• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Played the first full Sunday service at the new church. Went ok overall, brought the Kemper which did just make things easier. That popping double barrel is really bad, I'm just going to send it to JHS to fix which hopefully shouldn't take too long or cost too much. This weekend also marked the second time I've only relied on NNS. Proof

All new songs again, but man NNS just makes things super easy. I have no idea how to properly write it out, particularly for things like minor 9 chords or maj 7. WL talked to me about considering MD'ing, definitely not there yet but my association with the NNS, the chord shapes, and the chord sounds is getting pretty good already so I imagine I'll have it pretty dialed in after a month or two.

Nice! Are you using the stock IR's with the PT15 or did you swap some in?
Nice! I really need to do this soon. I had a sheet with Your Spirit last night that was NNS, because it was in F# and that is one of the few keys that just gives me a brain cramp to think about.

Our people loved Gratitude last night, first time we’d played it. They really got into it, always a fun time.

Hoping we get a post mix later this week. Our ISP is having issues so we didn’t stream either service this week. Loved my Strat though and I’m pretty sure I played all 5 positions at some point in the set. I need more time with it to get used to 7.25 radius but overall it was really great.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I don't use it with the PT. I use the pedalboard in the loop of the PT and use all the other pedals minus the XTC. The OD of the PT is stellar. I set the blue for light crunch and the red for lead tones.
Ah, that's perhaps the most important thing to me that you've said. I was only interested in the NUX because you are were using it with a PT15 controller.

powermatt99

I'm just trying to figure out how a 2 minor 9 chord for example would be written on a chord sheet in NNS. I wrote "2m9" on the bottom right but I was just curious what it would show up as on an official chord chart since I've never seen that before.

I include the "m" just because I know there are circumstances where that distinction needs to be made, particularly with like gospel stuff when there's lots of chord modulations.

I'm actually curious how that stuff is written in NNS. I guess you can take Gratitude as an example, that one has a cool mixolydian (+something else, idk the theory enough to name it) thing going on later in the bridge. How would that be written in NNS?
2m9 is an acceptable way to denote that chord in NNS. While maybe not technically NNS, Roman numerals are also used in upper case and lower case to denote major and minor chords respectively.

The beauty of NNS is that it doesn't care if a song goes takes a secondary dominate, dives into a mode, or is titled Revelation Song. For example the verse of Revelation Song would be written 1 - 5m7 - b7 - 4 which represents D - Am7 - C - G in the key of D major.

DG_Griffin

2m9 is an acceptable way to denote that chord in NNS. While maybe not technically NNS, Roman numerals are also used in upper case and lower case to denote major and minor chords respectively.

The beauty of NNS is that it doesn't care if a song goes takes a secondary dominate, dives into a mode, or is titled Revelation Song. For example the verse of Revelation Song would be written 1 - 5m7 - b7 - 4 which represents D - Am7 - C - G in the key of D major.
Interesting. I know most chord charts list Revelation Song as being in D, but playing a D-Major scale during the interludes just doesn’t sound right to me. I think of it as being in G. The Db note just sounds sour to me.

Last edited:

losrogers

Played two services with the freshly-fixed Les Paul. The Lambertones sound big and bright and clear. Very dynamic with crisp overdrive as advertised. Also, first time using Curt Mangan pure nickel strings... This guitar with these pickups and strings thru the Helix is a grand slam for tone

Chance

I don’t understand why I was quoted here…
Sorry! I don’t know how your quote ended up there lol I think I just accidentally clicked quote post as I was scrolling through the mesa thread on my iPad and didn’t pay attention to what/who I was quoting here lol

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Played two services with the freshly-fixed Les Paul. The Lambertones sound big and bright and clear. Very dynamic with crisp overdrive as advertised. Also, first time using Curt Mangan pure nickel strings... This guitar with these pickups and strings thru the Helix is a grand slam for tone

Which Lambertones did you get in it?

ShredTheGnar

I'm just trying to figure out how a 2 minor 9 chord for example would be written on a chord sheet in NNS. I wrote "2m9" on the bottom right but I was just curious what it would show up as on an official chord chart since I've never seen that before.

I include the "m" just because I know there are circumstances where that distinction needs to be made, particularly with like gospel stuff when there's lots of chord modulations.

I'm actually curious how that stuff is written in NNS. I guess you can take Gratitude as an example, that one has a cool mixolydian (+something else, idk the theory enough to name it) thing going on later in the bridge. How would that be written in NNS?
What I find is that pretty much anything goes babyyyy! I guess maybe in nashville sessions there might be best practices and whatnot if you're writing charts for others, but the way I think about writing my charts is, all I'm doing it giving future-me the easiest way to understand what is going on, so whatever does it the best is the direction I go. I do pretty much all of my charts in the notes app on the phone so a lot of the way I write charts just comes from whatever is easiest on that.

2m9 seems fine and dandy! I personally use roman numerals because it's the first way I learned and it's quicker for my brain to comprehend, so maybe a ii9 or something, but I've also found that I almost never add anything beyond the main chord number unless it's imperative that that note is there (possibly due to laziness :banana).

I really enjoy nerding about chart stuff. I don't do too many charts anymore because I work at the church and usually absorb the song as I'm working on the tracks, but when I get the opportunity to make 'em it's always a fun time for me.

cjm254

Played the first full Sunday service at the new church. Went ok overall, brought the Kemper which did just make things easier. That popping double barrel is really bad, I'm just going to send it to JHS to fix which hopefully shouldn't take too long or cost too much. This weekend also marked the second time I've only relied on NNS. Proof

All new songs again, but man NNS just makes things super easy. I have no idea how to properly write it out, particularly for things like minor 9 chords or maj 7. WL talked to me about considering MD'ing, definitely not there yet but my association with the NNS, the chord shapes, and the chord sounds is getting pretty good already so I imagine I'll have it pretty dialed in after a month or two.

Nice! Are you using the stock IR's with the PT15 or did you swap some in?
I was going to take the picture of mine this Sunday, but things came up. Our WL called in sick so we had our secondary leader in the role. He's great, but we didn't have rehearsal, and he hadn't really looked at the songs for our campus until Sunday morning (he got called in late Saturday...). And he had to run from our set to the other campus to lead. All in all it was a great set though.

Anyway - I love the cheat sheet. I dont worry about notating it in the "proper" way. Sometimes I even will write out a short tab section if its important to my playing. For Resurrecting the only notes I had on the sheet was "Play Loud" and Bb, which the other guitarist thought was pretty funny. I find the cheat sheet to be most useful when its completely personalized. That's how I use it. Make it your own.

macruz94

Silver Supporting Member
So G Major? Haha.
I've never been able to think of it as G Major because the first chord doesn't sound or function like a V chord and the last chord doesn't function like a I chord.... But this is the same type of thing as You Are Good by Israel and New Breed isn't it? I-V-b7M-IV.... but I've never heard anyone argue what key that song is in.

Gospel music might get us into a whole different type of theory debate though.

DG_Griffin

I've never been able to think of it as G Major because the first chord doesn't sound or function like a V chord and the last chord doesn't function like a I chord.... But this is the same type of thing as You Are Good by Israel and New Breed isn't it? I-V-b7M-IV.... but I've never heard anyone argue what key that song is in.

Gospel music might get us into a whole different type of theory debate though.
For me boils down to the interludes. If I solo thinking D major, it sounds bad. If I solo thinking G major, it sounds good. Call it what you want, but my simple brain sees it as G. Haha.

I could also do without Israel Houghton.

Last edited:

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting. I know most chord charts list Revelation Song as being in D, but playing a D-Major scale during the interludes just doesn’t sound right to me. I think of it as being in G. The Db note just sounds sour to me.
In the key of D that Db would be a C# (you won’t have two notes in the scale with the same root name). And, that b7 (C) is why people will say it’s in ‘D Mixolydian’.

DG_Griffin

In the key of D that Db would be a C# (you won’t have two notes in the scale with the same root name). And, that b7 (C) is why people will say it’s in ‘D Mixolydian’.
That must be why it doesn’t sound right. I’ve been playing a Db instead of a C# this whole time.:facepalm

I get why, but I think music is silly for referring to the same thing by different names. Haha.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member

Yup, if using Arabic numerals for NNS, I always denote if minor (either by a "m" or "-"; the - is more common on jazz charts) because it saves hassle when you encounter something outside of standard western tonality (i.e. modes). Alternatively, Roman numerals are reasonably common, and in that notation you'd go lower / upper case for minor / major.
As above, it's D mixolydian.
So G Major? Haha.
Well, it's the notes of the G scale. But the tonic (home) is D. Your solos will sound much better if you're treating the tonal centre as D, not G. It's just a different approach.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Yup, if using Arabic numerals for NNS, I always denote if minor (either by a "m" or "-"; the - is more common on jazz charts) because it saves hassle when you encounter something outside of standard western tonality (i.e. modes). Alternatively, Roman numerals are reasonably common, and in that notation you'd go lower / upper case for minor / major.

As above, it's D mixolydian.

Well, it's the notes of the G scale. But the tonic (home) is D. Your solos will sound much better if you're treating the tonal centre as D, not G. It's just a different approach.
I prefer Roman numerals for this very reason. And, I guess, because my AP Music Theory teacher beat it into my head 16 years ago…

Trending Topics

Top Bottom