P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

TheFlash

ok so despite my guitar incident, this was the first sunday getting my amp channel switching midi controllable and creating banks for each song with programmed parts on the MC8 vs just tap dancing various sounds out, and holy crap it's a game changer for playing the only EG and leading. A few bugs to work out (like shutting off the two button banking, oops) but man it's so much easier to lead when you just have one button to push. I get that element of the all in one modelers now.

Have you considered connecting your rig to Ableton and letting the song click/tracks change patches for you while you lead? It would take a bit of programming each week, but it might be worth trying if you're leading and want your brain to not have to be thinking about having your effects correct for the next part of a song.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
ok so despite my guitar incident, this was the first sunday getting my amp channel switching midi controllable and creating banks for each song with programmed parts on the MC8 vs just tap dancing various sounds out, and holy crap it's a game changer for playing the only EG and leading. A few bugs to work out (like shutting off the two button banking, oops) but man it's so much easier to lead when you just have one button to push. I get that element of the all in one modelers now.
It is a pretty magnanimous way to work through a set if you are leading. I don’t lead sing anymore but sometimes even with MD duties when working with some of my less experienced band members and singers it is so helpful. I’d have a hard time going back to traditional switching multiple things after being used to the one press for so long.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Have you considered connecting your rig to Ableton and letting the song click/tracks change patches for you while you lead? It would take a bit of programming each week, but it might be worth trying if you're leading and want your brain to not have to be thinking about having your effects correct for the next part of a song.

yeah as cool as that would be, we don’t use ableton at all… we don’t use tracks and don’t play to a click every week (one drummer is resistant enough and decently consistent enough that it’s not a battle I’m that interested in fighting). I just run the click from onsong on my iPad plugged into a DI.

Playpunk

It is a pretty magnanimous way to work through a set if you are leading. I don’t lead sing anymore but sometimes even with MD duties when working with some of my less experienced band members and singers it is so helpful. I’d have a hard time going back to traditional switching multiple things after being used to the one press for so long.

"Magnanimous" ?? - maybe magnificent? Maybe autocorrect? I'm lol'ing a bit over here.

BJTguitarman might be a generous.... husband .... but i don't know how he could magnanimously use a midi switcher.

onwingsoflead

IF I can’t figure out the output 2 issues, and if SA doesn’t release the new Nemesis with 2x DSP (great suggestion @dickjonesify) I should be able to squeeze a timeline on my board with the top jacks. Anyone really enjoy the DD500 or Empress Echosystem? I’m looking for dual delay, midi controlled at a minimum.
Honestly I love ye olde Eventide Timefactor.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
"Magnanimous" ?? - maybe magnificent? Maybe autocorrect? I'm lol'ing a bit over here.

BJTguitarman might be a generous.... husband .... but i don't know how he could magnanimously use a midi switcher.
Ha, well that’s funny. I learned that word from my English/Lit teacher husband, and I thought he was using it pretty interchangeably with magnificent. Maybe my misunderstanding though haha. Also going on 3-4 hours sleep with a sick toddler yet again.

In other gear related news I have another little project.

CD5D7889-154D-4B89-A37A-345494722FC6.jpeg

This is a cheap Glarry Tele I just picked up for a friend in our sister church who is starting to learn- I maybe mentioned before that she was gifted a 7 string and took the low B off, less than ideal for a lot of reasons! Got this for $60 off our local CL, ordered a new nut and just finished sanding down the back of the neck a little bit to thin it about a millimeter and also generally smooth it. Once I play with it a little more to adjust pickup height, then I’ll take off the strings (it’s missing high e already) and clean/polish/oil frets and fretboard and likely have to shield the cavity. But for cheap cheap it should be a good learner. The frets overall are pretty level and I will just have to spot file and crown, and minimal sharp edges too. I adjusted the truss rod and intonation and will do a complete setup once I get the new nut. The current plastic nut is cut so deep that the low E could almost fit a second one in there and all the slots are the same depth, so I could probably get 4 B strings in that slot. Fun little project!

onwingsoflead

Me too! I’m thinking about putting mine back on the board for a while.
I've been LOVING getting back into the Factor series pedals. The flexibility of control on the unit is incredible. Assignable footswitches. Easy editing. The fact that every delay algo can be a dual delay. Infinite repeats at a stomp. And they still sound GREAT. Best part is you can pick them up decently cheap. I got a Timefactor and a Space for less than the price of a Timeline. Having owned both I think my brain prefers dialing in the Eventide stuff.

dmutter

Sunday Review

Sunday AM
- Played at a Nigerian Church. IT WAS BUMPIN!!!! I was asked by a friend of a friend to come with them as they guest led, never played with this band before and never been to this church (over 60 miles from home). The service was 2-1/2 hours long and we were the second band, helping cover the back half of the service. Sound was a bit tricky on stage which was challenging, though in the house it was a full tilt assault of bass and drums and the party vibes were strong (so in the congregation nobody would know or care about it being hard to hear on stage). Overall I'm quite happy with what I brought, though it was really stretching for me playing out of my normal style and having to jump in on some songs that I've never even heard until they just decided to play them live.

I'll cue up the video here to for you to hear a song we did called 10,000 Armies:

***FAIL OF THE DAY***
Check out this clip where I completely fell off the rails and played the nastiest sounding 'chord' on the easiest song in the world (Great Are You Lord) ha ha. Not sure what happened, but it happened and all I can do is laugh at myself! Listen for the 4 chord a couple seconds in ha ha

Sunday PM - I played a mostly online event for the National House Of Prayer Canada. Basically we played in a makeshift 'studio' sanctuary, there were just a dozen or so people in the room and the rest tuned in online (and calling in to contribute by video chats). A few years back I played an event with a couple of these players, but again I was a guest in this scenario. We played for 1-1/2 hrs straight. Lots of it was spontaneous and some quiet background stuff while prayers were being offered up. I really enjoyed the freedom to stretch out and I tried a lot of stuff.

I cued up a section here from one of the spontaneous moments:

Overall it was a good day, and tiring! I left the house at 7:20 am and got home around 10:40 pm. But I'm glad I said yes to these two things cause I learned lots and felt stretched in all the best ways.

dmutter

A double DSP Nemesis would be absolutely beastly!

I want it! With a little screen. But not like the Collider where you have to share controls between the two sides. I want it like a Timefactor where you can control both subdivisions independently on the face of the pedal.

That being said, the Nemesis does a decent job of faking dual delay with the secondary subdivisions you can add in. Most of the time it scratches the itch, but the Timefactor was so easy to use for this that I still regard it as one of the best options for dual delay.

flatulentmatt

Yep. I swore I'd never use a programmable switcher. Liked my flexibility too much.

Then I used one while leading.

Never going back. Plus the majority of programmable switchers now have an instant access / manual mode, so you can access fx on the fly if you need to anyways. The marvel of modern tech!

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Yep. I swore I'd never use a programmable switcher. Liked my flexibility too much.

Then I used one while leading.

Never going back. Plus the majority of programmable switchers now have an instant access / manual mode, so you can access fx on the fly if you need to anyways. The marvel of modern tech!

yup every song bank has a home button on it so I can jump back to my individual sounds if I’m in a jam. It’s wonderful.

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member
My latest!

2B0F69DA-2D26-4B02-AA04-69B9391DE2F0.jpeg

Back to the HX Stomp and not regretting it a bit. As soon as fractal gets their head right and releases a pedalboard-friendly stereo amps-only unit, I'll be jumping back on board but for now I'm just loving pedalboard building too much and don't wanna lug around extra gear (even got the pedaltrain backpack soft case for this one so I can carry all my gear and still have a free hand!), so the Stomp will stay for the foreseeable future.

I went with sorta a neon/miami vice color scheme for this board -- I know it makes me incredibly nerdy but I really enjoy the process of researching limited edition paint jobs and building/rearrranging on pedalplayground, finding a setup that functions how i need it to while having thought put into the design/colors. This pedalboard actually hatched the idea i have for my next which I'm going to start slowly building as my most a e s t h e t i c pedalboard of all time :p

Last edited:

dickjonesify

My latest!

View attachment 430035

Back to the HX Stomp and not regretting it a bit. As soon as fractal gets their head right and releases a pedalboard-friendly stereo amps-only unit, I'll be jumping back on board but for now I'm just loving pedalboard building too much and don't wanna lug around extra gear (even got the pedaltrain backpack soft case for this one so I can carry all my gear and still have a free hand!), so the Stomp will stay for the foreseeable future.
Even your Stomp switch LEDs match :beer

flatulentmatt

My latest!

View attachment 430035

I went with sorta a neon/miami vice color scheme for this board -- I know it makes me incredibly nerdy but I really enjoy the process of researching limited edition paint jobs and building/rearrranging on pedalplayground, finding a setup that functions how i need it to while having thought put into the design/colors. This pedalboard actually hatched the idea i have for my next which I'm going to start slowly building as my most a e s t h e t i c pedalboard of all time :p
That is such a beautifully colour coordinated board. :dude just for the aesthetics.

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member
Even your Stomp switch LEDs match :beer

hahaha i had another, frankly way better pic of this board i took after I first completed it with nicer lighting and my pedals way straighter, but the LEDs weren't showing, and I couldn't not show the matching LEDs :rotflmao

That is such a beautifully colour coordinated board. :dude just for the aesthetics.

Thank you!! More time and thought put into this one than I'd care to admit!

viden

How long ago was that? I have a good (local) friend that toured with them on bass last year. He’s freaking insane. He owns a local studio and is a Dingwall artist. He made this in his studio. It’s part of what got him the gig, IIRC.

Wow that's some sick playing there!
Unfortunately that show was in April 2019...it was the second last show I went to. Last one was Thrice Nov 19.... since then basically no band I'm interested in has come to Europe

Ha, well that’s funny. I learned that word from my English/Lit teacher husband, and I thought he was using it pretty interchangeably with magnificent. Maybe my misunderstanding though haha. Also going on 3-4 hours sleep with a sick toddler yet again.

In other gear related news I have another little project.

View attachment 429818

This is a cheap Glarry Tele I just picked up for a friend in our sister church who is starting to learn- I maybe mentioned before that she was gifted a 7 string and took the low B off, less than ideal for a lot of reasons! Got this for $60 off our local CL, ordered a new nut and just finished sanding down the back of the neck a little bit to thin it about a millimeter and also generally smooth it. Once I play with it a little more to adjust pickup height, then I’ll take off the strings (it’s missing high e already) and clean/polish/oil frets and fretboard and likely have to shield the cavity. But for cheap cheap it should be a good learner. The frets overall are pretty level and I will just have to spot file and crown, and minimal sharp edges too. I adjusted the truss rod and intonation and will do a complete setup once I get the new nut. The current plastic nut is cut so deep that the low E could almost fit a second one in there and all the slots are the same depth, so I could probably get 4 B strings in that slot. Fun little project!
Wow, we could definitely need someone like you in our sister church to help out setting up Guitars and getting people on track, really cool.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom