• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had reasonably good results with those little1” square blocks, did have 1 or two on my old board pull loose, but this far they have stayed glued to the bottom of my DIY aluminum board I built last year.
I already have the little square things, they just aren’t sticking.
I use ACT mounting pads in 3/4" and 1" sizes. I've been using them on all my builds for 3-4 years, and I've never had them fail on me unless I specifically did something to cause it. They're unfortunately kinda spendy right now (the 3/4" ones have literally gone up in price $2-3/pack from a week ago when I restocked), but they're worth it IMO!

Also, I'm sure you already know most (if not all) of this, but when attaching the mounts to your pedalboard, but just in case:
- If you're mounting it to something like wood, sand down the surface so it's a smooth as possible.
- Make sure to clean the surface well to that it has the best possible bonding surface.
- If the mount has been in place for more than a second or two and you need to move it, just replace it. Once it starts to bond to a surface, removing it will permanently weaken its ability to bond to anything.
Painted wood, would you still sand off the paint?

DG_Griffin

I have my first Strymon pedal coming in this week! It is the Iridium. How are those of you in the group that use it setting up your wet effects? Pre or Post Iridium? I am leaning towards Pre so I can still take advantage of the headphone capability.

thebeebs

I have my first Strymon pedal coming in this week! It is the Iridium. How are those of you in the group that use it setting up your wet effects? Pre or Post Iridium? I am leaning towards Pre so I can still take advantage of the headphone capability.
My WL uses the Iridium and just runs it at the end of his pedalboard. Runs it really clean, which helps

I run mine at the end of my chain, Chime mode run fairly clean but just barely at the edge of breakup. Although I gotta say, getting some good IRs turns the Iridium from a good unit to a great sounding unit.

cjm254

Random gear recommendation question- any zip tie anchors you use that you’ve never had problems with the plastic part coming off the adhesive, or the whole thing off your board? The ones I have I’m sure just came from Amazon but they’re terrible at staying put if they’re out of a range of what seems like about 72-76 degrees. Either colder weather or heat and they come loose right away. And by heat I mean I’m on vacation at my parents house and my board being in the upstairs that is just warmer than downstairs, and 2 of the 3 came loose.

Tag for @PianoMan since you build boards for people
Could be a humidity problem too. Its pretty humid here right now. Don't forget to buy some shiplap.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Could be a humidity problem too. Its pretty humid here right now. Don't forget to buy some shiplap.
Ha, true! Although judging by the prices of homes even in McGregor, I doubt I could even afford scrap shiplap.

It’s definitely humid, but that happens even at home too. We’ve also been weirdly humid this spring and summer though so who knows.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
Random gear recommendation question- any zip tie anchors you use that you’ve never had problems with the plastic part coming off the adhesive, or the whole thing off your board? The ones I have I’m sure just came from Amazon but they’re terrible at staying put if they’re out of a range of what seems like about 72-76 degrees. Either colder weather or heat and they come loose right away. And by heat I mean I’m on vacation at my parents house and my board being in the upstairs that is just warmer than downstairs, and 2 of the 3 came loose.

Great question! Having the same issue with the ones I bought from Home Depot.

I use ACT mounting pads in 3/4" and 1" sizes. I've been using them on all my builds for 3-4 years, and I've never had them fail on me unless I specifically did something to cause it. They're unfortunately kinda spendy right now (the 3/4" ones have literally gone up in price $2-3/pack from a week ago when I restocked), but they're worth it IMO!

Also, I'm sure you already know most (if not all) of this, but when attaching the mounts to your pedalboard, but just in case:
- If you're mounting it to something like wood, sand down the surface so it's a smooth as possible.
- Make sure to clean the surface well to that it has the best possible bonding surface.
- If the mount has been in place for more than a second or two and you need to move it, just replace it. Once it starts to bond to a surface, removing it will permanently weaken its ability to bond to anything.
Great answer! Thanks for the rec and tips.

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
I already have the little square things, they just aren’t sticking.

Painted wood, would you still sand off the paint?
No. Generally if something has been painted, then it's already been sanded down enough and just needs to be cleaned. I was thinking more of raw wood surfaces when I wrote that.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
Guitar>Tone Press>Boss OC-5>Deja Vibe>Protein>FD1>Spark Mini>VP>Iridium>Flint>JHS Chorus>SA Collider>DI>PA

Works great for me, but as you can see there are a lot a ways to do it. Iridium is dead simple with excellent results.

dmutter

I always use the ones at home Depot with no problems. Big swings in temperatures and humidity here.

End of chain on edge of breakup just like I'd run a tube amp.

MattLeFevers

Nice!

I like it at the end, with delay and verb running into it. But that's how I ran my tube amp(s), too, so it's the sound I'm accustomed to.

I prefer my delay and reverb trails to kind of grit up and smear together with the original sound in a post-rock way, rather than the super pristine studio effects sound. Some people compare it to 'pedals in front' versus 'pedals in the loop', but to my mind it's even more separate than an FX loop, because with the Iridium your wet effects would be after the speaker cab and even after the unit's built-in room reverb. So more like a studio engineer recorded you with a mic and then applied some effects later on. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also this will run counter to the prevailing opinion but I actually like the stock cabs. I bought some York Matchless IR's to try them but so far am still using the Chime Cab A that came with the pedal. Granted I haven't had the time to really dial in the Yorks and/or re balance all my drives to best match them, but the "stock"* cab is doing great by me.

(*Not a stock cab, made by Ownhammer, but you know. The one that comes with it.)

Steady

So my name came up on the Kingsley waitlist and I'll be getting a Maiden preamp soon. I'm currently using a Helix LT, so a whole new board is now in the planning stages. I think I'm going to run it thusly:

Comp > Boost > OD > (OD2?) > Maiden > DD-200 > Neunaber W3T > {power amp/cab sim like the Two Notes CAB M+ } (not yet purchased)

I'll probably need a programmable switcher ($$$) and I'll eventually want to sub in a Strymon verb ($$$). I might add a second CAB M+ later and split the signal after the Maiden and run the verb and delay in stereo (I don't think there's a pedal product out there that will do the power amp/cab sim in stereo)
I *might* have my HX stomp take the reverb and delay duties for extra on-board options until I spring for the Strymon - it would be nice if I could isolate a power amp in a block on the helix - negating the need for the Two Notes, but as far as I know, it doesn't do that.

Any thoughts? Am I overlooking anything? Are any of my assumptions out of whack? I humbly submit to the wisdom of the P&W Rig thread!!

NickAudette

So my name came up on the Kingsley waitlist and I'll be getting a Maiden preamp soon. I'm currently using a Helix LT, so a whole new board is now in the planning stages. I think I'm going to run it thusly:

Comp > Boost > OD > (OD2?) > Maiden > DD-200 > Neunaber W3T > {power amp/cab sim like the Two Notes CAB M+ } (not yet purchased)

I'll probably need a programmable switcher ($$$) and I'll eventually want to sub in a Strymon verb ($$$). I might add a second CAB M+ later and split the signal after the Maiden and run the verb and delay in stereo (I don't think there's a pedal product out there that will do the power amp/cab sim in stereo)
I *might* have my HX stomp take the reverb and delay duties for extra on-board options until I spring for the Strymon - it would be nice if I could isolate a power amp in a block on the helix - negating the need for the Two Notes, but as far as I know, it doesn't do that.

Any thoughts? Am I overlooking anything? Are any of my assumptions out of whack? I humbly submit to the wisdom of the P&W Rig thread!!
Just put the torpedo cab after the maiden and then all the stereo effects after. Now you dont need a second one as long as you aren't doing 2 different cab sims. I'd put the hx stomp last and use it for extra effects. You may be able to do switching with that but not sure how many loops it has, never had an hx stomp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom