• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

macruz94

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! I've actually been messing with the clean channel settings on my amp lately but did that comparison with my older settings (bright switch on and T and B at noon) because that's how I recorded the before clip. I turned the bright off, added a little more gain, rolled B back to like 4 and T up to like 7 to compensate for the bright being off and it's realllllllly nice with this guitar and my Suhr T. I also turned the brights off on my gain channels and rolled the treble up a tad to like noon.... it's a little warmer. here's a clip of those settings... I like it a lot. Clean, PT blue channel with the guitar volume down to like 7 or 8, and then guitar volume maxed with a Klon sound into the blue channel

As far as the Players go, it's... fine. It's not my $4600 custom build Suhr that plays like perfection, but it's fine for a mid level guitar. It really could use a nut and maybe some tuners since these have a little more play in them than I like, but I paid $275 for it so i'm not complaining too much. The Player series seems pretty typical Fender (I played a LOT of them when I was looking for a second guitar... strats and mustangs mostly but whatever was available I played) and the QC is about what you'd expect at that price point. There are things I'd upgrade for sure, but at the same time I'm not complaining.
Love it!

Ah ok - kind of what I figured. I tried a bunch of the Player series when they were released and actually kind of liked the teles as a cheap guitar to bring around. Also I want to learn how to setup guitars and solder so I thought it might be a fun project. (I know I don't need to spend money to learn these things but this is TGP lol)

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Love it!

Ah ok - kind of what I figured. I tried a bunch of the Player series when they were released and actually kind of liked the teles as a cheap guitar to bring around. Also I want to learn how to setup guitars and solder so I thought it might be a fun project. (I know I don't need to spend money to learn these things but this is TGP lol)
they are great guitars for that… their qc seemed in my experience with them to be quite a bit higher than Squier even if it is only so so. Mostly getting your hands on one is the most important part at that level of instrument.

dickjonesify

Silver Supporting Member
well @Romanowe sent me a pair of Bareknuckle Stockholm 90s that I dropped into my Mustang (with a new guard.... cream pickups in a pearloid guard on a silver guitar... yikes). and I'm digging them. much more clarity and presence than the stock Fender ones. here's a pic and a comparison (each position, stock then BKP, cleans first then drives). excuse the crappy playing.

BEEFCAKE

dickjonesify

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! I've actually been messing with the clean channel settings on my amp lately but did that comparison with my older settings (bright switch on and T and B at noon) because that's how I recorded the before clip. I turned the bright off, added a little more gain, rolled B back to like 4 and T up to like 7 to compensate for the bright being off and it's realllllllly nice with this guitar and my Suhr T. I also turned the brights off on my gain channels and rolled the treble up a tad to like noon.... it's a little warmer. here's a clip of those settings... I like it a lot. Clean, PT blue channel with the guitar volume down to like 7 or 8, and then guitar volume maxed with a Klon sound into the blue channel

As far as the Players go, it's... fine. It's not my $4600 custom build Suhr that plays like perfection, but it's fine for a mid level guitar. It really could use a nut and maybe some tuners since these have a little more play in them than I like, but I paid $275 for it so i'm not complaining too much. The Player series seems pretty typical Fender (I played a LOT of them when I was looking for a second guitar... strats and mustangs mostly but whatever was available I played) and the QC is about what you'd expect at that price point. There are things I'd upgrade for sure, but at the same time I'm not complaining.
Monster tone! Dang :drool

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
We are in Austin for a couple days on a no kid mini trip and I got to go to Austin Vintage Guitars. Really cool shop, lots of new as well as vintage stuff. I think the oldest acoustic I saw was from 1936 and coolest vintage electric to me was a 60s (I think) Duo Jet with a light blue/teal-ish sparkle finish. Had they been a little less busy I might have asked to play that one through a ‘66 AC30. Definitely recommend checking them out if you’re in the area!

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
We are in Austin for a couple days on a no kid mini trip and I got to go to Austin Vintage Guitars. Really cool shop, lots of new as well as vintage stuff. I think the oldest acoustic I saw was from 1936 and coolest vintage electric to me was a 60s (I think) Duo Jet with a light blue/teal-ish sparkle finish. Had they been a little less busy I might have asked to play that one through a ‘66 AC30. Definitely recommend checking them out if you’re in the area!
So much fun! Used to travel to the southeast and Texas in my former career. AVG is awesome. They were very cool about me playing instruments, not that I played a lot of them. Not sure what it's like now, but Austin Guitar House was also great along with 2 or 3 other shops. Of all my travels, Austin was at the top of my list for guitar fun.

I'm sure Nashville would rival or surpass any other city as well. Only got there once though and with no time to guitar shop.

Travel safe. Enjoy!

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
So much fun! Used to travel to the southeast and Texas in my former career. AVG is awesome. They were very cool about me playing instruments, not that I played a lot of them. Not sure what it's like now, but Austin Guitar House was also great along with 2 or 3 other shops. Of all my travels, Austin was at the top of my list for guitar fun.

I'm sure Nashville would rival or surpass any other city as well. Only got there once though and with no time to guitar shop.

Travel safe. Enjoy!
Yeah I went to Austin Guitar House once with my whole pedal board, when I was Suhr shopping and trying to decide between an S or a T. Also a really cool place.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
So don't think I ever posted this. This is a song a friend of mine wrote that we currently do in our church, and this is the demo we recorded. It's reasonably rough (it's a demo) but still sounds pretty good I think! There's 4 electric guitar parts from me (2 are essentially identical but on different guitars and hard panned) and another 2 rhythm parts from a friend. All the tones are from my board combined with stuff from my HX Stomp (and I think I did a little bit in Helix Native)?

Another friend did all the production, so this is just me layering the guitars on top and balancing-ish the levels (the vocals still need a bit of work so they sit on top of the mix but that was a really rough home job by the songwriter) so the mix is probably a little out but you get the idea. Let me know what you think!

Edit: I did some slide to memorialise our fallen comrade, MoonshineMan.

footfuzz03

So don't think I ever posted this. This is a song a friend of mine wrote that we currently do in our church, and this is the demo we recorded. It's reasonably rough (it's a demo) but still sounds pretty good I think! There's 4 electric guitar parts from me (2 are essentially identical but on different guitars and hard panned) and another 2 rhythm parts from a friend. All the tones are from my board combined with stuff from my HX Stomp (and I think I did a little bit in Helix Native)?

Another friend did all the production, so this is just me layering the guitars on top and balancing-ish the levels (the vocals still need a bit of work so they sit on top of the mix but that was a really rough home job by the songwriter) so the mix is probably a little out but you get the idea. Let me know what you think!

Edit: I did some slide to memorialise our fallen comrade, MoonshineMan.
Sounds great! Love the twang, and the slide swells are sweet. Wish our band had another electric player so we could pull off parts like that live.

dickjonesify

Silver Supporting Member
Whole stream sounds awesome. I’m curious if this is the live broadcast audio, and also is there any pitch correction on the vocals because they sound pro! It seems tasteful, not all the time. I wish ours even sounded close to the room…:facepalm
I messaged the head tech guy over there and just received this...

and then he wrote... “We don’t do any drum replacement. I am definitely not a fan of that. If the drum doesn’t sound good live or on a livestream, get a better drum” which, totally agree haha.

tobereleased

Our drummer is bad but he is a nice guy and tries hard, so I can handle it I guess.
Funnily enough, we don't really have a drummer atm. We have 4 or so guys (including myself) that play multiple instruments to varying degrees but none of us would consider drums to be our primary instrument. It's the same 4 people that sometimes play electric guitar, although the other three are far less likely to play electric than myself.

When all four multi-instrumentalists are away, the music teams get a tad sparse :p

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds great! Love the twang, and the slide swells are sweet. Wish our band had another electric player so we could pull off parts like that live.
Thank you! Heh, so do I. We only ever really have the 1 electric guitarist on in a service - we'd probably have to run tracks on this song (and we sometimes do - when we do, I'm very intentional about learning specific parts, and minimising the electric where possible in the track). I can condense it pretty much into one part though, even though the jumping around can be tough.

dmutter

I messaged the head tech guy over there and just received this...

and then he wrote... “We don’t do any drum replacement. I am definitely not a fan of that. If the drum doesn’t sound good live or on a livestream, get a better drum” which, totally agree haha.
Wow, that's impressive that they have it so dialed in that they don't have to live mix for the stream. It sounded great!

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, that's impressive that they have it so dialed in that they don't have to live mix for the stream. It sounded great!
Most churches would be better off without live mixing their streams. :dunno:rotflmao:roll

Case in point: This was recorded directly off the FOH board, with some mastering plugins on the stereo out. This was one of the last times I used two real amps (Matchless and BadCat). During line checks I played with my IEM's out and it sounded like a friggin' rock concert. After a quick rehearsal, I went out to chat with the FOH engineer to see if he needed anything from me (this was at a church called Long Hollow, that had transitioned all of it's EG's to a Kemper backline), and he goes, "No, man, your rig sounds incredible. I'm not doing anything to your signal." That felt REALLY good!

Last edited:

He_Ma

LOVE your tone with that thing!

How are you liking the Player series for playability? I am contemplating asking Santa for a Player Series Duo Sonic after watching Chris Buck play one but he's one of those dudes that can make anything sound good. I played a Classic Vibe Duo Sonic back when they were in production when our local Best Buy sold guitars and just loved the shorter scale and the color combo.

He can make piece of string attached between trees to sound good. He is just phenomenal. I have been doing some house repairing and cleaning couple days now and have listened those two cardinal black songs so much that my wife has had enough with those songs :D

Most churches would be better off without live mixing their streams. :dunno:rotflmao:roll

Case in point: This was recorded directly off the FOH board, with some mastering plugins on the stereo out. This was one of the last times I used two real amps (Matchless and BadCat). During line checks I played with my IEM's out and it sounded like a friggin' rock concert. After a quick rehearsal, I went out to chat with the FOH engineer to see if he needed anything from me (this was at a church called Long Hollow, that had transitioned all of it's EG's to a Kemper backline), and he goes, "No, man, your rig sounds incredible. I'm not doing anything to your signal." That felt REALLY good!
That rig of yours was absolutely monster!!

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member

Great tone, and your drummer there is a monster!

Funny story though: I was listening to that video and jumped on Instagram. One of the first things I saw was Matt Zigenis (music pastor at our sister church who I used to play with on occasion) posting about having a songwriting session with Travis and Temitope. Small world!

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Great tone, and your drummer there is a monster!

Funny story though: I was listening to that video and jumped on Instagram. One of the first things I saw was Matt Zigenis (music pastor at our sister church who I used to play with on occasion) posting about having a songwriting session with Travis and Temitope. Small world!
Haha, that's so funny! Travis and Matt wrote this song together about a month ago... one of my favorites! This was our first time doing it. Didn't even have charts yet, just a rough demo. I think my favorite part is riding the edge of self-oscillation on the DMM going into the bridge... haha!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom