P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

dickjonesify

@dickjonesify what made you move from the Kemper to FM?
I don’t know. Kemper was great but I got a little tired of some of its idiosyncrasies. I went from it to a pedal board + Iridium. I enjoyed fooling with pedals again but the Iridium felt a little flat to me. It was totally fine but I was also missing the flexibility of being all digital.

Without really even looking to make a change, I saw the FM9 announcement and jumped on the waiting list within 20 minutes cuz why not haha. Little did I know how fortunate I was to get in so early. I had looked at the FM3 before but only having one amp block and limited DSP kept me from looking at it too seriously.

It’s not perfect and it has taken a little work but I do think it has the best amp sounds of any digital platform I’ve tried.

Last edited:

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
We do have a Matchless DC-30 on the way. Bradford ordered it from Matchless over a year ago (I think - or very close to a year ago). Just this past week he reached back out to them and they STILL don't have an ETA on the amp :(. When we finally get it, we'll be making TM stuff with it for sure.

In the meantime, I do have a Bad Cat Cub III 40 and a Tyler HM30. Both of those amps are very similar to a Matchless DC30, and we'll have TM patches of those soon. But they're not actually DC30's, so the wait continues...
Well, shoot. Next time you're in Nashville you can borrow my Matchless HC30 (with a bunch of NOS glass, including Russian EL84's and 2 Mullard 5V4G rectifiers from the 60's).

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve never been able to get enough “sparkle” type sound from the ch2. Maybe WT will run a sale at Memorial Day and I’ll try out the supreme patch.
Ch1 definitely has more sparkle and more low end. Ch2 is more mid-pushed and raunchier in it's breakup due to the EF86 preamp tube. I feel like Ch2 actually cuts through the mix a little better because of the mid-push.

Ch2 on the High input, with the gain about 2 - 2.5, tone knob in position 5, cut knob off (no high cut) and the master volume about 7 - 8 has always been home base for me. Works with any guitar I've ever tried.

dmutter

Ch1 definitely has more sparkle and more low end. Ch2 is more mid-pushed and raunchier in it's breakup due to the EF86 preamp tube. I feel like Ch2 actually cuts through the mix a little better because of the mid-push.

Ch2 on the High input, with the gain about 2 - 2.5, tone knob in position 5, cut knob off (no high cut) and the master volume about 7 - 8 has always been home base for me. Works with any guitar I've ever tried.
One day I'd love to play my little amp next to the real DC30, I'd be very curious how they sound side by side. I run very similar settings, but gain a little lower. I'm sure the difference in headroom is part of the difference.

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member
One day I'd love to play my little amp next to the real DC30, I'd be very curious how they sound side by side. I run very similar settings, but gain a little lower. I'm sure the difference in headroom is part of the difference.
I should have added that the mismatched speakers also contribute to the tone. You can get more sparkle from the EF86 side by mic'ing the right speaker, while the left speaker has a slightly softer high end. I used to mic the right speaker with a 57, 1" from the grill, right in the middle of the cone (between the dust cap edge and the edge of the surround).

It'd be interesting to see them side by side. I suspect your amp would sound very similar, just a little quieter.

Last edited:

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I should have added that the mismatched speakers also contribute to the tone. You can get more sparkle from the EF86 side by mic'ing the left speaker, while the right speaker has a softer high end. I used to mic the right speaker with a 57, 1" from the grill, right in the middle of the cone (between the dust cap edge and the edge of the surround).

It'd be interesting to see them side by side. I suspect your amp would sound very similar, just a little quieter.
Which one is left/right?

TELEparty

Silver Supporting Member
307E15C9-C900-4A0D-AC24-42013BD05424.jpeg

Welp, some changes happening. Both the Walrus Audio Ages and the JHS PackRat are out. I liked em, didn’t love em. Snagged a Timmy 15th anni directly from Paul C on Reverb when he had a few up for grabs, forgot how much I love this thing. I knew I wanted a Direct Drive as well, but was also very drawn to the Burn Unit. So…I got both! Except I only have one spot. Hmmm. I messed around with both a bit tonight, and they are VERY different. The Burn Unit seems to be the narrowest scope of tones from all of Barber’s stuff, but it still sounds great.

I also moved out the JHS Kodiak tremolo. I liked it a lot, but I could not get it to play well with the MicroClock when anything else was plugged in. No matter what setting I had for the LEN, as soon as I plugged in the tap patches for the ARP-87 and the Volante, it would set the tempo but then drift up or down to a specific time while the ARP and Volante worked perfectly. Can’t explain it. When it was the only thing plugged into the MC it worked just fine. No idea.

So, I opted for the Monument from Walrus Audio. I figured it would play well with the ARP-87, and sure enough it’s working flawlessly with the MicroClock. I also LOVE the harmonic tremolo option, sounds amazing.

I also have a Chase Tone Secret Preamp coming, and I have negative room on this board with the current configuration. I’m toying around moving either the Deco or Iridium off the board and using them externally. I’m also contemplating a Big Sky. It never ends.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
I don’t know. Kemper was great but I got a little tired of some of its idiosyncrasies. I went from it to a pedal board + Iridium. I enjoyed fooling with pedals again but the Iridium felt a little flat to me. It was totally fine but I was also missing the flexibility of being all digital.

Without really even looking to make a change, I saw the FM9 announcement and jumped on the waiting list within 20 minutes cuz why not haha. Little did I know how fortunate I was to get in so early. I had looked at the FM3 before but only having one amp block and limited DSP kept me from looking at it too seriously.

It’s not perfect and it has taken a little work but I do think it has the best amp sounds of any digital platform I’ve tried.

Yeah that sounds right. I've been trying to get to full midi and realizing that may cost most the way to an all in one but I'm pretty sure I couldn't leave pedals behind for long...

That Fractal sure did sound good though

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
From the front: G12H is right, G12M is left. I had it backwards in my post above so I corrected it. The M has a steeper roll off from 3.5khz - 7khz. I mic'd the H.
I think I’ve had that backwards then on which one had more highs. No wonder my ch2 always sounded too dark with Helix.

flatulentmatt

View attachment 600203

Welp, some changes happening. Both the Walrus Audio Ages and the JHS PackRat are out. I liked em, didn’t love em. Snagged a Timmy 15th anni directly from Paul C on Reverb when he had a few up for grabs, forgot how much I love this thing. I knew I wanted a Direct Drive as well, but was also very drawn to the Burn Unit. So…I got both! Except I only have one spot. Hmmm. I messed around with both a bit tonight, and they are VERY different. The Burn Unit seems to be the narrowest scope of tones from all of Barber’s stuff, but it still sounds great.

I also moved out the JHS Kodiak tremolo. I liked it a lot, but I could not get it to play well with the MicroClock when anything else was plugged in. No matter what setting I had for the LEN, as soon as I plugged in the tap patches for the ARP-87 and the Volante, it would set the tempo but then drift up or down to a specific time while the ARP and Volante worked perfectly. Can’t explain it. When it was the only thing plugged into the MC it worked just fine. No idea.

So, I opted for the Monument from Walrus Audio. I figured it would play well with the ARP-87, and sure enough it’s working flawlessly with the MicroClock. I also LOVE the harmonic tremolo option, sounds amazing.

I also have a Chase Tone Secret Preamp coming, and I have negative room on this board with the current configuration. I’m toying around moving either the Deco or Iridium off the board and using them externally. I’m also contemplating a Big Sky. It never ends.

Big fan of the Direct Drive, been using it as my second stage for a while. Big, punchy, cuts well! Love the colour scheme as well.

TELEparty

Silver Supporting Member
Big fan of the Direct Drive, been using it as my second stage for a while. Big, punchy, cuts well! Love the colour scheme as well.
There’s just something special about the combo of a Gain Changer and a Direct Drive. On my old board that was my go to, along with a Timmy. In the back of my mind I knew I’d end up there again, and here we are haha. The Burn Unit is super interesting sounding, especially with the toggles and tone control. If you ever get a chance check it out

Kylote

What's the best tone match patch to get my feet wet? I have like 20 WT patches already, but none of the new TM. Thinking maybe the supreme because in terms of physical amps I've played Vox almost exclusively the last 15 years (AC15CC1 to an AC50CC2 and now an AC15HW1X) and the Matchless being my most used Helix amp...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom