• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
So I have a hum.

Last 2 times I played the sound guy told me I had a hum. And me looking perplexed, didn’t know why it was there and I couldn’t really hear it. And then today I had decided to try an iem wireless unit I just got in. What better way than to test it with my rig right? Set up my HX stomp with the volume fixed as I do for FOH and adjust the gain on the iem unit. And there. There is the hum.

Really apparent with gain but even somewhat on my clean sound. I touch the individual foot switches and the hum gets quieter. I touch the foot switches on the HX stomp and it gets louder/worse. I touch my furman powerstripand everything goes dead silent. And yes touching the bridge or the strings kill some of it as well.

- everything runs off my zuma
- I checked and unplugged power from every pedal one by one
- I checked the cable ends
- I ran the HX off a separate power supply and it was worse.
- I tried a different cable
- I tried a different power strip
- I was at home, at my desk

And very defeated. All I was able to do today was turn on a -48db noise gate on the input of the stomp to mitigate this ground loop hum. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to fix it, but man can a grounding/power issue sure make good gear sound like crap.
Haven't had a chance to read all the replies yet, so this may get edited, ha! The Zuma is a pretty sophisticated power supply, such that, when I had one of the channels go out on mine (caused by a loose screw inside the unit) XTS here in Nashville wouldn't fix it... lots of proprietary bits, and a unique design... all that to say I doubt it's the power supply.

I tend to think "ground hum" is rarely a grounding issue (especially with a good power supply and discreet power for every pedal) and is typically an environmental issue, or combination of things.

Are you running a compressor after your gain pedals? If so, try running it before your drives. Depending on the compressor you'd be surprised at the noise they can drudge up from the pedals before them (another reason I run mine first in the chain). If that's not it, it may be environmental... dirty power, or local RF.

Try this... go to a different room on a different power circuit (check your breaker box... preferably one with no computers or ceiling fans - no electronics at all would be ideal) and try it in there. We have a small campus where the stage power is on the same circuit as the stage lights. It doesn't matter what I do, between the dirty power and the RF from the dimmer switches, I get some hum, even on my humbucker guitars. If it doesn't go away in a different room...

The next thing I'd try is a different power supply, meaning somewhere other than your house or church.

Last edited:

nic

Update: The new guitar hums, about 10Db higher idle noise than my Suhr. Tested it with my Suhr and there was no change touching the bridge or not. Tested it with a strat and there was again a hum but a much much less of a difference touching the bridge or not idle noise wise. I’m definitely going to narrow this one down to the specific guitar.

What is your signal chain?
Ive even tried it direct to the HX stomp alone or to an amp and it Hums. Different wall sockets. Different cables. No other pedals. No other electronics or lights on. Etc.

I had issues with this earlier this year, and it was solved by cleaning up the bridge ground on my guitar.
Definitely not going to be touching the wiring on this one. I felt wary even taking off the back plate in a white glove scenario. I’ll leave this up to the manufacture.

noise gate
This is my current plan. Seems to work well at -48 to kill the idle noise. I don’t want to depend on this. If it was a Squier I could understand, but, it’s not.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Update: The new guitar hums, about 10Db higher idle noise than my Suhr. Tested it with my Suhr and there was no change touching the bridge or not. Tested it with a strat and there was again a hum but a much much less of a difference touching the bridge or not idle noise wise. I’m definitely going to narrow this one down to the specific guitar.

Ive even tried it direct to the HX stomp alone or to an amp and it Hums. Different wall sockets. Different cables. No other pedals. No other electronics or lights on. Etc.

Definitely not going to be touching the wiring on this one. I felt wary even taking off the back plate in a white glove scenario. I’ll leave this up to the manufacture.

This is my current plan. Seems to work well at -48 to kill the idle noise. I don’t want to depend on this. If it was a Squier I could understand, but, it’s not.
Yeah that sucks for a brand new and nice guitar. Hopefully they get you fixed up quickly!

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
The modded RAT came in today (was originally scheduled for delivery Saturday... two days early! Way to go USPS!)!!

My wife's small group is here, so I haven't had a chance to really dig into it except at whisper volume... but... holy CRAP this thing has a TON of sounds in it! I immediately set it up in place of the Morning Glory b/c I was really curious how it might work as a low gain drive. I think it could fill that role pretty easily in either the "open" stock position, or in the Germanium or FET clipping positions.

The bonus is that it has the stock RAT, Turbo RAT and a FUZZ! The FUZZ is raunchy, spitty and doesn't seem to mind the fact that I have a buffer at the input of my looper and a Cali76 right before the RAT. :dude

Can't wait to turn up the volume a little bit tonight after the lady's leave! :JAM

Initially, I'm thinking I may end up with the RAT in the low gain position and the 808 as the 2nd stage, or the MG/Timmy as the low gain and the RAT as the 2nd stage. I can already tell this is a REALLY versatile pedal... so much so, that having 2 or 3 of them wouldn't be redundant.

Last edited:

dmutter

Share your suggestions...

$20 gift for 15yr old guitarist, what would you buy? (preferably from Sweetwater, but whatever)

I got a 15 yr nephew. I actually just met him cause of a blended marriage into the family earlier this year. He loves guitar, and owns 8 of them (including a 60s strat that I'm pretty jealous of ha ha)!! I wanna get him a gift but have a tight budget at only $20. What would you buy somebody like this? Obviously I'm in accessory territory with my budget. What are some of your fav accessories? Fav guitar cleaning products? Fav strings or picks? Other ideas? I'm just trying to make sure he knows he's welcome to the fam and that I show an interest in his interests. Let me know your ideas!

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member

$20 gift for 15yr old guitarist, what would you buy? (preferably from Sweetwater, but whatever)

I got a 15 yr nephew. I actually just met him cause of a blended marriage into the family earlier this year. He loves guitar, and owns 8 of them (including a 60s strat that I'm pretty jealous of ha ha)!! I wanna get him a gift but have a tight budget at only $20. What would you buy somebody like this? Obviously I'm in accessory territory with my budget. What are some of your fav accessories? Fav guitar cleaning products? Fav strings or picks? Other ideas? I'm just trying to make sure he knows he's welcome to the fam and that I show an interest in his interests. Let me know your ideas!
Might be a little over budget but a slide would be cool, and would give him something to practice. You might even be able to make one, which would be a really cool gift.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member

If you can stretch your budget a few bucks these are actually super legit.i have one that was on my little board and it’s significantly faster and more accurate than the korg pitch black was. And man if shipping wasn’t pricey to get to you I’d just send you mine

dmutter

If you can stretch your budget a few bucks these are actually super legit.i have one that was on my little board and it’s significantly faster and more accurate than the korg pitch black was. And man if shipping wasn’t pricey to get to you I’d just send you mine

This is also a great idea! Thanks!

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
@dmutter I like the slide idea. If you happen to know if he’s pretty into taking care of/setting up his own stuff, etc, some other ideas could be:
Big bends nut sauce
String lubricant/cleaner (I have used GHS fast fret and Tone Finger Ease)
A neck rest/cradle
Fret polishing kit (I think what I have is Music Nomad brand off Amazon)

dmutter

@dmutter I like the slide idea. If you happen to know if he’s pretty into taking care of/setting up his own stuff, etc, some other ideas could be:
Big bends nut sauce
String lubricant/cleaner (I have used GHS fast fret and Tone Finger Ease)
A neck rest/cradle
Fret polishing kit (I think what I have is Music Nomad brand off Amazon)
These are great ideas! If I went the route of cleaners/set up stuff I could always set up a hang with him and we can clean our guitars together and I could share some tips. Thanks

nic

What are some of your fav accessories? Fav guitar cleaning products? Fav strings or picks? Other ideas?
Pig Hog guitar stand. Available in black, white, red, blue, sea foam, and daphne blue. $19.99+free shipping.

These are good enough my wife told me I should another one.

r080

Free storage space for some of his stuff?

Berry

Silver Supporting Member
Been trying these out.

I am really digging The City v2. The boost is nice and the ts side can do way more than just ts sounds. I actually got this used at a steal of a price. It looked brand new, but it made gun shot pops when engaging the foot switches. Foxpedal replaced it free of charge! They were super nice. Switches are silent now.

Golden Fleece was not my thing, super woolly(which makes sense) and lots of gain. Twin Bender is safe.

Lightspeed is really nice, but I prefer the OD11. The Lightspeed is pretty transparent, whereas the OD11 has a bit more warmth in the mid range. I can see why people like it, but it's not staying.

He_Ma

Been trying these out.

I am really digging The City v2. The boost is nice and the ts side can do way more than just ts sounds. I actually got this used at a steal of a price. It looked brand new, but it made gun shot pops when engaging the foot switches. Foxpedal replaced it free of charge! They were super nice. Switches are silent now.

Golden Fleece was not my thing, super woolly(which makes sense) and lots of gain. Twin Bender is safe.

Lightspeed is really nice, but I prefer the OD11. The Lightspeed is pretty transparent, whereas the OD11 has a bit more warmth in the mid range. I can see why people like it, but it's not staying.
I like the golden fleece a lot, but I have it usually somewhere between 12-02 o'clock so it's more on the Dist/Fuzz limit so it stays in the not too woolly zone. It cleans up also quite nicely. But I hear you, it might not be for everyone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom