P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I'm the wrong person to ask! I never watched Enterprise, and I'm yet to watch Picard! Just telling you what I hear.

I'm not a hardcore Trekkie at all really. I just enjoy watching a few of the shows.
Enterprise was an atrocity. I thought Voyager was horrendously stupid and enterprise was worse. DS9 4 LYFE

yeatzee

New church rig? :dude

7wuu5b3.jpg
Not with the LP, but can confirm the TS pdubs :dude

nEdICMT.jpg

Ran into the cab off stage, honestly probably one of the better mic'd tones I've had thus far. Fantastic amp.

He_Ma

I read one on Facebook recently where the guy was asking how could he set up and route his Helix to noodle around to “find the key” in his ears only but then be back live/hot. Didn’t know how to read charts and wasn’t been given even a list of the songs and their keys apparently, but also said he doesn’t always “know the key” even if given it. Doesn’t totally apply to the graph, but I was still pretty shocked that was actually a thing for a church that they don’t even literally give someone a list of songs with key and then let someone play who also doesn’t know even if you say key of C where is that on the fretboard until he noodles around to find it.

We used to have one totally clueless lead player that couldn't read the chord charts and didn't know the names of the most chords, but played great lead guitar and played wrong notes probably less than any of us others who could read chord charts. He had learned to play guitar by jamming and figuring by ear his favourite music with tapes and cd's so his ear was great

Only thing that he usually wished was that if I was on the other guitar that we placed on the stage in a way that he could see my fretboard.
Yep I bought it for $70usd, although with pickups/wiring/tuners/neck there’s way more in it than that now. I rotate with all of them though, just don’t typically take pictures. But since I finally got it finished with a good setup to play how I want with the new neck I had to commemorate :)

I also had second hand mexican strat that was absolutely killer. It had new nut, fretwork pickups and electronics. Not sure if the tuners had also been changed. That guitar punched way above it's price tag. I should have never sold it :)

johnnywelk

Comparison of WT Supreme. Tried to pick whichever effects matched the most between the two as I went. For the cleaner stuff, they sound super close! Effects wise, the HX patch seems to be a little dryer overall. Just for funzies...

Love me some A/B's!
Hx stuff sounded a bit more rolled off in the high end, and it was also a bit leaner in the low mids. I'd give an edge to the fractal for my tastes.

dickjonesify

Love me some A/B's!
Hx stuff sounded a bit more rolled off in the high end, and it was also a bit leaner in the low mids. I'd give an edge to the fractal for my tastes.
Agreed, I prefer the Fractal stuff overall but I could roll with that HX preset any day. I would try to widen it up and get a little more thud probably.

But again (trying not to make HX folks mad at me haha) this isn’t a conclusive Fractal vs Helix as a whole style test. It’s just comparing two of “the same” presets on two different platforms.

TomBombadil

Agreed, I prefer the Fractal stuff overall but I could roll with that HX preset any day. I would try to widen it up and get a little more thud probably.

But again (trying not to make HX folks mad at me haha) this isn’t a conclusive Fractal vs Helix as a whole style test. It’s just comparing two of “the same” presets on two different platforms.
I have all four of the Tone Match patches and really liked the AC30 and Matchless patches a lot. It was sort of a huge difference from just the regular patches they put out. I’m running them on the HX Stomp and they’re pretty capable as all-in-one patches. I think I’m going to have to bust one out this Sunday.

Also, I have an Eric Johnson strat that should be arriving later this week! Gonna be a whole lot of new tones this Sunday.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I have all four of the Tone Match patches and really liked the AC30 and Matchless patches a lot. It was sort of a huge difference from just the regular patches they put out. I’m running them on the HX Stomp and they’re pretty capable as all-in-one patches. I think I’m going to have to bust one out this Sunday.

Also, I have an Eric Johnson strat that should be arriving later this week! Gonna be a whole lot of new tones this Sunday.
Pics of the Strat are required.

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
Comparison of WT Supreme. Tried to pick whichever effects matched the most between the two as I went. For the cleaner stuff, they sound super close! Effects wise, the HX patch seems to be a little dryer overall. Just for funzies...

Aaaaaaaand here's the AC30 with the same clips! Again, the clean sounds are crazy close right off the bat but the HX preset is less wet and has a bit less stereo presence...

Both sound great! As was said, you can easily notice that the Helix has less high end and doesn't get the same stereo width as the Fractal. I also noticed that the Helix AC30 model tends to have a bit of a nasally mid sound (which I have heard and fought to get rid of when I've used Helix models in the past myself).

I do wish that the routing on the two presets was a bit more similar. I noted that the Fractal had delay/verb before the amp, while the Helix patch had them after. I much prefer them before, and hearing them interact with the amps in the Fractal sounds gave it another layer of texture that I really enjoyed. Made the Helix patch sound much more sterile in comparison IMO (especially when there was a lot of reverb - see the 1:50 mark on the AC30 video).

Overall though, I'd definitely gig with any of those presets if I needed to. All sound great in their own ways, and while I generally preferred the Fractal, there were a few times where I would have chosen the Helix for specific sounds!

dickjonesify

Both sound great! As was said, you can easily notice that the Helix has less high end and doesn't get the same stereo width as the Fractal. I also noticed that the Helix AC30 model tends to have a bit of a nasally mid sound (which I have heard and fought to get rid of when I've used Helix models in the past myself).

I do wish that the routing on the two presets was a bit more similar. I noted that the Fractal had delay/verb before the amp, while the Helix patch had them after. I much prefer them before, and hearing them interact with the amps in the Fractal sounds gave it another layer of texture that I really enjoyed. Made the Helix patch sound much more sterile in comparison IMO (especially when there was a lot of reverb - see the 1:50 mark on the AC30 video).

Overall though, I'd definitely gig with any of those presets if I needed to. All sound great in their own ways, and while I generally preferred the Fractal, there were a few times where I would have chosen the Helix for specific sounds!

Thanks! Agreed on the routing. Interesting decision. Also, the AC30 HX patch didn’t have a pitch block so I couldn’t add the POG in for a one of those riffs like I did with the Supreme.

And yeah, once or twice while we were together flipping back and forth, I preferred the Helix slightly. Even more-so when I was playing some heavier stuff.

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
My new Veritas is in final assembly, and I just made the final payment! I'm supposed to talk to someone today to go over one last minor thing, then it will be finished!

Also, I've noticed that my thumb/wrist is getting significantly better with rest and exercise prescribed by the orthopedist! Gives me hope that I'll actually be able to play at least a little bit when the guitar gets here!

Also in fun news, got to church yesterday to find that they had torn down the stage (that had been there for at least 15 years), and are working on building a new one! Gonna be quite a change! The entire layout will be mirrored, so I'll be on the opposite side from here on out. They're also adding an ADA ramp - much needed, since we have some staff with physical disabilities who required help just to get on stage. On a gear note, they're also going to move the two Axe-Fx's into the studio several rooms away. By doing that, they'll be able to hook them up to computers permanently, and set them up so that our audio techs and musicians can remote in and use Axe-Edit to dial in tones on the fly during practice. Their only concern is latency, but they're using SGI boxes, so I doubt it will be any more noticeable than doing the same thing with amps.

Romanowe

Silver Supporting Member

I agree with you both. I didn’t think the HX would ever pull equal with the AXE FXIII, but it sounds closer with these models/IRs than I’ve heard before. Confirms how the chieftain sounded to me without recording’s.

Thanks for the A/B Dan!

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member

I do think that WT had just recently released a patch or a few patches with wet effects in front, maybe just a few weeks before the tone match stuff. But for as long as I’ve followed them, otherwise their standard is doing it after the amp(s). It does give more options and flexibility for sure for stereo wet effects in Helix if you do them post, due to DSP limitations otherwise. It’s not impossible to do but just have to think more carefully about what blocks and how to set up snapshot parameters for flexibility.
I agree with you both. I didn’t think the HX would ever pull equal with the AXE FXIII, but it sounds closer with these models/IRs than I’ve heard before. Confirms how the chieftain sounded to me without recording’s.

Thanks for the A/B Dan!
I am going to try to do an A/B later today between the TM AC30 versus my York Audio IR AC30 patch that has the same model. If it works out that I do have time to do it I will post back here!

yeatzee

Dude. Yes hahahahahahahaha :beer
Let it never be said that you are a "typical" P&W player :rotflmao

Big difference, fractal sounds great! Playing too, but that's a given ;)

Aaaaaaaand here's the AC30 with the same clips! Again, the clean sounds are crazy close right off the bat but the HX preset is less wet and has a bit less stereo presence...

So tough to compare once the wet fx come in as others mentioned, such a different sound before and after the amp. Also much prefer before :)

dickjonesify

Big difference, fractal sounds great! Playing too, but that's a given ;)

So tough to compare once the wet fx come in as others mentioned, such a different sound before and after the amp. Also much prefer before :)

Thanks T
Yeah I didn’t notice the delays after visually right away but I sure felt it. Maybe I’ll do another one where I try to match wet effects…

Trending Topics

Top Bottom