• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

yeatzee

I think you should start shipping that guitar around so we can all take pictures with it and determine our relative sizes.
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Go BIG or go home! Notice I even brought out my 4x12 for the gig!

I love big guitars, always have. Feel most comfortable with them, and obviously the stage presence is great. I'm 6ft and about 150lbs if that gives some perspective. It's a big guitar, but I love it :phones

Berry

Silver Supporting Member
Hmmm, when you said it did it with the amp "loud" but not with the Iridium, I was thinking it was the pickups in the guitar. Let us know what happens with a different guitar.
Happened with a different guitar. I didn't hear it this Sunday. I rewired the board, and now the fuzz seems to trigger the sound while the Echosex is on. The kilt used to be the one to do that. I noticed that the CS7 makes a whining noise when pedals aren't plugged in, maybe even a certain number of pedals. That might be normal though idk.
Is it the physical "clicking" of the switch making the sound? I've had some pedals with a really stiff footswitch which was picked up microphonically by the pedal circuit.
Yes, that is probably part of the issue. I also noticed some clicking the with my soft click foot switches too.

The other issue was a sound coming from a pedal or my power supply, possibly unrelated.

Seems to be explained by true bypass and some stiff switches. I guess I was wondering if my ps could be the culprit.

onwingsoflead

Right now my wife and I set up the sound board, snake, and speakers, my pastor runs sound during sound check, and then we swap and I run sound during the sermon. He also sets up the live stream and briefly mixes it while we’re rehearsing. :D

Small church life is kind of an all hands on deck situation, haha.
#smallchurchgang. Mine is quite small. We've got about 12 families regularly attending. Now, that translates to about 40 kids, because there are several larger families including my own. I think I counted 53 people total in service yesterday. But yeah. I run sound, and lead worship; singing, playing guitar, and stomping a stomp box for percussion. I do have another guitarist off and on, but he's active military, so he's in and out a lot. And yesterday I had a keyboard player for the first time. It can get pretty wild, especially because we are also a mobile church

Gibs210

I'll be the oddball here. I've had a couple guitars from both brands. Other than the 1" difference in scale length between the Duesy (25.5") and Gretsch (24.6"), I think you'd find the neck on the Gretsch to be very similar to the Duesy feel-wise.

I was able to easily get the action under 4/64's of an inch at the last fret with every guitar I've had for both brands, and I feel like I'm pretty heavy-handed. And, that's the real barometer for build quality IMO. If the guitar isn't put together right, it may sound fine and stay in tune, but you may never be able to get the action and playability where you want it. The Japan-made Gretsch stuff is great. When you consider Gretsch doesn't have an American-made option unless you go Custom Shop, the Japan stuff better be good b/c that's what 95% of their reputation will be built on.

The Duesy's are great... had a Starplayer and a CC... build quality was very consistent, you get a PLEK'd neck (and they do a very good job of it) and their Tremola is consistently great feeling, but I feel like there's still the stigma of "Korean build" although that chatter has died down recently. Honestly, I think they are overpriced for what they are. I liken them to the cookie-cutter homes going up everywhere for astronomical money. They're fine quality, with a shiney, fancy veneer over average hardware and electronics... the markup over actual materials cost is huge.

I'd go with the Gretsch... I think it's a better value, will give you a different tonal palette, while still being in the same ballpark aesthetically. Be aware, though, that the Dynasonics in the '53 (or any Gretsch with Dynasonics) are a completely different sound than what you would normally think of when you think of Gretsch. To me they sounded like a Tele neck pickup - Really beefy low end, scooped mids, with more air-y sizzle on top. I'd listen to a bunch of videos, and try to play one through your rig, before jumping on those.

I've never played a bad Japan-made Gretsch. They've all been stellar.

I've also never played an Electromatic, so I have no idea what they are like... hit or miss seems like the overwhelming opinion of the internet, though.
No kidding on the overpriced houses. New construction plumbing is my primary income, I’ve put plumbing into houses that cost way too much for what their asking vs what they spend. Some of these people buying them are gonna be spending a lot of money fixing things as time goes on. Brand new doesn’t always mean nothing to worry about…..

The whole Korean thing duesenberg is a big sticking point for me. I do love the looks of them, and while I’ve never played one I’m sure there’s a level of quality there, but I’m spending that kind of money, then it’s gonna be on a core PRS, or a custom shop fender, I would love to see them do something like a squier or epiphone brand to make them more affordable to working musicians and the like.

I will say, Sean Fucht just got a senior gifted to him from whoever the guy is that runs the Fullerton branch of doozy, and the guy seems legit. (You’ll have to look up his Facebook post on this event, crosses bounderies here).

flatulentmatt

Those of you at smaller churches how do you handle a stream mix? Is it set and forget, do you have somehow where you can have it routing to where they can actually live mix it but not be hearing the FOH to mess with what you hear? Separate sound person for FOH and stream or one person doing all?

Ours is set and forget and very occasionally tweak the reaper template, so it’s not great but sometimes depending on the setlist and band makeup manages to sound pretty decent all told.
Ours sends to Reaper with each individual channel for a full DAW mix there, then that feeds OBS to youtube. I guess a good thing is we can use plugins for compression, reverb, etc. But the mix itself just is hit or miss because it can’t be done and checked quickly when it’s totally separate but also tethered to the board being right next to it. I think we maybe do it this way because we already recorded services in Reaper and that’s how we’ve also done our own album recording, so there was a base setup for it that way.
As my previous post, we've just started doing it - but we essentially do similar to what you do - full send of channels to Reaper, then mixed there. But we have one guy doing the filming and mixing, so mixing tends to take a back seat, and he's not super familiar around plugins etc. He just has his IEMs hooked up and mixes on those which isn't ideal but semi-works.

One thing that's good is we have 2 services, but only stream the second. So our stream guy sits in the first service and gets an idea for the mix, then is ready to go for second service. He just needs some help with the templates, especially getting the compression and EQ right (he's actually done a pretty good job on verbs etc, especially around the vocals - they sounded trash the first week, but he's made steady consistent improvements which is really encouraging).
I need the opinions of random people on the internet to make large financial decisions. So here we go....

I just sold my backup guitar that I normally used only for slide stuff, so naturally I have cash burning a hole in my pocket and am in *need* of another guitar.

Little back story. I play all of the lead parts for our team every Sunday. Pedalboard consists of all the normal Top Strymon delay and reverbs with fancy overdrives running through stereo tube amps in isolation back stage.

Here is my current guitar

I lOVE it. Action is crazy low and it feels like home every time I pick it up. I really don't change the pickup selector though.

Here are the options.

G6128T-53 Duo Jet.

I've always liked the looks of them but the few I've played didn't really wow me.

New Duesy Falken with Split king pickups.

I love the feel of Duesenbergs and am intrigued by their new approach to split humbuckers.

What do you guys think?
Jet. Big time. Don't really get the Duesenberg fascination, personally. Just not for me! But on the other hand, a Duo Jet was one of my dream guitars - and I recently got one and it's phenomenal.

He_Ma

I need the opinions of random people on the internet to make large financial decisions. So here we go....

I just sold my backup guitar that I normally used only for slide stuff, so naturally I have cash burning a hole in my pocket and am in *need* of another guitar.

Little back story. I play all of the lead parts for our team every Sunday. Pedalboard consists of all the normal Top Strymon delay and reverbs with fancy overdrives running through stereo tube amps in isolation back stage.

Here is my current guitar

I lOVE it. Action is crazy low and it feels like home every time I pick it up. I really don't change the pickup selector though.

Here are the options.

G6128T-53 Duo Jet.

I've always liked the looks of them but the few I've played didn't really wow me.

New Duesy Falken with Split king pickups.

I love the feel of Duesenbergs and am intrigued by their new approach to split humbuckers.

What do you guys think?
For more tonal options I'd say go for the Gretsch, but be sure to have chance to play it before you buy it to be sure that it feels right for you. If you can't find Gretsch that suits you, there's nothing wrong getting another Duesy if that is your cup of tea. Most important thing is that don't let the money burning in your pocket make you buy something that is not good fit for you, since you already have electric you like and use.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
My RAT pedal will be here this week! I think I ordered it right after my bike wreck last week, but I'm a little fuzzy on those details! :rotflmao

Either way, the website said 2-3 weeks build time... so it's getting here way early! Should be a fun pedal!

Last edited:

johnnywelk

I figured I let you guys know about my QC honeymoon since I was madly in love last post and now I have it for sale....

The captures sounded pretty perfect when you a/b them and the feel is there, but once you start stacking stuff it falls apart a little. The more you add in front (compressor, drives, verbs) the farther it sounds from the actual amp.

Here is a clip going back and forth between my amps and the QC. Going through my pedalboard for each. Not the greatest tone (too bright all around I think) because I could barely hear my in ears with 110 db's blasting into my back. Also sloppy playing cause I was trying to get it done quick before the neighbors called the cops. Parts are from UPPERROOMS On the Altar.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I figured I let you guys know about my QC honeymoon since I was madly in love last post and now I have it for sale....

The captures sounded pretty perfect when you a/b them and the feel is there, but once you start stacking stuff it falls apart a little. The more you add in front (compressor, drives, verbs) the farther it sounds from the actual amp.

Here is a clip going back and forth between my amps and the QC. Going through my pedalboard for each. Not the greatest tone (too bright all around I think) because I could barely hear my in ears with 110 db's blasting into my back. Also sloppy playing cause I was trying to get it done quick before the neighbors called the cops. Parts are from UPPERROOMS On the Altar.

Nice playing! The amp tone is great!

I can’t tell you how long I’ve been asking for clips of wet effects in front of the QC. Now I know why no one will post one... you're right, it started to sound very different from the amp(s) at the end with gain and wet effects.

Last edited:

johnnywelk

Nice playing! The amp tone is great!

I can’t tell you how long I’ve been asking for clips of wet effects in front of the QC. Now I know why no one will post one... you're right, it started to sound very different from the amp(s) at the end with gain and wet effects.
Yeah it starts off strong but then falls behind when pushed. I just got my FM9 invite so hopefully the QC sells quickly!

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah it starts off strong but then falls behind when pushed. I just got my FM9 invite so hopefully the QC sells quickly!
I think you'll like the Fractal. Are you going to run outboard drives and wet effects? If so, DM me and I'll send you some presets I use with my pedalboard.

nic

So I have a hum.

Last 2 times I played the sound guy told me I had a hum. And me looking perplexed, didn’t know why it was there and I couldn’t really hear it. And then today I had decided to try an iem wireless unit I just got in. What better way than to test it with my rig right? Set up my HX stomp with the volume fixed as I do for FOH and adjust the gain on the iem unit. And there. There is the hum.

Really apparent with gain but even somewhat on my clean sound. I touch the individual foot switches and the hum gets quieter. I touch the foot switches on the HX stomp and it gets louder/worse. I touch my furman powerstripand everything goes dead silent. And yes touching the bridge or the strings kill some of it as well.

- everything runs off my zuma
- I checked and unplugged power from every pedal one by one
- I checked the cable ends
- I ran the HX off a separate power supply and it was worse.
- I tried a different cable
- I tried a different power strip
- I was at home, at my desk

And very defeated. All I was able to do today was turn on a -48db noise gate on the input of the stomp to mitigate this ground loop hum. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to fix it, but man can a grounding/power issue sure make good gear sound like crap.

johnnywelk

So I have a hum.

Last 2 times I played the sound guy told me I had a hum. And me looking perplexed, didn’t know why it was there and I couldn’t really hear it. And then today I had decided to try an iem wireless unit I just got in. What better way than to test it with my rig right? Set up my HX stomp with the volume fixed as I do for FOH and adjust the gain on the iem unit. And there. There is the hum.

Really apparent with gain but even somewhat on my clean sound. I touch the individual foot switches and the hum gets quieter. I touch the foot switches on the HX stomp and it gets louder/worse. I touch my furman powerstripand everything goes dead silent. And yes touching the bridge or the strings kill some of it as well.

And very defeated. All I was able to do today was turn on a -48db noise gate on the input of the stomp to mitigate this ground loop hum. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to fix it, but man can a grounding/power issue sure make good gear sound like crap.
I have had intermittent ground problems with the stomp on my board. Every time I try to figure it out it seems to disappear...

He_Ma

So I have a hum.

What is your signal chain? I assume that you have gain pedals in front of stomp? I was trying my new pedalboard to Helix LT at home few days ago and noticed that the way my patches/global settings are there was strong hum going on. After a while of troubleshooting I noticed that comp in Helix really amplifies the noise from my pedals. When I put my comp off in helix everything seems to get back to silent.

Also do you have own power cable from zuma to each pedal or are some of those chained? Chaining power can result to ground loop hum also.

tobereleased

So I have a hum.

I had issues with this earlier this year, and it was solved by cleaning up the bridge ground on my guitar.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
So I have a hum.

Probably not at all the cause of the issue, but also check your amp block in the Stomp and turn off hum and ripple parameters.

I have always just used the noise gate and it sounds just fine to me to be on :dunno I think I have it at -55 and 500ms and then it doesn’t feel to me like it chokes out a sustaining note unnaturally.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom