pain).

When I switched to the UAD Arrow, the direct monitoring difference was insane.
Huh... I use my gen3 2i2 all the time with my rig.... I don’t hear much difference at all between that and my headphone out. Maybe the current gen is better?

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
How do you helix folk get your reverb sound ready for worship? Does anyone blend two or more reverbs together?
I forget if you are Stomp or have gone all the way in to a bigger Helix? But I use a delay (stereo tape and stereo mod chorus echo in parallel on the Floor) and legacy plate before the amp (stereo amps on my Floor, one on the Stomp), and Glitz after the amp. If you do have one of the bigger units, basically the template of @yeatzee Bethel patch. On Stomp, mono tape and plate before, amp/IR, then stereo mod chorus echo on a B path and Glitz at the end.

Trending Topics