• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

Playpunk

Not sure what you mean by caps. Couldn't find anything along those lines on google.

Interesting that the Echosex delay didn't have that same noise/ squeal while using the iridium instead of my amp tonight.
Sorry, capacitors. The small capacitors soak up the excess voltage so it doesn't hit the circuit (from the input) or the signal (from the output).

Interesting that the noise is gone based on the type of amplification you're using as that shouldn't have anything to do with strange noises from pedals run before it. Were you running it in a different location? In front of Iridium vs. in the FX loop of the amp? Any other changes in your setup?
I’ll say from my experience building and modding pedals that sometimes the pop does NOT go away even with significant modification. I have added capacitors and huge resistors to ground and it does not always work. I think that that type of modification is best left to professionals.

I will say that any pedal I’ve built or purchased with relay based switching is silent and amazing. Highly recommended. If you’re going to get a pedal modded for silent switching going whole hog and getting relay based switching is worth it IMO.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I've been enjoying the RAT side of my SickAs Blackout a lot. So much so, that I just ordered one of these from Kinnetone. I've been looking at his RAT mods on Reverb for a few years but never pulled the trigger. This mod not only offers a stock RAT but adds 4 different clipping options (in addition to the stock RAT - FET, Germanium, Fuzz, and Open [no diodes]) as well as having the Turbo RAT circuit and a switch that alters the bass EQ providing two settings besides stock (not sure exactly what these are, but I suspect both cut bass and one might add mids). Should be able to get pretty much anything out of this pedal.

It will also have the LM308 chip and is modded for a standard power supply. All for $180 (including pedal, mods, tax and shipping).

Berry

Silver Supporting Member
And you're sure it's the pedal? What guitar and pickups are you using?
Not entirely sure. It does it when I have the tuner muted and volume rolled off. It makes noise when I ran it by itself too.

My guitar is prs style that I picked up in Thailand. I'll test with another guitar later.

brs928

Silver Supporting Member
Not entirely sure. It does it when I have the tuner muted and volume rolled off. It makes noise when I ran it by itself too.

My guitar is prs style that I picked up in Thailand. I'll test with another guitar later.
Is it the physical "clicking" of the switch making the sound? I've had some pedals with a really stiff footswitch which was picked up microphonically by the pedal circuit.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm, when you said it did it with the amp "loud" but not with the Iridium, I was thinking it was the pickups in the guitar. Let us know what happens with a different guitar.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Just recorded this with the Timmy V3!
Settings:
- Volume at 7 o'clock
- Bass at 3 o'clock
- Gain at noon
- Treble at 5 o'clock

It's all Timmy until the ending big chords where I add the SickAs (set to Klon - tryin' it out). A little comp and a low cut at 90hz is all I did in Logic (recorded out of the Axe III's USB port directly into my MacBook). I've only listened to it on my computer speakers, so I hope it doesn't sound like trash, haha!

Last edited:

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Settings:
- Volume at 7 o'clock
- Bass at 3 o'clock
- Gain at noon
- Treble at 5 o'clock

It's all Timmy until the ending big chords where I add the SickAs (set to Klon - tryin' it out). A little comp and a low cut at 90hz is all I did in Logic (recorded out of the Axe III's USB port directly into my MacBook). I've only listened to it on my computer speakers, so I hope it doesn't sound like trash, haha!
Volume at 7 o’clock? That sounds awfully low

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Settings:
- Volume at 7 o'clock
- Bass at 3 o'clock
- Gain at noon
- Treble at 5 o'clock

Total trash. Can you teach me your trashy ways? :)

nic

I helped a buddy with a trade deal and was graciously gifted with a compressor. I tested it against a 4 knob keeley and the keeley had more character but seemed to have a lot more noise. I ended up with the M76. The transparency is amazing, has to be one of the most transparent pedals I’ve used. One of those where you don’t immediately tell when it’s on but you definitely know when it’s off. It does not color at all, even at pretty high settings. The LED meter at the top is pretty nifty to dial in your limit. Still want to try a cali76 but pretty satisfied with this one for now.

MattLeFevers

I helped a buddy with a trade deal and was graciously gifted with a compressor. I tested it against a 4 knob keeley and the keeley had more character but seemed to have a lot more noise. I ended up with the M76. The transparency is amazing, has to be one of the most transparent pedals I’ve used. One of those where you don’t immediately tell when it’s on but you definitely know when it’s off. It does not color at all, even at pretty high settings. The LED meter at the top is pretty nifty to dial in your limit. Still want to try a cali76 but pretty satisfied with this one for now.

Nice! I’ve always wanted to try that one, particularly for acoustic or for bass. What I really want for those is not a pedal effect but just an LA-3A or 1176 style studio compressor in a box, which is what the MXR one is aiming for I think.

Reactions: nic

nic

1176 style studio compressor in a box, which is what the MXR one is aiming for I think
That’s what I had been aiming for myself. The cali76, dark glass luminal and the M76 were in contention.

the dark glass had too many features which narrowed it down to the other two. And the M76 was well a gift, lol. I feel that the only missing feature on the M76 is a blend knob, but the compression never gets to a point where it seems too squashed to necessitate that. (At least I have not found a setting of knobs that will do that for me.)

In a couple months I may have the opportunity to try it next to a real 1176 (not vintage) and then I can see how “inspired” the M76 is to it.

He_Ma

Did someone here have SlideRig Compact Deluxe MKII?

If so, how transparent can you set it if you use just stage 1 comp?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom